Remy’s Failed Medical GIves Newcastle Another Opportunity

Queens Park Rangers are not pleased, and that’s putting it mildly,  that Liverpool football club leaked the news this afternoon that Loic Remy’s potential move to the Reds is off, after Remy failed a medical in Boston today.

loic remy scores 3-1

Loic Remy – Liverpool move off

The £8M move to Anfield is off,  although the London club are saying the deal is still on from their viewpoint, but it’s off as far as Liverpool are concerned – and that’s important. 😀

When the Liverpool squad arrived at Chicago for tonight’s game against Olympiakos. no reason was given by the club as to why the deal was called off.

Remy was in Boston (where Liverpool’s owners are located)  to take the medical under the direction of club doctor Zaf Iqbal, and The French striker was also to discuss a four year £80K/week deal, but Remy is now returning to England.

It’s likely that Liverpool could go after Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, who is one of Newcastle’s striker targets this summer, but the 23 year-old wants to play for a Champions League club.

And there was news today that Newcastle had moved in to try to sign the two times capped French International striker.

Remy is still a QPR player, and he may elect to stay at the London club, but other big clubs could also make  a move for the 27 year-old, who had a great season at Newcastle last term.

Arsenal called off their pursuit of Remy over his wage demands a week or so ago, so surely Newcastle will now make another attempt to sign the striker who scored 14 goals in 27 games for the Magpies while on loan last season.

That’s assuming the medical condition Liverpool found during the medical is not too serious.

In January of 2011 Demba Ba failed his medical at Stoke because of a dodgy knee, but that didn’t stop West Ham signing him almost immediately, and he then Ba signed for Newcastle the following June as a free agent, after the Hammers had been relegated.

The failure of Remy to pass his medical could also bring down the curtain on Newcastle’s pursuit of Alexandre Lacazette – if Liverpool decide to go in for the Lyon striker.

Some Newcastle fans are not happy with Remy’s attitude over the last couple of months of last season, but that could soon disappear if Remy signs on permanently at the club

Newcastle must now be in with a decent chance of signing Loic Remy.

Below are our three social media sites:

• Sliema

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM

We should sign him up asap.

14 goals will gain us a place or two at least. We need a CF. He’s proven PL quality. We’d be mad to pass this up!

• Toonfan8

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I have a feeling, that this saga has to be happyending 😀 He will sign for us, bang in 20 or more goals and next year we will be in TOP four…yes its very ambitious, but why not? we have to be positive and think big, if we are not thinking big, then we cant be big club….

• Mr Magpie

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

All depends what qpr are asking, if it’s £15 million I’d leave him alone. At 27 he is older than are usual signings, so no real resale value for Ashley.
    I personally would much rather use the money on Benteke who is younger & more the type of striker i think we need.

• ochytoon

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

@beermonkey
    Perhaps you’re right. Maybe we would have held onto some of those players had we finished 6th/7th that season and we could have built from there.

I think Pochettino is gone within 18 months unless Lamela and Soldado suddenly become world beaters. I just don’t think Tottenham have that good a team, they just have a bucket load of players. Lloris is obviously world class but at the back they have a poor mans David Luiz in the shape of Vertonghen and I don’t really rate their fullbacks. Their midfield, bar Erikssen, is painfully average and I think they would do well to ship out the likes of Chadli, Sandro, Paulinho etc. Up front they have Adebayor who only remembers how to play football when he feels like it and a complete crock in Soldado. I think he’s got a much harder task on his hands than he did at Southampton.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United are all above his team so they can count out Champions League, and I would say ourselves and Everton are on their level now. In all honesty I can see them coming 7th or 8th.

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM

No means No
    I hope NOT !!
    after all his actions in the last two years .

• beermonkey

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM

ochytoon

they spent all that cash last year and they have had the same problem for ages bad defence its cost over the last few years and yet they still have not invested in it

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Just think Remy Vlaar PEA outlay 20-23 million that would take us to the next level ie pushing for a top 6 finish various options and systems with quality on the bench – will never happen but I can dream !

