Newcastle Still Want One More Striker Brought In

There’s news today that Newcastle are still interested in Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette – even though Lyon seem unwilling to let their 23 year-old leave the club.

alexandre lacazette

Alexandre Lacazette – Newcastle target

But it seems that Newcastle still want one more experienced striker on the books this summer, even though we have just signed promising Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra on loan for the season.

Newcastle are expected to announce the signing of Nottingham Forest players 20 year-old center-back Jamaal Lascelles and 23 year-old goalkeeper Karl Darlow today, and that brings to nine the number of players Newcastle have signed so far this summer.

And it’s still possible that Remy could join Newcastle, either on loan or on a permanent deal, but there are two things that Remy is asking for – a very high wage thought to be as much as £80K/week and he wants to move to a Champions League club – that are putting Newcastle off the player who was on loan last season.

With Lacazette, there may be a chance to use Ben Arfa in a part exchange deal, since Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas has said he would like the French winger to return to the club he first started at, way back in 20002, and we reported on that possibility late last night.

This has been an excellent transfer window for Newcastle so far, and it still seems that Newcastle are still determined to add to their squad before the end of the transfer window.

That cannot be bad.

Below are our three social media sites:

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM

on lacazette- good player, but we need more CB and maybe LB as well.

this year I feel cisse gonna be our main man again

• Vask

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Israli – What did Barton tweet now?

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I dont speak about politics here.. check for yourself pal 🙂

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

The only problem with using Benny as a make weight in any deal with Lyon, are his wages. Would Benny take a pay cut to play football?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Funk…don’t drag me into that discussion

• Vask

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Firbug, I doubt he would.

• Vask

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Israeli – that’s more like it son.

• Mr Funk

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

@ Jesper

Consider yourself free

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Vask

I agree mate, I think Benny will sit in the reserves and then leave of a free next year. Shame really as he could be part of a good deal that would suit all parties.

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM

We know from previous dealings with Lyon that they will engage in brinkmanship but our club appear to have the stomach to deal with them. The negotiators from each club must know each others tactics pretty well now.

At the end of the day, they need the money and we have the money.

Yes the player may want Champions League (like Remy) but there is a very limited number of clubs playing in that league and who also need a striker.

I think we will buy one more player perhaps two at a stretch. It’s looking like it could be Lacazette or/and Grenier.

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I hope pardew will put Obertan in his line-up against city.

we was an integral part in our 5th season, he is very quick so automaticlly the left back of the opposition isnt attacking as much, and he has something to prove

• Mr Funk

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM

@ Israeli fan

Looks like we are planning for next season – Lascellles replacing Willo, Darlow for extra competition for GK

I think we need to give some of our young CBs some games eg Good and Satka

Can only see another striker coming in and thats it

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM

This other deal for the two forest lads is being reported to be for only £5 mil, If that’s true what a bargain.

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

on ben arfa- why you think clubs will rate him now at even 5m while they can talk with him as a free agent in 6 months?

• Vask

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

To be honest I’d really like us to keep Benny shame he’s (rumoured to be) so poor in his attitude. I’m not sold on this lacazette bloke but then again I know nowt of the football world outside this blog so he could be mint for all I know. I reckon Benteke would be a good un for us but I doubt he’d come cheap. His injury could be classed as a stalling point too but I think we maybe alreet for a striker til January at least.

• thepict

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM

The trouble with Joey Barton Israeli, is he thinks he is highly intelligent. He is a lot.of things, intelligent is not one of them.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

“I hope pardew will put Obertan in his line-up against city.

he was an integral part in our 5th season”

What a load of hot air!

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

israeli_fan @ 14

I agree, we have really lost the initiative where Benny is concerned. But it’s a case of swings and roundabouts, as we have done the very same thing to other clubs on numerous occasions.

Benny is wrote off for this season anyway, so we should maybe just release him and save some money of his wages.

• jayphoto

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

@israeli- kind of agree on Obertan though I wouldn’t start him! Having someone with that kind of pace automatically causes opposition defences to play a deeper line meaning our strikers can play higher up and are closer to the box when they get the ball!
    I’ve no problem if Obertan kicks on though and makes himself undroppable! A 4-2-3-1 with cabella, de jong and obertan in front of sissoko and Colback/anita/tiote looks exciting enough to me and I do think that wide right position may be one position that doesn’t have a nailed on starter aswell as striker and left back

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Being very smug, when the transfer window closes will those bloggers who said we wouldn’t spend a penny because the club has no ambition own up to getting it completely wrong ?

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Mr Funk

Yes it looks like some surprising forward thinking.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

@Slank

Technically we’ve spent £7m up to now.

