Some Sobering News For Newcastle

Yoan Gouffran’s goal after 41 minutes gave the Magpies their second clean sheet and a win in Wellington today, as they beat the Phoenix by the only goal of the game.

Newcastle United Training Session

Fab Coloccini – replaced after 78 minutes with suspected injury

Alan Pardew will have a lot of positive things to take out of this game, not least of which was the form of Yoan Gouffran, who was voted Man of the Match after the game, and looked sharp for Newcastle.

But the Magpies suffered a number of  (potential) injuries during the game, and the first one being to star man Siem de Jong, who was replaced after 33 minutes by Ayoze Perez, another new signing for Newcastle.

It’s not clear what Siem’s injury is,  but he was nursing a foot injury this week, after the game on Tuesday night against Sydney FC.

Mehdi Abeid received treatment in the first half after a hard challenge, and he didn’t come out for the second half, and again we don’t know how bad that injury may be.

Fabricio Coloccini was replaced after 78 minutes and he looked a mite uncomfortable walking off, and then after 85 minutes 18 year-old Rolando Aarons came off injured.

Newcastle were forced to play out the remainder of the game with 10 men, with only goalkeepers Jak Alnwick and Freddie Woodman remaining on the bench.

We should hear from Alan Pardew soon what the injury situation is – and let’s hope they were just slight knocks our players took during the match tonight.

Below are our three social media sites:

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I read this; it doesn’t look too good. I know Ed is covering it, but will just re-post it anyway:

Is it true De Jong didn’t train up to the games because he was questionable? if so no a good call on Pards part seeing as he has enough players at his disposal and even need to see them in action.

• jimmysmith

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Johnny Carver looks like he’s doing it a bit tough on that gentle run along the beach, n’all.

• JDdubai

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

SDJ would be surprised if it is anything serious, just looked like a pre-season strain but lets see.
    Colo will be fine, walked off and limped a bit.
    Aarons hamstring so who knows
    Abeid lets see but after the initial hit he took he carried on for the rest of the half before coming off at H/T so if it was that bad he would have come off straight away surely..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Repost

Novo,
    Sounds like last season continued then! The players picking up injuries, whether they are minor or otherwise is a worry. Unless some moron puts in a bone crucnching tackle we shouldn’t be picking up muscle injuries or strains at this stage of pre season.

Ian,
    I think if we got a Lukaku type striker and a big centre half then we realistically have a first 11 capable of pushing the top 6. If we could stay injury free that would be where I expect us to be. At the minute, I think the side as is will be mid table 10-12 as we are leaky at the back and won’t score lots.

I didn’t see the match, but it seems to be getting a mixed review from most. Don’t really care about score, we are still at the fitness and team building stage so as long as they get a good run out it is fine. As I said though, picking up injuries is worrying.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM

JD…I hope it is not too bad. Hamstrings can be a tricky one especially if they are not managed correctly. We haven’t been all that great at that here and we don’t have that wonder fitness woman here anymore 🙁

• Mr Magpie

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Injuries could be a nightmare problem with a small squad. Lukaku for £18 million, a lot for Ashley to spend on just one player but resale value after a couple of good seasons could tempt him in! Richards on loan with option to buy for £5 million. Then once that’s done start to replace what we have been able to sell, after including youngsters that look good enough like Arrons, Armstrong, Satka, Perez in the squad.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Jesper,
    I do remember seeing something saying that SDJ missed a couple of sessions, but it was just precautionary. If he had been struggling even just with a minor niggle, surely he should have been rested from playing? Seems madness.

I know people will pick up on this and bash Pardew with this issue, but Pardew will have worked with the new fitness coach and the medical staff to decide he was fit – and Siem himself. The question is, why they all thought it was a good idea to play him? Surely it is basics to not risk a player with a niggle in a meaningless pre season friendly!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I see Arsenal are set to spend £16million on Southampton full back Callum Chambers!! £6mill more than Debuchy! Wenger isn’t half splashing the cash this summer!

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Lilongwe…I only know what I read and of course can comment on what goes on in the head of both Pardew and our fitness coaches…

…but I have always been taught to question what I don’t understand and that is all I am doing. Plus I have played football myself professionally.

I never seen anyone play a player who missed training sessions in pre-season – it is just silly really.

• martoon

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM

The first 3 just looked like knocks but Arrons looked a lot more serious like a hamstring. Also what has happened to Willo I’m sure he is out there?

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I thought we hired a new fitness coach from Everton who was receiving rave reviews of his set up at Everton?

Look like he’s pants as well.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM

martoon…it’s like Willo disapear on the face of the earth just like Jones!

…if he is not injured, then surely Colo, Saylor and Mbiwa are to regarded as first choice this season?

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

*Willo has disappeared

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ilovetoon8788…maybe that is why Everton didn’t retain him 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Jesper,
    I agree. I could understand if it was an important match during the season, you would weigh up the pro’s and con’s of him playing and then possibly missing future games. But not pre season. I don’t get how as a collective they can come to the conclusion of playing him.

