The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Announce Seventh Summer Signing

2:01 pm, Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle United have just completed the signing of 23 year-old striker Facundo Ferreyra from Shakhtar Donetsk on loan for the season.

Facundo Ferreyra 123

Facundo Ferreyra – signed on a season long loan deal

The 23-year-old Argentine striker joins Newcastle with an option to make the deal permanent for around £6.4M, and the loan fee was £1.6M.

This is what the 23 year-old has said after signing for Newcastle:

“I am very pleased to sign for Newcastle United.” “I like the Premier League and when I knew that Newcastle were interested in me, it was a very easy decision to make.¨

“I spoke to my friend Fabricio Coloccini, and when he told me about the Club, I didn’t need to think twice.”

That’s good work by the captain, and there had been reports last week that Fabricio had rather easily persuaded his friend to join the Magpies.

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew said this about our new striker:

“Facundo is someone we know on a number of levels, including his friendship with Fabricio Coloccini, and we think he could be a big success here at Newcastle.¨

“This is a player who has played at the top level and is highly-regarded in Argentina.¨  “He has tremendous potential and hopefully he can realise that here at Newcastle United.”

Newcastle beat us to it – and we thought the signing would have been announced at the earliest tomorrow, but it seems that Lee Charnley is living up to his reputation at Newcastle – and he certainly doesn’t mess around – and that’s very good. :D

Newcastle moved very quickly to get Ferreyra on board, and compliments to the recruitment team at Newcastle, who have now got seven (very) good players  through the door this summer – and there’s still 29 days to go in this transfer window.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Facundo Ferreyra · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM

That home shirt is not the same as the one being showed on sale around the world like. Still hope the lad settles quick and scores some goals.

If he gets on the wrongs side of the fans this season he may find that the Ukraine ain’t so bad after all.

Welcome to Newcastle Ferreyra lad.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Mickalonius

Ben arfa won 5 league titles at 2 different clubs. Which of our players has ever come close to a record like that.

Bellamy was a pain. Souness couldn’t manage, SBR could.
    Tevez was a pain, pardew couldn’t manage, SAF could.
    cantona was a pain, wilkinson couldn’t manage, SAF could.

Still you bleat on about 1 good season but give no reasons for pardew’s mediocre and extremely average career Cv. Why is that?

• 3 count // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Can’t help but have a wry smile to myself when all-of-a-sudden it’s acceptable for the blog to touch on geopolitics. Just because “we” (Newcastle fans) have felt the direct effects of it recently, in both tragically negative and mildly positive ways. Not that I’m suggesting that this signing in any way makes up for people dying.

When you try to get through to some people that having Ashley as owner is not the absolute end of the world (in the grand scheme of things) and not worth devoting huge amounts of time fighting against. People twist on saying “This isn’t the place for politics”. Shame it has taken such a tragic event for people to accept that there is always the need for things to be contextualised in the real world.

• 4 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Rotonda, good posts as usual. Eyes open, wide awake.

Indeed, Souness called Bellamy a bad apple and wanted him removed immediately.

Sir Bobby takes it all in and man manages him very effectively. As he did with Romario.

Great coaches get the best from even troubled players. Some of the poorer coaches simply use them as scapegoats.

• 5 Belfast // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM

The picture on that quest tv is ferking awful like. Looks like a bad internet stream

• 6 beermonkey // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Facundo Ferreyra just looked his wiki page not a lot of info on there not a bad record last couple of seasons

cant see us bringing in wickham although he was good last half of the season

• 7 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Belfast

Strange really because I have a great picture on the Quest channel mate. Might be something to do with signal strength, I’m right on the North East Coast and watching via a TalkTalk YouView box.

• 8 beermonkey // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Belfast

its not that bad via the internet

• 9 Belfast // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Virgin media I’m with.

It was the same yesterday

• 10 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Belfast

You could have a look at what the picture is like using the TVCatchup app on your computer. That works well for me both on my PC and my phone.

• 11 cyprus // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Hope this guy is a good signing. Although it’s early days and NO conclusions must be drawn, my first impression of all the new players is an underwhelming one :(

Nothing like when Guti, HBA and the Big Five arrived. I, unlike others, was also disappointed by the NZ games. Haven’t seen any new tactics, just new faces.

What do these guys do all day in training, don’t you sometimes wonder? Don’t they try out triangles, combos, little tricks, running in empty spaces, set piece tactics? I guess not.

Still, after we beat City I’ll settle down a bit more :)

• 12 Ethiotoon // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I am always feel delighted when Newcastle bring in new faces. don’t know this guy but at 23,he can improve a lot and
    Become important striker for us.looks like there is v.good communication between AP and charnley ( the champ)…
    So what is important now is that AP has to
    Deliver success on the pitch.IMO this might be his last chance to show he is the right man for this football club.no one will give him more time beyond this season.
    Todays game I think is very important to show we are ready for the new top flight season, bcoz schalke are interesting opponents.and I expect strong eleven with good and flair football…

• 13 Belfast // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

It must be something to do with virgin media the kernts

• 14 cyprus // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM

By the way Ed, I’m in your adopted country for another few days! Will go do the Rocky steps today, to give me some inspiration / motivation. Maybe NUFC players should do the same.

• 15 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

___________________________

Great read after our inept performance yesterday. Cabella was slotted at left back?

When I look at manu and their football under LVG 3-5-2. I’M JEALOUS..

• 16 deeps // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Lol malaga 1-0 WHU :D

• 17 deeps // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Malaga 2-0 WHU :D

• 18 Beatroll25 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM

We won’t sign another striker now in my opinion.

