The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Remy’s Failed Medical GIves Newcastle Another Opportunity

11:42 pm, Sunday, July 27th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

Queens Park Rangers are not pleased, and that’s putting it mildly,  that Liverpool football club leaked the news this afternoon that Loic Remy’s potential move to the Reds is off, after Remy failed a medical in Boston today.

loic remy scores 3-1

Loic Remy – Liverpool move off

The £8M move to Anfield is off,  although the London club are saying the deal is still on from their viewpoint, but it’s off as far as Liverpool are concerned – and that’s important. :D

When the Liverpool squad arrived at Chicago for tonight’s game against Olympiakos. no reason was given by the club as to why the deal was called off.

Remy was in Boston (where Liverpool’s owners are located)  to take the medical under the direction of club doctor Zaf Iqbal, and The French striker was also to discuss a four year £80K/week deal, but Remy is now returning to England.

It’s likely that Liverpool could go after Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, who is one of Newcastle’s striker targets this summer, but the 23 year-old wants to play for a Champions League club.

And there was news today that Newcastle had moved in to try to sign the two times capped French International striker.

Remy is still a QPR player, and he may elect to stay at the London club, but other big clubs could also make  a move for the 27 year-old, who had a great season at Newcastle last term.

Arsenal called off their pursuit of Remy over his wage demands a week or so ago, so surely Newcastle will now make another attempt to sign the striker who scored 14 goals in 27 games for the Magpies while on loan last season.

That’s assuming the medical condition Liverpool found during the medical is not too serious.

In January of 2011 Demba Ba failed his medical at Stoke because of a dodgy knee, but that didn’t stop West Ham signing him almost immediately, and he then Ba signed for Newcastle the following June as a free agent, after the Hammers had been relegated.

The failure of Remy to pass his medical could also bring down the curtain on Newcastle’s pursuit of Alexandre Lacazette – if Liverpool decide to go in for the Lyon striker.

Some Newcastle fans are not happy with Remy’s attitude over the last couple of months of last season, but that could soon disappear if Remy signs on permanently at the club

Newcastle must now be in with a decent chance of signing Loic Remy.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Contracts · Loic Remy · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sliema // Jul 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM

We should sign him up asap.

14 goals will gain us a place or two at least. We need a CF. He’s proven PL quality. We’d be mad to pass this up!

• 2 Toonfan8 // Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I have a feeling, that this saga has to be happyending :D He will sign for us, bang in 20 or more goals and next year we will be in TOP four…yes its very ambitious, but why not? we have to be positive and think big, if we are not thinking big, then we cant be big club….

• 3 Mr Magpie // Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

All depends what qpr are asking, if it’s £15 million I’d leave him alone. At 27 he is older than are usual signings, so no real resale value for Ashley.
    I personally would much rather use the money on Benteke who is younger & more the type of striker i think we need.

• 4 ochytoon // Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

@beermonkey
    Perhaps you’re right. Maybe we would have held onto some of those players had we finished 6th/7th that season and we could have built from there.

I think Pochettino is gone within 18 months unless Lamela and Soldado suddenly become world beaters. I just don’t think Tottenham have that good a team, they just have a bucket load of players. Lloris is obviously world class but at the back they have a poor mans David Luiz in the shape of Vertonghen and I don’t really rate their fullbacks. Their midfield, bar Erikssen, is painfully average and I think they would do well to ship out the likes of Chadli, Sandro, Paulinho etc. Up front they have Adebayor who only remembers how to play football when he feels like it and a complete crock in Soldado. I think he’s got a much harder task on his hands than he did at Southampton.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United are all above his team so they can count out Champions League, and I would say ourselves and Everton are on their level now. In all honesty I can see them coming 7th or 8th.

• 5 Shaker Shakrah // Jul 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM

No means No
    I hope NOT !!
    after all his actions in the last two years .

• 6 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM

ochytoon

they spent all that cash last year and they have had the same problem for ages bad defence its cost over the last few years and yet they still have not invested in it

• 7 Blaydon-Toon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Just think Remy Vlaar PEA outlay 20-23 million that would take us to the next level ie pushing for a top 6 finish various options and systems with quality on the bench – will never happen but I can dream !

