The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Frenchman’s Temperament And Character Impresses Pardew

11:20 pm, Friday, August 1st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

We had hoped that Newcastle United defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa would be able to get a chance in the coming season, to show what he can do at Newcastle, and it seems that the character and fight of the former Montpellier captain in pre-season has impressed manager Alan Pardew.

Mapou Yanga Mbiwa +Sheffield+Wednesday+v+Newcastle+buKuX89dsGsl

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa at Sheffield Wednesday

There’s a good report in the Chronicle, that Alan Pardew is now having second thoughts after Yanga-Mbiwa has played in nearly all of Newcastle’s games in pre-season and has looked a good player.

In the last eighteen months, Mapou has played well, very well, and poor and very poor for Newcastle – so he’s been struggling with his consistency.

But that’s a common trait when you start to play in a league as good as the Premier League, and even Mathieu Debuchy had some poor games for the Magpies while he was adjusting his game.

French clubs Lens, Bordeaux and Marseille were all interested in taking the defender, who still has a very good name in France, but his wages were a problem.

Mapou’s attitude in pre-season has been outstanding, and he seems determined to show Pardew that he is good enough to make it in the Premier League, and he has played more minutes in pre-season than any other player at Newcastle.

What we like most about Mapou is his versatility in being able to play in any one of the back four positions, but we’ve always thought his mediocre heading ability, make him a better full-back than a center-back.

Mapou was also busy in the summer getting himself fit, and he came back for pre-season in super-fit condition, and that has shown in both his training and the first team games he has played so far in pre-season.

We are still hoping that Mapou will be able to make it on Tyneside – and have a good career at Newcastle.

Time will tell.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Coaching · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Ciaran

at least the club have acted
    windows not shut yet so we will see if we improve

jazzy

googled him to see where he played top link led me to this headline

Martin Odegaard: The £12million 15-year-old sensation from Norway eyed up by Real Madrid and Co.. and he’s already trained with Manchester United and Bayern Munich

lets hope if he has impressed pards he will play at centre back a bit more often cos he aint arf shaky at rightback

• 2 Sliema // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Mbiwa really does not deserve the criticism he gets. He was dropped mercilessly on his one good run of form.

He’s our best CB by miles.

• 3 Sliema // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I hope our business is not complete. But I’m afraid it is. 🙁

• 4 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM

ED im not being funny mate but I thought he was Poor over in new Zealand and hasn’t really given me any reason to champion him to stay. Apart from the fact that the rest of the Cb’s are pretty pants to say the least

• 5 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Sliema
    I don’t believe it is mate.Still 4 week left yet. lets keep the faith lol

Beermonkey

There’s no way we gonna pay that sort of money out, So another one bite the dust

• 6 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM

jazzy

were not even on his radar he is just making his mind up of which of the top clubs does he fancy Bayern and man u have prob a better record bringing kids through than Madrid, good luck to the kid

• 7 jimmysmith // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Mbiwa has weaknesses he can overcome, and of course needs to, such is the uncompromising nature of the league. I think in those games he was desperately bad, he had simply lost all confidence and that was reflected in some terrible decision making. Games and experience can fix that. Heading similarly can be worked on in games and training, and has much to do with confidence and sheer will to get a head on the ball. The best header I ever saw was a fullback called Paul Ontong in the old National League in Australia. He was five foot five inches tall and I never saw him once beaten in the air, often against much bigger opponents, such was his timing and pure determination to compete, and Mbiwa is athletic enough to get a challenge in on anyone.

The problem for Pardew is weighing up whether they can risk him as he is.

