The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hamstring Injuries Could Be Concern For New Signing

10:03 am, Friday, August 1st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 98 Comments

New signing Siem de Jong hopes to be stronger than he was last season, when he missed a lot of playing time at Ajax, and at one point in the season he had a collapsed lung.

Newcastle United Training Session

Siem de Jong – in training

After playing 47 times in the previous season for Ajax with 16 goals, last session he played only 28 games with 9 goals, and he’s hoping his injury worries are behind him.

It will be a good challenge for our new Head of Fitness Dave Billows, and we are hoping Siem can participate in one of the games over the weekend in Germany.

The last time we saw de Jong was for 30 minutes of Newcastle’s second game of the New Zealand trip, against Wellington Phoenix, before he departed with a toe injury.

This is what Siem has said in the Shields Gazette today:

“It was quite scary.” “It happened at the beginning of the season, and after the collapsed lung I had to be in bed for a couple of weeks.”

“Looking back afterwards,  we didn’t focus enough on my entire body and focused too much on the lung.” “The lung was good after three weeks, and the rest of the body just wasn’t strong enough to play games, and that’s what we forgot a little.”

“During the season I had some other small injuries which was part of not being strong enough.”  “But I think I trained the last half of the year really hard at Ajax, and now I need a good pre-season to build up strength.”

“That’s what I missed a little bit last year, so it’s an important time for me to hopefully be stronger than I was.”

Siem had a number of hamstring problems last season, and that’s a concern because Newcastle players seem to pick up a lot of hamstring problems – for whatever reason.

And former manager Graeme Souness back in 2005 blamed the training pitches at Benton for that malady among Newcastle players.

But at just £6M from Ajax, Siem seems an excellent buy for Newcastle, and his goal-scoring abilities and his leadership should make a big difference to the team next season.

Let’s hope we can keep him fit.

Note: There will be a meeting with Peter Beardsley at the Green in Wardley, Gateshead on Friday 22nd August from 7:00 pm. Tickets are now available priced at approx £25, and that includes a meal, a glass of wine and a talk with Peter – if you’d like a ticket for this event please call the Green at 0191 4950171.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Fitness · Injuries · Newcastle News · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

98 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shot Bru // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I reckon SDJ woulda failed a medical at Liverfool then!!

• 2 Graeme // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Hopefully he will be as fit as a butchers dog by the time the season starts – that is, after all, the whole purpose of the “Pre-season”!!

Getting them fit, improving strength & fitness, Integrating the new players with the rest of the squad. Learning the intricacies of the various tactics Pardew uses etc. OK, I made that last bit up, sorry lol

• 3 Ethiotoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

That is why we need Grenier, if he suffer long layoff, we will struggle to create enough chances, as other squad players do not look playmakers.
    Concerning Loic, I think he will be good signing if we get him,he showed as last season he can score goals,no medical problems mentioned so we assume he’ll be fine.if we get loic and Grenier as ED said ,what a season and what a superb window this has been…
    Cannot wait season to start…

• 4 Sheikh MagToon // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

His brother, the supposed striker, scored for PSV last night in Europa League. Typical.
    Siem has calf problem and misses next 3 friendliest at least. Race to get him fit for season now.

• 5 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I think it’ll be very interesting to see how Siem De Jong does in his first season.

I’ve got no concerns about his ability but sometimes it takes players a season to get upto speed with the new team, team mates, and style of football.

I always remember Gary Speed being poor in his first season at Newcastle, and quality after that.

Siem’s an intelligent player, with great vision and technique, but he’s not terribly quick, so like i say it’ll be interesting to see how he does.

Same applies to all the new signings i suppose. The one who i think will make the quickest transition will be Colback (for obvious reasons).

If we were to sign Remy, then he would also find the groove immediately, i have no doubt.

I think it’s of the major importance that we sign Remy or someone of equal quality now.
    We’ve got the attacking foudations and some quality in and around the striking position but it will make such a difference if we can get a goal threat such as Remy in the side.

• 6 Blofal // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Milner looks available….

• 7 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

So is he injured? We have to expect many injuries because we often buy players on the cheap due to their poor injury records. I’d take Milner in a heartbeat, great attitude, tremendous fitness and knows the club and city.

• 8 Taking the Papiss // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I would hope that papiss may find his goal scoring touch again this year. The majority of games he played last year were without cabaye in the team and at a stage where we just couldn’t create chances. I have a feeling he may come good again now once surrounded by cabella de Jong and sissoko. He needs confidence because he obviously has the ability. I just have a feeling he is going to prove himself a top player again this year.

As an aside I haven’t commented on the signings so far this summer. I personally am very happy and genuinely consider us to be one striker short of a brilliant window. He might not be the most exciting addition but I honk colback will help out balance immensely.

I personally see team as follows, unfortunately mbiwa won’t get the nod but I think other than that this will be close:

Krul,

Janmaat, mbiwa, colo, santon,

Colback, tiote,

Sissoko, de Jong, cabella,

Cisse

All those that want grenier, I obviously agree but I think that colback is highly rated by pardew and will play there. With the creativity behind the striker I don’t think he is strictly necessary and colback will make us more solid defensively!

• 9 Graeme // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM

TTVVT – You are right, we do seem to have some decent attacking foundations within the squad now.

The biggest concern has to be the lack of improvement in defence. They were woefull, last season and all we have dodne is swap a fullback. Where is the improvement? Where is the strengthening? Collo, Saylor are going to be the same as last season, except a year older – will they perform at a higher level this season? Most unlikely!!

• 10 geordie157 // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I’ll keep saying it, if we don’t sign grenier then go get wijnaldum.

• 11 deeps // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Micah Richards available for £6 million :D
    Should get him

• 12 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

@Graeme

I think the argument Pards would give is that “attack is the best form of defence”.

Look at the stats with a goal scorer in our team and the defensive side improves too.
    This is pretty obvious – a result of the increased caution the opposition need to employ in their side.
    Less pressure on our defense due to their team sitting back more, and soaking up pressure.

Without an attacking threat we are easy to attack, but i can’t see that being the case this season, especially with Remy in the side. That’s why i think Remy or someone of his quality is integral to our alround game.

I can see many more clean sheets and confident denfensive displays when we have an attacking formation that puts the opposition on the back foot rather than vise-versa.

Personally i’d like to see us replacing Taylor in the starting line up. But if we were to sign Remy i wouldnt be overly concerned with the defence as it is.

And if we do pick up a bad injury or feel we are in desperate need for another centre half then perhaps we could get someone in January?

• 13 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Sky news Live blog

Lyon playmaker Clement Grenier has denied reports suggesting he missed a training session in an effort to force through a move. Newcastle United continue to be heavily linked with the France international amid rumours that he is growing increasingly unsettled at Stade Gerland.

• 14 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Sorry that should be Sky Sports Live Blog

• 15 G // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM

TTVVT @ 5, interesting comments, regarding Gary Speed, it’s funny, but I never had any issue with Speed during his first season, however, a lot of the fans did. I think it was a perculiar season for the toon in general and lot of fans blamed him, simply it seems, for not being Rob Lee! I find it strange that a lot of people singled him out for abuse, whereas I found him quietly efficient that season. Never saw him give the ball away much or do much wrong.

• 16 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@firebug666

Was reported about 2 days ago that mate.

Grenier says he’s been given a training programme that means some of his time is spent training away from the first team squad.

• 17 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM

@G

You may be right mate. I just can’t remember that far back as to why i thought he’d been poor though.

After that first season though he was awesome IMO.

Scored goals and was a driving force in the team as he had been at Everton and Leeds before that.

For me i think Siem could have the same influence on us, I just hope it doesnt take a full season of medoicre performances before he turns into a vertuoso.

• 18 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM

T.T.V.V.T.

Ok mate, I just seen it for the first time this morning, Still holding out hope we bring him in, but in fairness that hope is dwindling on this one. I think the club are waiting to see who else leaves us first.

