The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Siem Is The Type Of Player I Love

11:31 am, Saturday, July 26th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Siem de Jong was taken off after 33 minutes in the game against Wellington Phoenix today, but Newcastle still went on to win be a single goal scored by Yoan Gouffran after 41 minutes, and it was a looping header.

siem de jong in gray

Siem de Jong – training down under

Before the game today Alan Pardew had this to say in the Shields Gazette:

“Siem is a player that I love, I love that type of player.” “I have had two players of that type at West Ham; Teddy Sheringham and Yossi Benayoun.¨

“They can make the game stand still and create time for the team.” “He is an important player for us and we hope he stays fit.”

It’s interesting that Alan talks about being able to keep Siem fit because he came off carrying some kind of injury , after he had been nursing a foot injury after the 4-0 win against Sydney FC on Tuesday night.

We still have to hear the state of the injuries – and it looks like Colo, Mehdi Abeid and young Ronaldo Aarons picked up some kind of injury ion the game today.

It was another good performance form the Newcastle side today, and the lads will be joined late next week by our other two signings – Remy Cabella and Daryl Janmaat.

Our four other signings Siem, Emmanuel Riviera, Jack Colback and Ayoze Perez all played in the game today in Wellington.

Here is the complete pre-season schedule for Newcastle, with the next game being at Sheffield Wednesday next Wednesday night.

DateOppositionLocationKO time
Tues Aug 5HuddersfieldJohn Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield
Drew 2-2
7:45 pm
Sun Aug 10Real SociedadSt. James' Park, Newcastle
Won 1-0
1:30 pm

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Coaching · Injuries · Newcastle News · Siem de Jong

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lost Plot // Jul 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Talk of this new fitness coach “Dave Billows”

If he was best in game, how come Moyes never took him to the other side?

Anyway .. Here’s a piece of him .. Good read .. But we need to see results to believe:

• 2 jazzyp // Jul 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Sdj could become a world class player for us that everything links around. He looks so composed and relaxed in possession, And an obvious threat on goal.
    Something we missed from midfield last term

• 3 Ethiotoon // Jul 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Colback is unsunged hero, our best signing.didn’t watch the game but I watched several of Sunderland game last sseason.industrious athlete, he should get the chance in place of Anita.looks lmminent that mbiwa will depart for one of french clubs if we get
    Richards or some other new CDF in place of him,our back will be okay.
    Considering the current situation, it might
    Be difficult to get top striker.I won’t be surprised if we ended up getting Joel cam.
    On loan at the end.
    So get Isla or Grenier or some other MF player if we don’t land the demanded skr
    and we will be ready for top 7..

• 4 expatmag // Jul 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

PEA wont be leaving Dortmund for 17 million never mind 7 million

Lukaku is on his way to Everton next week.

We will be lucky to re-sign Shola

• 5 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Agreed. Colback impressed me. All the more being he’s left footed which shocked me. Always thought he was right. He brings something different to the team. Impressive set piece too.

One of the first names on our team sheet at the moment.

• 6 niafron // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

How is the mood on the shores of the Tyne river?

• 7 expatmag // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Not bad. A decent couple of results in NZ and some of the kids really impressed.

Heard any news at your end?

• 8 Belfast // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Colback has been very impressive so far.
    That should shut up a few of the doubters. (jesper)

• 9 niafron // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Well, no.

I’m curious to see how these new players could be fielded by Pard.

Cause, their profile suggest a kind of play he never tasted.

• 10 niafron // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Any hypthesis about our line up for the first league game?

• 11 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM

We should be at least trying to get another striker in, whether on loan or not. Any of Campbell, Lacazette, Bacca, Doumbia and Ayew are realistic targets.
    Want to avoid ACON players though as Cisse & Tiote will already be missing.

• 12 beermonkey // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM

are any of our other preseason games on tv

• 13 JamesToon // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Colback was excellent today, he was everywhere. Fantastic work rate, good passing, great technique and likes to get stuck in.

• 14 Belfast // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yes beermonkey, both of our games are on quest tv next weekend. Strange channel to be on I know.