• Toonfan8

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Benteke is my first choice, as he is real beast, he would add presence, power, speed and everythink we lacked after Ba departure, but he is younger and a lot quicker than Ba…
    Remy is second choice, as he is quick and very smart in his movement. Not such powerful as Benteke, but smarter in finding positions and trickier…
    Lacazette is third choice as he is quick and tricky, but not that clinical at finishing as Remy and not that powerful and big like Benteke….
    Bony I think is unrealistic, as his agents said we didnt want him last season and now he cost a lot more…
    PEA—his situation in Dortmund was just classic paper talk, he had good first season there, scored some goals, but if availible, he would be my first choice…but why he would choose us from Dortmund where is Champions league
    Lukaku—I think Mourinho doesnt really want to sell him, he will give him this season.They only bring Diego Costa, who is unproven here, remember Shevchenko.They have out of form Torres and I forgot old Drogba is there. For me Lukaku has quality to became first choice there…

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Without a striker of his quality, this season and probably the next, will be a washout. If we get a quality finisher, it puts us slightly ahead of we here we were at the start of last season. Which you’d think we’d need to do each year to keep our best players and progress. But Ashley has shown that he’ll stick to his transfer policy even when it appears and has been shown to be a false economy.

I’d rather not have him, but we need someone like him, at a minimum.

• Toonfan8

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:07 AM

BlaydonToon
    PEA alone would cost 20, that 7M was just bullshit…

• shearerclass09

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I don’t get the people who have a problem with the lad, When he was here he played well, He has no ties to any English clubs so why not go where the money is but when he’s playing for who ever he does the job, Do you really believe any of our lads bleed for the badge like they used to, grow up its a money game now, If you only want players who love the club like us then we would be playing and be pretty sh#t

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Blaydon

Your selections are unrealistic.

If Vlaar goes, it will be to Man Utd.

PEA scored twice in the first 10 mins. in Dortmunds friendly yesterday. If they had any intention if selling him, he woukdnt gave started

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Would not pay 20m for Pea but would be a great addition imagine a front 3 Remy SDJ PEA loads of pace and the intelligence of SDJ would cause most teams problems

• shearerclass09

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Ex a lot of teams play the players they want to get rid of so there price goes up, But trust me he wont be comming here but will leave man u

• Toonfan8

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:14 AM

i would love them here but I think PEA is really unrealistic…Remy on the other hand could be here now, I want him here, because he will give something we are lacking now

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I know reality is we will never sign him just a pipe dream ! We certainly need a striker and another CB I am a realist

• Toonfan8

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM

but I like Pérez and Armstrong, they have big future here

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Guys

So far this window, we have replaced like for like with minimum expended.

However, there are still several players on our books who are unwanted and high earners which Ashley will want removed from thr wage bill before he gives the go ahead for any further investment.

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Surely when you are earning that much, it shouldn’t just be about money though. The quality of the club and fans and how much you’re needed and wanted should play a significant role. If Newcastle put together a fair package, and he’s consistently saying I’ll go where I get the best deal, which I’d prefer to be elsewhere, then it leaves you a bit flat as a fan looking on. Much prefer Lacazette, but even so at 8 or 9 million and 80 000 a week and considering the position we are in, he’s worth it.

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Expat if Vlaar goes to united and they get Hummels not much pace there I think they are very similar players and they need a RB too

• ochytoon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Really don’t understand this sudden fascination with Vlaar that a lot of clubs seem to be having. Sure he’s a decent centre half but he’s no one to be drooling over.

• shearerclass09

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Jimmysmith what I,m saying is I would pay to play for the toon and break my legs if need be, But if two french teams came in for me one playing champions league and offering me a lot more money with a world wide bigger fan base and one team that finished 10th I know where I would go, do you? And by the way I love this club just think outside the toon what would you do?? And his buy out clause is only for champions league clubs we would have to pay full whack

• beermonkey

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM

ochytoon

cos he had a good world cup

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Blaydon

I agree that we need a quality CB and CF but history with Ashley shows that there isnt a cat in hells chance of signing 2 of the 3 players you named as their prices would be considered out of his spending range.

Remy could be a possibility but having turned us down twice, I wouldnt expect Ashley to go back in for him unless QPR and the player himself were desperate enough to lower their demands.