• 8 Toonfan8 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Benteke is my first choice, as he is real beast, he would add presence, power, speed and everythink we lacked after Ba departure, but he is younger and a lot quicker than Ba…
    Remy is second choice, as he is quick and very smart in his movement. Not such powerful as Benteke, but smarter in finding positions and trickier…
    Lacazette is third choice as he is quick and tricky, but not that clinical at finishing as Remy and not that powerful and big like Benteke….
    Bony I think is unrealistic, as his agents said we didnt want him last season and now he cost a lot more…
    PEA—his situation in Dortmund was just classic paper talk, he had good first season there, scored some goals, but if availible, he would be my first choice…but why he would choose us from Dortmund where is Champions league
    Lukaku—I think Mourinho doesnt really want to sell him, he will give him this season.They only bring Diego Costa, who is unproven here, remember Shevchenko.They have out of form Torres and I forgot old Drogba is there. For me Lukaku has quality to became first choice there…

• 9 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Without a striker of his quality, this season and probably the next, will be a washout. If we get a quality finisher, it puts us slightly ahead of we here we were at the start of last season. Which you’d think we’d need to do each year to keep our best players and progress. But Ashley has shown that he’ll stick to his transfer policy even when it appears and has been shown to be a false economy.

I’d rather not have him, but we need someone like him, at a minimum.

• 10 Toonfan8 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:07 AM

BlaydonToon
    PEA alone would cost 20, that 7M was just bullshit…

• 11 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I don’t get the people who have a problem with the lad, When he was here he played well, He has no ties to any English clubs so why not go where the money is but when he’s playing for who ever he does the job, Do you really believe any of our lads bleed for the badge like they used to, grow up its a money game now, If you only want players who love the club like us then we would be playing and be pretty sh#t

• 12 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Blaydon

Your selections are unrealistic.

If Vlaar goes, it will be to Man Utd.

PEA scored twice in the first 10 mins. in Dortmunds friendly yesterday. If they had any intention if selling him, he woukdnt gave started

• 13 Blaydon-Toon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Would not pay 20m for Pea but would be a great addition imagine a front 3 Remy SDJ PEA loads of pace and the intelligence of SDJ would cause most teams problems

• 14 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Ex a lot of teams play the players they want to get rid of so there price goes up, But trust me he wont be comming here but will leave man u

• 15 Toonfan8 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:14 AM

i would love them here but I think PEA is really unrealistic…Remy on the other hand could be here now, I want him here, because he will give something we are lacking now

• 16 Blaydon-Toon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I know reality is we will never sign him just a pipe dream ! We certainly need a striker and another CB I am a realist

• 17 Toonfan8 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM

but I like Pérez and Armstrong, they have big future here

• 18 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Guys

So far this window, we have replaced like for like with minimum expended.

However, there are still several players on our books who are unwanted and high earners which Ashley will want removed from thr wage bill before he gives the go ahead for any further investment.

• 19 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Surely when you are earning that much, it shouldn’t just be about money though. The quality of the club and fans and how much you’re needed and wanted should play a significant role. If Newcastle put together a fair package, and he’s consistently saying I’ll go where I get the best deal, which I’d prefer to be elsewhere, then it leaves you a bit flat as a fan looking on. Much prefer Lacazette, but even so at 8 or 9 million and 80 000 a week and considering the position we are in, he’s worth it.

• 20 Blaydon-Toon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Expat if Vlaar goes to united and they get Hummels not much pace there I think they are very similar players and they need a RB too

• 21 ochytoon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Really don’t understand this sudden fascination with Vlaar that a lot of clubs seem to be having. Sure he’s a decent centre half but he’s no one to be drooling over.

• 22 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Jimmysmith what I,m saying is I would pay to play for the toon and break my legs if need be, But if two french teams came in for me one playing champions league and offering me a lot more money with a world wide bigger fan base and one team that finished 10th I know where I would go, do you? And by the way I love this club just think outside the toon what would you do?? And his buy out clause is only for champions league clubs we would have to pay full whack

• 23 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM

ochytoon

cos he had a good world cup

• 24 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Blaydon

I agree that we need a quality CB and CF but history with Ashley shows that there isnt a cat in hells chance of signing 2 of the 3 players you named as their prices would be considered out of his spending range.

