This Lad Has Real Quality – He Scored A Fantastic Goal

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew seemed delighted by the overall Newcastle United display yesterday down under, and especially for the young players who got an outing against Sydney FC.

adam armstrong scores Sydney 82 mins

Adam Armstrong after scoring great goal against Sydney FC

They included 17 year-old Adam Armstrong – who looks one for the future – and he combined brilliantly with 19 year-old striker Adam Campbell, for Newcastle’s fourth goal after 82 minutes.

This is what Alan Pardew told the Shields Gazette today:

“In the last friendly at Oldham, they didn’t do so well,” “But they all showed up well. I was really pleased. Armstrong got a fantastic goal.”

“He won the European Championships with England’s U-17s, and you could see he’s got real quality.It was a good night and a great crowd.”

“We’ve really enjoyed it so far,” “We can only sum it up at the end.” “We’ve got five or six days left. We’re looking forward to going to Wellington now.”

“Dunedin have been fantastic hosts, and the stadium is terrific.” “The town can be really proud of the stadium.”The people have been so friendly.”

Armstrong has so far made 4 appearances for the first team at the end of last season,  and he starred in the England U17 European Championship triumph  in May of this year, along with our young goalkeeper Freddie Woodman.

We are hoping that Adam can make this breakthrough next season, maybe along with Adam Campbell too – and Newcastle desperately need to show that we can bring top youngsters through the ranks on Tyneside.

We haven’t been too successful in doing that over the last seven years.

Below are our three social media sites:

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I think rodolfo aarons is closer the starting 11 than Armstrong.

Boy he looks class. I’d take a punt at start him against city. Could have a potential 20m rated winger in our hands. He just needs to work hard.

• Spoof

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM

LR

read the link, thats all I ask, you will see how wrong you are.

• proud2bnufc

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Maybe not fantastic goal but he has some good quality and should play more and more. Campbell, Armstrong, Rivierre and one more to success.

• Edd Case

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Armstrong, Campbell, Aarons – those 3 in particular are very good prospects.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Spoof, I don’t care if Rotonda got a hammering. His views are pretty much the same as mine on things. That means others are against it. Maybe the ones who accept Pardew is here need a hammering, because he’s been allowed to be employed for far too long.

Yes, it may get a bit annoying listening to posters like me slating the conman. However, it is nowhere near the annoyance I have of seeing that prat take charge of my club. Listening him come out game after game with the same spin and same abysmal tactics.

So… Our comments are a reflection of that idiot in charge of us, who, let’s not forget gave us 14 losses in 20 games and equalled the worst EVER loss run in the club’s history. We only didn’t break it due to playing a relegated side in Cardiff.

Accept the conman’s position here if you want. I am certainly not. If you accept it, it’s like a weed in the garden growing more and more. He needs weeding out and binning.

• proud2bnufc

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM

We should play them often than last season and try to push some fresh and young power to the team spirit.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Ship out Obertan and Jonas either on loan or for a small fee, bring in Seydou Doumbia and give the young lads a chance to stake a claim on the wings.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Wrong about what though? That I can see Marveaux has a good through ball when played centrally? No, he does.

Wrong when Marveaux got the most assists when hardly playing and ultimately kept us in the division? They are all right.

Yes, he can disappear. Who doesn’t in games? Especially the flair players.

Robert Lee and Vieri both spoke about Ginola and Pires that they had to make up for their lack of work rate because they could do special things. No different to the special things Ben Arfa can do and has shown, and in a defensive team as well.

• Spoof

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

LR

I have no interest in what you have to say, if you are not man enough to read through them and see the reaction and views of most then I am not prepared to discuss it with you, what is the point of having a discussion with someone who is incapable of accepting that they could possibly have it wrong, so as far as I am concerned you may as well not bother responding as I will not listen too you, all I will do is treat you with the contempt that you deserve, you are very monotonous and you are boring me.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Spoof, LR32, Jesper, Pawl – in fact everyone, I’m gonna post a link for stats from last season, please compare players as you wish…I personally agree with LR32

• Rotonda heights

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Slow down Ed !!!

Spoof,

I see you’re giving LR a hard time just as you tried to do to me. It’s opinions pal. Who’s to say you’re right and the likes of LR, BPC, Graeme, Check Tiote, Our toon and me etc are all wrong and vice verca.

I realised from a personal perspective that it was unhealthy for me to fixate so much on my dislike of Pardew. However, the points these guys make are valid and just because you don’t necessarily agree, I refer you to my previous.

• Slank

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Ed, I disagree about ‘who looks one for the future ‘.

Armstrong is good enough to play now. He reminds me of a young Michael Owen. Armstrong is a natural goal scorer and has demonstrated this quite a few times for England.

His problem could be the formation we may play in the future if it is 4-5-1. He isn’t a lone centre forward. He is probably better behind the lone striker.