Hopefully it hasn’t made the problem any worse.

• jimmysmith

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Newcastle have Curtis Good, who I’m sure they will want to blood at some stage and similarly, but to a lesser degree, Armstrong, who, when added to our by now well known stinginess, makes you think our chances of adding real strength in those two areas a genuinely diminishing prospect with each passing day. Of course neither player, at present, will improve the side if picked.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Lilongwe…I really hope SDJ is alright, cause we really need him.

*I have questioned before the decisions made by Pardew or sanctioned by Pardew when it comes to knocks or injuries.

• martoon

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Jesper fair enough for the starting line up but I would have expected him to come on as a substitute.

• jimmysmith

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Willo travelled but is nursing a slight injury.

• Mr Magpie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

If the likes of Cabella & De Jong have come after being sold on our champions league ambitions then they will need to improve the first team in both cb & striker. Otherwise as shown with Cabaye, Debuchy & Remy they will become disillusioned with our lack of ambition & move to a new club.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

@jesper

I really hope that’s not the case.

We hired Downey or some female physio last season and we all including Ed was delighted and was earning rave reviews as well.

We all know how that turned out last season.

Now we have this bellows or billows from Everton and 4 injuries in one game.

Lol. Back to square one again.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

jimmysmith,
    Pardew had talked about wanting to get Arma out on loan. Hopefully that is still the case. If we are to rely on one of the kids as back up I’d prefer Campbell or Perez at the minute. Not necessarily because I think they are better, but because I think Arma will progress better with more/regular games.

Boro have lost Luke Jutweiczs (no idea on spelling) and Emnes. If they were willing to give Arma game time that would be an ideal situation for us. They have bought Tomlin, but he can play as a wide man as well.

• WWSBRD

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Players injured for our season defining pre season tournament well time to panic

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

martoon…beats me where he is or if he is injured. Anyone knows anything?

• martoon

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM

To be fair to Pardew he has to go from medical advice from his staff who may have said he was fine also it could be a different problem.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Lilongwe…I agree, but I still think Campbell need to go to a Champ side that fits him. He need to show he can cut it. He is 21 now and next year he is either go be get a number or pink slip.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Jesper,
    I know you have. But it won’t just be him, he will take on advice from the medical staff, fitness staff and the player himself. If they all said no, I’m sure he would listen.

• jazzyp

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Personally lads I thought we played ok today. We have to remember judging by some of the excitable comments today that this is a pre season friendly. To build up to match fitness and strengthening of the players. Gelling of the new lads and experience for the youngster’s.
    Lets remember we have at least 6 first team players to come back and will most likely figure in the starting 11 come the opening of the PL.Half that squad that played today will go back to the development team or be just bench warmers next season.

• beermonkey

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM

didn’t watch the match drunk far to much to get up

injuries aside anything or any1 stand out did we line up 3 5 2

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM

martoon…I would never agree a man in his position can hide behind that excuses.

…if his staf are making poor decisions then Pardew takes the blame (that is his job) and then he deals with his staff.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Beer..yeah GT has let us know you are a hand full 😉 lol

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Lilongwe…see my post @ #30

• beermonkey

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM

jesper

I am proper hanging

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Jesper,
    Campbell is still just 19 mate. He is 20 next Jan. I would prefer him to go on loan again, I’d like Perez to as well if I’m honest, but that would require signing a striker, and there is no point signing a striker who isn’t better than what we have. We are talking a £15-£20million expense so it is debatable as to whether we will get one in. If we did then get all three on loan, if not we probably need to keep 1 with us.

• jazzyp

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Beermonkey

Heavy night pal ??

if we were to try and dissect the friendly I guess Arma is looking like a good future prospect as is Rolo.
    My concern again is the decision making and positional sense of Mapou. I know its not his natural position but he always looks so slow to react and heavily relies on his speed to get him out of trouble.
    Hopefully buddy injuries are not to serious and we move on to our next friendly in high spirit after a successful tour

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Jesper,
    I agree, the final decision is his. I am not saying it is something that he should be hiding behind, but there is obviously enough people saying it is fine to play him.

I’m not defending Pardew when I say that, I am more querying the competence of the medical and fitness staff!

• Mr Funk

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM

As someone who treats musculoskeletal injuries – they are not so easy to prevent and risks cannot be eliminated completely.

Saying that if De Jong was suffering from a foot injury, it would have been sensible to precautious. However, the player should take some responsibility because no-one can feel what they feel.

The injury to Abeid came from an akward fall. Aarons due to hamstring strain (possibly) – difficult to prevent

Fitness and good training can reduce risk of injury. It will not eliminate it. Also sometimes sh*t happens in games.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Lilongwe…nice to know that we will only be turning 20 🙂

…I agree on the ladder – sign a prolific goalscorer and send those three out on loan (to the right club at the right level)

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

*he (Campbell)

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Mr Funk,
    How long does it take for your foot to be back to normal from a medial cuneiform fracture??