Remy could be a possibility but having turned us down twice, I wouldnt expect Ashley to go back in for him unless QPR and the player himself were desperate enough to lower their demands.

That is realism mate

• 25 ochytoon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM

@beermonkey
    I suppose so. He’s not good enough to start for any top 8 team in my opinion.

• 26 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Blaydon

I believe Dortmund turned down Uniteds offer. They might consider Vlaar their next option especially when you consider Van Gaal played him in every game of the WC and he already had a season experience in the PL under his belt

• 27 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Wages off the books – Shola, Remy, Marv, Gosling, DeJong, Debuchey, Cabaye.

Wages on the books – Perez, Cabella, Jaanmat, Rivierre, Abeid, DeJong, Colback.

Have I missed anyone.

I feel as though we have likely reduced the wage bill as things stand and should be able to sign a top forward before the necessity to sell.

Getting Jonas, Benny, and Obertan off the books would be a big boost to our fortunes though, I agree.

• 28 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM

ochytoon

not been that good for villa i wouldn’t want him i think there is better out there
    but until mbiwa goes nothing is going to happen with our defence
    we really need to be investing in new pairing for the back 1 that we can have for a couple of years before we start to sell them

• 29 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Shearerclass

The fee QPR now get for him is now dependant on a number of factors which possibly lie heavily now in him leaving for a vastly reduced fee

• 30 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Yeah I know Ex but we cant get him for 8,5 mill buy out, I think they would ask for round 11 mill if no one is willing to match the buy out clause in the top four, I think dirty Harry would waiste there money and hold on to him for a season if they dont get top dollar

• 31 AmeriToon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Blaydon Toon
    are you crazy man?
    Vlaar was one of the fastest players at the world cup!!
    he beat eden hazard in a race and he’s built like a tank

• 32 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Yeah, he’s perfectly entitled to look after himself, as he clearly does. I’m just saying after twice somewhat spurning us, I’d prefer someone a little less about himself and who has a little more buy in to the project. I think Remy is in a position to be that player, but has twice chosen not to be. But, as Ive said, we need someone of his quality.

• 33 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Jimmy

A few kids left as well including Tavernier, Newton, Richardson and Mitchell. Minimal salary savings but savings all the same.

The thing we dont know is how much have we spent on agents and sign on fees

• 34 ochytoon // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM

@beermonkey
    Yeah I would really like us to invest in a quality young centre back as well as an established one so we can build for the future

• 35 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM

ochytoon

i think we have a couple in good and satka but we need them to start coming through

i hope satka plays some part against Malaga and shalke the same for Aarons and Armstrong it will give us a better indication of how far away they are

• 36 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM

If QPR wouldnt sell to anyone outside the top 4 for 8 mill, then surely they’d be happy enough the deal is off and to take him back. I don’t think that’s the case having agreed to let him go and apparently being upset it’s fallen through. An offer of 8 mill would surely get him if he were willing to come. Our money is as good as anyone else’s and its cash up front.

• 37 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Shearerclass

I think it is pretty certain QPR and Remy will part. They have far too many players on their books, desperately need to reduce their wage bill and are in serious danger of being heavily fined for breaching FFP rulings.

They have just spent 8 million on Caulker and are spparently trying to sign Etoo.

I think their goose is cooked mate and Remy knows it. I think we could get him too because QPR will be desperate for money and we can pay the lot up front.

All depends if Ashley is prepared to forgive.

• 38 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:51 AM

I hope you guys are right I for one would love remy signed here, But just hate the way qpr do there business and more so dirty harry I think they would take the fine on the chin more money than sense HWTL Dos any one now the extend of siem’s injury? and watching the the friendly’s, I really hope to see more of aaron that boy along with armstrong could step up both looked sharp

• 39 swemag // Jul 28, 2014 at 1:08 AM

With Remy in the team and de Jong and Cabella fit all season we will finish top 5.

• 40 lesh // Jul 28, 2014 at 1:11 AM

expatmag…. QPR like Citeh and PSG may get a fine and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Liverpool receiving a slap either.

