Newcastle Is A Club Looking To Go Places

We’ve been impressed with Jack Colback since he arrived at his home town club, and Jack seems a sensible lad – obviously delighted to be playing at Newcastle – but we also like the Geordie’s ambition – and he seems to think that Newcastle United also have ambitions – and he’s said today it’s a club looking to go places.

jack colback b&w

Jack Colback – looks like a very good acquisition so far

Jack didn’t make this stuff up, and we have to say that Newcastle’s business in this summer’s transfer market has been very good – excellent in fact so far.

Newcastle have brought both good players in, but are also looking to the future – with signings like Ayoze Perez and the two Nottingham Forest youngsters – assuming that deal is eventually announced.

This is what Jack has said today:

“We’ve got to be looking at a minimum top-10 finish and then push on to get around the Tottenhams and Evertons and be able to compete against the top four or five teams, not just going out looking not to lose.¨

“The signings the manager has brought in – coupled with the players already here – will give us the chance to do that I think and it’s looking good.”  “There might be a bit more pressure due to the fact I’ve come from Sunderland.¨

¨I’ve got to try to turn the fans’ heads at Newcastle and win them over. It’s something I’m relishing.”  “Newcastle is a huge club and it was a massive opportunity for me to come here.¨ “I have come to play for my hometown club – the club my family has supported and I have supported. ¨

¨That was the biggest thing. It’s a club looking to go places.¨ “I live in Newcastle, so most of the people I have seen have been Newcastle fans and they have just wished me all the best.¨ “I know in myself I can improve my game. This is the next step in my career and I have come here to be successful.”

If we include Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow from Nottingham Forest for £7M, we have signed nine players for around £35M – according to our estimates – when was the last time we did that?

Here are the official deals we have done with players come in with estimates of how much they cost:

PlayerFeeClub
Ayoze Perez£1.4MTenerife
Jack ColbackFreeSunderland
Siem de Jong£6MAjax
Remy Cabella£8MMontpellier
Emmanuel Riviere£6MMonaco
Daryl Janmaat£5MFeyenoord
Facundo Ferreyra£1.6M - Season LoanShakhtar Donetsk
Jamaal Lascelles£4MNottingham Forest
Karl Darlow£3MNottingham Forest

But there are still 26 days left in this transfer window, and there is still time and money available to make a couple of stellar signings.

Newcastle are still said to be interested in Lyon players Alexandre Lacazette and Clement Grenier, and striker Loic Remy is unlikely to stay for next season at QPR.

And we are also being linked with top Celtic Center-back Virgil van Dijk, so if we can sign two of those four players, it would amount to decent enough evidence that Newcastle do have  some ambition to become a top five club again.

That cannot be bad.

Below are our three social media sites:

• santonthenewmaldini

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM

The ginger ninja is giving the big talk before the season starts !Its good to have someone passionate about playing for the Toon would rather listen to him than Taylor spouting nonsense !Sometimes feel he just says stuff just to keep the fans onside because he has been stealing a living off us for the last 10 years !!

Just watching Celtic tonight they will be lucky to get 3 million for Dick Van Dyke based on this performance !!!

• santonthenewmaldini

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM

@Martoon

Seen that gutted we never got Lasogga actually think he would be amazing in the premiership although I suspect Chucky or Rivierre is the plan B for him

Would be amazing if we did get Lacazette might still happen

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Why in the hell aren’t the two Forest players confirmed by the club!!??? WTF HAS HAPPENED THERE!!?? I am a bit worried now that maybe another club has cone in to jick them from us? It’s either that or as they are being loaned back to Forest the club won’t bother showing them holding the NUFC shirt with Pards. I wish the club would just come out and announce it already it’s doing my head in!

• toonicle

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Would rather us focus on a CB right now instead of getting Lacazette or another striker.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Sod the defence. Get Remy and Grenier in before the city game.

