The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Australia’s Manager Apologizes To Newcastle United

1:56 pm, Sunday, July 27th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 128 Comments

When Australian manager Ange Postecoglou announced his squad for the World Cup, it did not include Newcastle’s 21 year-old  center-back Curtis Good, who had not recovered from a hip injury he had picked up on March 4th, when he made his debut for Australia against Ecuador, and had a really good game according to the manager.

Curtis Good Ecuador+22got4we3XVl

Curtis Good – in action against Ecuador in early March

At the end of May this is what Postecoglou had said about Curtis:

“With Curtis we wanted to give him every chance,.” “To his credit he worked really hard and did everything the medical people wanted him to.” “But we sort of had a time line in our heads and we tested him out a few days ago and he just couldn’t get back up to where he wanted to.”

“So the wise decision for him was to send him back home and get him to sort out his injury once and for all.” “That’s just how highly I rate him.”

“The next World Cup’s four years away. I think Curtis as he showed against Ecuador, if fit, he could have played a significant role in this World Cup so I wanted to give him every chance.”

“One thing we do know is that is probably still hasn’t been correctly treated,” “Even when he was back in the UK his build-up in training was good, but it was only when he tried to get really top speed at the highest intensity that his body broke down.”

“So he had three or four failed attempts which suggests to me it’s probably something he needs to deal with, and his club needs to deal with, a little more urgently now to really find out what the problem is.”

It’s those last two paragraphs that suggest it was Newcastle’s fault that Curtis was not fit enough for the World Cup in Brazil.

Ange Postecoglou

Australian football manager Ange Postecoglou

Now Ange Postecoglou has made the following statement regarding Newcastle United and our promising young defender Curtis Good:

“On 27 May, 2014, at the press conference announcing the selection of the National Squad for the 2014 World Cup, I made some statements concerning the decision not to select Curtis Good because of injury.¨

“I have been told by Newcastle United Football Club that my statements might have been understood to suggest that the Club had not provided proper care and treatment to Curtis,  who as a result suffered the injury and prevented him from being selected.¨

“If so, I confirm that I did not intend to suggest that that was the case and wish to correct the public record now.”

It seems to us there has been contact between Newcastle United and Postecoglou and that the subsequent treatment of Curtis – he had an operation on his hip which he is now recovering from – clears Newcastle of any blame in the initial treatment they gave the youngster.

And it seems that Newcastle may have asked the Australian manager to issue the above statement for clarification purposes.

It did definitely seem  – as we reported at the time – that he was putting the responsibility for Curtis missing the World Cup  on the treatment of the center-back by Newcastle’s medical team – and that seems not to have been the case.

Well at least that’s now been cleared up.

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Curtis Good · Injuries · Medical · Newcastle News · Premier League · World Cup 2014

128 responses so far ↓

• 1 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 27, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Ooop, Newcastle United dictatorship back in force. I have no doubt that it was partly down to us at all, our track record with injuries suggest probably even more than partly.

• 2 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yeah Australia watch ur tone or in future we wont release our often farmed out reserve CB for ur selection

• 3 Ian Toon // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I quite like the idiot comments. It’s like watching the opening rounds of American Idol. Watching these self deluding types who are convinced they have something interesting to add. Bit like me really.

• 4 Ethiotoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Any news regarding siem’s injury??
    If it is bad,time to panic because he is the most wanted player than anyone else
    in the squad IMO..

Sylvain Marveaux -Guingamp- Loan
    Jonathan Mitchell -Derby County -Free
    Conor Newton- Rotherham United Free
    Michael Richardson -Unassigned -Players Released
    James Tavernier- Wigan Athletic- Undisclosed
    Full Newcastle United Done Deals

As well as Loic and Ldj I think we can all see there is work still to do

• 6 swemag // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

When it comes to our striker search – if we don’t get a top class one I would rather stick to what we have rather than just buy for the sake of buying one.
    What I have seen so far of Perez suggests he is more than someone we will put with the development squad, he has looked very composed and purposeful when on the ball. We have Riviere and at some stage Cisse. Add to that Armstrong coming through, saying that he should probably go out on loan to get some experience.
    So bottom line, unless what we buy is better than that, save the money, Gouffran can play up front as well as it seems we will have a rather crowded midfield this year, Cabella, Tiote and Sissoko were not even with us in NZ. For that part we have new super boy Rolando Aarons coming through, We have De Jong, Collback and Anita, seems quite strong to me.
    Again, unless this new striker adds quality or some other dimension, save the money for when we have some real quality in our sights. Benteke comes to mind.

• 7 Ian Toon // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM

WWSBRD – I am somebody who reads Ed’s articles and doesn’t always bother with the comments. Good is 21 and signed as a 19 year old. He had a short spell at Bradford City and a spell at Dundee interrupted by injury. He’s not expected to play again following his operation until towards the end of the year. His injury progress and footballing aspirations were recently covered in an article in the Chronicle.
    I want to know the extent and depth of views on a subject and to raise begging questions.

• 8 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Ian
    My views on Good in what sense?

• 9 deeps // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Lol..Remy just failed his medical at Liverpool XD

• 10 JrReps // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Remy fails Liverpool medical, if we don’t move in for him now, i will kill myself.

• 11 Jeff from Benwell // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I bet rubber faced Harry knew Remy was crocked

• 12 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Wow this leaves Remy with nowhere to go now as Arsenal and Spurs have already turned him down.
    Unless he goes abroad then we are only his real option now, Unless he goes abroad of course.
    before we get ahead of ourselves would be interesting to see what he failed on RE his medical

• 13 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Damm.
    That means he’ll probably stay at Qpr.
    Hate them kernts.

• 14 yo-yo // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Maybe he failed his medical becasue Liverpool had better options and higher priorities for his position. Dunno if ‘medicals’ have ever been used to end a deal someone’s gone cold on – Anybody know ?

• 15 Average_Contents // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Didn’t remy have some sort of heart murmur? I can’t remember the club who mentioned it but it was whilst he was still in France when he moved between clubs

• 16 Jeff from Benwell // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I think he failed on a wear indicator on his front nearside

• 17 Average_Contents // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Yes it was him!

• 18 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Howay Remy lad stop we’ve all had our fun during the summer sun flirting with others but lets get serious now…its time to come home the kids miss you and its time to rebuild those bridges

• 19 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Yeah he definitely had a heart problem previously. Think he actually failed his medical with Marseille.

• 20 Blubber tits // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

If Liverpool had better options, they’d just pull-out. Why would they bother fabricating a story about a player that they could simply refute.

Everything’s a conspiracy these days.

Remy will probably stay at QPR.

• 21 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Remy has a hole in his heart I think failed a few medicals since OM found it but its never stopped him

Ba has a explosive knee remember

• 22 Average_Contents // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Here’s where the blog comes alive ;-)

• 23 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Surprised they didn’t sign him anyway. Considering the money they’ve just banked from selling Suarez. 8 million isn’t really that much when you take the Suarez money into account.

• 24 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

well that’s funny about remy

he can always go back and play for QPR

• 25 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Remy failed his medical due to a chip on his shoulder

• 26 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I’d still sign him like, even with his dodgy ticker.

My money is on him staying at Qpr though.

• 27 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

jazzy

good day sir how are you

I have to say not so sure I want remy but can we be so fussy although I think he would back to qpr before coming to us

• 28 Ethiotoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I am not keen on Remy.I’d rather have lacazatte by all means. Remy is 27,Laca is 23,if he fails his medical,obviously he has
    a problem, why’d we take that risk?
    Instead of doing risky business,why don’t
    we land Grenier & use siem as a striker?
    Sounds perfect to me..

• 29 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Belfast

You’re completely right. At £8million there is barely any gamble attached. Not when he’s a proven goalscorer and has not had any serious medical issues that have actually impacted his career.

£8mil for a proven PL striker us pennies. It’s even less when you just took in £75mil income!

There’s more to this than the medical. Liverpool have pulled out. The only way to do it without legal/fine backlashes from agents etc, is to fail him on his medical.

• 30 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Ethio

You’re so obsessed with Grenier! You’d seriously choose him over a striker or a CB wouldn’t you?! You must have posters of him covering your walls! :D

• 31 Jeff from Benwell // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Ha ha someone at Wiki has a sense of humour
    Have a look at his current club

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Maybe a bit malicious, but good riddance if Remy end up staying at QPR (and hopefully they will be relegated again)

• 33 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Jesper

You wouldn’t take him back?!
    I’d snap him up.

• 34 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:49 PM

jesper
    Why good riddance? Hes a very good striker works well for us and scored most of our goals last season now we shouldnt want he because of his ambition?

