Hamstring Injuries Could Be Concern For New Signing

New signing Siem de Jong hopes to be stronger than he was last season, when he missed a lot of playing time at Ajax, and at one point in the season he had a collapsed lung.

Newcastle United Training Session

Siem de Jong – in training

After playing 47 times in the previous season for Ajax with 16 goals, last session he played only 28 games with 9 goals, and he’s hoping his injury worries are behind him.

It will be a good challenge for our new Head of Fitness Dave Billows, and we are hoping Siem can participate in one of the games over the weekend in Germany.

The last time we saw de Jong was for 30 minutes of Newcastle’s second game of the New Zealand trip, against Wellington Phoenix, before he departed with a toe injury.

This is what Siem has said in the Shields Gazette today:

“It was quite scary.” “It happened at the beginning of the season, and after the collapsed lung I had to be in bed for a couple of weeks.”

“Looking back afterwards,  we didn’t focus enough on my entire body and focused too much on the lung.” “The lung was good after three weeks, and the rest of the body just wasn’t strong enough to play games, and that’s what we forgot a little.”

“During the season I had some other small injuries which was part of not being strong enough.”  “But I think I trained the last half of the year really hard at Ajax, and now I need a good pre-season to build up strength.”

“That’s what I missed a little bit last year, so it’s an important time for me to hopefully be stronger than I was.”

Siem had a number of hamstring problems last season, and that’s a concern because Newcastle players seem to pick up a lot of hamstring problems – for whatever reason.

And former manager Graeme Souness back in 2005 blamed the training pitches at Benton for that malady among Newcastle players.

But at just £6M from Ajax, Siem seems an excellent buy for Newcastle, and his goal-scoring abilities and his leadership should make a big difference to the team next season.

Let’s hope we can keep him fit.

Note: There will be a meeting with Peter Beardsley at the Green in Wardley, Gateshead on Friday 22nd August from 7:00 pm. Tickets are now available priced at approx £25, and that includes a meal, a glass of wine and a talk with Peter – if you’d like a ticket for this event please call the Green at 0191 4950171.

Below are our three social media sites:

• Shot Bru

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I reckon SDJ woulda failed a medical at Liverfool then!!

• Graeme

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Hopefully he will be as fit as a butchers dog by the time the season starts – that is, after all, the whole purpose of the “Pre-season”!!

Getting them fit, improving strength & fitness, Integrating the new players with the rest of the squad. Learning the intricacies of the various tactics Pardew uses etc. OK, I made that last bit up, sorry lol

• Ethiotoon

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

That is why we need Grenier, if he suffer long layoff, we will struggle to create enough chances, as other squad players do not look playmakers.
    Concerning Loic, I think he will be good signing if we get him,he showed as last season he can score goals,no medical problems mentioned so we assume he’ll be fine.if we get loic and Grenier as ED said ,what a season and what a superb window this has been…
    Cannot wait season to start…

• Sheikh MagToon

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

His brother, the supposed striker, scored for PSV last night in Europa League. Typical.
    Siem has calf problem and misses next 3 friendliest at least. Race to get him fit for season now.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I think it’ll be very interesting to see how Siem De Jong does in his first season.

I’ve got no concerns about his ability but sometimes it takes players a season to get upto speed with the new team, team mates, and style of football.

I always remember Gary Speed being poor in his first season at Newcastle, and quality after that.

Siem’s an intelligent player, with great vision and technique, but he’s not terribly quick, so like i say it’ll be interesting to see how he does.

Same applies to all the new signings i suppose. The one who i think will make the quickest transition will be Colback (for obvious reasons).

If we were to sign Remy, then he would also find the groove immediately, i have no doubt.

I think it’s of the major importance that we sign Remy or someone of equal quality now.
    We’ve got the attacking foudations and some quality in and around the striking position but it will make such a difference if we can get a goal threat such as Remy in the side.

• Blofal

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Milner looks available….

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

So is he injured? We have to expect many injuries because we often buy players on the cheap due to their poor injury records. I’d take Milner in a heartbeat, great attitude, tremendous fitness and knows the club and city.

• Taking the Papiss

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I would hope that papiss may find his goal scoring touch again this year. The majority of games he played last year were without cabaye in the team and at a stage where we just couldn’t create chances. I have a feeling he may come good again now once surrounded by cabella de Jong and sissoko. He needs confidence because he obviously has the ability. I just have a feeling he is going to prove himself a top player again this year.

As an aside I haven’t commented on the signings so far this summer. I personally am very happy and genuinely consider us to be one striker short of a brilliant window. He might not be the most exciting addition but I honk colback will help out balance immensely.