• Markaccus

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Fee agreed for Lacazette according to twitters resident buffoon (colin)

• santonthenewmaldini

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM

@JP from the Rock

Yeah I am starting to get a little worried about that as well just worry that say someone like Arsenal or Liverpool have came in and offered the same deal or a higher transfer fee and we have lost out !

• lordy_geordie

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I would want Richards or Shawcross if we get a CB

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I haven’t heard ‘asset stripping’ for a while.

• nufcismylife

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Been on this blog for few years now and this my first comment, so here we go. I’m happy with the deals we done so far but we deff need a big commanding centre back to take control and take the lead then I would be happy to see how we get on this season

• uggy

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM

12 million from debuchy , 20 million from cabaye

by my count we have spent 3 million so far … even the scum down the round have spent 10 million on rodwell (who we were offered and refused) and they didn’t have to sell all there best players to fund it either.

How does this translate into ambition ? Surely we should be using the 50 odd million broadcasting revenue (or whatever it is) to strengthen?

Dont lap up this shite and buy into this aiming for top 6 nonsense we have replaced outgoing players with younger (less experienced) players so we can turn a profit on them when they inevitably leave in a season or 2.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM

We are not going places until we have an experienced striker worth 15 to 20 goals a season plus a solid centre back. We could also do with an alternative playmaker. If sdj is injured we will rely to heavily on cabella. Then our final weakness is left back as the options we have are all better coming forward than defending. BUT there’s a lot to be happy with. The players brought in have real potential. If the find their feet quickly we could have a good season.

• kilcline

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM

@JP

They will sign mate, don’t worry 😉

Richards and a striker are needed now.

We would have spent eff all net, Cabaye and debuchy money has funded this activity.

• YankeeToon

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM

@soccersauce has been all over newcastles summer transaction…this is the new one

Hearing tonight that Newcastle have placed a revised cash plus player offer to Lyon for Alexandre Lacazette.More on this as we get it #NUFC

• YankeeToon

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I am assuming benny is the player if thats to be believed

• djproof

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM

uggy
    Yes your right that so far 3 mill has only been spent but we still have 20 – 30 mill available for players if the 50 – 60 mill quoted in the press is to be believed. Considering we are still in for Lacazette, Grenier, Remy and De Vrij shows we still have money available.
    I’m also worried about the 2 Nottingham Forest players, they were apparently here Monday for medicals. I’m just hoping we are trying to change the terms of the agreement for LASCELLES and he comes straight here.

• ganiyu

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM

facundo ferreyra is the best striker at the club currently and must start against real sociedad.

• murvar

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM

As far as I’m aware Grenier is still on that plane to Newcastle that he was seen boarding about 4 days ago.

• djproof

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM

lol Murvar
    If reports are to believed a 15 mill deal has been agreed for Lacazette just personal terms to be agreed.

• SUFC_rule

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Yeah…to the Championship

• djproof

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

SUFC
    Can’t even get your team initials right pmsl, say no more!
    What are you even doing on a Newcastle blog, no bins to raid tonight.

• SUFC_rule

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Jack Rodwell is better than all your new signings combined. Colback will be begging to come back to Sunderland

• djproof

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM

@ SUFC
    Ha ha ha have you honestly heard how ridiculous you sound. He is a good player if he stays fit but still won’t have match practice for at least a month. I’m happy with the Jack we got for free.
    Besides jealousy will get you nowhere lol!
    I’m not even going to start with your threadbare squad, panic buys, or Borini.

• SUFC_rule

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:36 PM

You are jealous of the quality Sunderland have brought in

• dcdick

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Hey ho, Hey ho off to the dole you go……………………..

Pardew Out !!!

• SUFC_rule

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Bring Bobby Robson out of retirement to replace Pardew

• stephen1971

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM

i can,t understand why you,s think we,ve only spent 3 mill ??????? does that mean we got cabaye and debuchy for free ? your forgeting we had to pay over 10 mill for them ,