Their financial sufficiency was questionable last year and ok, they’ve sold Suarez for £75m, but Rogers spending as though he had a bottomless pot.

They’re only just qualified for the ECL but all of that revenue won’t kick in until 2015/16’s accounts. So, balancing their books’ll be a bit tricky.

(Aplogies for the above tripe but, well……)

• 41 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM

LESH
    When you have cash nothing matters liverpool sold a player that is banned to a team that is banned from buying it,s all rubbish, This stuff only affects clubs without mega money, Man u have a bad year then get 75mill a year on a sponser deal with no champs league its all bent

• 42 Blofal // Jul 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Don’t want him. He is a mercenary. And to be honest he no longer fits the clubs transfer policy. He did when he was 25 and we wanted him.

The only top flight proven young goal scorer for us is Lukaku in my opinion. We should be moving heaven and earth to get him.

• 43 lesh // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:12 AM

shearerclass09….

Yup, money talks!

• 44 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Lesh

Thats why i wont be holding my breath on winning a trophy in my lifetime mate……lol

• 45 shearerclass09 // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM

There is no way we will ever make top four till some crazy arab or like buys us and plays fantasy football with us till then top ten is not bad this prem league is messed up at the mo

• 46 WestOzMag // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:45 AM

That’s a hell of a statement swemag considering we have one of the worst managers in the epl. To finish 5th we’d have to be better than spurs, everton and one of the big clubs, city,man utd Chelsea livepool or arsenal. That atm is just not possible. Kudos for your positive outlook though!!

• 47 WestOzMag // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Really don’t think we can do anything better than 9th place to be honest. Even with a solid rb in Jaanmart. Willo is still not going to convince me enough and taylor is utter pants. This spot needs to be fixed. Lack of pace at cb is clearly worrying.

• 48 swemag // Jul 28, 2014 at 3:06 AM

There are a few big IFs in there, de Jong and Cabella available all season plus we get Remy.

All those other clubs have European football to think about plus will probably go far in the domestic cups, we are usually done with the domestic cups around January… Should give us enough to finish off strong.

• 49 JDdubai // Jul 28, 2014 at 4:13 AM

I agree with most that Remy doesnt want to particularly play for us and is money orientated.

But is there a better striker out there who we will get? Any better players dont want to come as far as I can see, doesnt leave many options and as a player with proven PL experience Remy is possibly the better bet. Just no buyout clause please, if he comes then he stays.

• 50 expatmag // Jul 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Dubai

Stefan Kiesling from Bayer Levetkuesen would do me

• 51 spitfire_ // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Remy’s Failed Medical GIves Newcastle Another Opportunity

Another opportunity to have a “NO” from Remy… for a third time. C’mon, we can do it!

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM

I guess we will see soon enough whether we will sign another forward or not – anything is possible in football of course!

I’ll say if logic dictates on here for people that a player who have rejected us twice because he wants CL and high wages, then I’ll argue that same logic will dictate we have as much chance of signing PEA, Benteke, Lacazette or Lukaka.

I don’t see QPR need to sell anymore than those other teams – and as we know it’s not always up to the team. Remy has chosen a relegation bound team before so he has no problem staying if a CL doesn’t come in for him.

To me this guy is trouble – why go looking for it when we already have problems of our own. There are plenty of other players out there for less than £15M who will get the job done.

• 53 Sliema // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Jesper

I agree mostly with what you’re saying. But I’d still take him back. I’m a sucker for a goalscorer lol.

Problem is, if we could agree £8mil (unlikely/depends on release clause) that’d be great. Ashley ain’t going to spend £15mil, you said it yourself.

Who is better for £8mil?

• 54 valle // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:45 AM

A guy that goes so much out of his way NOT to play for us, should not be considered at all… The guy chose QPR over us for “¤%# sake! It shows you all you need to know. There must be other strikers out there for us to sign, than the 3 we keep hearing about all the time.

