What Are Newcastle’s Priorities This Season?

You cannot question the enthusiasm that 24 year-old Remy Cabella has brought to Newcastle this summer, and like every other player who has arrived in this summer’s transfer window,he seems to be delighted to have signed on for Newcastle United.

remy cabella at st james

Remy Cabella – delighted to be on Tyneside

And this is what Remy has said in the Mail today:

“I hope we can win a cup this season. We play for that to win a trophy,’ “There is a good feeling in the team at the moment and my adaptation is good. I have friends who are French and I am very happy to be here. I am just waiting for the first game now.’

Cabella’s ambitions bring us to a good question for this season –  what are our priorities?

Will it continue to be to (only) concentrate on the Premier League, since that’s where we get the big money – £79.5M last May for finishing in 10th place last season.

Or will Alan Pardew start to field stronger teams in the two local cup competitions, in order to end our duck as far as winning trophies goes  – with that duck lasting 46 years since we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup back in 1969, when I was still a young lad at Newcastle University.

Alan Pardew has used the cup competitions to give the fringe players and the youngsters a first team game,  since he arrived on Tyneside, and that policy is being dictated by owner Mike Ashley, whose number one goal for Newcastle seems to be to stay in the Premier League.

But players want to win things, so why don’t Newcastle formally change their policy and go after the local cup competitions next season, and with the squad we will have, we can certainly win one of those local cup competitions and finally break our 46 year-old duck.

Newcastle seem to be showing some real ambition int his summer’s transfer window – so why not extend it to what we want to achieve next season.

Go for it.

I’m taking our dog Milo for his morning walk now, and hopefully Newcastle will announce the signing of those two young Nottingham Forest players before we get back, and that would take our spending, by our reckoning, to £35M this summer.

Below are our three social media sites:

• dannitoon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

We must be going for a top 7 finish and two good cup runs… as long as its good viewing that’d do me this season..

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

19toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

TTVVT
    In all fairness it was just media hearsay that we had a fee agreed wasn’t it?
    Or was it confirmed?

Anyway if it’s not going to happen move on to the next target, Pardew seems to of closed the door on the deal anyway

On the Pearce article
    Think it’s a bit harsh to say he was dead against them joining us Ed, he just seems aggrieved about the fee, also given how highly rated the two players are think he had to say something to keep the peace amongst the fans!
    He’s got them back for the season would be great to see Physco mount a promotion push and get Forset back in the league

• Novocastrian66

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Dannitoon; agree.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Live this lad btw, class act can’t wait to see him and De Jong tearing it up for the toon!

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM

@FourFourTwo: TALENTSPOTTER Everything you need to know about #NUFC new boy Emmanuel Riviere (by @JFfutbol) http://t.co/QLolmWO8Py http://t.co/EiFP6OK1ui

Good read

• dubzy

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM

6th – 8th… semi final-final of 1 of the cups would be nice

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM

@toondownsouth

I read that there had been 4 clubs whose offers had to be accepted because the asking price was met.
    Liverpool and ourselves were two of the teams mentioned.

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Israeli Fan

Can you explain to me then how Gaza has shrunk over the years becoming smaller and smaller? I’m intrigued seeing as you live 25km

I hope he hasn’t been fed BS otherwise he’ll soon realise what he’s in for.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

TTVVT
    Oh aye mate not disputing it was in the papers but i read about 3 different fees ranging from £8-15 mil just saying it has been officially confirmed a fee was accepted and haven’t seen we even really entered talks so not a sure bet we’ve had a fee accepted
    Not that it makes any difference tbh for whatever reason it looks like a non deal

• martoon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The way I see it is if Remy wanted to come here he would be here by now – so let’s move on. I appreciate the goals he scored for us and bare him no ill will but on the other hand I do not want a player who comes to us as a last resort and does not really want to be here.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM

COMMENTS POLICY

The purpose of the comments is simply to allow Newcastle supporters around the world to express their views on the news of the day regarding Newcastle United.

Please respect the views of others, even when those views are completely opposite to what you think and believe.

And please keep the language respectable, as we are proud to have young supporters reading this blog, and finally there’s no place for religion or politics in these discussions.