Not exactly breaking the bank is it.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

If Ben Arfa could just bite the bullet and work hard and get a team mentality he could be excellent for us this season. The first one in ages he’d actually have players around him on his wavelength. Such a shame this has happened.

• Vask

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Slank – We haven’t strengthened just replaced is the argument you will face.

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

The problem with playing Obertan is that Sissoko could be occupying that position depending upon the formation but it is great that he is being considered by fans.

• jayphoto

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I live in Derbyshire (house virtually backs on to st georges park actually) and theres loads of forest fans here as only 25 mile or so away, they’re bloody livid about Darlow and Lascelles! They reckon they should be getting 15m for them! The only reason theyre not kicking off is because they think having them this season will get promoted and they’ll start spending big once in the premier league!
    Co-incidently, their owner has spent 20m on property in the villages around me buying a couple of manors and stately homes! Think theyve spent more on houses than players

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

TTVVT

obertan played in all our unbeaten run, its a fact.
    he doesnt have the skill of ben arfa or the presence of sissoko but the best football team isnt the best individual team.

look at qpr 2 years ago or us 6 years ago- good players all over the pitch but still relegated

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Slank

I will own up now mate. This summer has been a revelation on the signings front, something I never expected. I still feel that the club needs a new managers ASAP, but feel we will have enough by the close of the window to compete on all fronts.

I was still right when i said most of our depth will come from the development squad this year, and from what has been witnessed so far in pre – season things are not looking too bad.

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM

T T V V T

As has been explained before it’s not the amount of money that has been spent but how you spend it.

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Israeli Fan

Although I don’t want to talk about politics I thought I’d give a balanced argument to some of the myths about what goes on in Gaza, fortunately I’ve been there on multiple occasions.

Hamas were democratically elected because the people of Gaza suffer on a daily basis from the land grabbing that goes on everyday. You are concerned about rockets but what would you do if the shoe was on the other foot and your house was destroyed so a family from Gaza could move in?

The lies about Hamas hiding behind women and children, the area is so populated that it’s impossible for the innocents to hide, Hamas have killed 3 civilians and 60 odd soldiers where as Israel has killed over 1800 Palestinian people, of which over 300 are CHILDREN. They’ve only killed around 200 members of Hamas….A terrorist to me is someone that kills innocent people and that is Israel.

This is genocide my friend and to think that the people of Gaza live in a modern day concentration camp is horrifying especially considering that there oppressors went through this in WW2

Gaza has water for 2 or 3 hours a day before it is cut off by tue Israelis and same with electricity, no other country in the world has broken more UN Resolutions than Israel. Have you ever stepped foot in Gaza Israeli fan?

Look at the history of Israel and you will find that Palestine was the name of the country until the US with the help of the UK gave the Jewish people a country of there own….I can go on about the atrocities I have seen over there on a daily basis if you’d like mate but please don’t come on here to pedal that propaganda rubbish we all see where the TV is switched on!!

• wynsleap

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

T.T.V.V.T. @ 22 – You’re right and probably there’ll be outgoings too.

• lesh

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Our Toon

Well said – a view of the situation that’s not presented to Joe Public.

However, you’re in danger of being criticised for posting such on a non-political site.

But, where are such observations posted and are accessible to those who are presented with the official line?

• Jarra

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Sank, I have sat back and not a massive contributor to the blog but read it daily. But yes I am surprized and pleased to say excited that the Black and White Blood that runs through my veins has had a huge tonic with the potential they have brought to the club during this transfer window.
    I am not a Pardew fan nor never will be as I honestly think he lacks class and his ego is bordering arrogance in my opinion.
    But I will be rooting for the Lads and hope all the talk is of the good performances on the pitch in the up coming season, not the excuses of why it went wrong.
    I want to see the passion back on the park, the pulse beating fast I can even handle defeats if the lads have tried hard.
    So yes I am ready Howay the Lads bring it on which is a nicer feeling I have now in my heart after it was ripped out last 6 months.

• toonfan96

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

This summer in terms of signings has been very exciting for all Newcastle fans. However I just have one problem with it all and that’s QUALITY. We’ve signed one player with premier league expierience, and he’s not a top top player he’s at a decent standard, not a game winner. I’m pleased with the janmaat and de Jong signings, but as far as the rest go… How much football have people seen then play?? Do they have it in them to perform in the toughest league in the world in their very first season?? Most foreign players don’t. Instead of signing 9 so called ‘bargains’ why not 4-5 top quality players who we know will perform. One of those should have been a CB! It’s time to spend 10-15 million on a rock at the back and that’s been the case for the past 5 seasons! Although I beleive our increase in squad depth will get us through this season I don’t see it being a huge success like many other toon fans.. Not with a defense like ours.. Cheers lads