• 55 cyprus // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:50 AM

No doubt on this player’s ability, yet the words ‘failed medical’ should mean ‘stay away’. We got lucky with Ba, it won’t happen again unless the docs bungled it once more, an almost impossibility. Apart from your regular injuries, Remy seems to have other medical issues as well. Remy, bow your head, apologise to ‘Arry, and get training with your team… reminder: it’s QPR.

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Sliema…if we are speaking hypothetical then sure I would pay £8M ;)

…but why didn’t we buy for that when he was here on loan?

• 57 Ethiotoon // Jul 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Morning all…EID MUBARAK…
    Considering the current situations,things are a little bit difficult to get top striker. we
    have to wait till august 10,at least ,to see who we may snick…
    Have a nice holiday..

• 58 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:01 AM

A victim of his own hubris. He’s quite probably not good enough for one of the senior sides anyway, and certainly not capable of adequately replacing Suarez at Liverpool. Guy probably needs a reality check. Yes, a season back at Queens Park Relegated with old meat face wouldn’t be such an unjust outcome if he doesn’t fancy us.

• 59 funkness // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I think, the people that are building up the hype about Ron Vlaar are missing an important factor, that is clouding his actual ability. Holland played with 3 CBs, having Vlaar play between Indi-Martins and de Vrij. That made his job so much easier, than having to play with only one besides him, as he has been doing for Villa. Holland played a counter attacking game, and primarily sat back, depending on the front three to create on the break. The fullbacks supported their attacks, but with De Jong in front of the back 3, they were hardly bothered. If not for Robben, Van Persie and Schnejder – who are world class players, the system wouldn’t have worked at all, as Holland created absolutely nothing against teams, that didn’t attack them. The only team that did so were Spain, and against a team like that, the system appears to be perfect. Holland didn’t act, they only reacted, and thereby effectively killed off every other game they played. The QF and the SF ended 0-0 ..
    In a system like that, a player like Vlaar looks like a World beater, but I honestly think, that if a big club with aspirations of say winning the League were to buy him, they would be in for serious dissapointment.
    I don’t believe for one second, that he’ll end up at Man Utd., as Van Gaal only played like he did at the World Cup, because he didn’t think the players available were strong enough to dominate games. He played to their strenghts, and relied on his front three doing the business. He won’t be forced to do that at a club like Man Utd., meaning Vlaar will most likely not even be considered …

• 60 firebug666 // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:11 AM

The question is do we really want a player who will be pushing to move on to a bigger club every window?

If he had a good first half to the season and other clubs were linked with wanting him he would want to be off, and if we said no your staying, we would have an unsettled player on our hands.

• 61 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:34 AM

SSN reporting last night that Remy ‘failed’ his medical because they can’t shift Borini.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Funkness,
    Excellent summary !

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Firebug,
    It seems that under our current policy a lot of people will be happy to have a player like Remy who is angling for a move every window than not at all, JazzyP is a one who is fond of saying ‘I’d rather have them for a season and a half than see them go somewhere else’
    That’s the same JazzyP who laughed at Andy Carrolls injury hours before our very own injury prone player SDJ limped off injured.

• 64 lochinvar // Jul 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Does it not occur to anyone that if Remy has for example a serious heart defect then the Docs will be advising him to stop playing and to have surgery. It that scenario all the guff about transfers becomes irrelevant and for Remy as for all of us it should be case of ” health first”.

If the medical has shown something else less serious and treatable then of course he has other options – maybe West Ham will bail out Harry and use Remy as cover for Carroll or is that ridiculous ?

• 65 Average_Contents // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:02 AM

What are the mackems going to do now Borini has turned them down? Go for Remy? If they’d spend £14m on Borini then why not remy? Would he go after playing for us and knowing the rivalry? Of course he would if they offered enough the little kunt….I agree with jimmysmith I don’t want him here but who else can we get in with his quality for a reasonable price? They’ll most probably be thinking better the devil you know!

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM

If £15M is a reasonable fee I would assume there are enough to pick from if our scouts have done their job.

…seeing as Remy can only sign for one team and everyone other team in our position will have do do without (and they will) we sure as hell can as well!

*Maybe it’s time we stop making Remy out to be something he isn’t…maybe it’s time we brought him down from this pedestal we have put him up on.

He is not that special!