I personally see team as follows, unfortunately mbiwa won’t get the nod but I think other than that this will be close:

Krul,

Janmaat, mbiwa, colo, santon,

Colback, tiote,

Sissoko, de Jong, cabella,

Cisse

All those that want grenier, I obviously agree but I think that colback is highly rated by pardew and will play there. With the creativity behind the striker I don’t think he is strictly necessary and colback will make us more solid defensively!

• Graeme

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM

TTVVT – You are right, we do seem to have some decent attacking foundations within the squad now.

The biggest concern has to be the lack of improvement in defence. They were woefull, last season and all we have dodne is swap a fullback. Where is the improvement? Where is the strengthening? Collo, Saylor are going to be the same as last season, except a year older – will they perform at a higher level this season? Most unlikely!!

• geordie157

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I’ll keep saying it, if we don’t sign grenier then go get wijnaldum.

• deeps

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Micah Richards available for £6 million 😀
    Should get him

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

@Graeme

I think the argument Pards would give is that “attack is the best form of defence”.

Look at the stats with a goal scorer in our team and the defensive side improves too.
    This is pretty obvious – a result of the increased caution the opposition need to employ in their side.
    Less pressure on our defense due to their team sitting back more, and soaking up pressure.

Without an attacking threat we are easy to attack, but i can’t see that being the case this season, especially with Remy in the side. That’s why i think Remy or someone of his quality is integral to our alround game.

I can see many more clean sheets and confident denfensive displays when we have an attacking formation that puts the opposition on the back foot rather than vise-versa.

Personally i’d like to see us replacing Taylor in the starting line up. But if we were to sign Remy i wouldnt be overly concerned with the defence as it is.

And if we do pick up a bad injury or feel we are in desperate need for another centre half then perhaps we could get someone in January?

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Sky news Live blog

Lyon playmaker Clement Grenier has denied reports suggesting he missed a training session in an effort to force through a move. Newcastle United continue to be heavily linked with the France international amid rumours that he is growing increasingly unsettled at Stade Gerland.

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Sorry that should be Sky Sports Live Blog

• G

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM

TTVVT @ 5, interesting comments, regarding Gary Speed, it’s funny, but I never had any issue with Speed during his first season, however, a lot of the fans did. I think it was a perculiar season for the toon in general and lot of fans blamed him, simply it seems, for not being Rob Lee! I find it strange that a lot of people singled him out for abuse, whereas I found him quietly efficient that season. Never saw him give the ball away much or do much wrong.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@firebug666

Was reported about 2 days ago that mate.

Grenier says he’s been given a training programme that means some of his time is spent training away from the first team squad.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM

@G

You may be right mate. I just can’t remember that far back as to why i thought he’d been poor though.

After that first season though he was awesome IMO.

Scored goals and was a driving force in the team as he had been at Everton and Leeds before that.

For me i think Siem could have the same influence on us, I just hope it doesnt take a full season of medoicre performances before he turns into a vertuoso.

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM

T.T.V.V.T.

Ok mate, I just seen it for the first time this morning, Still holding out hope we bring him in, but in fairness that hope is dwindling on this one. I think the club are waiting to see who else leaves us first.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

@T.T.V.V.T

Agreed. I think we may move for Grenier quickly, if Sissokko hints that he wants out or we recieve an offer for him, but other than that i think we’ll just leave it.

Earlier in the window i was desperate for us to sign Grenier but now we have Cabella and De Jong im more realisitc about the whole thing.

Striker is the “be all and end all” the the minute. Literally.

• Markaccus

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM

T.T.V.V.T

Agreeing with yourself??

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM

T.T.V.V.T

We may go for him in the January window if we suffer with injuries and or suspensions. Other than that I agree with you about leaving him.

Don’t worry I agree with myself all the time too! just drives our lass mad 😀

• nut meg

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM

T.T.V.V.T. @ 5
    Gary Speed was played out wide left in his first season & yes he was poor.He really showed what he was about when he went to his proper position.He was a fine player for us after that.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM

@Markaccus

Was meant to paste Firebug666

• Our Toon

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

T.t.v.v.t

Speed was played on the left in his first season

I had to chuckle at you comment below though:

Pards doesn’t know what attack means, sit back invite pressure and then try to counter is his method, that’s why we get some serious hidings and very rarely do we win by more than 1 goal!!

• Wandering Geordie

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Grenier has just stated that he is not interested in a move to us or Arsenal

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I don’t think sissoko will go this window
    he hasn’t reached the standard where we will get the sort of fee we would want so we would be selling him cheap and I cant see that

I think the next player out the door will be tiote next summer he will be 28 and only 2 years left on his deal so I would think he is the next one out the door

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

@Our Toon

haha yeah, i think what i really meant to say was that the Newcastle big wigs would argue they don’t need to strengthen in defence if we are able to strengthen in attack.

