Frenchman’s Temperament And Character Impresses Pardew

We had hoped that Newcastle United defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa would be able to get a chance in the coming season, to show what he can do at Newcastle, and it seems that the character and fight of the former Montpellier captain in pre-season has impressed manager Alan Pardew.

Mapou Yanga Mbiwa +Sheffield+Wednesday+v+Newcastle+buKuX89dsGsl

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa at Sheffield Wednesday

There’s a good report in the Chronicle, that Alan Pardew is now having second thoughts after Yanga-Mbiwa has played in nearly all of Newcastle’s games in pre-season and has looked a good player.

In the last eighteen months, Mapou has played well, very well, and poor and very poor for Newcastle – so he’s been struggling with his consistency.

But that’s a common trait when you start to play in a league as good as the Premier League, and even Mathieu Debuchy had some poor games for the Magpies while he was adjusting his game.

French clubs Lens, Bordeaux and Marseille were all interested in taking the defender, who still has a very good name in France, but his wages were a problem.

Mapou’s attitude in pre-season has been outstanding, and he seems determined to show Pardew that he is good enough to make it in the Premier League, and he has played more minutes in pre-season than any other player at Newcastle.

What we like most about Mapou is his versatility in being able to play in any one of the back four positions, but we’ve always thought his mediocre heading ability, make him a better full-back than a center-back.

Mapou was also busy in the summer getting himself fit, and he came back for pre-season in super-fit condition, and that has shown in both his training and the first team games he has played so far in pre-season.

We are still hoping that Mapou will be able to make it on Tyneside – and have a good career at Newcastle.

Time will tell.

Below are our three social media sites:

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Ciaran

at least the club have acted
    windows not shut yet so we will see if we improve

jazzy

googled him to see where he played top link led me to this headline

Martin Odegaard: The £12million 15-year-old sensation from Norway eyed up by Real Madrid and Co.. and he’s already trained with Manchester United and Bayern Munich

lets hope if he has impressed pards he will play at centre back a bit more often cos he aint arf shaky at rightback

• Sliema

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Mbiwa really does not deserve the criticism he gets. He was dropped mercilessly on his one good run of form.

He’s our best CB by miles.

• Sliema

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I hope our business is not complete. But I’m afraid it is. 🙁

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM

ED im not being funny mate but I thought he was Poor over in new Zealand and hasn’t really given me any reason to champion him to stay. Apart from the fact that the rest of the Cb’s are pretty pants to say the least

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Sliema
    I don’t believe it is mate.Still 4 week left yet. lets keep the faith lol

Beermonkey

There’s no way we gonna pay that sort of money out, So another one bite the dust

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM

jazzy

were not even on his radar he is just making his mind up of which of the top clubs does he fancy Bayern and man u have prob a better record bringing kids through than Madrid, good luck to the kid

• jimmysmith

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Mbiwa has weaknesses he can overcome, and of course needs to, such is the uncompromising nature of the league. I think in those games he was desperately bad, he had simply lost all confidence and that was reflected in some terrible decision making. Games and experience can fix that. Heading similarly can be worked on in games and training, and has much to do with confidence and sheer will to get a head on the ball. The best header I ever saw was a fullback called Paul Ontong in the old National League in Australia. He was five foot five inches tall and I never saw him once beaten in the air, often against much bigger opponents, such was his timing and pure determination to compete, and Mbiwa is athletic enough to get a challenge in on anyone.

The problem for Pardew is weighing up whether they can risk him as he is.

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Beermonkey

Ya never know mate,Perez was wanted by some big teams and chose us. Stranger thing have happened lol

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Jimmysmith

As I see it at the moment mate he’s more of a liability than an asset to the squad

• Ciaran

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

If M’biwa is a liability then I dread to think what that overrated piece of garbage Steven Taylor is…

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce We understand that Lee Charnley met with #QPR officials,Loic Remy, and his agent today. Talks stalled over players wage demands #NUFC

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

jazzy

his fee was just over a mill we wanted him
    i am sure we want that kid but at 12 mill we aint even in the running

12milll could get us a decent cb

• jimmysmith

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yeah, if he does get another chance he can’t self destruct as he has in the past. Not at this level, for this club. I think last season was a nightmare that couldn’t end soon enough for him and he’s had the off season to pull himself together. But I doubt he’d still be here had a reasonable offer come in, so I think he’s on notice.

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Ruddy

That’s what I said on an earlier post. Mapou has done nothing pr season to warrant a starting slot in the first team for me bud. Again I point out that his positional sense is all over the place.
    The guy is rash in the challenge and was lucky not to get sent off in the second game while on tour. For me he just makes to many mistakes in a game and relies solely on his pace to get him out of the Sh@t

• keeganjr

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM

The norwegian new starlet (like no one before in this country) will we never get.. some big club will go in for him.. hes so good and is only 15 years old.. would love him at newcastle,but i think we will ruin him

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM

jazzy

didn’t see him wed night not sure where he played but on the nz tour he looked shaky at rb but then he is left footed oh and not really a rightback
    given the standard of opposition should have looked better

maybe this is pards way of putting an arm round him calming him down
    i hope he can recapture his form when he was at his last club

• keeganjr

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Martin Ødegaard from stromsgodset is a little beast..

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Beermonkey

Agree mate he looked awesome at Montpellier and was chuffed to bits when we brought him aboard .But for whatever reason has struggled to adapt to the Pl.
    Mapou cost a fair bit of wedge and as of yet has failed to live up to the price tag. I hope he comes good mate cos boy do we need a colossus at the heart of our back four

• Ciaran

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Jazzy

What I am in fact saying is that if you consider M’biwa to be overrated, then you must really hate Steven Taylor.