• 35 Pottsclock // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’d take Remy back in a hearbeat !

Proven PL goalscorers are few and far between. Liverpool can afford to be choosy because they have mega bucks and CL football to attract the top players. We don’t have either and need to grasp these opportunities.

Having said that, he probably will go back to QPR which would be a terrible waste as their defence is seriously going to leak goals. (Except for their RB, of course)

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Sliema…I’ll probably let him wait, just to show him ;) lol

*To be honest I don’t like his character and would prefer another player. I actually think that is the reason why Wenger won’t sign him – to him the most important thing is getting the right character.

But beggars can’t be choosers I suppose :)

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Yo…I know we not exactly setting the world a light but honestly I do think we has screwed us over twice (not entirely his fault of course)

…it his character I cannot come to terms with – never could!

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM

*we are not

• 39 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM

No, I think if they keep him fit they’ll stay up no probs.

20 goal a season striker, if he stays fit.

• 40 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Jesper

Yeh there are better options for sure. Remy is incredibly selfish. He tries to do all the work and doesn’t look up for teammates enough imo. Wenger has no interest in people like that.

But, he would add the guaranteed goals that we desperately need. He interlinked quite well, decent movement, he moves defenders around and creates the kind of space that SDJ would be jizzing over.

So in summary, if hell is due to freeze over soon then we might get a better CF in. But if the forecast is correct, it won’t, and we neeeeeeed Remy!!!

• 41 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Beermonkey
    Hey mate how are ya

I don’t think he will go back Qpr mate if he truly does have ambition. There’s more chance at present of getting into Europe through our selves than staying With Qpr and Grotbags.
    Another plus point is that he is proven himself now over the last two season’s, And at 8 mill is a steal.

• 42 MassiveG // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM

We would defo take any one of remy lacazette and PEA and would be lucky to get them as they all want CL..if it’s just a heart murmur Remy has that’s not even a medical condition. I failed a medical with a French team as a kid die to that but just means your heart bounces a couple of times with each beat…

• 43 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM

8 million definitely is peanuts for Liverpool at the moment. I’m sure you could put a clause in his contract or something if needs be.

Maybe they have somebody else lined up ?

• 44 Ethiotoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Sliema
    Cheers.. yeah I would,I will be over the moon if we get G…
    I’m sure u gonna b delighted too…

• 45 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM

jesper
    Mate he got a better offer from a team who were in near enough the same position as us but in a better city and closer to teams who were in the CL, then he signed for us for a year saw us sell our best player and not bother playing for the second half of the season then wanted to see if he could get into a CL team…I dont see where we were screwed over tbh

If he comes back to us I will be over the moon tbh, not as much as if we buy Benteke or Lukaku but he will still score plenty of goals for us

• 46 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Ethio

Not as delighted as you!

We can’t play Siem as a striker. Just to accommodate your wet dream. He’s not a striker. Pardew plays people out of position too much already, we can’t encourage it!

We need a forward. Then a CB. Grenier is not a priority. Yes he’s quality, I like him, I think the squad depth in midfield would be incredible if he signed… But we can’t choose him over a striker. We really can’t.

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Sliema…to be honest I don’t even think Remy wants to come here!

…I think it’s a case of Once Bitten, Twice Shy ;)

*I don’t know what our options are to be honest – not even sure Mr. Tubbs will sanction a big buy (and I cannot see us getting one for free)

• 48 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I’d hope we’d go back in for Remy, last season he didn’t want to be here really and still banged in 14 goals. He’d be that top striker we need for this season at least, and not massively expensive either.

• 49 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM

No chance he’ll join us

Anyway heard he failed his medical. Liverpool pulled the plug after they realised he wasn’t from Southampton.

• 50 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM

sliema

you summed remy up there selfish it worked for us last season due to us being inept in the final 3rd

but look at the way we are trying to play and working the ball into the right areas
    will he slot into it or will he try and take it on his own when there are better options

• 51 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Yo…I am not going to to the goggle and see our league position back in January that season Remy signed for QPR – and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we were a top 7 team and QPR were in the bottom 3?

• 52 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hopefully Loic can see the quality players we are trying to attract and have signed.
    Don’t get me wrong would love Pea here, But our options are fast dwindling with Lacazette refusing to play ball and come to us. Lukaku apparently in negotiations with Everton, Which leaves us again back to Remy

• 53 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM

…and I didn’t see any other team offering him a loan deal that summer?

