The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Devastating Injury News For Andy Carroll

8:23 pm, Thursday, July 24th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

Really bad news for former Newcastle striker Andy Carroll today – that he could be out up to four months with torn ligaments in his ankle.

andy carroll - england navy blue

Andy Carroll – out four months with torn ankle ligaments

It’s yet another devastating injury blow for the Gateshead lad – and it’s sad to hear about this, after Andy had missed half of last season with injury.

It must be very difficult for the 25 year-old, who had said recently he was hoping to repay West Ham in the coming season,  after he had missed so much playing time last season.

We reported this morning that Andy would not participate in the New Zealand tour, and that he was off to America to see a top surgeon to maybe get an operation on the ankle – and now we know that operation will take place tomorrow after the surgeon had diagnosed the extent of the injury.

Owner David Sullivan’s son Jack tweeted the news on Andy today, and that Carroll would be out for four months:

¨VERY BAD NEW REGARDING AC, TORN LIGAMENTS IN ANKLE. OPERATION TOMORROW WITH TOP SURGEON IN USA. WILL BE PLAYING IN 4 MONTHS.¨

We had talked about Andy’s poor injury record this morning, but nobody would wish this on Andy – after all he’s been through as far as injuries are concerned over the last few seasons.

We can only hope the ankle gets fixed up, and that Andy is back playing (well) again before Christmas.

If Newcastle were interested in signing our former striker this summer – which we doubt – that move will obviously be off.

We wish Andy the very best with the operation tomorrow and his recovery.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Andy Carroll · Injuries · Newcastle News · Pre-Season

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I feel sorry for the lad hahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..No no that’s not fair hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha… Unlucky Mr Carroll

• 2 leeb1982 // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Idiot chairman plus more of an idiot manager = an Andy carroll transfer

• 3 croftus5678 // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

well…tbh it doesnt effect us and he should be used to being injured by now.

cant wait to watch the game on saturday anyone know what time here it starts ?

• 4 scout // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Is it on tv

• 5 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

jazzy

I don’t think anything will happen till players have been moved on and were back from down under

but it might happen still lots of time left in the window

has good gotten over his injury that kept him out the world cup and did he make the tour team for us

• 6 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Croftus
    4.30 am mate I think

• 7 Graeme // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I do, genuinely, feel sorry for the bloke, nobody deserves the injuries AC has suffered.

The only silver lining, if it can be termed as such – its not our problem and should put the rumours of him returning to SJP to bed, once and for all!!

• 8 croftus5678 // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

@4 scout

bt sports m8

• 9 croftus5678 // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM

@6 jazzy

cheers m8 early night for me tomoz then me thinks

• 10 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Graeme
    Agree mate. just because the player once played for us and is injured again, Feel sorry for the lad but it doesn’t effect Nufc so move on.
    Would we be bothered or interested if Nolan had an injury. Or Ba had a injury while playing for Besiktas……NO NO NO

• 11 kilcline // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM

We have form of signing players when injured….8-O

• 12 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Beermonkey

Probably mate but I would help Charnley and co are busy behind the scenes . Just because Nufc are on tour Shouldn’t really effect negotiations or potential deals that are hopefully being struck.
    think Grenier would finish our Midfield off nicely and would prove we are actively still busy in the transfer market

• 13 Toonfan8 // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I would be happy if we bring Joel Campbell, but with buy-out clause…I think he can become really good, has good left foot, is pacey and tricky…can be upgrade on Goofy…give us more options upfront…Dier should be another, we have to bring these players which can be for the future but also for this season…

• 14 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I remember the day we sold Carroll .

I was watching Sky Sports news praying the deal wouldn’t go through as I thought he was the next Alan Shearer and I was heartbroken when he left albeit at a good price .

However if someone told me that day he would go on to be injured for 80% of the next 3 years I would have drove him to Liverpool myself .

Not that I am wishing injuries on the guy, but unless he cuts out the injuries and then goes on to fill his potential it has to go down as one of the best transfers in history for the selling club IMO .

• 15 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM

jazzy

if we do want him I am sure we have made contact as you say nothing to do with the boys on tour

ENGLISH – Live Football Newcastle United v Wellington Phoenix 5:30am-7:30am (Stream 3)

and link that says 5.30 not 4.30 that ed has on the front page think he was an hour out with the first match

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

How is the humidity in the UK these days?

…it’s unbearable here in Denmark :(

• 17 ethiotoon // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Why did Newcastle cool their interest on Clement Grenier after Lyon put him for
    Sale? Strange coolness…

• 18 toonicle // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Am I the only one that still doesn’t want Grenier? Where would he possibly fit into our first 11 right now? And if he doesn’t do we really want to spend 6-7Mil for a sub or someone to fill out the midfield in our cup losses?

