Newcastle Give Up On French Striker

It looked like with Alan Pardew’s comments of a day or two ago that Newcastle were going after Loic Remy of QPR, after his move to Liverpool broke down last Monday in Boston.

loic remy at hull

Loic Remy – has Pardew given up on this player?
Maybe.

And there were even reports out that Newcastle officials were meeting with QPR officials in London today, over a possible Remy deal.

But Newcastle manager Alan Pardew seems to have squashed those aspirations as he has said this today to BBC Newcastle;

“I think Loic Remy has had plenty of chances to come to us.” “We made it very clear that we would like to have had him and it had not really happened, so sometimes you have to say where is the line drawn for us as a club, as we have our own respect and professionalism.

“So maybe that’s one that’s got away but like all transfers – they are never ever over, so we will keep our finger on the pulse.”

Maybe Alan has been told to dampen down his comments about Remy – because he was very bullish when he last talked to BBC Newcastle a day or two ago – and said of course he would be interested in signing Remy.

So you never know what’s really going on – and maybe this is a communication to Remy himself – and it’s at least consistent with an earlier report that said that Remy would need to be keen to come to Newcastle before the Magpies made another approach for the striker.

And what Alan Pardew is really saying is that the club is bigger than any one player, and if Remy doesn’t really want to play for Newcastle permanently, then we’ll not (waste our time and) bother going after him – and that’s fair enough.

Newcastle United have to maintain their respect and professionalism – as Alan rightly points out.

We only want players who are keen to come to Newcastle and put on the famous black and white striped shirt, and who knows – Loic Remy may even find himself playing at QPR for next season.

That’s not as good as playing for Liverpool – or playing for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Note: There will be a meeting with Peter Beardsley at the Green in Wardley, Gateshead on Friday 22nd August from 7:00 pm. Tickets are now available priced at approx £25, and that includes a meal, a glass of wine and a talk with Peter – if you’d like a ticket for this event please call the Green at 0191 4950171.

Below are our three social media sites:

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Repost

Pardrew breaks his silence on HBA…

“It’s a simple situation. We have a professionalism and a level of commitment to our work that he needs to fall into and until he falls into that he won’t be part of the first team.

“He isn’t at the moment and he’s injured today, ironically, but he’s still part of the club.”

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM

If Remy choses to stay at QPR then I have lost all respect for him and hope he is booed for 90 minutes when QPR come to St.James .

Can’t believe he would rather play with their lot than the likes of De Jong, Cabella, & Sissoko (most of them he is good friends with) . Blows my mind .

• Levi

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Well put pardew. I would love to sign Remy but i don’t want us pleading for him to sign. I take it or leave it offer is what is needed now.

• swisstone

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Hang on, boo Remy for 90 mins if he stays at QPR?

Why? He’s doesnt owe us anything he served his loan and 9 times out of 10 was the best player on the pitch.

You may not agree with his decision, either do i, but to boo him after he served us well as a LOANEE just shows how fickle football fans have become.

• pedro

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Wandering…

Agree that both Kranevitter and Vietto are talents.

I think Vietto just signed for Villarreal though – which is a move I think he needed. His career at Racing had really started stagnating and still only 20 he needed to get out.

An obvious one and which I am surprised hasnt moved already is Eder Alverez Balanta. Valencia are said to be close to a deal but for only $6million that seems like an excellent deal

• p

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I think he may still end up at the toon. A mate of mine used to refer to the watershed moment when we were out at a nightclub at which point his aspirations would take a sharp drop. This reminds me a bit of that. There is no one better open to him than us and time is running out.

• dannyboy

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM

@bigpappacisse

Does it really blow your mind if he stays at QPR? If he comes to toon hel be on at least 20k less. Money talks, it’s that simple.
    I hold no grudges against the guy.without his vital goals god knows were we would have finished.
    He never once said He’s here to stay, he didn’t try to pull the wool under anyones eyes, the only person guilty of that is Padrew.
    We have no reason to ever boo him. If anything we should thank him

• lesh

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Pardew’s become very manager-like all of a sudden. Has hr taken a leaf out of Van Gaal’s no nonsense tolerated book, I wonder?

Not before time too!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Taking a step up for more money is acceptable (but also everything wrong with modern football) , however taking a step down for more money is a joke .

• p

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM

my sentiments exactly dannyboy

and as I said the other day, my enduring memory of the lad is scoring and going up and hugging someone in the disabled section

• Lost Plot

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM

The ambition the club has shown over past few weeks .. And way the players have settled in together (both new & old) should be a sign for any prospective footballer to want and join the current squad!

I may be sounding very optimistic here BUT this gotta be a BUZZ I ain’t had legally in a long while!

Can’t wait for next Sundays game against Real Soci .. Who up for getting on it? H’way
    Gotta be a full house like Harpers last stand 🙂

• WLtoon

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Maybe now we can actually start looking for a CF who wants to play for us.
    If we do get one in ,he.ll be playing in front of crowds 3 times bigger than Remy. .

