Joining Newcastle Was A Great Step – It’s A Great Challenge

Siem de Jong has already impressed at Newcastle and there’s not many players who score their first goal for the club after only being on the filed for 14 minutes but that’s just exactly what Siem did last Tuesday at Oldham when he brilliantly rifled the ball into the top right hand corner of the net after his free kick had rebounded off the wall.

Oldham Athletic v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Siem de Jong – after scoring brilliant goal at Oldham

You talk about talent and technique.

And Luuk has already been given some responsibilities by manager Alan Pardew and he is now one of our two vice captains – Cheick Tiote being the other one – who played well last season when he was captain of the side in Colo’s absence.

This is what Siem has said today:

“I’m vice-captain together with Cheick Tiote, and also captain at Ajax for the last two years,” “For me that’s a nice step to come here and get these responsibilities from the start.¨

“Hopefully, I can pay it back.” “It feels good,” “I had a pretty good welcome.¨ “Of course I knew a couple of players – Vurnon Anita and Tim Krul – and my brother also played half a season here last year.¨

“I heard a lot about the club.¨ “I heard it was a really big club.¨ “I always wanted to play in the Premier League, so for me it was a great step.¨

“It’s a great challenge for me personally, but also for me and the team.”

Siem could turn out to be a terrific signing for us, and he can take over the mantle of becoming the withdrawn striker – the role Yohan Cabaye was so successful in, when he scored 5 goals in the last seven games he played for Newcastle, before leaving for PSG in January.

Below are our three social media sites:

• dufuss

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM

and when or if they fail in recruiting more talent will you be saying in five years time
    we wont get fooled again

• MadisonToon

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM

When Siem signed, I was worried that we may not end up bringing anyone else in this summer and that he would be the only significant summer signing. Were that to be the case, I would have felt pretty bad for him as he would have traded being Ajax captain and in Europe every season for a team with no squad depth and one injury away from a relegation battle.

However, the summer is turning out to be quite a productive one and I’m extremely pleased for SDJ and for how it will likely turn out for NUFC next season. I think with Janmaat’s signing we will be in good shape for maintaining a high desirability for players in the Dutch league (to go with our already high desirability for French league players) and that can only lead to good things – potentially easier high-profile transfers in the future. If these guys were to end up here and we would have a poor season, though, we may be closing the door on future Dutch signings – who would want to go to the club where two top-class Dutch players careers were ruined?

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, but I’m optimistic for them and for how their careers will impact our visibility in Holland.

• jazzyp

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Dufuss
    Again mate will judge once the transfer window slams shut !!

• croftus5678

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

@1 dufuss

you not happy with 6 1st team quality signings ?

even perez who was bought for dev team is proving far and beyond he’s better than shola in his first friendly match !

did anyone expect us to realisticly sign 6 players ? i myself was doubtfull we would sign 1.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM

‘And Luuk has already been given some responsibilities by manager Alan Pardew and he is now one of our two vice captains’ – I think you mean Siem there Ed 😉

Siem is a great player, not too quick but reads the game very well and has enough technique to pick out a key pass.

We need more like him, Grenier would be a great start.

But what should be our main priority is to get quality strikers in the books.

I hear Remy is off to Liverpool

• Macas

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Our Toon
    Not sure what you mean about HBA saying I want to keep going back to the issue.
    You mentioned him in your post and I made one response to your comments.
    All I said was that HBA seemed happy enough with the way he was being handled for a while, and he had proven to be a fairly difficult player to manage and keep happy before that in his career.
    Things might have turned sour between him and Pardew this season, but to suggest they have had problems from the start is wrong.
    And his injury issues weren’t what was being discussed so not sure why you brought that in.
    They probably did make mistakes regarding that, but I’m sure the medical team would have been involved in those decisions as well, not just Pardew.

