Sunderland Fans Show Their Class

A fund has been set up by a couple of Sunderland fans in support of the terrible tragedy of last Thursday, when a passenger plane was shot down over Ukraine that killed 290 innocent people, and it included two dedicated Newcastle fans – John Alder and Liam Sweeney – who were on their way to see Newcastle United play in New Zealand.

nufc emblemsunderland fc emblem

There has been a pouring out of support for the two fans, and they were literally killed supporting their team – Newcastle United.

And it warms the heart to see Sunderland fans putting our rivalry to one side, and expressing their grief at the terrible event, and they have shown their unity with Newcastle fans.

This is what the Sunderland lads have put on their site:

“The incredibly sad news that has emerged this week about two Newcastle fans who have passed has left us all shocked and deeply saddened. Donating here will help pay for a floral tribute to those fans and to unity between the two clubs. Any extra money will be donated to a charity that has yet to be decided.”

“Thank you for your time, effort and donations. “

“RIP to John Alder and Liam Sweeney, who were both far too young.”

Here is that site where donations can be made.

This kind of tragic event shows what things are important in life, and Newcastle United immediately put out a communication, and the players will wear black arm bands for the two games in New Zealand and there will be a tribute to the fans at out first game at home to Newcastle United.

It’s heart warming that Sunderland fans have done this – it’s a classy move to show their support for John and Liam in what is a terrible tragedy.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:49 AM

REPOST

Jesper @ 45

Please no. I apologize in advance. A mistake on my part.

My lips / fingers (I guess) are sealed on that particular subject, promise !

• tequilamag

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Brilliant effort by the Sunderland supporters, read the thread and not a snidey comment either.

• Slank

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Well done Sunderland lads.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Slank…wise choice mate

Bambams…I have / or are wondering the same.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I think “stable” is a good word to describe Man City – they’ve got good players in all areas -and decent understudies. Their weakness last season was Martin Demichelis – it was apparent to see in a lot of games -but Pellegrini stuck with him.
    If Arsenal had better forwards there is a good argument that they could have done better last season. so I would expect them to do well this season.
    Man U need to get rid of Giggs and the “old school/link to Ferguson” -they no doubt will buy themseves out of trouble -don’t think van Gaal with put up with any muching about.
    As for us we need a goalscorer and a decent centre back at a minimum -otherwise all the decent signings -will be wasted yet again. The hierarchy might think they have enough now for mid table -if that is their mentallity the circle of poor results will come again -with the better players wanting away.
    I have the feeling that to some we are now a decent stepping stone to another club -not because of our aspirations – more good signings might refute this belief.

• jazzyp

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Puts life into perspective really when an atrocity like this happens
    Sickening to hear this morning that the russian separatists are looting the stricken bodies.
    I hope that this is not washed under the table and someone will be held accountable

• Mister Tuff

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM

error munching ??? = messing

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Tragic loss, but it has been extremely moving to see the way the North East have united to support each other in the wake of loosing 2 of our own
    Great effort to raise funds to give these lads a proper send off too

Hopefully any remaining funds will go to support families of others have who have lost loved ones

• Average_Contents

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Well done Sunderland fans, a,nice touch although I was a little disappointed when I watched a video on SSN with our own tribute of a few small bunches of flowers and tops but I suppose it was early afternoon when they decided to film it and not many people were around, hopefully it’s massive now.

RIP lads

On transfer related news, percy wirh some info! Not holding my breath though!

Pardew spoke of the need to rebuild his squad this summer, and Cabella, signed for £7m, is among the arrivals.

“We had to be patient after the Cabaye sale,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“We couldn’t get it in that window, which was unfortunate. It made us finish without an offensive source.

“We’ve tried to spread the net a little bit and spread a little bit more quality around the team. It’s a combination of a lot of work.”

Newcastle, however, are still looking to sign an experienced striker, and there could also be a number of outgoings, with Hatem Ben Arfa and Sylvain Marveaux available for transfer.

“We still have a bit of work to do,” added Pardew, whose side today arrived in New Zealand for a two-game tour of the country.

“At the moment we’ve got a healthy squad, which we’re looking to increase.”

• Bambams

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM

At times like this rivalry ends.
    Respect to the Sunderland lads.

I am not going to try and understand what the hell is going on over there but a commercial flight. Cowards

RIP

• jazzyp

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Remy in talks with liverpool, deal expected to be done by monday.
    Lacazette looking like he will be staying put and on the verge of signing a new 3 tear deal
    Be interesting to see what out And out forward we peddle our interest in for the remainder of the transfer window

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I just got a message from my mate who runs a bus to the away games and he’s going up to put some flowers on, as will I as I’m on my way to Edinburgh today.

• Bambams

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Average contents
    Fella I read the same on newsnowNewcastle…..

I just think they are possibly waiting to see where Remy decides before moving to the next on the list.

As decent a player he was its my opinion now I dont want Remy. Only want players who want to play for the club.

There is always that out of contract Nigerian forward available !

• nut meg

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Well done the lads from Sunderland. Good to see football
    “families” unite in times such as these.Many thanks from a magpie in Thailand.

• jazzyp

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Jail
    Good on ya pal

• ethiotoon

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM

ED…looks like the pilot and officials from where the plane took off should know the situation in Ukraine before flying over…

• jazzyp

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Ethio
    The flight path was deemed a safe flight path by the relevant authorities. And was used by many other aircraft

• Davies

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Well done, Sunderland. Beautiful gesture.

• yo-yo

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Good to see the NE holding togther at such a sad time and a grand gesture by the Sunderland fans. Whole thing a horrendous and even 100 years after WW1 we still have to be vigilant in Europe

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

@average contents.

It’s Newcastle fans raising money on that site also as myself and a few of my mates have donated a tenner and shared on our Facebook wall 🙂 credit to the sunderland fans for kickstarting the donations

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

@average contents..

• SA Toon

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I know it has already been said, but I need to add “Big Ups” to these Sunderland lads.

• GEORDIE69