• 54 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Funny how Guys on here can champion players and staunchly stick up for Players that would be best for there career to move on . Yet players that have done well and would solve our current problem area…..Thet don’t wont them here !!

• 55 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Lots of things are funny (I could name a few that I won’t)

• 56 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM

jesper
    Nar mate we were fighting relegation just like QPR in 16th place

• 57 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM

And thats because of the rape allegations that were hanging over his head which are now gone

The lad is good enough to play for a CL team which he has proven and we are not near doing that so why wouldnt he aim to do what he is capable of?

• 58 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Yo…in January?

• 59 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Name a forward of Remy’s calibre for 8 mill….????? whats that nobody. Exactly.
    When you consider Mcormack went for 11 mill and is nowhere near the class of Loic.
    For the good of Nufc this would be a cracking deal if you can take the personal feelings aside !!

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Yo…

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Yo…sorry wrong season

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Yo…we where 15 I can see and QPR last.

• 63 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:15 PM

jesper
    Thats this year

Is around the date Remy signed for QPR

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Worse than I remember I’ll say that!

• 65 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM

jazzy

are we after a striker??

its not often teams line up with 2 strikers
    we have cisse who needs service which look to have for him but it remains to be seen if he can get back to his best
    rivere has potential and good movement and can play wide
    dejong can play up front and prob will if we go 433 best as number 10

then we have Armstrong perez cambell all behind them

not saying we don’t need a proven player like remy but there is enough there to get xmas and then see how we are doing a plan that will suit the club

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Yo…but QPR was a lost cause and relegation bound!

• 67 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Haha no worries mate. We we’re as dog crap as QPR at the time and very much looked like we would be joining them in that relegation battle at the time

• 68 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM

jesper
    They were only 7ish points behind us

• 69 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Beermonkey

I think that his movement alone would add goals to the team from our midfield. Nevermind some if his own selfish 15 goals.

I think he’d be a lot better in our team. He played selfishly to put himself in the shop window, but I don’t blame him. We were cack last season, we created nothing from Jan onwards. He made a sensible decision to not care about the success of the team (a view shared by the other players it seems, oh and the management, since selling and bit replacing Cabaye).

Sign him up.

• 70 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Yo…I can see, but QPR was not going to crawl out of that slump – I don’t think ever a team being where they were have stayed up?

…I don’t think we would come here – going by what has happened twice now, and I don’t think a match for us, even with the goals.

How many goals did he contribute the last few month of his deal?

• 71 Spoof // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Arsenal don’t want him, Liverpool won’t take him, somehow it just seems that he is destined to come here, only problem is that he seems to want to be anywhere apart from up here ?

• 72 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Beermonkey

Do you think we can shun an opportunity to sign a quality striker like Loic Remy when all we have to rely on is a misfiring Cisse that may or may not find his goal scoring boots again. Or an unproven Riviere that may or may not prove to be a hit in the PL. Or then we could rely on Our youngsters that do admittedly look promising for the future.

Personally mate I don’t think none of the above are in Remy’s class and would add yet another cutting edge to our play

• 73 martoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Why do you lot want a player who obviously thinks we are beneath him and refused to play for us against Liverpool in the last match of the season. I know players have no loyalty these days but he is on a different level of selfish b*st*rdness.

• 74 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Sliema…I am just highlighting why I don’t think he would be a great buy for us…

• 75 Andymax // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I thought Remy had a release clause for Champions league teams of £8 million, any other club and price rose to £15 million.

• 76 Ethiotoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Latest done deals:
    Griezmann- At.Madrid
    Ospina-Arsenal
    Chambers-Arsenal
    Lovren-Liverpool
    Origi-Liverpool
    Di Maria-man utd

• 77 deeps // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Wtf…?? Di Maria signed for Man utd?? :o

• 78 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM

jazzy

we know we cant and if there is a chance we should take it, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up you know wot the club are like

what I will say is the last player we signed that failed a medical for fool and came to us was marveax lol

• 79 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Spoof
    Apart from Spurs I don’t see what alternative he has now.
    I just don’t see him staying at Qpr and settling for another fight against relegation. hopefully he has seen the quality we have brought in up to yet and maybe we can sell him the dream that we have sold SDJ and cabella

• 80 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM

deeps

where u get that from

• 81 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM

jesper
    We were playing not much different from QPR

And I dont know if he would come back here but I dont see why we shouldnt try hes better than what we have and is a realistic target

How many goals did anyone contribute for the second half of the season?