That is realism mate

• ochytoon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM

@beermonkey
    I suppose so. He’s not good enough to start for any top 8 team in my opinion.

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Blaydon

I believe Dortmund turned down Uniteds offer. They might consider Vlaar their next option especially when you consider Van Gaal played him in every game of the WC and he already had a season experience in the PL under his belt

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Wages off the books – Shola, Remy, Marv, Gosling, DeJong, Debuchey, Cabaye.

Wages on the books – Perez, Cabella, Jaanmat, Rivierre, Abeid, DeJong, Colback.

Have I missed anyone.

I feel as though we have likely reduced the wage bill as things stand and should be able to sign a top forward before the necessity to sell.

Getting Jonas, Benny, and Obertan off the books would be a big boost to our fortunes though, I agree.

• beermonkey

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM

ochytoon

not been that good for villa i wouldn’t want him i think there is better out there
    but until mbiwa goes nothing is going to happen with our defence
    we really need to be investing in new pairing for the back 1 that we can have for a couple of years before we start to sell them

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Shearerclass

The fee QPR now get for him is now dependant on a number of factors which possibly lie heavily now in him leaving for a vastly reduced fee

• shearerclass09

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Yeah I know Ex but we cant get him for 8,5 mill buy out, I think they would ask for round 11 mill if no one is willing to match the buy out clause in the top four, I think dirty Harry would waiste there money and hold on to him for a season if they dont get top dollar

• AmeriToon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Blaydon Toon
    are you crazy man?
    Vlaar was one of the fastest players at the world cup!!
    he beat eden hazard in a race and he’s built like a tank

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Yeah, he’s perfectly entitled to look after himself, as he clearly does. I’m just saying after twice somewhat spurning us, I’d prefer someone a little less about himself and who has a little more buy in to the project. I think Remy is in a position to be that player, but has twice chosen not to be. But, as Ive said, we need someone of his quality.

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Jimmy

A few kids left as well including Tavernier, Newton, Richardson and Mitchell. Minimal salary savings but savings all the same.

The thing we dont know is how much have we spent on agents and sign on fees

• ochytoon

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM

@beermonkey
    Yeah I would really like us to invest in a quality young centre back as well as an established one so we can build for the future

• beermonkey

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM

ochytoon

i think we have a couple in good and satka but we need them to start coming through

i hope satka plays some part against Malaga and shalke the same for Aarons and Armstrong it will give us a better indication of how far away they are

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM

If QPR wouldnt sell to anyone outside the top 4 for 8 mill, then surely they’d be happy enough the deal is off and to take him back. I don’t think that’s the case having agreed to let him go and apparently being upset it’s fallen through. An offer of 8 mill would surely get him if he were willing to come. Our money is as good as anyone else’s and its cash up front.

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Shearerclass

I think it is pretty certain QPR and Remy will part. They have far too many players on their books, desperately need to reduce their wage bill and are in serious danger of being heavily fined for breaching FFP rulings.

They have just spent 8 million on Caulker and are spparently trying to sign Etoo.

I think their goose is cooked mate and Remy knows it. I think we could get him too because QPR will be desperate for money and we can pay the lot up front.

All depends if Ashley is prepared to forgive.

• shearerclass09

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:51 AM

I hope you guys are right I for one would love remy signed here, But just hate the way qpr do there business and more so dirty harry I think they would take the fine on the chin more money than sense HWTL Dos any one now the extend of siem’s injury? and watching the the friendly’s, I really hope to see more of aaron that boy along with armstrong could step up both looked sharp

• swemag

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:08 AM

With Remy in the team and de Jong and Cabella fit all season we will finish top 5.

• lesh

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:11 AM

expatmag…. QPR like Citeh and PSG may get a fine and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Liverpool receiving a slap either.

Their financial sufficiency was questionable last year and ok, they’ve sold Suarez for £75m, but Rogers spending as though he had a bottomless pot.

They’re only just qualified for the ECL but all of that revenue won’t kick in until 2015/16’s accounts. So, balancing their books’ll be a bit tricky.

(Aplogies for the above tripe but, well……)