Many Thanks.

Ed Harrison.

He’s said he has no interest in discussing the conflict and wants to stick to football so why not shut the f** k up about it instead if trying to goad a reaction for no other reason than to start an argument not even a debate?

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I think most would prefer we discussed ‘Gazza’ over ‘Gaza’.

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM

We have to be positive.

Go for Champions League even though it is extremely difficult almost impossible given the teams now at the top table.

Go for both cups even though it can be the luck of the draw.

Realistically, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal are ahead of us.

Liverpool have lost Suarez who was a major influence. How much this will impact them only time will tell. Man Utd are in the process of rebuilding and should see some familiar faces exit. Both these teams I feel are capable of a place in the Champions League but also missing out.

I feel that Everton are the dark horse but I feel that we can finish above them.

All the other teams will be below us.

• Kindofgoodkindofbad

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

this is the team id like to see against city

Krul

Janmaat Taylor Collocini Dummett

Sissoko Tiote

Cabella De Jong Aarons

Riviere

Bench: Elliot, Haidara, MYM, Colback, Anita, Gouffran, Ferrya

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Slank
    Lost Suarez? Howay man they’ve signed Ricky Lambert they’ll be pushing for the title!

• lesh

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Just listened to Psycho’s comments on the sale of players – decision made over his hear, expected to have final say on transfers – he’s not a happy bunny.

The owner’s said he’ll make a statement this afternoon and explain the deal.

Might we expect him to a announce Pearce’s departure?

If he did leave, Pearce’d be a helluva addition to our coaching staff – but that’s not gonna happen.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I said I’d pop back at some point in the summer…been reading comments every so often and while the mood seems to be more positive, it’s a shame to see some of the same old doom-mongering…

Some have said that we’re going to struggle because the same squad (plus Debuchy, Remy, LDJ) struggled in the second half of the season. I reckon they lost motivation as the main man (Cabaye) went in Jan…meaning we had virtually no chance of qualifying for Europe and virtually no chance of getting relegated.

I prefer to think of the squad that was riding high in the first half of the season. Consider this:
    SDJ replaces Cabaye
    Riviere replaces Remy
    Janmaat replaces Debuchy
    Cabella replaces HBA (who barely played)
    Colback replaces Gosling (who barely played)
    Ferreyra replace Shola

Then we have players like Perez, Street, Arma, Campbell, Dummett, Haidara, Sammy, Aarons etc. who will be trying to break into the first team.

I think we need more time to build to challenge the top 5, but I’d really like to see us push Everton and Spurs and be somewhere in the 6th – 8th range. Hopefully we can get through a few rounds of the cups with rotation too…and then surely put out our first team if we’re into the quarters? Wishful thinking perhaps?

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

ToonDiwnSouth

Forgive me I forgot. They should not notice any difference, not.

• G

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Tads @ 14 Does Ricky Lambert have good teeth?

• martoon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

toonarmydownsouth @10 – Well said.
    On topic – I actually see the logic in prioritising the Premiership as that is where the money is but hopefully with a decent size squad this season and some decent emerging youngsters we’ll be able to give the cups a decent go as well

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

TADS

I was responding to the person that bought politics into this forum by stating his dislike for Joey Barton because of what he said on twitter. Then he/she decided to fuel the usual propaganda to justify his argument by trying to educate others on this blog by propelling the lies the Israeli government pushes upon the world….at that point I couldn’t stay quiet on the matter especially considering I have lost friends out there who have gone to help the Palestinian people over the years.

I’m happy you have reminded us of the blog rules but in that same paragraph you have used language which is unbecoming of the rules….not trying to be awkward or get a reaction but it’s a bit hypocritical!! I have lost innocent friends in that conflict and won’t accept what was being peddled on here 3 articles ago!! Sorry for any offence caused and I hope you understand my rational behind this!!

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

@Slank

Nice optimistic view. If the players share the same perhaps we can finish close to your predicition.

Personally; i think we can finish 6th. At best. Sorry…

Man Utd will be a completely different proposition under Van Gaal and they’re sure to sign a couple of world class players before the end of the summer. Vidal and Hummels are thought to be very close.