• lesh

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

dannyboy, he never did say he’s with us for keeps but if you remember, he came over to sign for us before being seduced by QPR’s lucre and Rednapp’s charm!

I think that spoke volumes and enough is enough.

• dannyboy

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM

What’s the chance of Newcastle or QPR winning anything next year? Very slim

He’s not taking a massive step up if he comes nor is he taking a massive step down if he stays at QPR.

I think he owes QPR a good season. If I moved abroad and didn’t love a club or have any loyalties, I would move to the club that pays the highest

• Jeff from Benwell

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

• Sazzer

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Pedro and Wandering Geordie
    How is Tagliafico doing these days? Remember him being named along side Facundo? Especially after reading that old post about scouting going on in South America.

I see Rodrigo Battaglia moved to Braga.
    Ezequiel Cirigliano move to Hellas Verona.

Germán Pezzella no longer on your list Wandering?

• welshgeordie9

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Can somebody tell me what times the kick off tomorrow

• toon kk

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Regarding Remy, our loan deal is a far cheaper option, deal done transfer business probably closed.

• WLtoon

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM

@17
    the games are on Quest, and the coverage starts at 2.15pm i think.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

firebug

We have a professionalism and a level of commitment to our work

No mention of headbutts!!!

• dannyboy

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I think we’ll sign another player, whether it is a marquee signing is another question.
    If we were to sign another striker how are we going to accommodate him, rivere,cisse, the new loanee in a 4-2-3-1 formation? With Armstrong, Campbell and perez pushing for first team action. I’d happily sell cisse to accommodate another new striker

• lochinvar

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM

So Pardew talks about HBA and professionalism and a level of commitment to the club – does that include chinning opponents on the touch line ?!

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Time to move on me thinks.

He did do a good job for us last year, so I wish him well.

• pedro

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Sazzer

Tagliafico is still regarded highly. Was part of the Banfield side that comfortably won the Nacional B so we will see more this season back in the Primera.

I think Ezequiel Cirigliano is back with River as it was only a loan deal to Hellas Verona. Will be interesting to see how he fits in or if River will try and ship out again. He would be available I am sure, as River need the cash

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Percy’s full of it. Ben Arfa dug Percy out in front of everyone after the man utd defeat apparently. Well according to Ben Arfas agent anyway.

Bruised ego i’m guessing.

• WWSBRD

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Shame if true our striker options are shrinking fast…does sound a bit like brinkmanship though so we will see

• MonkseatonMag

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM

@21

We shouldn’t need to sell Cisse to accommodate another striker. We should be building a ‘squad’ not just a ‘team.’

• geordie157

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It looks like Mbiwa is staying, we could still do with another CB and a striker even if the loan move goes through. But happy to strengthen those positions in Jan if need be.

I would however add another attacking midfielder to help ease the pressure on the lone striker. And yep that man should be Wijnaldum.

Oh and give the unwashed 5mill for Wickham and chuck in Jonas for free.

• nufc786

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I agree with Belfast… Seydou doumbia would be great if we can pull it off….

and if we cannot get grenier…. maybe this player

Grégory Sertic has delivered 7 assists in Ligue 1 in 2014, more than any other player.

• WWSBRD

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Have we actually signed this Football Manager wonderkid from Argentina?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Talking about professionalism – was watching the news today -there was an interview with Ronald Koeman – he was asked about Morgan Schneiderlin – his reply was that he did not dicuss individual players – and that was it.
    Good display of what professionalism is.

• dannyboy

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Haha I agree padrew may not be professional but he’s committed.
    He tries his best but unfortunately alot of the time it’s not good enough.
    Ive never heard many bad words come from players that pardew has managed.
    HBA has a long list of players and managers he’s upset. I love him on his day but those days aren’t too often.
    Hopefully he takes this public embarrassment in the right way to make him a better player. I’ve got a feeling hel take it the wrong way though and act like a child sitting on the naughty step

• nufc786

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

hopefully we will get grenier

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Cisse won’t be going anywhere, simply because nobody will be interested.

Don’t think he’ll be seeing much game time next season.

• beermonkey

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

welsh
    3.15 prog starts

• firebug666

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Rotonda heights

Yeah, I answered on previous, your right he needs to practice what he preaches. I think Pardrew has a nerve making such a statement given his track record. It’s a case of “You don’t do as I do, You do as I say”. Personally I find him totally disgusting.

• dannyboy

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM

And I just don’t think cisse all round game is good enough.
    Poor touch, lacks pace,poor in the air, hold up play poor, can’t beat a player, no skill,plus he was born offside.
    He’s a good finisher but you need something extra to play for the toon

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM

If we sign Grenier, the Argentine, Lacazette/Benteke/Remy and Alderweireld, I’ll be satisfied.

• nufc786

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Ketsbaia9

what is your view on gregory sertic bordeaux cm

• bladeuser

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I think we missed the boat with hangerland he still has a couple of good years left and is better than anything we have