The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

More Evidence Ben Arfa Will Be Leaving Newcastle

8:52 am, Sunday, July 20th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

There had been some discussion when Siem de Jong joined us from Ajax earlier this summer, about whether the Dutch International would get the number 10 shirt worn by Ben Arfa, and that it could be a dicey situation which could further upset the French International winger.

hatem ben arfa flying

Ben Arfa – to think he was once flying at Newcastle

But there are reports in France that in fact Ben Arfa will not be given any squad number, and with Ben Arfa being left behind and not on the trip to New Zealand, and having to train with the Reserves because he reported back to training overweight – it looks like Ben Arfa’s time at the club is over.

Hatem Ben Arfa was fined round £1.6M for reporting back to pre-season training 3 lbs over his specified return weight, and we cannot help but think it is a complete waste of Ben Arfa’s talent.

And with what’s happened in pre-season the player himself has to accept responsibility for the plight he finds himself in – although it was probably already decided in the summer that he would not be on the plane to New Zealand.

We still  think that Ben Arfa will try to run out the one year left on his contract at Newcastle.

And he probably will either want to go out on loan for the season somewhere – or else stay at Newcastle – where presumably he will continue to train with Reserves side – which is the worst case scenario for both parties.

The Ben Arfa situation right now is not a good one for either the player himself or the club.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Contracts · Hatem Ben Arfa · Transfer News and Rumours

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 gaz 44 // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Good for all pardews faults I don’t think dropping Ben arfa is one of them
    He’s a great individual but football isn’t just about how many you can take on its about picking the right pass, making unselfish runs so the striker can find space, its a team game and you’ve to work for that team and not just work when it suits you.. People compare him to messi which is tripe messi will chase people down (granted doesn’t tackle but the way barca play its all into hounding as a pack till the balls won back which he buys into this ethos) messi will look for the pass if that’s the better option. Messi is always looking to work defenders even when he hasn’t got the ball.
    Ben arfa is selfish and unfit for me I’ll be glad to see him go.. A few moments of individual brilliance will never make him first name on my team sheet unlike some on here but that’s the thing with football its all about opinions and that’s why I love it

• 2 nut meg // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Fined 1.6m ,you sure Ed??????

• 3 toonincheek // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM

£1.6M – Ed? A typo methinks.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM

More Evidence Ben Arfa Will Be Leaving Newcastle contra We still think that Ben Arfa will try to run out the one year left on his contract at Newcastle!

Ed…which is it?

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

So if he doesn’t get a squad number then he can’t be named in the 25 man squad
    So even if Pardew gets the boot he can’t be bought back into the team

Where’s the point in staying Benny? Just be another year of your career vanished when realistically you should be at your peak

• 6 nut meg // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

That’s a lot of pies !

• 7 JamesToon // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

re-post
    I wouldn’t mind andy back, he’s someone you always need in a derby. big, strong, causes defenders havoc. Its what altidore has done in the last two derbies, as crap as he is, he made taylor and willo his b1tches. I’d pay a max of £10m for andy and max of 65k/a week

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Benny just stick it to the man !

…I am voting for anyone who will standup to this tyrant!

• 9 JamesToon // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM

on the carroll debate, he was actually forced to leave us by ashley and llambias
    Carroll sent text messages to Steve Wraith, the editor of the Toon Talk fanzine, in which he said: “They have kind of said we don’t want u but want me to say I want to go. And I said I don’t wanna go.
    “They said they wanted the money. Gutted to be leaving my home club but I was practically told to go. Don’t want to leave. That’s why I signed five-year deal.”

He wanted to stay, he said in an interview in december that he wanted to stay at newcastle for the rest of his career.

• 10 Sliema // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM

From previous

ToonMatt

Do I even watch football? Yeh mate, I think I probably watch too much tbh. What a pathetic and short-sighted opinion you currently have on the matter. He’s a shocking player. He’s 25 and he’s achieved sweet FA. He’s on 120k a week and has cost a combined 52million quid.

I hope he feels absolutely ashamed of himself. He DOES NOT love the club. I’m telling you now mate, I love the club, and if I was playing CF for them in that wonderful, historic number 9 shirt, I’d never head off to the bindippers for some extra dosh. He had it all with us, better money than he could ever wish for, got his first England call-up, he was idolised and loved by young kids, he was living the dream.