• 19 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

@T.T.V.V.T

Agreed. I think we may move for Grenier quickly, if Sissokko hints that he wants out or we recieve an offer for him, but other than that i think we’ll just leave it.

Earlier in the window i was desperate for us to sign Grenier but now we have Cabella and De Jong im more realisitc about the whole thing.

Striker is the “be all and end all” the the minute. Literally.

• 20 Markaccus // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM

T.T.V.V.T

Agreeing with yourself??

• 21 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM

T.T.V.V.T

We may go for him in the January window if we suffer with injuries and or suspensions. Other than that I agree with you about leaving him.

Don’t worry I agree with myself all the time too! just drives our lass mad :D

• 22 nut meg // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM

T.T.V.V.T. @ 5
    Gary Speed was played out wide left in his first season & yes he was poor.He really showed what he was about when he went to his proper position.He was a fine player for us after that.

• 23 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM

@Markaccus

Was meant to paste Firebug666

• 24 Our Toon // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

T.t.v.v.t

Speed was played on the left in his first season

I had to chuckle at you comment below though:

Pards doesn’t know what attack means, sit back invite pressure and then try to counter is his method, that’s why we get some serious hidings and very rarely do we win by more than 1 goal!!

• 25 Wandering Geordie // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Grenier has just stated that he is not interested in a move to us or Arsenal

• 26 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I don’t think sissoko will go this window
    he hasn’t reached the standard where we will get the sort of fee we would want so we would be selling him cheap and I cant see that

I think the next player out the door will be tiote next summer he will be 28 and only 2 years left on his deal so I would think he is the next one out the door

• 27 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

@Our Toon

haha yeah, i think what i really meant to say was that the Newcastle big wigs would argue they don’t need to strengthen in defence if we are able to strengthen in attack.

In no big fan of Pardew but if has Remy et al at his disposal then the opposition would play more defensively, they’d be doing Pardew’s defensive tactics for him.

• 28 Our Toon // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM

T.t.v.v.t

True mate haha.

Hernandez and Kagawa being linked with moves away from OT, would anyone take a punt on either player? £24m for both apparently

• 29 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Newcastle are now 5/6 with sky bet to sign Remy after a fee has been “Reportedly” accepted by QPR. It will all be down to personal terms now.

• 30 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

ourtoon

kagawa was class in Germany and got injured early on at man u then in came moyes so he never had a chance but they have so many no10 I can see why there letting him go
    who wouldn’t want Hernandez class striker shame he was only ever super sub for man u but what a striker to have on the bench

• 31 nut meg // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Beermonkey @26
    That’s also how I see it. Tiote will have more value this season so a good chance of him moving on either this window or in January. Sissoko some time in the next 18 months I should imagine.

• 32 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM

So lots of places stating a fee is agreed with QPR just discussing personal terms with Remy
    Personally for me a fantastic signing if it comes off
    We need a proven goal scorer, he is a proven goal scorer and if it wasn’t for him last season we would of been fighting for survival instead we were pushing Europa until Ashley’s master stroke of a decision to sell Cabs
    The poll seems pretty split on signing him though, why? Are people still hung up over the fact he went to QPR?
    Why? He had no ties to us and no obligation to sign and let’s be honest were we really a better prospect? Fan discontent struggling to get results under fire manager hated owner fans saying he’s not a big enough signing etc
    I’m sure the money helped but I’m not sure why that means we shouldn’t go and get the lad, didn’t seem to struggle with his wages last season!

• 33 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM

@firebug666

Quick with that one though pal haha

NICE ONE!

• 34 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

@toonarmydownsouth

Agree with what you wrote.

Just wanted to say that most of the time the club loaning the player out will still pay a percentage of their wages.

No idea if this was true with Remy, but in general terms, QPR may well have paid say 10-20% of Remy’s wages last season while he played for us.

• 35 G // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Off subject, Connor Whickham is entereing the last year of his deal and the mackems have told him it’s sign or be sold time. Given how much hype he got on the blog before he signed for them, would anybody else take him now? Personally, I wouldn’t as he doesn’t seem very adaptable, and has failed to hit the heights that were expected of him.