• 82 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Martoon

Would you welcome Lacazette or Pea mate, Both have shunned us for more ambition.
    We all accepted Remy here last term mate when he had chosen Qpr the previous season and it proved to be a success on the pitch.

• 83 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Call Remy a mercenary if you want but I would have him back at NUFC .

We already know he can do the business in the PL with us & QPR, plus he knows the area and will have made friends at the club .

————–Tiote————Colback————

—Sissoko———-De Jong———-Cabella—

————————Remy———————–

Yes please .

• 84 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM

BPC
    Exactly mate. Put personal feeling aside and look at the service he would get now with the players we have signed.And I think he would be a 20 goal a season player

• 85 JAMSHA // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM

poor remy… dats what happen if u fool around with newcastle….. be good to newcastle an ul get a good club

• 86 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce We understand that #NUFC may quickly move for Loic Remy after his Liverpool transfer has fell through #LFC #QPR

• 87 martoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM

jazzyp – In my opinion players are entitled to choose one club over another but when you are contracted to play for a team and refuse that is a different level. – I can’t imagine Pardew would be too happy either.

• 88 wingspan // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Gents, does anyone know when the world cup boys are back?
    You reckon any of the new lads will be playing at the sheff wed match?
    Cheers

• 89 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Tbf Remy said he asked if he could be rested as he didnt want to re-injure himself and Pardew agreed to it…if I ask my boss if I can have the day off and he says yes that isnt me refusing to go to work

• 90 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Yo…I would look else where!

*Think we have as much a chance of signing PEA, Lacazette or Lukaka.

Loic Remy is the wrong character for us in my opinion and I believe Wenger thought the same in regards to Arsenal.

• 91 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Also the last striker we signed that previously failed a medical wasn’t to bad for us was he ? ;) .

• 92 Spoof // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

The thing is though Jazzyp, with us just being mid table Qpr can ask for £15m ish, if they are prepared to take what they would have got from Liverpool then we could be in business as Ashley to his credit would pay his wages as he did last season, he may be a mercenary, he may not be be nicest person in the world and have a dubious attitude but he can perform on the pitch, I doubt you could get better for £8m, but we will have to see

• 93 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Would you rather pay £ 15 million for a proven PL goal scorer in Remy or pay the same amount for Lacazette ? .

I know who I would prefer .

• 94 JamesToon // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Remy has already rejected us i think

• 95 martoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM

WWSBRD @89 – I find that hard to believe because if we had managed to beat Liverpool we would have finished above Stoke which would have been a few million more to the club – so it wasn’t a meaningless match and therefore you want your best players playing.

• 96 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM

jesper
    Arsenal are a heck of a lot better than us at attracting quality players than us they can afford to turn down such players…I dont think we can

martoon
    Then why didnt Pardew come out and say he refused to play? He threw Cabaye under the bus quick enough for apparently doing so

• 97 Ian Toon // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM

-Marveaux failed a medical at Liverpool and we signed him. That worked out well.
    – Remy fails a medical at Liverpool ……..

• 98 Spoof // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM

BPC

Remy, no doubt about it, but would Ashley pay £15m for either of them, I doubt it, but at £8m then yes I think he would.

• 99 Ethiotoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Our power houses cabella,sissoko,janmaat will join the rest tomorrow, but I don’t think they will play
    against Sheffield on Wednesday.
    But will start training and …

• 100 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM

@ Spoof

I wouldn’t pay that for any of them either, but if we were to spend £10 million plus on a striker I would pick Remy over every player we have been linked with other than Aubameyang .

• 101 Slank // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Remy’s medical condition raises interesting questions.

1. Why did he not fail his QPR medical ?

2. Did he have a medical at Newcastle, and if not why not ?

3. Why wasn’t his condition known before ?

• 102 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM

BPC

If it’s the same price for either, then actually I’d go for Lacazette! I’ve watched him twice. Didn’t score in those two games but he looked very impressive.

He’s only 23 and is very highly rated in France. I’d take Remy for £10mil or under. But if £15mil gets L then I’d choose him.