He’s wrecked his career. It’s not just injuries either. He hasn’t done enough on the few occasions he’s managed to put down his pint and hobble onto the pitch.

All that cost, puts a weight of expectation on your shoulders. The most expensive English player ever? What an embarrassment.

If we bring him back, you’ll disappear off this blog by December, so huge a let down he’ll prove to be.

• 11 valle // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It promised so much, yet delivered so little… I wonder if things would have been different if he had another manager. But even though im not the biggest fan of Pardew, I have a suspicion that HBA is the problem, not by lack of skill, but something with his attitude/dicipline/mental health.

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Jesper
    Yeah that’ll show Pardew!
    I’ll sit in the reserves, won’t be named in the squad so will have no chance what so ever to feature for Newcastle ever again regardless of who the manager is before my contract runs out and I’ve missed nearly 3 seasons of football and am now a 28 year old winger with no match fitness

I’m sure Pardew is sh1tting bricks

• 13 expatmag // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Jesper

Whats the odds on Meyler “beaning” him next time Hull are in toon?…..lol

• 14 xiaofeiii // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM

this is pure dumb move.

he is definitely much better than 14 players out of the 25 man, no matter how many players we will buy.

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

James Toon
    What does that have to do with the fact he’s injury probe and too expensive with huge wages?

• 16 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Here are Ben Arfa’s Premier league stats for 2013/14

Minutes played 1312 (about the equivalent of 14 games)
    Goals 3
    Assists 6

It’s a myth that he did not contribute last season. That’s 9 goals he had a hand in from 14 games. And he would be much better playing in a) an attacking team & b) for a manager that had faith in him & c) wasn’t mainly thrown on when we were 2-0 down and being pinned back in our own half. Lots of players thrive on confidence and when your idiot manager is constantly criticizing him, dropping him, and asking him to play an unnatural role then he’s only going to play to half his potential. Cabella will be the next talent for Pardew to mess up.

• 17 hdavid23 // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Just kick him out of the club finally. The man’s a liability, has the worst attitude ever and he’s fatter than the Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies… Waste of space and money.

• 18 Average_Contents // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Tads

I think it’s because someone mentioned about why would he of gone to Liverpool if he loved us so much, James is saying he was forced out which I’ve also heard

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I’m going to paint a one metre square patch in my garage and watch it dry, or discuss Andy Carroll.

• 20 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM

JFA
    Sounds like a plan tbf

• 21 JamesToon // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

the next mike williamson

The position to play benny in that suits pardew is a false 9 role like october last year in a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3, where he doesn’t need to have defensive duties.

Krul
    Janmaat M’Biwa Coloccini Haidara
    Tiote
    Cabella Sissoko de Jong Gouffran
    HBA

• 22 Bambams // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I know its split on Benny….

But I would of loved to see him play at the toon under a manager like Keegan or Sir Bob

He was bought whilst Pards wad here I am sure so what’s to say roll on five years time we are not reading the same with Pards and Remy ?

Benny is a flair player who I think should be played behind the striker or two…..

Not as a running defensive/cover every blade of grass midfielder.

Just my opinion….

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM

@soccer_sauce: Few Newcastle fans asking us about the Andy Carroll to #NUFC rumour in the papers today. As we have stated before-HUGELY unlikely.

Lacazette has confirmed he won’t be leaving

• 24 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM

When Ben Arfa comes off the bench, it usually wakes the crowd from their Pardew induced coma. He’s the Last of the Entertainers. All the most exciting moments I can think of from Pardew’s reign have come from either Ben Arfa or Cisse. Sure Cabaye’s passing was classy, Ba’s goals were useful, and Tiote’s efforts admirable, but there’s nothing better than seeing a player run at the opposition. However, it’s not something Pardew wants to see.

• 25 Average_Contents // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM

The next mike Williamson

It’s a myth people bought into unfortunately

I’m not saying bennys hasn’t any faults far from it, but to be made a scapegoat when your brought onto the pitch when your teams already losing 0-2 through negative hoofball and a unwillingness to attack a defensively frail manure team, then react to it I don’t blame the lad!

Unfortunately for him it’s not about the weight issue anymore it’s about parsnips ego and no matter what shape he turned up to pre-season for he was going to be in this situation regardless imo!