• 67 Average_Contents // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Oh yeah I forgot to say, there are rumours floating around on twatter that we’ve bid £8.5m for grenier and £13m for Lacazette….Ok then!

• 68 firebug666 // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Jail for Ashley

I just think this would be a bad move for Newcastle, If we get him in it is simply because no one else wanted him. The fact that he would never choose us except for money should be enough for the fans.

He has spurned us twice, once for his lowly parent club QPR. He could never come here and pull on those black and white stripes with a feeling of pride or belonging, simply because he never wanted to be here.

I know he is proven and did OK for us last term, but for me this is simple, forget Remy and move on to other targets, someone who wants to play football for the team, the fans, the city and the love of football, not somebody playing for a big payday.

• 69 Bambams // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I am happy with the signings thus far. …

However the spine is not as strong without a commanding CB and a proven striker.

Dont get me wrong I am genuinely optimistic about this season…… Just feel we may be missing a good chance to really catch up to top 5 with a bit of a dip into the sky tv money and not just the profits of player sales

• 70 Average_Contents // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Jesper

I agree he thinks he’s the dogs bollox mate and I don’t want him here! Can you imagine if he did well he’d be sulking and stropping if another club came in for him and we turned them down! Always angling for a move every window but beggars can’t be choosers as they say….let’s hope they have someone lined up

• 71 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM

AC…totally agree! and yes beggars cannot be choosers – but is this a case of us being in a position to be able to choose? Remy was shun us twice (the writing is on the wall)

As I wrote earlier “The question we should ask ourselves is will Mr. Tubbs spend that much? Would he even spend at all?”

• 72 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM

*was = has

• 73 Markaccus // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Another question would be… “are we prepared to put up with the fact he may go missing again at the end of the season, especially if it costs us places?”. The lad is a good striker, and will get 20 goals if given games and good service. (14 in 27 is better than a goal every 2 games). We can now offer bothe here, but it would still be down to him WANTING to play.

• 74 funkness // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Thank you, Jail.

Some people may point to the fact, that he is doing the same at Man Utd now, as he tried the same formation against LA Galaxy, and that my argument is therefor flawed. But, as I see it, he has the same problem at Man Utd at present, until he goes out a new CB, as he now only has Evans, Jones and Smalling at his disposal. Any combination of these three isn’t strong enough for a title push, meaning he has to buy a starter to partner one of them ..
    The second that one is in, I believe the system with 3 CBs is out the window ..

If Van Gaal was our manager, I would suspect, he would do the same – play 3 at the back, as no combination of 2 of our 4 CBs appears to be strong enough, unless of course Tiote was able to copy the way Mascherano played that DM role at the World Cup, dropping back as a third CB if needed and thereby helping out the defence immensly. His play at the World Cup was a master class in how to play that role, I think ..

• 75 spudzzz // Jul 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

@jesper
    spot on….Remy is really not that special …not as good as he thinks he is….let QPR keep him and ruin the team spirit…Even if he signed for liverpool he would have been on bench more often than not. and i wouldn’t a player with his arrogance and attitude. funny how papers were saying how arsenal, spurs, liverpool, etc…were fighting tooth and nail to get him about a month ago….i really hope he stays at qpr to fight relagation… however would nt surprise me if he prefered to return to french mickey mouse league with a cl team but that would definitely not be PSG…they wouldnt want him (even if they did…he wouldnt get a game there either)

• 76 musomag // Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Remy is a proper ballbag, no team needs a bad character like him in the squad.

Give our young players a proper chance to come through the academy ranks…..if they are not good enough to play in the Premier League THEN look at buying players

• 77 123 Dummet Time // Jul 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This guy knows what hes talking about: http://www.utd111.co.uk/blog/2014/07/28/loic-remy-no-thanks/?

• 78 derekm // Jul 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I think Remys agents has cocked this one up the same as he did with Arsenal – there comes a point where clubs will simply say enough is enough, and bearing in mind how Remy moved to QPR solely for the money, clubs have been wary of him and his representatives.

previous post: Loic Remy Fails Liverpool Medical – Newcastle Back In?

next post: Cabella And World Cup Stars Return To Newcastle