Are Newcastle Interested In This French Striker?

Newcastle have been linked with Cedric Bakambu of Sochaux since last January, but we’re not sure the 23 year-old is a good enough striker for Newcastle.

cedric bakambu

Cedric Bakambu – 23 year-old Sochaux striker

There is news today that Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis has put in a bid for the striker, and we know Newcastle have missed out on a number of our striker targets this summer already.

Bakambu wants to leave his French club this summer, after they were relegated to Ligue 2 in May, and he’s available for around €3M – if that – and Palace have also been interested in the player since January.

It had been expected the Sochaux striker would move to Rennes in January, but Rennes signed Ola Toivonen from PSV instead for a fee of around £2M.

Cedric has scored 21 goals for Sochaux in 103 total appearances over the last four seasons, and last season he scored  7 goals in 31 games for his struggling club.

Bakambu is a French youth international and has represented his country at U18, U19 and U20 level sand in 38 appearances for the French youth sides, he has scored 8 goals.

Bakambu was also part of the French squad that won the 2010 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship on home soil.

We’d be surprised if this player is high on Newcastle’s wanted list.

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Anyone seen Vuckic getting criticism for posting a pic on the way to NZ? What do you lot make of it?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Jail

Was born in Tanzania, lived there nearly 10 years before parents moved back to UK and yes I am indeed now in Kent.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Unless I have missed it or misread the statement by Pardew but it didn’t actually say we were looking to recruit.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM

average

a bit tasteless tbh, but hey the guy’s a young footballer, probably doesn’t engage brain and didn’t mean any harm, just didn’t think.

• tequilamag

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Pardew
    “At the moment we have a healthy squad which we’re looking to increase.”

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Incredible gesture by the Mackems for recognizing and having fund raising for the 2 who passed away in the accident.

Just amazing from them…

• yorkshire_magpie

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM

If we don’t sign a top striker and CB then I think this window will be more or less a failure.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Slank

Refer to Tequilamag lol saved me doing it 😀

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Rotonda

I agree mate

• Mr Funk

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I don’t think we are interested in this striker.

Can someone link to the picture by Vuckic. Thanks

• yorkshireToon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

We’re already taking a risk with rivière with this poor goal scoring record, we need a bigger name who’s definitely going to bang in the goals

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Just read the last article, 4 new players, really Ed?

If we get rid of Ben Arfa or Marveaux i’d bring another winger in, if we get rid of Yanga-Mbiwa (which I highly doubt) we’ll need another centre back.

At present we need a main striker, and perhaps some promising youth to come in. We have 4 main centre backs and trust should be placed in 3 of them, if we’re gonna sell one it should be Steven Taylor.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Nothing wrong with what Vuckic did.

John Alder and Liam Sweeney no doubt will have appreciated it smiling down on him.

• croftus5678

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM

@1 ac

i dont get it did he show himself smiling on a plane ? i cant see whats so upsetting about that !

i heard it was exactly the same journey (not sure if true or not) but still pic of him being relieved is good its not like we all want these things to happen so its good there safe isnt it ?

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Ben Arfa & Marveaux have been kept behind to train with the youth and get back into full fitness. Rumours are we’re mutually terminating Jonas’ contract. Ferguson and Obertan will probably (hopefully) be sold.

Slank
    He posted a picture of them going to NZ, no mention of planes or anything. Shouldn’t have to apologise really.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM

tequilamag

Thanks, I missed it. My eyes tend to glaze over reading Pardew statements.

Hope it has legs and not Pardew wishful thinking. Good all the same, ta.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Mr Funk

Daily Mail

• tequilamag

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Slank, we live in hope mate. I am sure they are looking to get another striker and we need one. Excellent transfer window so far but still not made the most important signing yet.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM

tequilamag

A centre forward and a centre back will do for me.

And sell / remove Obertan, Marveaux and You Know Who (is that OK Jesper?)