All the evidence points to this scenario as proved by marv turning up fit as a fiddle but being banished too!

Of course we will never know what’s gone on but I’m of the opinion that their both to blame but I’d rather have benny at the club with a clean slate then that lying silver tongued league 1 chancer!

• 26 darren smith // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Back to HBA. He on his day is a world beater. But he has a poor attitude, when we first signed him he was doing the same thing at Lyon. Then his attitude with the French squad got him the boot. All I’m saying is it could be a good thing for him to go. We need harmony in the dressing room, and I’m sure I read near the end of last season he upset it.

• 27 cestriasteve // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Reading gaz44 comments and then the next mike williamsons stats how can benne be accused of not being a team player 6 assists in 14 games that must be a really high stat for the EPL.

Not that I’m a benny fan mind you but the stats don’t lie.

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Re- previous thread, superb comments by bladeuser and sliema. As for you Charlie I certainly wasn’t crying in my beer, best bit of business ever 36M for a half a season wonder!

ed

Carroll really isn’t good news.

Much rather we had signed 2 quick and mobile goal scoring strikers like valencia and zarate, no wonder west ham want rid of carroll.

What was the point of getting a few decent technical players to play passing football if we are just going to lump it to carroll for the few games of the season he is fit.

Just when things are looking up, reality hits that we still have the worst manager and c–ppiest sponsor and now even more hoofball to look forward to. Pardew won’t even have to lie about it any more as carroll is his ready made excuse. G-RRR!!!!

• 29 ethiotoon // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Jail fa
    You didn’t tell me about worldwide fanbase forum..

• 30 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Next Mike, good post about Hatem.

Of the lad hadn’t had months of being scapegoated, misused and undervalued, would he be this demotivated? A highly doubt it. I’d be de-motivated under Pardull as well.

For a flair player to have a team which sits back for most of the game is bad enough, but for his manager to publicly blame him for his input, when he has indeed got us points (ironically bailing Pardew out of mess again) then it is unfair.

Telling Hatem he needs more goals and assists to play, yet as Next Mike listed, he has dont that. Shola kept playing although having zero goals and the same with Jonas. The movement around him is dreadful, even when we came fifth and were nicking goals after many disjointed performances.

Pardew is a two faced liar.

There has been a long road of deterioration by Pardew for Ben Arfa. He was sparkling when we played 3 up front and attacked for those few games. Just as he did for his other clubs until defensive tactics were employed. Niafron spoke of it before.

It’s all there to unlock the best from him. Pardew doesn’t have a clue, or the key.

• 31 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I’m not even sure those stats include the penalties he won us. He might not be as good as Robben or Ronaldo, but he’s probably the closest we’re likely to get and with the right team/ manager he could be twice as good as he is now. He was magnificent that half season Pardew was forced into playing 4-3-3 (after Pardew finally admitted Obertan and 4-4-2 wasn’t the way to go)

• 32 Thetruthhurts // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I am on Hatem Ben Arfa side over this issue. It is a disgrace how he has been treated and never mind players agents he should be consulting legal representatives for victimisation and a potential constructive dismissal. Pardew, like Newcastle United have become under his leadership and the Ashley regime, is a shambles. It hurts like hell and the sooner the regime has gone the better! They are laughing at us fans!

• 33 Sav // Jul 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Remember, accounts last season indicated it was the players as much or more than Pardew who had had enough of Ben Arfa. And its not the first time. It is a shame if its the end of the road here but he probably enjoyed his longest successful spell, played the most matches and scored some of his most spectacular goals for Newcastle United. We can all be thankful for that.

The club needs to bring in someone to mediate, as if this drags on it will be bad for everyone.

• 34 Carl819 // Jul 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Blame Pards all you like for H.B.A plight but he didn’t fill him full of pies

• 35 Lynny // Jul 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Sick to My back eye of logging on to see the same IDIOTS having a pop at every article ed writes! How about You dont read them dick heads????!!!!! I enjoy reading them all. Dont agree with some, but thas nee way Im going to now is there? They all make good reading though. Rant ova

previous post: Newcastle Make Big Move To Bring Andy Carroll Home

next post: Are Newcastle Trying To Sign This Top PL Striker?