In no big fan of Pardew but if has Remy et al at his disposal then the opposition would play more defensively, they’d be doing Pardew’s defensive tactics for him.

• Our Toon

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM

T.t.v.v.t

True mate haha.

Hernandez and Kagawa being linked with moves away from OT, would anyone take a punt on either player? £24m for both apparently

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Newcastle are now 5/6 with sky bet to sign Remy after a fee has been “Reportedly” accepted by QPR. It will all be down to personal terms now.

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

ourtoon

kagawa was class in Germany and got injured early on at man u then in came moyes so he never had a chance but they have so many no10 I can see why there letting him go
    who wouldn’t want Hernandez class striker shame he was only ever super sub for man u but what a striker to have on the bench

• nut meg

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Beermonkey @26
    That’s also how I see it. Tiote will have more value this season so a good chance of him moving on either this window or in January. Sissoko some time in the next 18 months I should imagine.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM

So lots of places stating a fee is agreed with QPR just discussing personal terms with Remy
    Personally for me a fantastic signing if it comes off
    We need a proven goal scorer, he is a proven goal scorer and if it wasn’t for him last season we would of been fighting for survival instead we were pushing Europa until Ashley’s master stroke of a decision to sell Cabs
    The poll seems pretty split on signing him though, why? Are people still hung up over the fact he went to QPR?
    Why? He had no ties to us and no obligation to sign and let’s be honest were we really a better prospect? Fan discontent struggling to get results under fire manager hated owner fans saying he’s not a big enough signing etc
    I’m sure the money helped but I’m not sure why that means we shouldn’t go and get the lad, didn’t seem to struggle with his wages last season!

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM

@firebug666

Quick with that one though pal haha

NICE ONE!

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

@toonarmydownsouth

Agree with what you wrote.

Just wanted to say that most of the time the club loaning the player out will still pay a percentage of their wages.

No idea if this was true with Remy, but in general terms, QPR may well have paid say 10-20% of Remy’s wages last season while he played for us.

• G

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Off subject, Connor Whickham is entereing the last year of his deal and the mackems have told him it’s sign or be sold time. Given how much hype he got on the blog before he signed for them, would anybody else take him now? Personally, I wouldn’t as he doesn’t seem very adaptable, and has failed to hit the heights that were expected of him.

• Blofal

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

TDS I think most people are pissed because not once did he ever show an appreciation or affinity with this club. He doesn’t seem to be a player that appreciates the enormity of playing for 50000 of the worlds most passionate fans every week.

Our other signings although not devoted to the club give the impression of appreciating it. Remy rejected us for QPR and then when on loan had one foot out the door the whole time he was here.

I think you will find that has left a sore spot but it Remy commits and takes the club into his heart then all will be forgiven.

Like them or loath them Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse love it here. That is the passion we need to see.

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM

If true the fee accepted for Remy is only £8 mil same as the Liverfool bit. I hope this is true, as it’s always nice to have a little bit of money tucked away for another player.

CB maybe….Hopefully.

• Sliema

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Firebug

I doubt we’ll get him for £8mil. Obv that was a clause to allow him to join a CL club. Otherwise he’s actually worth a lot more imo.

If I was a QPR fan and they sold him to us for £8mil, I’d be fuming!!! Who can they replace him with for that money? And why would they sell?!

• Ciaran

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Good afternoon all,

I’d imagine the atmosphere of the blog is quite reflective of the atmosphere I have experienced generally – 50% of the fans are looking at these recent signings as a positive step in the right direction, while the other 50% see it as just a repeat of the cyclical nature of bringing players in to the club, showcasing their talents and flogging them for a profit.

I suppose asking people’s views on this is like lobbing a live grenade into the blog, but that’s all part of the fun is it not?

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Blofal
    Didn’t he? I know he was very cautious about commenting on his future beyond the end of the season and how he wanted to play in the CL but he also constantly commented on how great it was playing at SJP in front of 50,000
    Tbh saying we don’t want a proven goal scorer just because he hasn’t brown nosed us seems a bit petty like

T.T.V.V.T.
    Not sure how true it was but at the time it was widely reported we had agreed to pay his full salary
    Just media though so who knows!

Still think there’s work to be done this window, for me we still need non featuring earners like Guti Obertan and HBA off the books, rather have the money re invested instead of paying for players who rightly or wrongly won’t feature
    Use the money to bring in a CB a young attacking midfielder and a young winger along with Remy