• pawl250

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM

ED MAN!! Stop posting new articles.

Jesper

Sissoko was had the highest assists in our team last season.

Marveaux is not even worth mentioning, him leaving would have no effect on our team, even last season it would have made no effect. It was like he was not even here, when he was.

Ben Arfa is different, in that he can contribute more at times. Most times though he will lose the ball. He will 1 out of 10-20 times do abit of magic.

You can tell his quality though when he does make a pass etc. but he just does not do it enough and his attitude stinks.

He has the quality, he limits himself with his attitude.

• pawl250

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

LRobert

Marveaux has been shocking most games he has played.

Now Pardew is limited as a manager but I do agree with him leaving that donkey out. I think I have seen him make 1 decent pass, he misplaces passes alot more than anything else. He is simply not good enough.

Ben Arfa is good enough. He just limits his ability with a shocking attitude. Same reason he is sitting in the reserves and not one club other than someone in Ukraine as asked about him.

Even Barton had interest, it speaks volumes about Ben Arfa when he is a much better technical player but no one wants the hassle.

• Slank

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Why are people going on about Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Jonas and Obertan ?

These players are from yesterday.

They have no future at the club. There is absolutely no point in discussing the pros and cons as it will make no difference to the team.

• Scottiedog

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

@ LR32

Times have moved on mate and we cannot afford to carry anyone who does pull there weight!! Marvaeux is a good played, but just maybe not Premier League quality though……

• pawl250

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

OurToon

Ben Arfa score 600
    Jonas score 612

LOL I stopped looking at that point.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

pawl…if anything the stats you showed me and the point you are making shows that Pardew made alot of bad decisions last season when it came to putting a team together.

…we were poor all over the field. Marv might not have changed much as you say, but look at the stats from the season before and look at the players had on paper.

Not only did we underperform massively, but we created absolutely nothing. The players you could count on adding to assists and goals did hardly play.

That is actually a fact.

• Spoof

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Our Toon

stats are meaningless, look at Tuedays game, Aarons put in a load of really good high quality crosses but they weren’t converted so statistically he got no goals and no assists, but that doesn’t mean he played badly, yet Campbell came on and only made 1 decent pass, which lead to a goal so he got an assist, now I am not having a go at Campbell here as he has done nothing wrong but based on what we saw on Tuesday who would you rather have in the side, the one with the better stats or the one with the less impressive stats, the chances are almost 95% would rather have Aarons but the stats say that Campbell had the bigger impact, as I say stats can lie and mislead, we can hardly blame Aarons for the strikers poor finishing, and is it fair to praise Campbell for Armstrongs good finishing.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I would just like to add something about the “majority” disposition on here which is so evident at times.

It might be a bit philosophical for some, but “The Tyranny of the Majority Disturbs Me”!

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Pawl

I’ve just posted a link which states that HBA created 55 chances last season and created 43, both players had the same passing average and both players made a total of 2 defensive errors, however Gouffran was better at shot accuracy, goals scored!! Let’s not potray this picture of HBA doesn’t pass!! 55 chances last season in a team that struggled as an attacking entity plus add to that games off the bench…does someone who doesn’t pass create 55 chances for others?

• T.T.V.V.T.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Sorry to steal Armstrong’s thunder on this thread…

Just something i was reading there…

This Isla we’ve been linked with. Last season at Juve he played the vast majority of his games as a defensive midfielder right sided.

I know a lot of us are rubbishing the link with him considering we’ve just signed the talented Daryl Janmaat but Isla is not necessarly a right back, although he was used there by Chile.

For me, he could be a Gutierez replacement. Granted he’s not left sided but hes a crazy, versatile South American haha.

It would also be of note to point out that Monaco are still heavily linked with Sissokko and Isla could be a player we bring in before letting one go, much as with the Debuchy scenario.

In not saying this is happening, im just chewing the fat here.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

T.T.V.V.T…if it’s not nativity as you say then to me it does sounds though you don’t understand the cause and effect?

…of course what we spend have an impact on us fans.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

…everything here is about cause and effect.

• pawl250

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

OurToon

Anita shows Benny up apart from goals. But being a DM may actually make a case for that!

You do not see Gerrard scoring as many goals as he did comapred to when was further up the pitch.

Why are people trying to defend Ben Arfa? He is a quality player that limits himself by his own attitude. He lacks any sort of determination to better himself as a player because he already thinks he is it.

He even compares himself to likes of Messi and Ronaldo. Hilarious.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Pawl

Click on Jonas, you’ll see he got 45 from a total of 4 appearances

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Spoof

I didn’t give you facts based on goals and assists but also facts on pass completion percentage and chances created (like Aarons yesterday)

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Spoof, I read all that thread as it was going on the other day and I’ve read it again now. Naturally, through the own player’s ability you will get some players who perform, regardless of manager’s input. But as it’s a team game, it’s how the manager can integrate those players to make the team perform well.