• 36 Blofal // Aug 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

TDS I think most people are pissed because not once did he ever show an appreciation or affinity with this club. He doesn’t seem to be a player that appreciates the enormity of playing for 50000 of the worlds most passionate fans every week.

Our other signings although not devoted to the club give the impression of appreciating it. Remy rejected us for QPR and then when on loan had one foot out the door the whole time he was here.

I think you will find that has left a sore spot but it Remy commits and takes the club into his heart then all will be forgiven.

Like them or loath them Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse love it here. That is the passion we need to see.

• 37 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM

If true the fee accepted for Remy is only £8 mil same as the Liverfool bit. I hope this is true, as it’s always nice to have a little bit of money tucked away for another player.

CB maybe….Hopefully.

• 38 Sliema // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Firebug

I doubt we’ll get him for £8mil. Obv that was a clause to allow him to join a CL club. Otherwise he’s actually worth a lot more imo.

If I was a QPR fan and they sold him to us for £8mil, I’d be fuming!!! Who can they replace him with for that money? And why would they sell?!

• 39 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Good afternoon all,

I’d imagine the atmosphere of the blog is quite reflective of the atmosphere I have experienced generally – 50% of the fans are looking at these recent signings as a positive step in the right direction, while the other 50% see it as just a repeat of the cyclical nature of bringing players in to the club, showcasing their talents and flogging them for a profit.

I suppose asking people’s views on this is like lobbing a live grenade into the blog, but that’s all part of the fun is it not?

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Blofal
    Didn’t he? I know he was very cautious about commenting on his future beyond the end of the season and how he wanted to play in the CL but he also constantly commented on how great it was playing at SJP in front of 50,000
    Tbh saying we don’t want a proven goal scorer just because he hasn’t brown nosed us seems a bit petty like

T.T.V.V.T.
    Not sure how true it was but at the time it was widely reported we had agreed to pay his full salary
    Just media though so who knows!

Still think there’s work to be done this window, for me we still need non featuring earners like Guti Obertan and HBA off the books, rather have the money re invested instead of paying for players who rightly or wrongly won’t feature
    Use the money to bring in a CB a young attacking midfielder and a young winger along with Remy

• 41 Sliema // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM

G

If we could take Wickhan and Colback for a combined £5mil (for Wickhan ofc) then the Mackens would be well pissed off!

He’s homegrown, still seems pretty talented. He’d be good backup for sure.

• 42 G // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM

@41, Not sure MA would offer that much for what is essentially a Championship player. Even for backup, I would rather give one of our younguns a chance mate.

• 43 expatmag // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Ciaran

Do we know you?……lol

• 44 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Expat

Maybe not pal, but then again I’ve a feeling that that’s a good thing! haha

• 45 itsmehere // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM

We are signing Ferreyra from Shaktar on loan

• 46 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Ciaran
    How’s it going mate?
    The way i view the window as it stands with the players currently bought in is that it’s not enough
    There is a small positive as for me the majority of the players are at least rated and are either not far off or slightly better than the outgoing players with the possible exception of cabaye (still have high hopes for SDJ who cynically I think was bought in this window due to his contract after we’ve reportedly been interested for 2-3 years!)

But the rest of the window is key
    If we bring in say Remy, a young CB (was hoping for Dier, oh well!) and some either up and coming talents or decent players to improve our still weak bench, 2-4 ideally then I’d see it as a SMALL step in showing perhaps lessons had been learned, but also need some dead weight shifted

However the new players still don’t detract from the fact the coaching set up is still poor, can’t check because the Wi Fi isn’t great here but i believe we’ve bought in one or two coaches?(one from Everton?)

All in all an improvement on previous windows although that’s not hard but still plenty of work to be done to make a squad rather than a decent starting 11

• 47 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Well well well, look who’s decided to mix it up with the commoners :)

How we doing Ciaran?