• jimmysmith

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I wonder if this talk of taking Remy was ever legit. I don’t think we’ve ever paid full whack for a player since the honeymoon period with Ashley ended so quickly and abruptly. I though he might make the exception to complete what is shaping up as a very competitive squad, but apparently not.

• jimmysmith

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Taylor is at least 10 kg too heavy. I suppose that’s just his natural weight, but he’s far too slow off the mark as a result. Not a player you see improving because he relies so much on the physical side of the game. Compare someone like Skirtel to Tubby.

• jazzyp

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Ruddy
    Not at all pal. hate’s a strong word to muster for any player plying there trade. Mr Taylor has been a staunch servant of the club as was Strolla. Never been outstanding or world class but done a job when asked.
    My debate over MYM is that he has the potential to be a top player for his skillset , But to me lacks the ability or should I say mind set to convert that on the football field

• beermonkey

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM

jazzy

could be down to a homesickness. cabaye after his first season came back with a bit of depression after international duty and he was poor till he had some time off after an injury
    so it can have an effect maybe the summer off he will come back with his head in the right place

• Sliema

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM

jazzyp

Mate. There’s only do much credit you deserve for being a loyal servant to the club. Strolla was sh!te, Saylor is even worse! He’s a really poor man’s John Terry. I appreciate he’s a local lad and all that, but so am I, does that mean I deserve a starting birth? No, it doesn’t.

He’s cack mate. MYM could he someone. Saylor’s chance passed long ago. Get over it and nice on. I don’t give a toss If he was born on the Tyne or the Nile, he’s useless, he’s garbage, he cost us a Uefa Cup final a few years back too to add insult,

• Sliema

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM

so*
    be*
    move*

Bloody autocorrect.

• santonthenewmaldini

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Mbiwas last game at centre back was against Hull when we pumped them 4 – 1 and he kept Shane Long in his back pocket in that 2nd half he was solid as a rock mopping up danger and before that he played against Spurs and Chelsea in clean sheets !

The games he looked suspect were at full back which he is not ! The game against Everton was his worst but Colo was at fault for goals and Arfa / Santon were terrible as well which resulted in us getting dominated down that side

The games where we have shipped the most goals have usually involved Taylor at the back ….. enough said !!

MYM needs a go again with Colo and the new signings and we need to play a high line and dominate teams

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM

@santonwouldntlacemaldinisbotts 🙂 thats the problem. His best game was against shane long. Im not looking for best ch’s in world as much as id love it. I wa.t a solid consistent defender beside collo Afor just once.

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Boots lol

• gaz 44

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Well after reading Pardarses comments bout remy today it looks like we agreed a deal he turned us down – hope he gets raped by wolves lol (jk) but in hindsight glad I said never wanted him hope we get this argie n he’s the next marradona

• jimmysmith

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Reasonable chance Shola will figure for Newcastle this season. Love Shola, but bloody ‘ell!

• Blofal

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Facundo Ferreyra loan deal reportedly done. I’m quite impressed.

• expatmag

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I think MYM has taken longer to adjust to the PL than expected but there is no doubting he has quality in my opinion.

This season will be a watershed season for him. If he fails, he will be gone by january or next summer.

I actually like the look of our forward set up. This new guy seems to have a bit of everything about him and allied to the pace and guile of Cabella, De Jong, Petez and Riviere, there is the potential for lots of goals evenly spead around all the forwards.

I wouldnt write off Cisse yet eithet. Give him the service and he could find his form again.

I also like the look of Colback too. He has a good engine and a superb left foot. He will also do well this season

• expatmag

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Blofal

Yes. He looks quite impressive. Two good feet. A bit of pace and decent in the air.

What I liked about his goals on you tube was how he took his shots early

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:58 AM

@Blofall ha ha looks like it alright nice of u to post it . About 14 hrs late but. Has ur watch been pardewed.

• expatmag

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:04 AM

Boom boom

Blofal and myself live in Australia and we are 9 hours ahead of the UK.

• BuckLuck

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Good morning! Nice to see others mention Martin Ødegaard as well on this blog. I’ve written about him two times on here. I have never seen this kind of mature talent in a 15 year old kid and he will without a doubt be a world class player some day. He is totaly dominating opposition with far more experience and knowledge. He’s a natural borne!
    Since then my 13 year old son has stumbled upon him at Norway Cup(he was a spectator/guest) and he went far to indicate he is a Liverpool supporter I’m afraid 😉

This is the kind of talent we must try to get even though our chances are slim though. Objectively he should of course go to Ajax where he will get the most out of his potential, but as other have mentioned as well… we supposedly snapped up Perez even though Real Madrid and other top clubs around Europe wanted him. Give it a try at least as this is the kind of talent we always need to try to get in!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Sliema,
    I don’t recall being in a UEFA cup semi final recently can you tell us when it was that STaylor cost us this place in the final, as for him being sh!te, he was U21 captain with a very promosing future, my gripe with him is his inability to play more than 15 games a season, if he played more he’d get a chance to eradicate his blant acts of stupidity.

• jazzyp

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Sliema

I suggest ya read my posts in a more articulate manner my friend.
    ” get over what”
    I simply stated that Saylor has done a job over the years and never implied he should be picked over mapou. I also stated earlier that Mapou has got more of a chance to shine because of the poor quality of choice we have at the heart of our defence.
    So please read carefully someone’s post dude before attacking them

• expatmag

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:33 AM

JFA

It never ceases to amaze me how some so called supporters enjoy slating our own.

Maybe some should remember Steven Taylor was good enough to be included in the England squad less than 2 years ago.

• dannitoon

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Remember colo 1st season.. remember that home game v Liverpool 1-5. … He had the turning circle of an oil tanker… MYM I believe will come good… he’s only young and should be given a chance… We got to stop picking these kids up and ruining them…