• dufuss

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

croftus on the contrary im over the moon but let it be said they only get us closer to where we were
    in my eyes the are only slight upgrades to what we had,. he needs to spend some cash or never never money to make the statement of intent

• GeordieTwo

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Right then, I have now unpacked the Belgian midget strikers from their violin cases. Thanks to the Dutch mafia for shipping them in. They’re looking fit and feisty! Ready to bite some kneecaps! Now I just have to convince the club to take them on. 🙂

• Wandering Geordie

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

The Glazier should sit up and take note from Van Gaal when he said recently” For me, the challenge is always to come first, not fourth.” Raise the stakes Pardew

• GeordieTwo

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I have many novel ideas to help wor club promote itself. in New Zealand. Chest hair giveaways etc. etc.

• dufuss

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM

pardew dare not he would be sacked

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Macas
    HBA’s problems started when he got injured last season. He was given a fitness programme when he went home to France/Tunisia to get him back on track by the TOON. Problems was when he reported back he had put on weight and the staff tore a strip off him for not being professional.
    My own thoughts on HBA never been the same player after he had his leg broken – lost something ??

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM

We still need a Striker ! Siem will have to do a hell of a lot more to make me start being a fan of his !

An unbroken spell of not being injured will help, he may well win me over?
    What happened to our interest in Tom Ince?
    Thought we were going to go for some Brit Talent?

Feyenoord tried to sign Bas Dorst last week, but were turned down by the player, it seems Bas thinks going back to Holland would be a move backwards for his carreer ! VW Wolfsberg want rid apparantly !

Looks like Ron Vlaar is off to Manure ! While Remy is going to end up with Liverfool !

• ~A Riviere of Goals~

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Time and time again, seeing people refer to Siem as Luuk.

He isn’t Luuk De Jong, he is his brother Siem De Jong… A different person to who we had on loan.

• dufuss

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:12 PM

who gives a luuk
    lol

• kevymartins

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Up early for the match tomorrow lads what is it half 7 in the morning?

• Markaccus

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Its the siem old situation. His luuk has run out. Must have been de jong way to do it.

• toonicle

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I do wish everyone would stop going on about Grenier already. We don’t need him and I don’t see how he would fit into the already crowded midfield we have now, plus there are some other glaring gaps in the team that need to be filled before we shove another 6-8 Mil into our midfield.

• tweaked

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

see this lad as our dennis berkgamp 😀

• outsidethebox

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM

kevymarins 8-30 bt sport…
    toonicle agree 100%….centre back prioity …new jap stamm required plus goalscorer …hernandez would do

• Whumpie

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Toonicle – I agree. How are we going to bring through talent from within while they’ve got SDJ, Sissoko, Cabella, Grenier all in front of them? Resources are better spent elsewhere now.

• beermonkey

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

toonicle

of course we need grenier with bigi going out onloan I hope
    leaves colback tiote anita as the holding mids
    sissoko cabella dejong will play wide and centrally behind a striker
    so while he might not break the starting 11 straight away it would be nice to have a bit of quality coming of the bench and just to rotate the team
    we wont see benny near the first team

• Whumpie

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I am starting to get hopeful that Cisse and Riviere will do a job for us this season – although I’d rather we had a more nailed-on scorer.

It would be a senseless waste of brilliant transfer work if we didn’t cap it all off with sorting the last two weak positions.

C’mon boys – keep up the good work; finish the job!

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Macas

You said that pards had handled HBA well in his first couple of years, if you believe playing a key player (which he was at the time) against Maritimo in a meaningless game (injured) and then returning him to play in Russia on a plastic pitch is a good way of handling a player the we clearly have differing opinions on “managed well”

The decision lies with Percy for whether hba played in those 2 games….The guy is clueless as this season will once again prove!!

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM

What do we do with Abeid then if we sign Grenier?

• croftus5678

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM

well..there we be no pleasing everyone !

some want more signings aswell as seeing youngsters get a game and its just not going to happen if we have senior players backing up senior players.

e.g. strikers we have cisse,siem,river,perez,arma,campell,cabella,goofy and if you want another striker when would the youth get any game time ?

midfield we have siem,cabella,sissoko,anita,tiote,bigi,ober,marv,arfa,colback,abied,vukic,guti,goofy,rolando,sammi.

obv some players can play in other areas but the size of the squad is meaning no young lads will get tried out and the not great quality players we cant get rid of to trim the books.