Are you implying that we’re not really building towards CL footy next season? Honestly mate, so cynical :)

• 48 expatmag // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Ciaran

That might be ruddy marveauxless….lol

Itsmehere

And how do you know this?

• 49 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM

ciraran

how are you?

nutmeg

I think there is a plan with the length of deals we give players with a view to them being sold
    I think cabaye was gonna be sold this summer but started kicking off last summer

• 50 itsmehere // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Will be on sky soon graham Bailey reporting

• 51 deeps // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Aguero Kompany Zabaleta Demichellis and Fernandinho could miss the 1st match of the season :D
    Great news :D

• 52 expatmag // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Ibiza

I think he has only come back to see if it is true about your bikini line

• 53 Rainrix // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM

tads…. That coach from everton was just a fitness coach, so no radical overhaul of our playing style sadly.

• 54 expatmag // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Itsmehere

Once again, how do you know that?

• 55 Rainrix // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The Ferreyra thing is on goal.com as well, not the most reliable site but its there

• 56 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Tads

You’re line of thinking pretty much mirrors my own, though I would be more cynical about all the signings in fairness.

I genuinely believed that relegation was on the cards if we didn’t make at least 5 signings, so at least that immediate danger should be avoided, however I still think we are vastly short of even improving upon last season’s 10th place finish unless we sign a commanding centre-half and a new striker.

I would be amazed if we went in for Remy for £13.5 million, and my head says it would be a good signing, though personally his conduct at the end of last season has left a sour taste in the mouth.

I do think this is just a cycle, and in a few years time we’ll be talking about the sale of Cabella and the signing of yet another cheaper foreign import. It is simply how we do business.

• 57 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Beermonkey

I’m grand thanks for asking, how you been keeping mate?

Ibiza

Well I’ve got to clamber down from my ivory tower to stretch my legs every now and then ;) haha How you been pal?

• 58 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Tads

*Your

• 59 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM

tads

not a problem bringing in dier shall we say but where would that leave good
    in fact where is good last seen injured just before the world cup,
    we have good and satka both of those need to be played as wee need to know if there gonna make the grade, if we buy some1 like dier it just pushes others out

• 60 Keith in France // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Bet
    = S04 £17.3 Draw £35 West HamWHU £40 Bet365
    EXCLUSIVE
    By William Joyce

Newcastle United have won the race to sign Shakhtar Donetsk forward Facundo Ferreyra, Goal understands.

NEWCASTLE LATEST
    9/1 Newcastle are 9/1 with Paddy Power to finish in the top six
    The club have beaten off competition from a host of European clubs including a number from the Premier League – with West Ham amongst those eager to land him.

But Ferreyra is now set to head to the North East after Newcastle agreed a €2 million [£1.6m] loan fee with the option of making the deal permanent for a further €8m [£6.4m].

The 23-year-old moved to Shakhtar last summer but is one of a host of players, along with many others, who have grown increasingly concerned at the ongoing violent unrest in eastern Ukraine.

Ferreyra is understood to have spoken with Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini, who has recommended he join him at St James’ Park.

Newcastle are now hoping to tie up the details in the coming days with a view to confirming his arrival early next week.

The arrival of Ferreyra will not end their search for another striker with Lyon’s Alexandre Lacazette still in their sights, as the Argentine’s signing is seen as too good an opportunity for Newcastle not to go for

• 61 Grafton83 // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Just heard the rumour we’ve agreed terms with Shkatar for Facundo Ferreyra. Hope it’s true as he has had an impressive goals to appearances ratio this last two seasons.

Also quite pleased this probably means no Remy as he doesn’t deserve a club like Newcastle with its forever loyal fans.

• 62 Pottsclock // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Goal.com saying that agreement has been reached for us to loan there Argentinian striker Ferreyra. Is this story b*llocks or have we had other feeds confirming it?

If it’s true, I’d be surprised particularly as we ARE clearly after Remy and have some reasonable backup in that area with bringing in Riviere and Perez.