• 8 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Beermonkey

Ya never know mate,Perez was wanted by some big teams and chose us. Stranger thing have happened lol

• 9 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Jimmysmith

As I see it at the moment mate he’s more of a liability than an asset to the squad

• 10 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

If M’biwa is a liability then I dread to think what that overrated piece of garbage Steven Taylor is…

• 11 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce We understand that Lee Charnley met with #QPR officials,Loic Remy, and his agent today. Talks stalled over players wage demands #NUFC

• 12 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

jazzy

his fee was just over a mill we wanted him
    i am sure we want that kid but at 12 mill we aint even in the running

12milll could get us a decent cb

• 13 jimmysmith // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yeah, if he does get another chance he can’t self destruct as he has in the past. Not at this level, for this club. I think last season was a nightmare that couldn’t end soon enough for him and he’s had the off season to pull himself together. But I doubt he’d still be here had a reasonable offer come in, so I think he’s on notice.

• 14 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Ruddy

That’s what I said on an earlier post. Mapou has done nothing pr season to warrant a starting slot in the first team for me bud. Again I point out that his positional sense is all over the place.
    The guy is rash in the challenge and was lucky not to get sent off in the second game while on tour. For me he just makes to many mistakes in a game and relies solely on his pace to get him out of the Sh@t

• 15 keeganjr // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM

The norwegian new starlet (like no one before in this country) will we never get.. some big club will go in for him.. hes so good and is only 15 years old.. would love him at newcastle,but i think we will ruin him

• 16 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM

jazzy

didn’t see him wed night not sure where he played but on the nz tour he looked shaky at rb but then he is left footed oh and not really a rightback
    given the standard of opposition should have looked better

maybe this is pards way of putting an arm round him calming him down
    i hope he can recapture his form when he was at his last club

• 17 keeganjr // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Martin Ødegaard from stromsgodset is a little beast..

• 18 jazzyp // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Beermonkey

Agree mate he looked awesome at Montpellier and was chuffed to bits when we brought him aboard .But for whatever reason has struggled to adapt to the Pl.
    Mapou cost a fair bit of wedge and as of yet has failed to live up to the price tag. I hope he comes good mate cos boy do we need a colossus at the heart of our back four

• 19 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Jazzy

What I am in fact saying is that if you consider M’biwa to be overrated, then you must really hate Steven Taylor.

• 20 jimmysmith // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I wonder if this talk of taking Remy was ever legit. I don’t think we’ve ever paid full whack for a player since the honeymoon period with Ashley ended so quickly and abruptly. I though he might make the exception to complete what is shaping up as a very competitive squad, but apparently not.

• 21 jimmysmith // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Taylor is at least 10 kg too heavy. I suppose that’s just his natural weight, but he’s far too slow off the mark as a result. Not a player you see improving because he relies so much on the physical side of the game. Compare someone like Skirtel to Tubby.

• 22 jazzyp // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Ruddy
    Not at all pal. hate’s a strong word to muster for any player plying there trade. Mr Taylor has been a staunch servant of the club as was Strolla. Never been outstanding or world class but done a job when asked.
    My debate over MYM is that he has the potential to be a top player for his skillset , But to me lacks the ability or should I say mind set to convert that on the football field

• 23 beermonkey // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM

jazzy

could be down to a homesickness. cabaye after his first season came back with a bit of depression after international duty and he was poor till he had some time off after an injury
    so it can have an effect maybe the summer off he will come back with his head in the right place

• 24 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM

jazzyp

Mate. There’s only do much credit you deserve for being a loyal servant to the club. Strolla was sh!te, Saylor is even worse! He’s a really poor man’s John Terry. I appreciate he’s a local lad and all that, but so am I, does that mean I deserve a starting birth? No, it doesn’t.

He’s cack mate. MYM could he someone. Saylor’s chance passed long ago. Get over it and nice on. I don’t give a toss If he was born on the Tyne or the Nile, he’s useless, he’s garbage, he cost us a Uefa Cup final a few years back too to add insult,

• 25 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM

so*
    be*
    move*

Bloody autocorrect.

• 26 santonthenewmaldini // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Mbiwas last game at centre back was against Hull when we pumped them 4 – 1 and he kept Shane Long in his back pocket in that 2nd half he was solid as a rock mopping up danger and before that he played against Spurs and Chelsea in clean sheets !