• croftus5678

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM

@slank and taquila

the way pards plays and the players he’s signing i doubt we will get a main striker instead opting for 3 no10’s to counter attack and pack the midfield (like barca but without barcas players or manager)

it will mean the end of the iconic no9 if it is the case something i’m very proud of being a toon fan but if it works i’ll take my hat off to him.

• Mr Funk

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Lacazatte – doesn’t have a great scoring record except for last season

I think it is going to be very difficult to find a regularly scoring striker. It will be more likely we are looking for potential ability.

• tequilamag

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

croftus, I think Pardew is a bit long in the tooth to suddenly adopt a system without a No9. It’s the hardest position to recruit for. I just hope it is sorted sooner rather than later.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

croftus5678

Great if it works.

Was it Holland or Germany in the World Cup that played with 5 across the middle.

I remember one year not too long ago that Everton played without a recognized striker and did well but that was more by circumstances than by design .

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I would love to play the Barca 433 but we dony really have the manager for such an attacking formation. Would the current squad suit, i wonder….

Janmaat colo mym santon
    —————–tiote
    ——–socks—–cabella
    —riviere—-sdj——goofy

• Transfer Sage

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Can I pose a question to those who have knowledge of coaching?

We often on here dismiss a player before we see him as maybe we saw him 4/5 years before and he was poor/average…why is it footballers don’t seem to (or maybe just don’t get the recognition) for changing/improving.

Cricket is the sport I play and with lads from amateur to international level it’s quite common with them to drop down a level (or train over the off season) and improve their technique/abilities and come back a year or two later a totally different player.

• Transfer Sage

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Same goes for managers, surely you’d think they could go away and learn other tactical systems and methods of playing, even if they don’t use then often it must help to understand those systems to counteract other teams who do use them.

There seems to be little learning in the game compared to other sports.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I agree it’s an overreaction but we know what the press are like, especially the British! jump on anything

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

We are using sdj out of his favoured position if he is used as “messi” (i know, i know). However the midfeild is very strong.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

T sage

I enjoy a spot of cricket, althoug i am not a player.
    I did once, however, get roped into a village game, and after being allowed to bowl what i can only describe as a spell of “slow right arm PIES” i took the last wicket. My moment of cricketing glory.

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Av Con

Agree. Over reaction in extremis! It’s not as if he spat in yhe families faces ffs! The media need to hug some trees!

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Av Con

• croftus5678

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

@25 ts

i have absolutely no coaching exp but you are correct to a point !

last season mike williamson went from my most hated worst cb to the most improved and our best cb imo so he’s now my first choice over colo.

abied was another after arriving with high hopes and me watching hi play he was absolute rubbish and would have struggled in the confrence imo but since being on loan and basing him on the one game against oldham he’s gone up at least a couple of leagues.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Mark

lol

I was more of an all-rounder myself, left arm medium fast with a tendency to bat quite well at No7 although I did bat at NO6 they decided with my penchant for getting out to spinners (I used to think your getting smashed back over your head) often leaving my stumps unattended, I had to settle for NO7! Bastards!

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Av con.

I would have batted at 14. 13 if they were short of players 😉

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hugging trees is a definite way to alleviate the stress of being a reporter but I’ve a feeling they’d be worried about harming them if they did….do you also? 😉

• ethiotoon

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I just had a nice Machiato with virtual
    Judy sheinderline…anything I miss ?

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

In effect your the water boy then and by water boy I mean not actually taking it on the field just filling the bottles up 😀

• Markaccus

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

However i do have a natural leg spinners action, for some reason. The wicket i took id had the batsman (tail ender mind) tied in knots in my final over, and one flicked up onto the handle of his bat and the keeper took it. Umpire wasnt going to give it, but the batsman admitted it and walked. Dont see that sportsmanship in pro sport these days

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Transfer
    I use to coach cricket at our club – a lot of in form, technique/abilities in cricket is in the head.
    Batsmen get in a rut can’t get the ball off the square then something clicks – same for bowlers cannot get a wicket and fielding dropping catches.
    Coaching is more than just technique it is also getting their heads in the right place.
    Looks like game could be off today RAINNNNN