You get it free on virgin/sky

• 15 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Colback or JC has certainly advanced his claim. With so many more offensive types we will need balance in the side and he impressed by his ability to do a bit of everything, recirculating the ball, linking the play and also having the energy bursts to get forward. He was the star of the tour for me as I had previously seen him as fulfilling a limited role in the squad. To be fair to Anita, with his pass and move style he will look better when there is more movement around him as new signings and players returning from WC duty are integrated into the side.
    It’s hard to select a side at present because hopefully there will be a number of contenders both existing and new.

• 16 beermonkey // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

that is a bizarre channel but I don’t mind if I can watch it on tv

• 17 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Belfast – I am questioning my judgement now that I learn were in agreement -LOL.
    You know the score if we get someone on a free some fans will rubbish the signing before they have even seen him play.
    I recall the doubters on here when we signed Cabaye. The main issue was not whether he was any good but the fact that we were only spending around £4 million therefore he mustn’t be.

• 18 cestriasteve // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM

How do you think he is going to play? where is Cabella going to slot in.

Whats your thoughts on what I believe is the best transfer this summer Aymen Abdennour to Monaco, immense centre half.

• 19 Belfast // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I’m always right Ian, so your judgement is spot on if you’re agreeing with me. :)

I like him, and was happy when we signed him. I would expect him to be a starter most games, if he’s fit.

• 20 Slank // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I agree with everyone that Colback was excellent. I really can’t see Pardew leaving him out of the starting eleven.

Therefore, are we now looking at a pairing of Tiote and Colback with De Jong as our midfield trio with Sissoko and Cabella on the flanks ?

At the moment I don’t see any other combination.

• 21 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Belfast- I knew I shouldn’t have listened to Tsunki and Ibiza.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Now now Belfast…maybe you should read my piece on the “tyranny of the masses” 😉

…you know if Colback turns out this season to be a great buy I promise to come and tell you…and if not you’ll shut up right?

• 23 niafron // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM

On the wing i guess. He’s not a DM and Pard do not enjoy to play with a CAM.

And if he do so, we also have Dejong.

Honnestly, i wonder, cause i don’t see any logic in that recruitment considering Pard’s tactical views.

• 24 Slank // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM

There is a misguided perception by many that all high value acquisitions must be great because they cost a lot to buy. Not necessarily so.

As you say Cabaye but also Andy Carroll prove the point.

The commentator in today’s match described Newcastle’s buying philosophy perfectly along the lines of that we cannot compete with CL teams in who we can attract and afford and so we suss out the very best below that CL benchmark and nurture them to a higher standard and sell them for a profit. This benefits the club and the player.

• 25 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM

My thoughts of Colback from the Derby games was that he was a tough busy type but he’s a lot more than that. He has a good range of passing as well. Not quite in the Cabaye mould but I agree with others that he’s an almost certain starter. Possibly in a 4-3-3 though he does provide flexibility to accommodate the so called flair types.

• 26 niafron // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Abdennour indeed look a good player, but i will tell you the same thing i always say in such case: let’s see him at higher level.

Nowaday, football fans lack of patience.

• 27 Ethiotoon // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM

If we don’t get Grenier or other playmaker,
    Siem is here to take that roll-playmaking,
    surprised pards took big risk to play him knowing he had problem,…
    It’s friendly game ED/Pards..
    Bad judgment..

• 28 scitoon // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Every post by Ed and it is the same people with the same comments. We need a striker? Do we really?

I am hoping we go back to a 4-3-3 type formation that worked well in our ‘5th’ season. Look at the WC and how many team played 2 up front or indeed who were the top goal scorers? They were all mainly number 10’s – the classic number 9 centre forward has changed from a goalscorer to a provider and someone to keep the defence busy.

We have Cisse, Riviere, Arma and Goofy. I personally think we have signed well and if we don’t make anymore then i won’t be upset. I don’t need to see the TV money being spent etc. Who cares if it is lining MA’s pockets. We sold one first team player this Summer and brought in a quality replacement for half the price…..unlike 27M for Shaw / 16M Chambers. Just ridiculous prices.