• 19 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Jesper

its been the best summer in a while here, but with that has come thundery weather and uncomfortable sticky heat. You know when the air refuses to move? Even if you open both doors and all the windows? Its been like that a lot.

• 20 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

jesper

I have nice breeze my lounge over looks a tidal river and 800yds from the sea

I would like to blame the heat for the grumpiness of my misses but alas its just her being a women

• 21 firebug666 // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Markaccus

I live right on the North East coast, and it has been beautiful here, just enough of a breeze to keep it pleasant.

• 22 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM

A few rumours on twitter saying we have mad a £7 million bid for Grenier .

If we got him as well as another striker I would cry 😉 .

—————————Krul——————————–

–Janmaat——–Collo———M’biwa——–Haidara–

—————————-Tiote——————————

——-Sissoko——————————–Grenier——-

—————————De Jong—————————-

———Aubameyang——————–Cabella———-

Bench: Elliot, Willo, Colback, Anita, HBA, Rivierre, Gouff

Amazing to think we could have that team and a really strong bench for another £20 million .

• 23 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Went to denmark once as a kid. Legoland. Esbjerg ???

Anyway i think it was in March. Surprisingly warm. We had to buy some shorts. I remember my dad going into a clothes shop and slowley saying to the guy “mmmeennnnss shhoorrttss” while signalling with his hands half way down the legs. The man replied, in almost perfect english ” Certainly, sir, come this way” my mother keeled over laughing.

• 24 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Fire bug. I am slightly in-land. Westmoor. Its nice, but gets uncomfortable as soon as the clouds come.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Mark…that’s how it is here,just without the thunder.

…I swear the humidity here is close to 100.

Beer…I would love to be close to the sea or any water right now. To feel that cool windy breeze :)

• 26 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM

toonicle

we only have to lose ldj or cabella for a couple of month and were back to where we were last year struggling who else have we that can come off bench and influence a game??
    he wouldn’t be a total bench warmer we don’t have to play with the same 11 each week

• 27 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM

BPC

cabella as a strike partner with PEA? Can he play there?

• 28 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Jesper

i prefer it to turn into a full on fire and brimstone thunderstorm. It clears the air. The high pressure gives me headaches.

• 29 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Getting Grenier for anything under £10 million would be a steal IMO, £7 million would be an absolute bargain .

Get him on one of Mike’s 6 year contracts and we have basically bought a goose with the potential to lay the golden egg IMO . Grenier has the ability to be one of the worlds best in a few years .

• 30 croftus5678 // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM

@18 toon

i personally dont want any more midfielders or strikers for that matter as if we did it wouldnt give cisse/perez/arma/campbell a chance that they do deserve and cisse needs to get in some sort of form in order for us to sell him and if he cant score in a team with this much creation then he will never score.

if anything i want to see a young england hopefull come in so i can look forward to watching england play again ! micah as a cb or dier would fit this perfectly for me.

• 31 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

jesper

heats ok but humidity is a bitch I have always lived on the coast
    but I had to goto Taiwan once my god the humidity there was unreal I got out the shower and stood on my balcony in just towl after a few mins I had go and have another shower, god bless the man that invented air conditioning

• 32 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

The Belgian midget strikers are really getting into their tiny strides now. Training ground is a tiny football pitch near St. James Park. They already have their own Geordie groupies watching them. Beautiful.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Mark…haha :)

…would have liked to see the look on your dad’s face.

Legoland is close to Esbjerg in a small town called Billund. It’s where the Airport is as well. If you sailed to Denmark you probably sailed to Esbjerg?

Did you know the name “LEGO” is a contraction of “Play well” meaning “Leg Godt” (Lego)?

• 34 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM

———————-Krul
    Janmaat—colo–dier–hairdryer
    —————tiote—socks
    –caba———-SDJ———–greni
    —————–SHOLA ( 😉 )

• 35 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Best look at our new home strip yet:

Still not perfect as I don’t think Puma are that great at designing kits, but I like the thinner stripes . Why can’t we just have Nike make the strips and make them switch Juve’s badge with ours .

• 36 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Beermonkey

Cheers for the link mate

Toonicle
    Do you think it would nice to have that option and be spoilt with quality on the park rather than having just a nucleus of a good team and the rest fringe players.
    If Mapou is indeed on his way out then im sure a suitable replacement will be brought in.
    Personally mate I would love to be spoilt for choice which have long been after rather than having a bench full of ragamuffins

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Beermonkey has been invited to become an honorary Maori. They seem to like his style. The Governor General’s wife certainly did. Harrumph!