• 63 nut meg // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Expatmag
    Here it is
    Newcastle agree a loan deal with Shakthar Donetsk for striker Facundo Ferreyra.They still want another main striker on permanent deal too.

• 64 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I will laugh if we pull out of the remy deal

cant see it happening though

• 65 DokToon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

ciaran…

good to see you… i said your name 3x, and here you are :)

• 66 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

expat…I didn’t realise there was any doubt about my bikini lines mate :)

Ciaran…How very good of you, good sir. Shall I take your horse to our stables for some food, water and a little grooming?

I’ll call Belfast, he’ll take good care of it for you.

All well with me, standard crazy summer in Ibiza.

On the football side of things, I’m glad to see some new faces, some fairly decent faces tbh, however, it was definitely needed and I don’t think they’ve done anything more than the basic requirements. I also echo your thoughts it’s just the beginning of the next cycle of profit making.

• 67 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

While it is somewhat positive that we are getting bodies into the club – as we numerically desperately needed them – is anyone else concerned about the fact that many of them, ie Perez, Riviere, Colback either have potential or are simply average players?

SDJ, Cabella and Janmaat are good players, arguably not as good as the players they are replacing, so are we actually squad building or just replacing what we’ve let go?

Anyone know is this Ferreyra is any good?

• 68 Pottsclock // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Apologies…seems about 4 of us were all commenting at the Ferreyra thing at the same time !!

• 69 Rotonda heights // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I think loans are a very good idea. Remy was good, LDJ a nightmare. Limits the risk on getting another Owen or Luque.

So Cisse, Goofy, Riviere, Perez and hopefully , Ferreyra, with Armstong bubbling under.
    Now just need a CB

• 70 Ethiotoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Latest done deals
    Dier-tottenham
    Vidal man utd
    Ficher-Qpr
    Jenkinson-westham
    Bertrand-soton
    Valbuena-dyn.Moscow

• 71 Rotonda heights // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Ciaran,

I hear good things about him.

• 72 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Ciaran
    Sadly mate that’s life under Ashley until he’s gone that won’t change so keep up the good work on that front!!!
    Seems to be popping up everywhere now we’ve agreed a loan deal for the lad from Donetsk, good squad signing, might even have the depth for a cup run at this rate ;)
    Remy for me would be a great signing 20 goals in 40 PL games gives him the same scoring ratio as Super Al and Demba
    For me IMO we can’t be to picky about the players character traits given the lack of options, in an ideal world maybe!

• 73 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Ciaran
    The only thing I know about Ferreyra is that he’s sh1t hot on footy manager
    Sorry mark!

• 74 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Rotonda…Perhaps we could loan out Pardew to get some experience? With his, what is it 5-6 years left on his contract, he’s definitely one for the future.

• 75 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ibiza

That’s why I simply can’t allow myself to get excited, no matter how many faces come into the club. In the summer of 2011 we brought in a good few talented players. Davide Santon, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Marveaux etc and many of us thought that it was the beginning of us kicking on to the next level – especially when we finished 5th that season, yet it was proven not to be the case, and many of those players whom we signed have now been shipped out of the club.

I genuinely believe we will see the same from this batch of players, regardless of how good or how bad our season is, which is why I’m now maintaining a detached POV with regards the club.

• 76 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM

so we buy remy bring in Facundo Ferreyra on loan and with cisse riviere that means cambell and Armstrong can go out onloan which I think will be best for them rather than not getting a game with us

• 77 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Ciaran
    @ElasticoChop: Great article on #Ferreyra here: http://t.co/qfNstmkDS1 Words by @ChrisAtkins_ #NUFC

• 78 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

beermonkey
    Given that Willo is getting on in age and contract, Taylor is cack and colo is also ageing i think there’s plenty of room for an additional CB
    Especially when you take into account Good and Streete’s injury records

• 79 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Ciaran…That is exactly how I feel. Although, if the club are to be believed, they’ve learned from their mistakes this time around…honest :)

So, what’s this about Belfast joining forces with you? Are you starting an under 10 section for your blog? ;)

• 80 Pottsclock // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

With a first name of Facundo, Ferreyra will certainly get some stick from this blog if indeed he does join but turns out to be sh*ite. !