• 103 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

@ sliema

We very rarely spend big under Ashley so I would go for the proven PL player every time with him in charge .

• 104 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM

To…True Arsenal are a kigger and better club, but it’s not like it’s Remy or no one. There are better players out there for £15M even with a better attitude and less selfish of the negative kind.

…my opinion :)

• 105 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM

*bigger

• 106 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

BPC

But you asked to choose between them if they’re both the same price. If take Remy.

I agree though, Ash ain’t spending £15mil on one player, not after he has most of our fan-base lauding over our signings so far already. He’s achieved all he needed to this window.

• 107 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I’d take LACAZETTE!***

Haha.

• 108 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Yo…I just called you To :D sorry mate!

• 109 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM

jesper
    Haha its alright mate. Tbh I dont know who the club are targeting for a striker or even if they are but Lacazette isnt coming and I dont see Lukaku, Benteke or PEA joining us either the striker options are dwindling pretty quickly

If Remy is available I think we would be daft not to attempt to get him

• 110 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Yo…I don’t know who we are after either if any. I fear if we are going to buy one it won’t be that prolific forward we all want :(

• 111 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

More pic’s of the kit:

• 112 WWSBRD // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM

jesper
    Thats my fear too, I dont see us bringing in any more strikers, gambling on Cisse remembering hes a footballer wouldnt shock me

• 113 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Jesper, Go build some sandcastles you miserable sod.

• 114 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Qpr would have new about his heart condition slank, probably just decided to take the risk anyway. We would have new about it as well, but he was Qprs player, so no risk to us really.

• 115 lesh // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

It’s all well and good speculating about £8m – £15m transfer fee but what are the implications attached to insuring a player who’s failed a medical?

Could it be that insurance premiums etc make any deal uneconomic?

Anyone got any ideas?

• 116 jazzyp // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Lesh
    Im sure we can take the same insurance policy out that we had for Ba’s dodgy knee

• 117 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM

The way some people talked about Ba you would think someone had filled his knee with a C4 plastic explosive :) .

In reality he was one of our most consistent players appearance wise and Cisse has been injured more than him in the last few years .

• 118 Bambams // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Remy and Rivvy up front would be a decent pairing, however if it is £15 million I can see Ash asking to wait and see how Rivvy and Cisse can play. I genuinely believe that partnership could work. Cisse is an instinctive finisher, a half chance finisher when he does not have to think about what he is doing. Knock downs and assists from Rivvy may work.

I am hopeful.

• 119 Bambams // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

According to sky….
    Remy signing was dependant on Borini signing for Sunderland…..

Interesting. Wonder if the purse strings are being tightened at pool…

• 120 Slank // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Belfast,

I don’t quite understand the logic of Liverpool pulling out of the Remy transfer.

Surely the cost of additional insurance against Remy ending his career through his condition must be substantially less than the loss in revenue in not qualifying for the Champions League because of a lack of goals and hence not winning enough games.

• 121 Markaccus // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Ok. I am well behind this weekend. Remy failed his med at lpool? Quick scan suggests some fans still want him. Do we know why he failed his medical? Do we trust him to play here given his nature? Would he even pass our medical? Appologies if people have already answered these questions

good evening btw :D

• 122 Belfast // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Just seen that on sky there.

I find that hard to believe tbh

• 123 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Liverpool need more quality players in their squad as they are in the Champions League next year .

I they are a goal down in the Champions League they would rather bring Remy off the bench than Borini . That’s why Remy should come to NUFC and be the main man with Rivierre & Cisse as back up .

• 124 Markaccus // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Liverpool are going to be short on goals. Can they rely on Borini, if that was the reason they were going to buy remy (his departure) are they now going to trust him yo score?

• 125 Markaccus // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Didnt Marveaux fail a med at liverpool before we signed him? Sure it was something like that

• 126 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM

@ Mark

He did m8 .

I think Liverpool must be scared since signing Andy “the glass man” Carroll from us and him flopping big time with injuries .

• 127 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Belfast…I’ll build one so you have a place to play under supervision!

• 128 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM

lesh…I heard when we signed Ba one of the problems were no insurance company wanted to insure his knee.

…and that was why Stoke didn’t want to take the risk

previous post: Newcastle Make New Approach For Shakhtar Striker

next post: Loic Remy Fails Liverpool Medical – Newcastle Back In?