Newcastle Still Need Four New Players This Summer

This summer is turning out to be a very good transfer window for Newcastle United, and we have already signed six good players, but there’s still work to do before September rolls around, and Alan Pardew has admitted that today.

alan pardew at oldham

Alan Pardew – still work to do

Newcastle have signed Ayoze Perez, Jack Colback, Siem de Jong, Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere and Daryl Janmaat so far this summer.

But there is still work to do on two fronts – one is that we still need to strengthen some positions in the squad, and the second is there are a number of players who have to be moved out of the club this summer.

This is what Alan Pardew has told the Shields Gazette today:

“We had to be patient after the Cabaye sale,” “We couldn’t get it in that window, which was unfortunate. It made us finish without an offensive source.”

“We’ve tried to spread the net a little bit and spread a little bit more quality around the team. It’s a combination of a lot of work.”

“We still have a bit of work to do,” “At the moment we’ve got a healthy squad, which we’re looking to increase.”

In the last two seasons we have conceded 68 goals a year ago – which is the most goals we have ever conceded in the Premier League – and last season we conceded 59 goals – and that’s not a good record for the defense.

And with Yanga-Mbiwa likely leaving the club this summer, we need to sign another center back, and there are two 20 year-old center-backs we have been linked with this summer.

They  are Sporting Lisbon’s England born defender Eric Dier, and Lyon’s French U21 center-back Samuel Umtiti at Lyon, and both of them are now starters at their respective clubs – and either one of them would be a good signing by  Newcastle.

And Newcastle still haven’t replaced Yohan Cabaye with a creative midfield player, and there was news yesterday that Newcastle had put in an improved bid for Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier – who would be a terrific signing for us – if Newcastle will pay out the money to get this talented 23 year-old on board.

And of course we still need two strikers brought in, and we have missed out on a number of our striker targets this summer, and news yesterday that Loic Remy was close to signing a five year deal at Liverpool.

And then Newcastle have quite a few players to move out, and it’s looking ominous for those players who are not on the plane to New Zealand, and they include Ben Arfa, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabby Obertan, Jonas Gutierrez and Shane Ferguson.

And as we mentioned Yanga-Mbiwa is also available this summer.

Those six players will likely not be at Newcastle come September.

So while we have done very well so far this summer,  we still need a central defender, a central midfield player and two good strikers.

If we can get top players in for those positions before September tolls around – then it will have been a fantastic transfer window for Newcastle, and just what we needed

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• Mr Funk

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Maybe we are holding onto MYM as he did go on the flight to NZ/aotearoa

• Toon Tang

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Gan on pards, turn up that heat on Ashley as if you were tweaking the teats of the antichrist…

• geordie157

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I’m not a big Mbiwa fan but I think he’s staying and we should a better player this season.

The ones that were left behind, Jonas, Marv, Ben Arfa, Obertan and Fergs will hopefully be offloaded and free up wages/funds etc for a couple more additions.

• yorkshireToon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Quite promising to hear pardew saying we still need to strengthen!

I think the most important position we need a player is upfront. With this rivière lad supposed to be very quick, gouffran quick ish and cisse neither quick or a hold up man it’s clear what sort of striker we need.

I think pardew tries to play passing football but he can’t help but do lump ball every now and again. So personally I would rule out any small pacey strikers like Hernandez. So we need one of:

Benteke/ lukaku type…

Does anyone know any player of that type we could realistically be or have been linked with?

• Mr Funk

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM

@ Yorkshire

Abel Hernandez and Khouma Babacar are similar to Benteke / Lukaku – could be available for a reasonable price.

Also if we were in for Lassoga, i would presume we are looking for a similar type player.

• ethiotoon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM

From previous
    Jail for Ashley
    Well u r now I guess…
    There are a few here including me who die for this FC.but most of them here are arsenal fans.I think most nufc fans are in south Africa.Nigerians tend to arsenal as well..

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Don’t think any incoming business will be done this week with Pardew being away – maybe some outgoings.
    Yet I think the TOON will bring in one or two more players – maybe players way off the speculation radar before the season starts/window closes

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM

If those four leave that will be fourteen first team players that have left since our last significant transfer window and so far we have brought in six, definitely more work to be done before people start calling Mikey a genius.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Welcome to the blog ethiotoon, you weirdo 🙂

• beermonkey

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM

firebug

a top striker is a must but I bet our list of targets is dwindling

i would love to know who is left on it

• ethiotoon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

When he say a lot of work to be done come September, I assume he mean the concentration should now has to be keeping our key players like sissoko& krul,
    From leaving.but definitely one more player will come no matter what..

• croftus5678

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM

colo/willo/saylor in fact most of our cb’s have been absolute garbage in first first sometimes second season untill they adapt !

still have high hopes for mbiwa tbh.

• yorkshireToon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM

@funk

Can’t say I really know much about them, but with all the flaws of the way the club is run I do trust the scouting system so I’ll leave it up to graham Carr.

I honestly think if we signed a big name striker like lukaku (who I’d break the bank for because he’s only going to get better) we could break into that top 6.

Obviously that depends a lot on the defence but I’m still hoping yanga-mbiwa is gonna turn it around…

We’ve got to remember no European football is an advantage even if it is boring. I’m beginning to sound like pardew 😐

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Jail

Point taken, but I guess the nature of ethiotoon’s writing would possibly indicate he is from Africa. I too am actually from Tanzania and do indeed own some land in West Florida but am British caucasean! Funny old world.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Beermonkey

Maybe G2 was on to something with the midget Belgium strikers as there can’t be many more quality strikers left on our list

• ethiotoon

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Jail FA
    How about u ? Where r u from ?
    Don’t tell me from prison industry ?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Rotonda,
    I thought you lived in Kent ?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM

ethitoon,
    I’m from a small mining village in the North East of England.

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Anyone seen Vuckic getting criticism for posting a pic on the way to NZ? What do you lot make of it?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Yorkshire

Spot on there I think. Another striker like Lukaku but then again Martinez knew how to use him properly.

I too hope MYM stays as he is the only one who offers any pace at the back at all and in his right position I thought showed good potential.

I really have no faith in Willo (just not a footballer) or Saylor (the Geordie Bramble) and sadly now also Colo who was great at one time but the sands of time have caught up.

Ideally I would bring in Eric Dier for his height and footballing ability alongside MYM.

• bobby mango

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Considering we’ll probably be playing 1 up front I don’t think we need 2 more strikers.
    1 to drawer striker would be enough in that area, given we signed Riviere, SDJ and Peter.
    A first choice CB would be next on my list. Someone who will be an automatic starter. Those young CBs would nice additions but not the answer.
    Creative midfielder next, although I see this as a nice to have. Given the squad as it is another CM would necessitate shifting Anita.

• firebug666

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM

beermonkey

We could all sit here till we are blue in the face trying to work out who our targets could be. We keep saying that our striker list is growing ever shorter, but we may still have targets near the top of that list that the press have not cottoned on to yet. It is definitely a case of only time will tell.

• Sav

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Wrong de Jong.
    At least we got the right one in the end. And whatever about Hatem or Marv, its a big bonus for Charners if he can find some other mugs to take Obertan off our books. Pity we didn’t send along the gimlet-eyed Graham Carr to assess him before taking SAF’s word for it that he could play. The old codger must still be chuckling.

• firebug666

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Jail for Ashley

I am also from a small mining village in the North East.

• firebug666

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I really don’t see that it matters. Life goes on, people should not have to change who they are, or act differently.

• SA Toon

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM

@ethiotoon You’re right – Plenty NUFC fans in SA – A long way from SJP, but good TV coverage! For me, the real need is still a senior striker (Lukaku, Bony, Benteke, Remy etc) and a solid CB, but I fancy Grenier to finish off a good looking midfield! Unlikely to happen though imo.

• Malta Mag

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Are you people realists or what?? Two strikers more, a centre back and creative midfielder?? Get out of here!!!! We’ve just splashed out on a class player in SDJ a quality wide player in Cabella, and international right back, Sunderland’s best player by far last season and a couple of strikers, one the finished article and one with great potential and still we act like spoilt brats. Remember we haven’t got rid of anyone other than Debuchy so in my mind it’s a good experienced centre back and cheque book should be put back in the safe deposit box behind the photo of us winning the Fairs Cup.
    Of course we could buy more but let’s just be a little grateful for once.

• SA Toon

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM

@Malta Mag Jeez, I think you need to calm down. We’re all delighted at how this transfer window has gone so far, and provided we don’t lose any of our senior players (Tiote, Sissoko, Krul etc) and don’t have serious injuries we will probably do OK as we stand. It remains to be seen, however, whether Rivière is the “finished article” (seeing as he’s never played in the EPL) and, in any event, we’re going to need more depth in front of goal if we’re going to challenge for positions this season. As for the CB, it seems we’re in agreement, particularly if MYM leaves. Personally, I would like to see him stay though. If you remember, Collo was terrible when he started out in the EPL and look at how he developed. As for Greniere….. Well, he is more of a want than a need – Great player.

• Malta Mag

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM

SA Toon, aye pal you’re probably right but a few on here make my piss boil. Let’s be honest mate your assessment of Rivierre could be said about any foreigner coming in however I do feel Cisse just need the right type of play behind him in order to start doing the business and Armstrong has to be one of the four main strikers along with Goofy who I feel would be more potent through the middle.
    I’m excited mate to be honest but like all of us who have supported this club through the years, I’m still holding my breath. As for MYM, I’m a fan and still say he’ll turn out the best of the bunch if faith was put in him rather than just using him when Collo gets injured.
    Howay the lads!!!!!

• g.s.tooner

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I’m worried if we get Grenier whether we will use SDJ properly. Both are central attacking midfielders who are capable of pulling the strings of our offensive play, but if we get Grenier as well will the temptation be to play SDJ in a strikers role? He can play there but is not good enough for the EPL IMO as a striker.

And more worryingly will it deprioritise the need for another striker if Pards would be tempted to play Riviere and SDJ up front with a midfield of –

Goufy – Grenier – Sissoko/Tiote – Cabella

This would be a travesty as what we are starting to build is a quite interesting team capable of playing good football if all our new signings gel together.

But to suceed this season we need a goal scorer, another Remy who when they get the ball you have a feeling in the back of your head that they are going to slot it past the keeper. We cant get distracted from that necessity otherwise its guaranteed to be another mediocre season with mediocre play!

Get a Striker through the door!!!!!!