Newcastle Going Dutch And Showing Some Real Ambition

Newcastle signed their second Dutchmen of the summer yesterday when Newcastle announced the signing of Daryl Janmaat early in the afternoon, and his signing seems to have gone down very well with Newcastle fans, and he’s the 6th signing of the summer for Newcastle United, who (even) seem to be showing some ambition this summer.

daryl janmaat st james park howay the lads

Daryl Janmaat at St. James’ Park earlier this week

There have been many false dawns since Bobby Robson left the club in late August of 2004 – sacked because 5th place just wasn’t good enough for Newcastle at that time – so we shouldn’t get too carried away.

But Newcastle have done great so far this summer – that’s a fact and it’s  hard to argue against it.

Let’s just pinch myself to see if I’ve not died  and gone to heaven – ouch that hurt  – no it really must be true. 😀

Newcastle have signed two Dutchmen this summer in Janmaat and Sien de Jong, and Louis van Gaal is the new manager at Manchester United and Ronald Koeman at Southampton.

Janmaat has talked today about a potential Dutch invasion and that Newcastle is a club moving forward:

“It’s nice to have more Dutch players around me – it’s four now and it’s more than the French!” “Now it’s a Dutch invasion!”

“I spoke a few times with Tim Krul and he gave me a lot of good advice,” “He has been here for something like 10 years so he knows it well.”

“My feeling was good when I first spoke with Newcastle,  and it’s the perfect step for me, a club moving forward.”  “It’s a marvelous stadium and everything feels right.”

“I knew of the interest in the last two weeks and then I was thinking about it. I spoke to Newcastle and had a good feeling about this club.”

“Louis van Gaal is a great coach and I wish him all the best,” “I don’t know when the game is yet.” “And my old trainer Ronald Koeman is at Southampton. He’s a good trainer and he gave me a lot of confidence.”

“He’s one of the best I’ve ever worked with.”

Tim Krul signed on as a 17 year old back in the summer of 2005, when Graeme Souness was the manager so Tim has been on Tyneside nine years, and we hope the World Cup legend stays here.

And the four players Newcastle now have on board also includes Vurnon Anita, who signed on two years ago from Ajax.

We could even sign more Dutchmen this summer, although we have not been linked with any more from  Holland this summer – so far.

In any case Newcastle are making a good impression this summer of being an ambitious football club.

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• Average_Contents

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn’t say we’ve got ambition so far ed as we’ve only replaced what’s been sold and are yet to strengthen the squad so in effect we’re still in the same position as last year….theres time of course but I can’t see us paying for a quality striker and CB and if we don’t then I’ll have to deem this window a failure and that would be a,shame as we’ve got some good attacking players in too!

• Mattroge

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

In regards to the previous thread I can’t pretend to be an expert on Grenier (sounds very good by all reports) he shouldn’t be a priority for us as we plenty of midfielders at the club. I’m simply repeating what others have said I know but it’s painfully obvious that we need a proven striker & a centre back.

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

From previous
    2011-2012
    Great successful season,can’t blame AP
    2012-2013
    Unlucky,with injuries & suspensions that drag us to hell,can’t blame AP
    2013-2014
    We lost key player bad time,led us with no creativity and game control
    Can’t blame AP
    2014-2015
    Big test for pards,he has to deliver..
    Jail
    So how come you say AP an excuse person and a lier considering the conditions we were in ?

• martoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Let’s see NUFC French players: Sissoko, Haidara, Goofy, HBA, MYM, Marveaux, Obertan,Cabella, Riviere. I’m sure 9 is more than 4 – anyway it is not so important that RB’s can count 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Martoon,
    From previous,
    To this day nobody knows what the rationale behind the appointment of JfK was or the reasons he left, but how could he sign players without funds. If Ashley wanted players in he would have stuck his nose in, that January we bought five, people claimed Mashers got personally involved why didn’t he again if he really wanted us to push on.

• Average_Contents

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM

ethio

You keep telling yourself that….clearly deluded!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM

martoon,
    Maybe he isn’t counting Mareaux, MYM, HBA, Obertan as they are all for sale (allegedly). Still that makes 5, I wonder who else is being flogged off then? 😉

• Average_Contents

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Why did I bite? God knows as now it’s more than likely it will try and interact with me :-!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

ethitoon,
    He blamed the length of the grass once against a third division Rangers after a pi$$ poor performance.

• outsidethebox

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

ave contents….i as well as most toon supporters have been crying out for commanding centre back and a striker/goalscorer ……for the past two years it has been mind numbingly obvious that these two positions need addressing ….time and time again we are linked with wingers that can also play striker..and full backs that can also despite being only 5,11 play centre back…..happy with transfers so far but need centre back and striker….rant over

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Average

Agreed. All we’ve done thus far is replace what we’ve absolutely needed to survive in this league. I don’t see that as ambitious in the slightest, just necessity.

I’d class us as being ambitious if we get 2/3 additional players of top quality that can then improve us. It’s amazing how some people can be so easily manipulated into thinking that we have finally become ambitious. We haven’t, we will continue to the absolute minimum necessary to be at a top 12 level.

• Santon03

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Huntelaaaaarrrrr next

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I also still think it’s imperative we get someone, or devise a way for the midfield to link up with the attack. Without that, no matter who the personnel are, we will continue to see the same ineffective Pardew football.

• Our Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I repeat what I said yesterday, the 11 starting 11 now compared to last season looks weaker on paper!!

Jail – don’t forget blaming the press for losing to Stoke!!

• pawl250

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM

ethiohood

I agree somewhat with the whole Pardew had that great season, followed by an awful one (mind I agree the amount of injuries were actually shocking, we finished top of the injury table comfortably) and then last season when he lost two of his star players and no strengthening was done in either window other than Remy on loan.

Now for me I agree its not 100% Pardews fault, but I do feel that last season a better manager would have guided what was a great start, into a great finish.

The whole back half of last season was nothing short of a shambles not only for the club, but Pardew personally given his headbutt malarky.

You cannot honestly say he deserves to be at the club based on January to date.

I also totally disagree with you about your dream team.

I would love for Newcastle to sign Grenier, he would be a dream signing for me. But I think we need a striker and a top class centre back more.

A dream end to the window would be Richards, Grenier, Hernandez in.

Out Obertan, RTaylor, Ben Arfa and Marveaux

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I wonder what Ashley will set as the target for this season. If we get another striker then anything less than 7th is failure. I think if we don’t do well this season Ashley won’t accept any excuses.

• Santon03

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Ethio

Not entirely pardew fault, i agree. It’s 90% his fault.
    even with cabaye, we cant score from corner kicks. even if cabaye stayed, he could get injured. Other managers lose their key players too, but good managers changed their tactics and pardew does not. He keep making excuses instead doing something to get results with what he has. I dont want excuses l, i want to see good football and more determination to get results even when we are in trouble and it wasn’t there. I know loosing cabaye will be difficult, but i want to see we can do good job even without him. Sometimes i think pardew relying too much on the 1st eleven and no other backup plans or tactics.

• ToonTiger

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I’ve been told at least 2 fellow supporters were on the downed MH17 flight en route to NZ ahead of the tour.

Condolences from all the footballing fraternity

• JAMSHA

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

R.I.P to all those who lost life boardng flight MH17 🙁

• shanghai fan

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I agree with ethiotoon – 11/12 was a great season and in the 12/13 season there was an injury/sharpness impact as there has been for every Europa league team, which has always led to a Europa league team struggling in the domestic league of the same year (also Stoke Swansea). The problem is the revenues in the Europa are just not enough to fund a lot of signings, but the additional games are very taxing on the squad