• beermonkey

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM

whumpie

who have we got that can come of the bench and make an impact in a game??

and you cant say benny he wont be any where near the first team

goofy got 3 assists all season and Sammy got? I dunno

while we should get a striker, a top centre back maybe its time we bought good through to replace mbiwa if we are selling him

• jimiley

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM

15 million for a crock in every sense of the word seems a lot of money to me. Not a good buy. Thats why we will sign Carroll. Not good enuf for Liverpool or WHU but fits the bill for the mighty Mags.

• dufuss

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM

that is because parclot is inept at anything in relation to managing a “top premiership” side

• Sliema

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Sweet kid! http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/young-sunderland-supporter-pays-tribute-to-two-newcastle-supporters-killed-in-the-malaysia-airlines-disaster

I don’t think you’d catch me playing on Fifa as the mackems, mainly cause they’re sh!te like! 😀

• Whumpie

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Jimiley: I have a confession to make on the Carroll thing…

I’d love to see him back in Black and White. Just love it.

I know he’d cost too much and we’d get better value elsewhere. I know he’d probably break. I know he looks like My Little Pony after a major traffic accident. But I think Newcastle is the only team he’ll ever be able to play for at his best. I also think that with the other types of striker covered, a battering ram like him could be just what we need – imagine him beating up the defence and laying back to SDJ’s pile-driver of a shot?

I know it’s daft on paper, but I had to admit to myself this morning that I was scanning Newsnow because I wanted to see some truth in the AC rumours.

Dammit.

Anyone else want to join Andyholics Anonymous?

• Whumpie

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Beermonkey – I get your point, but croftus said it all at 26. If you can’t get a decent starting midfielld plus two good impact players out of that lot then you really do have problems.

• toonicle

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM

BeerMonkey- So you’d rather spend 6-8Mil on someone even you see as a bench warmer than spend it on a new striker or CB?

• Whumpie

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

The only impact HBA has made recently has been in the crust of a Mrs Miggins’s Giant Horse Willy Pie.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Pardew nutting a passenger

• toonicle

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Grenier has come out and said he wants European football, you’d think he’ll be happy taking a glorified bench position at a team who aren’t even in Europe? Sissoko, Tiote, Bigi, Colback, Anita can all play that position, would much rather spend 6Mil to bring Dier or Caulker in with the promise of some starts this year and a place nailed down next year when Williamson and Colo go.

• reeceo

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Krul
    Janmaat collo ?? Santon
    Tiote sissoko
    De jong grenier ? Cabella
    Benteke ?

• MadisonToon

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Whumpie –

I’d join your AA. With a good service and people providing outlets, I think Carroll could be a 10+ and probably a 15+ goal/season striker. Is that worth 15m? Doubtful. However, he is homegrown, which would allow us to let other players who are homegrown (and only on the books because of it) to leave. Further, the fact that he’s local would only be a benefit. Plus, we haven’t had a striker who was dangerous from set pieces in a long time and Carroll would make every corner and free kick exciting – if nothing else it makes the games more fun to watch!

• Macas

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Our Toon – I was referring to handling his character, not injuries or being selected for a particular game. The key issue with Ben Arfa has always been his temperament and keeping him happy, something Pardew did well to begin with.

• beermonkey

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM

whumpie

don’t disagree with croftus but if you take benny marv and obatan, guti, we know there not going to feature it looks a lot worse
    then we have the likes of vuckic abied Rolando Sammy
    vuckic injury prone struggle to get a game at Rotherham, out the door with the others

the other 3 would benefit them and the club in the long run with a seasons loan where they will get games

out of our youth strikers I would keep and play Armstrong as I think he could learn a lot from dejong
    the rest need to go out onloan,

yes spend on grenier all the players that need to go onloan can go and not sit on our bench doing nothing
    if we buy grenier and pards wants him he will play him as it stands pards wont play the youth he has no faith Sammy did well I thought last season but didn’t make an appearance till the new year the lad needs games not a cushion to pad his arse

as it is all the youth are worthless as least if they go out and prove themselves or not there value will go up

toonicle I want him as well as a new striker

1 2 3 6