• 29 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Slank. – As far as talent spotting of players I would also say I fancy the look of Perez- he’s got pace good close control and he looks like someone extremely composed on the ball. I wouldn’t put him out on loan as I can see him featuring with the toon. Not that I would question Pardew’s judgment.
    It does help if a manager has a picture in his head as to how he wants to play and hopefully Pardew will be allowed to bring in a ST and dominant CB. To complete the jigsaw. Are we being linked with Celtic’s Virgil Van Dyke?
    Dalglish was so old school he thought that high balls into the box would land on AC’s head. Rodgers saw AC nullifying all other options of formation and play.

• 30 Mattroge // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM

@expatmag 4, Lukaku is going to Everton? If Everton can afford him I’d be amazed.

• 31 Sazzer // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Turns out Colback will be a better signing than I thought he would be. I never thought it was bad signing on free though.

• 32 expatmag // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM

They havent bought anyone yet and they desperately need a striker. They are covered in most other areas of the park and have even more money than us from sky.

• 33 bobby mango // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Scitoon – I think we definitely need a striker. You say 4-3-3 but where you does SDJ fit into that? By all accounts it sounds like he’ll be our linchpin and I don’t see him working in a fluid 433.

Even if we could I still think we’re missing a dominant striker at the head of the front 3,to play the Drogba role.
    None of the players you mentioned can do that.
    I like the idea of Riviere, Gouf, Cabella even, playing wide off a strong forward. Cisse shouldn’t be anywhere near our first team plans.

• 34 Mattroge // Jul 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Fair enough, I’d still be surprised though. Lukaku is really top drawer & if Everton can stump up the cash & Chelsea are prepared to sell him to another English team I feel we’d be missing a trick by not going all out to sign him. I think (hardly a revelation by the way) he’d be ideal.

• 35 Jeff from Benwell // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Rumours all over the shop that Bony has been spotted in the Toon

• 36 Toonfan8 // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

i think it is clear how Pardew want to play 4-2-3-1 formation or 4-4-1-1 when playing more defensive…as much as I like Tiote, he cant play if he will be like last two seasons…better then play Sissoko with Colback in the centre…I think now this is our best line up
    and it is clear to see where we are very very bad…of course new CB is a must…we need there beast,tall,quick,strong…Van Dijk would be ideal there…
    we have options like Santon,Anita,Abeid,Tiote,Pérez,Cissé,Williamson,MYM,Ameobi,Aarons…so Pardew can choose the best suited line up for every opponents

• 37 USAGEORDIE // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Though I believe the signing of a top tier goal scorer will be the difference in the fight for European football, Ashley won’t spit up the cash. I can see another young striker like Campbell coming in and maybe a young CB. Both less than £5m.

• 38 Sazzer // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM

NUFC Stats ?@NUFC_Stats

NUFC are looking into making a move for wantaway Shakhtar Donetsk striker Facundo Ferreyra, according to Italian outlet Tutto Mercato #nufc

• 39 expatmag // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Bony story is bollox

• 40 expatmag // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Probably Bony M in concert mate

• 41 Ancientcoptic // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I would have no qualms with Tiote AND Anita both being dropped from the starting 11.

I would rather the team was set up to press, instead of chase the ball.

Play Tiote in games tougher games where we expect to see less of the ball, rotating him for games we should be winning.

Anita may still come good, now that the dynamics of the team are different; yet to be seen.

• 42 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM

If you don’t buy a prolific forward – which we probably are not going to – I would like to see us use de Jong as a false #9 and we Gouf or Rivere slotting in from wide. A classic #8 and #6 in the middle (Sissoko and Tiote) and att. fullbacks (one at the time of course)

• 43 toon kk // Jul 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Don’t get too excited about any more signings, Mashley only does enough to keep us in the premier league. He’s spent enough to get fans rushing to renew their season tickets.

Our squads still wafer thin when the injuries set in.

previous post: Some Sobering News For Newcastle