• 81 firebug666 // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

From The Mag:

Sky Sports journalist Graeme Bailey has just reported that Newcastle United have agreed a loan deal for Facundo Ferreyra.

• 82 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Tads…When you put it that way, maybe we need 3 or 4 CB’s? :)

I suppose our RB MBiwa could play there….nah…crazy idea, sorry.

• 83 G // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

@80 +1

• 84 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Tads

Cheers for that link, will give it a read now. Will try and keep the pressure on this season, but I will be more involved with NUST than MAOC next season and I will be making many more trips to the International Stadium for some non-league football than SJP, which I am massively looking forward to!

• 85 Slank // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

It is just as well the club pay little or no attention to those fans who forever list foreign players the club should buy and then spew out the vitriol against the club when they don’t buy them.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel is moving to Saint-Etienne having set the Premiership alight with Norwich, not.

• 86 Blubber tits // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

If we sign Remy, then we should be competing for 5th/6th throughout the season……that’s if we had a competent manager.

I’m marking down 8th as par for this season, same as last.

• 87 Markaccus // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Apparently we still want another cf as well as ferreyra

• 88 Blubber tits // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Ferryera doesn’t convince me. Very much the same style of play as LDJ.

Will certainly mean no Remy, too.

• 89 Ciaran // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Ibiza

Learned lessons? Well it’d be cynical not to believe them given their stellar track record of being honest with us fans… haha

Belfast been on here talking about that? Haha I’ve invited guest articles for the coming season to bring a little bit more variety to my blog and he expressed an ‘interest’ in writing a few articles. Not sure how genuine he is mind :P Could do with a few articles for the more intellectually challenged ;)

(That’s a joke by the way)

• 90 Kazzy // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Lads read that it says 1st august loan deal announced

• 91 Ethiotoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ferreyra to us..to the toons…
    to the geordies..to zee kings..
    better than nothing

• 92 Pottsclock // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM

The one thing that is heartening for me is that the foreign players we’re bringing in have clearly talked to their compatriots who are with us or have been till recently. For example Jamaat will have talked to Krul, SDJ to LDJ, Cabella to Sissoko/Cabaye and apparently Ferryra to Collo etc.
    They’ve then chosen us ahead of other options.

• 93 Markaccus // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Either someone his nicked Ashleys wallet, or Pardew has taken out a Wonga loan!!

• 94 check the toastie // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Cisse was a goal machine before P45DUE got his hands on him, players matter not when a clown is in charge of them.

Looking forward to defending our own 18yard box for most of the season again.

• 95 scitoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Just exactly how many players have we bought and then sold for a profit whilst under MA? Cabaye and Debuchy. Anyone else? Not sure that qualifies people to constantly whinge that MA buys only to sell at a profit. Most clubs do this – Arsenal have been like this for many a year. As far as replacing Cabaye we have SDJ and Cabella for creativity now. Janmaat looked great at the WC and im sure will fill Debuchy’s just fine.

• 96 Our Toon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Slank

Never rated RVW but plenty of others play in leagues and fail…Forlan, Veron, Kaka being the best examples I can think of recently

• 97 Ibizatoon // Aug 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Ciaran…It does make me smile how they seem to expect us to all just simply go “oh okay, this time will be different”. Mind, I guess there are some who do.

As for Belfast, aye, he’s been giving it large on here. Bless him, he hasn’t got a lot going on. I think he’s been working on a headline for the past week :)

• 98 deeps // Aug 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM

According to reports this morning, AC Milan are plotting a double swoop on Ligue 1. Le Parisien claims the Serie A club are interested in signing goalkeeper Steve Mandanda from Marseille, while Corriere dello Sport says talks are under way with Lyon over a deal worth just under €10 million (£7.9m) for Clement Grenier.

previous post: Hectic Pre-Season Schedule Continues – Where’s Sissoko?

next post: Breaking News – Newcastle Win Race To Get Striker On Loan