I thought Guthrie was pretty average. Sprays the ball out left and right when he has time. His movement wasn’t anything of note neither was his final pass. He was decent at best. Nothing out of the ordinary skill wise.

Reading from post 33 isn’t the answer to all things right. It is an opinion which I don’t share.

As I said, Marveaux is not a world beater, but I believe he has more to offer in a team which is based around passing and moving. A foreign concept to Pardull.

• Spoof

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

RH

in fairness m8 you hid and when you came back you came back with a different view, you know that.

What really annoys me though is that even when you or LR are totally wrong you will never accept it and admit to it, and that is why I am now as impatient as I am, I can’t see the point of debating with you’s, an example is Jonas, you claimed he has been Pardewed, yet I stipulated that due his game being about running up and down that flank supporting the fullback that he can no longer do it due his legs not allowing him to do so, now I find it incredible that you cannot admit to being wrong on this, yet you dig your heels in, like I say, what is the point.

I said a while ago that I do not expect SDJ to succeed, based on how he has slotted into the side so far, it now seems certain that I will be wrong, but heyho, no one is perfect we all get things wrong, sadly some cannot admit to that !

• Markaccus

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Ok. Before i say this, i will point out i am NOTtalking about skill levels….

Right. Fact alert. People on here are willing to let HBA off with the SAME things that Shola Ameobi has been slated for his whole career (laziness mainly). I would also go so far as to say that he actually tries harder than HBA. I am clearly not saying he is a better player, but i would say he was more reliable in doing the partucular job he was asked to do.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Pawl

You tried to base your case against a player from what you’ve heard from this regime or dare I say others or you try to distort facts by claiming he doesn’t pass the ball etc. Yet you think Gouffran like I’d say most of us would think had a quality season, for some reason Williamson was voted on this site as the best player in a defence that conceded almost 2 goals a game. Football is about opinions, you claim someone’s attitude isn’t right but I ask you how you can judge that?

• pawl250

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM

OurToon

So you are saying the source you provided is inaccurate now?

Sorry but I am using your source to compare your argument. I cannot be held accountable for errors on a site that you provided.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Mad Greengrocer from the Heed – you previously asked “who are the plebs”. Well to answer your question it is people like you -for pleb also we can also substitute it with -tosser/plonker/knobber/thicko/divvy/arse.
    What’s with your latest non footballing post about getting a fellow blogger to wash his mouth out with sulphuric acid?????
    Do you contribute anything at all to the debate on the blog?

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Pawl, a lot of those shocking games you speak of are part of his deterioration and forced to play a defensive containing game which he isn’t his strengths.

If I recall against Reading he was probably the best player on the pitch yet Pardew takes him off to a chorus of boos and derision. That was when he took Cabaye off as well when he possibly had a knock. Sure enough we lose the game. From that game on I’d had enough of him. Pardew out.

Confidence players need to be loved and shown extra attention to get the best out of them. Man-management skills which Pinocchio lacks.

Mascherano would still be benched and unused if they were both still at West ‘aaam.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Markaccus

I get what your saying mate but look at the end product of the majority of the squad compared to the “laziest one”….think I might keep referring to him as that!!

Was the friendly played against qos behind closed doors?

On topic I think Armstrong and some of the other younger lads need loan moves to progress

• martoon

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM

LR32 – If I can join the HBR debate without getting a hammering. There are not many on here who doubt his ability the problem is his attitude. It is very easy to blame Pardew but I suspect that something has happened behind the scenes. There are rumours HBA has lamped Pardew and you can also see that the rest of the team have no time for him either. In any job if you thump the boss and lose the respect of your colleagues then it is time to leave!

• Spoof

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM

LR

have you checked Marveaux’s record before he came here, he had one good season but generally he has flattered to deceive, the only reason you mention Marveaux is due to your hatred of Pardew, if you used Ben Arfa, Cisse or MYM as your examples then there would be a case to discuss, but what you constantly fail to do is accept that some of the players just aren’t good enough, and the only reason you do that is to convince yourself that its Pardews fault for every player who does not succeed, that is unhealthy and it is impossible to debate with a view like that, however I do apologise for being way too sharpe earlier on, that was wrong and out of order, but I still have the same view that debating with you is not really an option for the reasons which I have already given.

• Sliema

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Spoof

Jonas has been Pardewed. Yeh, that’s absolutely mental isn’t it? Nobody can truly believe that.

• Wandering Geordie

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

@Slank

I toatally agree about Armstrong.I mentioned the fact in yesterdays blog that he reminds me of a young Owen the way he took his goal.He has a low centre of gravity and very quick feet and brain.He also reminds me of a young Gert Muller……Armstrong’s gonna be a good un

1 2 3 6