Arsenal have strengthened, thats obvious.

Chelsea and Man City go without saying.

Liverpool have lost Suarez but they’ve still got some great players and they’ve spent a Hell of a lot of money too.

I fancy them for 5th.

Like I say, i think we can get 6th, but it also means beating teams such as Everton and Spurs who have some talent in their squad, and more importantly they have tactically astute managers.

We may have brought in some good players but when push comes to shove, IMO we are lacking in the managerial position. I’d take any of the managers over Pardew from those 6 teams ive mentioned.

And don’t under estimate the part a manager can play.

Thats why i think finishing 6th for us would be an amazing season.

• lesh

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Our Toon

Much as I agree with your position over G***, it’s not the forum to discuss it.

Might pay to let it go and enjoy the news that a certain senior Tory (Farsi), has resigned from the government over it’s position on that subject that shan’t be mentioned on here.

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Back to footy:

Slank – do you not think Spurs are ahead of us as well?

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    2 Manchester clubs
    Liverpool
    Spurs

I think all of them are ahead of us so I’d be expecting 8th

• Mr Funk

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

@ Our toon

I agree with your sentiments but it is best to leave politics off this blog and Israeli fan should have done so in the first place.

• martoon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

TDSarf – long time no read – how the devil are you?
    I agree with you about league position – I see there being an upper echelon of the top five and then a group of about another 5 teams which hopefuly includes us, Spurs, Everton etc. which hopefully we can be top of 🙂

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Lesh

Sorry mate I know it’s not the right forum but I couldn’t bite my tongue anymore!! Sorry if I have offended others but I won’t apologise for offending Israeli fan….at least we have 1 thing in common though and that’s the Toon!!

• Mr Funk

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

When do the accounts for last year come out?

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

martoon

Good thanks mate. In fact, it’s my birthday today! 🙂 And my brother is getting married on Friday! 🙂 🙂

Is life good for you too?

Not sure about the 5 other teams to be honest. I think there are 5 other big teams (us, Spurs, Everton, Villa and dirty monkey mackems) but the latter two have been underachieving for years. I reckon there will be a few clubs hoping to get top 10 and you never know if a club can overachieve when a few players turn out to be stars (like Saints) or they just play bloody well as a unit (Stoke or Palace).

• israeli_fan

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM

you didnt offended me, it ok ourtoon, lets talk only about our common interest- NUFC!

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Our Toon

I completely forgot about Spurs. That must be significant !

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM

ToonDarnSarf

Happy birthday mate and welcome back, although we had some differences in the past it’s always nice to have a different perspective which can be an eye opener…hope you brothers wedding goes well

• Slank

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

T T V V T

Yes, I think 6th place is achievable too, with a favourable wind !

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Slank

The new manager will have a positive affect on them this season, I think they might surprise a few this year

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

israeli_fan

For the second time this morning well done mate.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

TDS – how the business going – good of you to pop in with a post (decent for once) when you are such a busy business man.

• jimmysmith

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Certainly Newcastle have a decent chance of finishing among a group including Everton and Spurs seeing as they both will also have Europe to contend with, as will Liverpool, although they have some wonderful players and a top manager. Man U under Van Gaal with money to invest will surely finish in the top four and purely focusing on the league, could quite conceivably win it.

• firebug666

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I’m really looking forward to seeing how we will line up this season for the league games, and seeing who is left over to play the cup games.

With enough quality for the early cup games we may look to getting into a finale.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Our Toon

Thanks mate. I’ve no problem with differences at all, just gets a bit much when it gets personal and when people are immovable in discussions, yet flip-flop when it suits them. You know who I mean… 😉

I’m pretty impressed with the recruitment policy this summer I have to say. Although (and this will make you laugh), I’ve found myself disagreeing with a few people who seem to think it’s been an amazing window and we’re going to push the top 4. We’ve done a good and proper job, but we’d need a stonking good season from the lads to get top 6, let alone top 4! 6/10 for the window from me but 10/10 based on the average fans’ expectations I reckon!

• Mr Funk

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

What will be the team for tonight

Any thoughts?