We have Cisse, Riviere and Ferreyra to go at the PL and will look to Campbell/Armstong for the one round of the cups we will be in.

• 19 Beatroll25 // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Malaga showing PArdew and Souness to be footballing dinosaurs.

• 20 kevymartins // Aug 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Pen lol west ham took apart.

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Well at least WHU will keep us company in the relegation zone :)

• 22 kevymartins // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

@Tads Malaga are a very good team and that being said i’m nearly sure there playing a full starting 11 and bearly make any subs . Lol did you see the we man celebrating there. Someone needs to tell him it’s a pre-season friendly.

• 23 cyprus // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

lol, cry

• 24 JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER) // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

wen does da game start

• 25 deeps // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Match starts in 90 minutes time

• 26 JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER) // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

tnxx deeps thats to long.. wil go out for a while den wasted 2 hrs lol

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Beatroll,
    You would do a much better job trolling if you got the right names!

On Wickham, I’d have taken him at the start of the summer, but surely he is a back up which is what (hopefully) Riviere is. I’d have preferred Wickham at the start, but can’t see the point now.

• 28 Bambams // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I tell you what …….
    If we get a free kick from one of the wings and it’s aimed for the back post big Mike head back across the six yard box……..

I will give in any hope Pards can bring us a decent team :'(

• 29 toon kk // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I’m not being negative but I think we’ll struggle next season we have no top goal scorer just a bunch of “well hopefuls” and a shocking defence. Good mid field but is that enough?
    The majority of our signings have definitely got resale value in mind.

• 30 kevymartins // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Toonkk chill out. We have the likes of SDJ Cabella sissoko Tiote Gouffran Krul

And plus Janmaat Rivier and Chucky who knows how they will turn out.

We will be fine trust me there will be teams worse than us in the league next year…

Swansea/Lecister/palace/stoke/Southampton/west ham and so on and so on.

• 31 kevymartins // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

And even thought our defence is bad QPR have the likes of Rio Ferdinand lol

• 32 Mr Magpie // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Just an idea but not adverse to seeing a different set up with a 3-4-2-1 attacking formation based on if we got Micah Richards in from Man City.
    Krul in goal…obviously
    Colo with Mbiwa & Richards in a back 3, Colo has good reading of the game, the other two bring in some much needed pace.
    Janmaat & Haidara/Santon wingbacks with license to actually get forward & attack whilst Tiote & Sissoko are the engine room in the centre of midfield all with responsibility to defend when needed.
    De jong & Cabella behind any one from Cisse/Riviere/Ferreyra with the idea of linking midfield to attack to create & score chances for the team.

• 33 kevymartins // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I don’t get why people want Richards he is sh*t. He hasn’t bearly kicked a football in 2 seasons and is looking a big wage. Anyone see him yesterday played horrible then missed a pen. Donkey if you ask me.

• 34 Wandering Geordie // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Streaming West Ham game at the mo.So glad we never bought Jenkinson. having a mare.Cant head to save his life.Tactically naive.

• 35 Bambams // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

We still need a CB that can head corners at both ends.
    Cant go with Colo and Willo this season. No pace at all now from them two…

imo

• 36 Sliema // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Mr Magpie

I like your thinking mate, and 3-5-2 can work wonders (under a diff manager perhaps! :P )

However, Colo, Mbiwa and Richards… where is the height? We need some aerial ability in there.

• 37 deeps // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

#nufc team v Schalke Krul; Anita, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Dummett; Obertan, Sissoko, Colback, Aarons; Riviere, Gouffran

• 38 Mr Magpie // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Kevymartins@33
    A donkey that would look like a thoroughbred compared against Williamson or Saylor.
    A loan with option to buy would be ideal to see if his fitness is up to standard, he may be a playing catch up with regards to playing time & fitness but he was once regarded as one of the best defenders England had.
    Not neccasarilly Richards but a young strong cb with pace is needed as apart from Mbiwa the cb’s are ridiculously slow.

• 39 Mr Magpie // Aug 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Silema@36
    Yeah fair point & i did think that about the height myself but cant see us signing 2 cb’s & not many big cb’s available with pace for the amount we will be willing to pay.

• 40 toonicle // Aug 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Now that we’ve signed our third striker I hope we can focus on our dreadful CB situation

• 41 dcdick // Aug 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Another new player, where’s the new manager ?

Pardew Out !!!

• 42 geordie abroad // Aug 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I think this lad could do well given the chance. Don’t know much about him, just internet stuff, of which I just watch his goals on vid. From what I can see he likes to come for the ball and run at defenses, he also has a nice mixture of goals. has good accuracy from long shots and can poach them too. Most notably he looks very good with both feet. Hopefully he’ll get his chance to play upfront.

• 43 geordie abroad // Aug 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM

As for our defense we should have got rid of collocini and brought in lescott when he was available. Then added richards. Would have made a nice back five.

——-richards—lescott—-mbiwa ——
    Janmaat——————————-haidarra
    ——————–tiote————————
    ——Sissoko ————-de jonk————
    ————cabella (free role)—————
    ———————Ferreyr ???————-

Doesn’t feel as secure putting in coloccini, Williamson, Taylor in there.

• 44 musomag // Aug 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Geordie @ 1

I totally agree with you on the Lescott front, said it many times before, but who’s this De Jonk? Did we sign him to replace Yohan Kebab?

previous post: Newcastle After New Striker Target