• 38 ethiotoon // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Big Pappa Cissé
    Exactly with no doubt…

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Who will be our flair player this season? Benny is far too powerful and muscular now. Obertan has the heed for it but nowt else. Cabella? Let’s see him up against some decent competition. That should come in Germany if he’s with the team by then.

• 40 Bambams // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

From what I can see the Grenier tweets originated from 888sport which it is reported are not reliable. Suggested bid of £7 million

• 41 Markaccus // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Jesper

Yeah we did sail to Esbjerg. It was just a short bus ride to the hotel

I was Lego mad when i was a kid (still love it now if i am honest 😀 ) so i did actually know what the name meant. I saw all the original wooden toys that the inventor made, too. All original lego brand. I wonder what he would think of what it has become. Its even a movie now!!

• 42 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Should we be shopping aboot for more players with giant heeds?

• 43 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

@ Mark

That formation is similar to what Liverpool played a lot of last season (4-4-2 diamond wide) with the front three for them being Sturridge, Suarez & Sterling as a front three with Gerrard holding & Coutinho as a playmaker .

Our front three in that lineup would be De Jong, Aubameyang & Cabella, with Tiote holding & Grenier the creative midfielder .

Could work .

• 44 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I hear we are scouting a young lad named Wee Jock McPrang now. Brilliant young player with blinding speed. Will give the Belgians a run for their money. 😯

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM

We are also buying footstools to put in the bog at the ground for the Belgian midget strikers. Mike is so thoughtful. :)

• 46 Sliema // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Jesper

Hej mate, where do you live in Denmark? Just that my missus is Danish and it always makes me curious.

She’s banging on about the heat at the moment too. Forgive me but I’m from Shields (freezing) spent large chunks of time in Denmark (Esbjerg, Aarhus, Kobenhavn… all pretty cold!) moved to London 4 years ago (much hotter) and now I live in Malta (as the name suggests) and now I really understand heat and humidity. It’s been 28-32C degrees minimum every single day for about 12 weeks in a row now. And very humid. I’m adjusting though! 😉

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I preferred large Tonka toys Markaccus. I would crush your best Lego castle with my brutes.

• 48 Graeme // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Jesper, I have been to Esbjerg, on a 36 hour cruising party out of the Tyne – was a cracking 2+ days – wall to wall totty. Well worth the money lol

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Mark…I think Lego has gotten a life of it’s own now. It has touch so many generations.

…I just hate those Kre-O rip-off. It look so cheap – but the fact that Lego don’t care probably shows they think Lego is bigger than the name itself. At least I would like to think so :) It’s everyone’s toy.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Graeme…and well plastered right? lol

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

A lot of you have been asking about Manly Men Inc. I have taken a leave of absence as CEO to raise funds for Mentally Handicapped Billionaires. The company is being run by Ibiza right now which explains why he is not on here much. I’m having Miss Nubbins keep an eye on him and report directly to me. No sense taking any unnecessary chances.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I certainly hope Wee Jock McPrang makes the club.

• 53 toonicle // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Beer- Grenier I believe has stated that he wants Euro football, do we really think he’ll come here to be an impact sub instead?

• 54 Sazzer // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

toonicle
    Am I the only one that still doesn’t want Grenier (Cabaye)?

Where would he possibly fit into our first 11 right now?

• 55 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Well there is certainly a lot of wonderful bloggery on here today mates. This reminds me of the old days when jesper and I were gauchos on the pampas. We had a small herd of wooly opossums. We would sit around the campfire at night making toupees out of the fur. Those were the days jesper mate.

• 56 NZGeordieviaAfrica // Jul 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Maybe NOW we can go out and buy a decent striker to partner Riviere and forget about bringing the prodigal son back home!

I agree too much emphasis seems to be being put on midfielders??? maybe its the departure of HBA, Jonas and Obertan? Why spend 7 or 8 million on Grenier when we could have bought Remy? Buy Joel Campbell but DO NOT take him on loan.

Hope Andy does finally fulfil his potential someday (just hope he never scores against us).

• 57 musomag // Jul 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM

@ 7

Totally agree Graeme

• 58 WestOzMag // Jul 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Blessing in disguise this injury. Hoof ball would be back and having the midfield that has been built now would be pointless. 1 more pacey 6ft tall ST who is a confident finisher on the books and ill be even more happier.

previous post: Newcastle Set Sights On These Two Attacking Players