23 year-old Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette is on the verge of signing a three-year contract extension at the French club, and that will come as a disappointment to Newcastle United, who already bid earlier this summer for the top young French player.
Alexandre Lacazette – set to stay at Lyon?
The news coming thorough is that Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas has told the French press that the club are negotiating with the player and his agent on an improved contract to stay at Lyon.
reporters in France that officials are currently in talks with Lacazette about extending his stay.
The Magpies were targeting the 23-year-old to complement recent signing Emmanuel Riviere from Monaco, having missed out on Bafetimbi Gomis and Pierre-Michel Lasogga.
This is what Aulas has said today:
“We had lunch with him and his agent Thursday.”“We are on track to achieving a three-year extension, we confirmed yesterday. It is for him to make his decision. He is under contract until 2016. He is a young player.”
Newcastle pinpointed Alexandre as one of their striker targets this summer but were rebuffed by Lyon when they said they wanted €16M (£12.8M) or the two times capped French International.
And it wasn’t just the transfer fee that was a barrier to Newcastle with the player himself saying he wanted to play for a club that plays in the Champions League.
And that’s not Newcastle.
With Luis Suarez moving to Barcelona, Liverpool have entered the chase for the Lyon striker – but it’s looking like we will miss out on (yet) another striker target.
Newcastle have already missed out on German striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga who went to Hamburg, Bafe Gomis who joined Swansea, and West Ham United have just signed the Pachuca striker Enner Valencia on a five-year contract for about £14M, with the Ecuador international awaiting a work permit to complete the deal.
Newcastle still need two good strikers brought in this summer, and who they may be is a very good question.
Below are our three social media sites: