While Schalke had most of the possession in the first half of todays game and were the better side, it was Newcastle who were much better when they had chances to score, and goals from Manu Riviera, Rolando Aarons and Remy Cabella were enough to give the Magpies a very good 3-1 win today, with Schalke scoring in the dying seconds of the game.
Rolando Aarons after scoring Newcastle’s second goal today
He made the first goal for Manu Riviere
Here are some of the positives Alan Pardew will no doubt take out of this game today:
- 18 year-old Rolando Aarons had a very good game on the left wing today, and set up Riviere superbly for the first goal, and generally looked a real handful for Schalke this afternoon – and scored the second goal from what looked like to be a cross (sorry Rolando – maybe it was a shot) – but this lad must be given a run in the first team at the beginning of the season.
- Manu Riviere showed what a powerful center-forward he can become at Newcastle, and when Aarons put the ball over to him after 18 minutes, there was still a lot to do but Manu headed the ball superbly just inside the post giving the goalkeeper no chance at all
- Remy Cabella picked up a loose ball 10 yards outside the penalty box in the second half and made ground quickly before hitting the ball early and into the back of the net, and it was before the Schalke goalkeeper could even set himself – it was a good exhibition of how to take a chance from our new French winger, and we are hoping to see a lot more of this great stuff from Cabella in the future
- Alan Pardew made all of 11 changes in this game in the second half, and Newcastle still managed to play as a team and put in a good performance, even with all the changes made – and a few of our youngsters like Lubo Satka for one are looking good – and of course it looks like 18 year-old Rolando Aarons has earned a run in the first team – but it shows the lads know what is expected of them in each position when they are brought into the side
- The reaction that the Newcastle players gave today to the poor performance yesterday – especially in that first half against Malaga – shows the character of the players – and we didn’t expect such a good win against Schalke today – but it was uplifting to see some really good play from the lads – especially in the second half, when we seemed to move the ball around very well indeed
- And finally, the defense was much improved from yesterday, and Colo and Mike Williamson looked quite solid at the back, and Vurnon Anita also looked more than useful at right back today
It was an uplifting performance from Newcastle today for the fans.
What do you think?
Below are our three social media sites: