The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Already Have Injury Problems

9:05 am, Thursday, August 7th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

For one reason or another, Newcastle players always seem to pick up a lot of hamstring injuries, and we are finding out today why Cheick Tiote was not even in the squad on Tuesday night for our game at Huddersfield Town.

Cheick Tiote wednesday-3

Cheick Tiote in action at Sheffield Wednesday

Cheick was late in returning to pre-season training because of his participation in the World Cup with the Ivory Coast, and so far he’s played only 60 minutes of football at Sheffield Wednesday last week.

But the Shields Gazette is today reporting it’s their understanding he has a hamstring strain.

Cheick wasn’t involved in any action in the two game in Gelsenkirchen, Germany over the weekend, and he is not expected to be in the squad for the home game against Real Sociedad on Sunday, which is our eighth and final pre-season game, in what’s been a tough schedule.

So at the moment  it’s touch and go whether he has a chance to play in the game against Manchester City on Sunday, August 17th, and hamstring problems can be dodgy if players try to come back too early.

We expect the Newcastle medics to be ultra cautious with a player who is important to the Newcastle team, and the last thing they will want to do is play him too early, and have him damage the hamstring further and be out for several weeks.

However, Newcastle do have some cover in defensive midfield with both Jack Colback and Vurnon Anita, and Moussa Sissoko played there a lot when he was at Toulouse.

If Cheick cannot make the Manchester City game, we could see newcomer Jack Colback make his competitive debut in defensive midfield a week on Sunday.

Siem de Jong is also out injured at the moment with some kind of toe injury, but we are hoping the Dutchman can start on Sunday against Real Sociedad, and it will be important for Newcastle to keep Siem fit this season.

Siem can score quite a few goals for us with the tremendous skill he has already shown at Newcastle, but last season at Ajax he had an injury ravaged season.

We are hoping that doesn’t repeat itself this season, and we are also hoping we can keep the number of injuries down to a manageable level.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Injuries · Newcastle News · Siem de Jong

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jeff from Benwell // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Ian
    I have always thought that Jail is a know nowt wum.
    Virtually every post he makes reveals that he knows sfa about football , you get them on every sports blog.

I acknowledge we need a CH but I will repeat again and again it must be an existing or returning EPL defender. Look how long it took Colo to bed in.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Jeff,
    Do you use this blog solely to abuse those that don’t agree with your one tracked mind set.

• 3 JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER) // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM

richyg01

some1 said pics wer taken wen dutch was in semifinals

• 4 Jeff from Benwell // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Jail
    Not at all
    You don’t have an opinion just an agenda.
    How can you have an opinion on football when you don’t have the least idea what it’s about

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I see Vukic has taken over Sholas 23 shirt. Hardly a startling endorsement of his future career :D

• 6 JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER) // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

hmmmm but guess we neva signd rivere…cabelaa during the wc . may 3rd would highlight krul….an others

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Jeff,
    How can you say I know nothing about a game I have followed for over 35 years, and because I respond to the posts of people supporting Ashley does not mean all my posts are about his neglect of our club.

• 8 Jeff from Benwell // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Jail
    Every post you do reveals your lack of football knowledge .
    You’re a fake fan and you’ve been outed.
    Take it on the chin it doesn’t make you a bad person , just a sad person.

• 9 lordy_geordie // Aug 7, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Jeff, i find it quite alarming that you would insult or belittle your fellow geordie supporters. We all share the same passion. No need to target others views. I would like to leave the childish behaviour to tht sunderland troll. Whts his name? Nva mind he is not important enough to remember

• 10 one Tony Green // Aug 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

@ Jeff from Benwell. This site is a love in for arm chair fans. Virtually none of them follow Newcastle at home never mind away. I have no doubt I will get the usual just because you dont go to matches does not mean your not a fan. Well actually it does. Bit like people who don’t vote then moan about the government.

• 11 Davies // Aug 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

One Tony Green – seriously?
    We’re a big club with an international fan base.
    You’re saying fans’ opinions from, say, Singapore are less valid than yours because it’s geographically more convenient for you to get to the matches?

• 12 HoboToon // Aug 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM

SINGAPORE fan right here and i live, breathe and eat nufc for breakfast lunch and dinner! Fan since kindergarten mate and have been made fun of so much for not supporting a “big” club like everyone else in Singapore! But sticking with my club thorugh evrything and that is what fan is

• 13 mag4life // Aug 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Been following this blog for years now but it’s my first post. Like the user above I’m a toon fan from Singapore and trust me there are some others like me down here who are just as passionate about our club as you guys living in the city itself. For those of you who think we aren’t really fans of the club cause we do not make it to every home game, let me tell you guys something. I fly thousands of miles every season without fail to watch my team at st. James’s park every season, I can only afford it once a season, I buy every home kit since the time I started following the toon in season 96/97 when we finished 13the. What I’m saying is do not belittle fans from abroad, we love the club as much as you guys do.

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Aug 8, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Right ! Since i,ve been on this blog, there have always been people on here slagging other people off for being so called ” Armchair Fans “? I think its F….. Childish ? If thats going to be the mentality then youcould call me an armchair fan too? I was born in Shields for F………..sake! Bollocks to anyone on here with that mind set!

previous post: New Striker Already Tired – He’ll Get Used To It