The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

French Winger Could Be Given Reprieve At Newcastle

8:37 am, Monday, August 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

It’s always good to see a player who is supposed to be leaving the club get stuck in and start playing well in both the training and in the games,  and that’s exactly what’s happened with Gabriel Obertan at Newcastle United.

gabriel obertan

Gabriel Obertan in action yesterday

Gabby scored a great goal against Malaga on Saturday – maybe his best goal ever for Newcastle – and it shows some good character coming from the 25 year-old French winger.

The former Manchester United player has certainly impressed in pre-season, both in his attacking prowess and in his willingness to work for the side.

That has not gone unnoticed by Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, who had this to say to Sky Sports News yesterday:

“I was really pleased with our fans. It was nice to hear them singing Obertan’s name,” “He is another player that has worked hard this summer and you can see that.

“If he can take that into the season that will be a bonus for us, because he’s been troubled with injuries.”

It would certainly be a bonus if Gabby can keep fit and play like he’s been playing recently, although consistency is the challenge for him.

Newcastle are still going great guns in the transfer market this summer,  and yesterday completed our seventh signing of the summer, with 23 year-old Facundo Ferreyra arriving on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk.

And there was news last night that Newcastle are after two Nottingham Forest defenders, and want to complete those two deals today.

Lee Charnley has been a busy man this summer.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Coaching · Facundo Ferreyra · Gabriel Obertan · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM

One of the forrest players is a GK ed!

• 2 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Didnt realise Squidward was still only 25. I really cant see him carrying this form into the season proper. I just do not think he has it in him. Always willing to be proved wrong like. I respect his change in attitude and the fact he is working hard.

• 3 Blofal // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Anyone have a link to a vid of the full game against Schalke? I’m searching in vain and I want more than just the highlights :)

• 4 geordie1892 // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Could obertan be the next perchiniho… Hated by the fans at first then transformed into a bit of a cult hero. Watch this space.

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Blofal

Best bet is probably scouring you tube to see if anyone has up loaded it there.

• 6 jazzyp // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Markaccus

Doesn’t say much about Alnwick mate if we are bringing in another keeper of the same age.
    On Obershocker, I would be more than happy to eat my words if he could carry on in the same vain as yesterday as I probably have been one of his biggest critics. Along with young Rolando I would have given him the man of the match award yesterday

• 7 nut meg // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Jazzyp
    This has been common knowledge for a while now.I think it’s a racing certainty that they’ll be player/s sold just before
    the deadline,new stadium payments from what I read a while back. I would guess Grenier,Lacazette or Umtiti. Lyon must pay 20 m+ is the figure I seen so any 2 from 3 ? I would imagine there’ll be more than us watching & waiting.

• 8 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM

G1892

Cult hero status for Gabby? Its a long shot, but you never know i suppose.

He will be in good company…
    Ketsbaia (the real one, not the nutter who posts here)
    Sibierski
    Perchinho
    Shola (just kidding)

• 9 Harley // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Everyone getting carried away because obertan played ok for 45 minutes in a pre season friendly.

This is the same obertan who runs and forgets to take the ball with him for the last 3 seasons.

He has to do a lot more this to convince me.

• 10 DanToon // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Would be surprised if the forest deal goes through to be honest, they have just been sponsored by the Kuwaiti Government in a deal worth £500m over 10 years so if they’re not in the prem next season I’d be massively shocked. I hope they are too as they’re a top club.

Also, why do some people on here spell forest with two R’s, it’s just stupid!?

• 11 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Jazzy

If Alnwick is the only kid coming through at GK it might work out well to put pressure on him by having some competition. The craic is both these forrest players will stay there on loan, so out kids know they have a chance to ptove their worth first.

• 12 beermonkey // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

jazzy

where and when are we gonna play woebatan
    I wouldn’t wanna see him if it means taking game time from Aarons
    while he looks good sell him or give him away with benny and get shot of the wages

• 13 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Dan

calm down. Its an easy mistake to make.

• 14 jazzyp // Aug 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Nutmeg
    Lyon have already agreed a deal in principle for Clement Chantome from Toulouse . Who is an attacking midfielder. This deal can only be made on the sale of Grenier as they have no money until Grenier is sold.
    Maybe will happen sooner rather than later pal the way we are active in the market……..Here’s hoping

• 15 DanToon // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Nothing personal Markaccus mate, just one of them things that bugs me lol.

• 16 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Jazzy

I think bigger clubs will move for Grenier. We still might have a chance at the striker, though. We are so close to a good squad now, its going to be devastating if we dont land those 2-3 players to complete it.

• 17 jazzyp // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Beermonkey
    Good morning buddy
    That’s the thing with Obershocker “Ya never know what your gonna get”
    If any scouts saw that performance yesterday then I would think there is hope of selling him on mate would you ??

• 18 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Dan

I know what you mean. But its a slippery slope, suddenly you are spotting people using the wrong “their/there/they’re or spelling can’t “carnt” and then there’s no going back :D

• 19 jazzyp // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Markaccus

totally agree pal we are so close now to having a cracking squad with depth to it I might add as well.
    a worry for me yesterday was Streete. He seems to be have been on the cuff of the first team for years now but he looked totally out of sorts once introduced yesterday

• 20 geordie1892 // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Obviously no one should be getting too carried away like mentioned below its only a couple of friendly matches. Still though I love a good underdog story, come on squiddy

• 21 geordie1892 // Aug 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Can’t see street making the grade tbh, would far rather concentrate on Good and the other young Slovakian lad, although he needs to bulk up a bit. Meat and potatoes diet for him me thinks

• 22 vidcare // Aug 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Don’t think much has changed with Obershocker he runs losses the ball wont chase back to try and win it back he would rather stand and watch , on the defensive he will stand in a empty space and watch other team mates mark up he just wont have any chance of physical contact and having him in a defensive wall he just ducks or turns out of the way of the ball nothing has changed from last season Still don’t think he has got the message!!

previous post: Breaking News – Newcastle In For Two More Players