The games he looked suspect were at full back which he is not ! The game against Everton was his worst but Colo was at fault for goals and Arfa / Santon were terrible as well which resulted in us getting dominated down that side

The games where we have shipped the most goals have usually involved Taylor at the back ….. enough said !!

MYM needs a go again with Colo and the new signings and we need to play a high line and dominate teams

• 27 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM

@santonwouldntlacemaldinisbotts 🙂 thats the problem. His best game was against shane long. Im not looking for best ch’s in world as much as id love it. I wa.t a solid consistent defender beside collo Afor just once.

• 28 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Boots lol

• 29 gaz 44 // Aug 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Well after reading Pardarses comments bout remy today it looks like we agreed a deal he turned us down – hope he gets raped by wolves lol (jk) but in hindsight glad I said never wanted him hope we get this argie n he’s the next marradona

• 30 jimmysmith // Aug 2, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Reasonable chance Shola will figure for Newcastle this season. Love Shola, but bloody ‘ell!

• 31 Blofal // Aug 2, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Facundo Ferreyra loan deal reportedly done. I’m quite impressed.

• 32 expatmag // Aug 2, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I think MYM has taken longer to adjust to the PL than expected but there is no doubting he has quality in my opinion.

This season will be a watershed season for him. If he fails, he will be gone by january or next summer.

I actually like the look of our forward set up. This new guy seems to have a bit of everything about him and allied to the pace and guile of Cabella, De Jong, Petez and Riviere, there is the potential for lots of goals evenly spead around all the forwards.

I wouldnt write off Cisse yet eithet. Give him the service and he could find his form again.

I also like the look of Colback too. He has a good engine and a superb left foot. He will also do well this season

• 33 expatmag // Aug 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Blofal

Yes. He looks quite impressive. Two good feet. A bit of pace and decent in the air.

What I liked about his goals on you tube was how he took his shots early

• 34 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Aug 2, 2014 at 2:58 AM

@Blofall ha ha looks like it alright nice of u to post it . About 14 hrs late but. Has ur watch been pardewed.

• 35 expatmag // Aug 2, 2014 at 3:04 AM

Boom boom

Blofal and myself live in Australia and we are 9 hours ahead of the UK.

• 36 BuckLuck // Aug 2, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Good morning! Nice to see others mention Martin Ødegaard as well on this blog. I’ve written about him two times on here. I have never seen this kind of mature talent in a 15 year old kid and he will without a doubt be a world class player some day. He is totaly dominating opposition with far more experience and knowledge. He’s a natural borne!
    Since then my 13 year old son has stumbled upon him at Norway Cup(he was a spectator/guest) and he went far to indicate he is a Liverpool supporter I’m afraid 😉

This is the kind of talent we must try to get even though our chances are slim though. Objectively he should of course go to Ajax where he will get the most out of his potential, but as other have mentioned as well… we supposedly snapped up Perez even though Real Madrid and other top clubs around Europe wanted him. Give it a try at least as this is the kind of talent we always need to try to get in!

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Aug 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Sliema,
    I don’t recall being in a UEFA cup semi final recently can you tell us when it was that STaylor cost us this place in the final, as for him being sh!te, he was U21 captain with a very promosing future, my gripe with him is his inability to play more than 15 games a season, if he played more he’d get a chance to eradicate his blant acts of stupidity.

• 38 jazzyp // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Sliema

I suggest ya read my posts in a more articulate manner my friend.
    ” get over what”
    I simply stated that Saylor has done a job over the years and never implied he should be picked over mapou. I also stated earlier that Mapou has got more of a chance to shine because of the poor quality of choice we have at the heart of our defence.
    So please read carefully someone’s post dude before attacking them

• 39 expatmag // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:33 AM

JFA

It never ceases to amaze me how some so called supporters enjoy slating our own.

Maybe some should remember Steven Taylor was good enough to be included in the England squad less than 2 years ago.

• 40 dannitoon // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Remember colo 1st season.. remember that home game v Liverpool 1-5. … He had the turning circle of an oil tanker… MYM I believe will come good… he’s only young and should be given a chance… We got to stop picking these kids up and ruining them…

• 41 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM

jazzyp

I was completely wasted when I wrote that last night bud. My apologies.

• 42 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Jail

Again, I was completely wasted lol.

I meant to say our place in a Semi-final, you knew exactly what I meant.

• 43 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Expat

So I’m a “so called supporter” for voicing my opinion? That’s pathetic.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Sliema,
    When using points to slate someone you have to get facts straight or where do you draw the line, me personally place the blame on Mike Ashley for allowing us to go in to that particular campaign with only three reasonably fit CB’s before buying and introducing MYM in to a team seriously short of confidence.

• 45 jimmysmith // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Benny just needs to hit his fitness targets, play to instruction, make his contribution, which of course can be significant. and so get his lucrative move as a free agent at the end of the season, if that’s what he wants. Just be a grown up and a professional, ya love the Toon so much.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Aug 2, 2014 at 7:56 AM

So after the Remy carry on which makes it look as though we were trying to spend a few quid and bring in the promised CF, does anyone think that the spending is done now unless Sissokho or Tiote is sold.

• 47 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Jail

What are you taking about? Ashley? MYM? You must have a short memory pal. I was talking about Saylor’s shocking performance in this game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4437539.stm

• 48 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Jail

I agree, spending us finito now, infact we all pretty much knew it was when Janmaat signed, but we hoped that we’d buy Dier, maybe Remy…

Spending is over. I don’t think we’ll lose anyone mind.

• 49 Slank // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Jail @ 46

I disagree.

I think there is more to come.

I do think that the club is still after a striker. Personally I would go for Connor Wickham who would have no problem fitting into the team and area.

I also think that the club are still keen on Grenier but whether a purchase is possible remains to be seen.

I don’t think the club are after a centre back. Pardew appears happy with MYM and with Good and Satka.

Also I don’t see Sissoko or Tiote being sold. The only senior players to leave are Ben Arfa and Obertan but Ben Arfa could sit out the final year of his contract as is his right. Obertan could move if a buyer is desperate enough.

I believe some of the second eleven (Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson, Dummitt, Campbell etc) may be sold or go out on loan.

• 50 Markaccus // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM

When mym came here, i dont honestly think he himself knew what his best position was. With that in mind, i wonder if he has made the choice to train himself this summer into a full back. He has had a couple of really good games so far this pre season. Just a thought

• 51 expatmag // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Sliema

Nothing pathetic about it mate.

If you choose to slag off a loyal servant to the club who has achieved international recognition and has a reputation for putting his body on the line for the club he loves, you deserve every criticism coming.

I dont remember seeing you achieving any similar standard in the game.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Sliema,
    That was nine years ago I watched the game in a pub in Croydon, STaylor must have been 18/19 years old then and the whole team collapsed if I remember, the report you highlighted actually mentions a mistake by Stephen Carrr which seals our fate.

• 53 Sliema // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Markaccus

I hope you’re wrong about MYM, and tbh I think you are anyway lol. He’s more of a CB, he’s quick, but not agile enough to play FB. He gets beaten in 1-on-1s a lot too. I don’t think we need another fullback. We certainly need a CB more!!!

• 54 jazzyp // Aug 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Markaccus
    Morning bud
    Which games has he played well in mate pre season. The new zealand tour, he was poor to say the least and only got a 5 out of 10 against wednesday.

• 55 MassiveG // Aug 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Woulda been nice to have one marquis proven CF signing although we must be covered up front by Ferrera, Rivière, Cisse, Perez, de Jong, Armstrong, Campbell, Gouffran….all of whom could be amazing or rubbish for us. Apart from Gouffran who will be solid and Campbell who will be average…

previous post: Future Unclear For Newcastle Midfield Target

next post: Is There Still Hope For This Frenchman At Newcastle?