After a rather hectic pre-season this summer, Newcastle complete their preparations for the start of the Premier League with their first and only home game of pre-season, when we take on Real Sociedad on Sunday at 1:30 pm.
Alan Pardew – it’s about getting ready for first league game
We have two injuries, both of which are said to be slight – Siem de Jong is nursing a toe injury and Cheick Tiote has a hamstring problem.
While Siem is expected to play on Sunday, we wouldn’t be surprised if Checik misses the game and it seems he is only touch and go for our first game of the season at home to Manchester City a week on Sunday.
New signing Daryl Janmaat will also start on Sunday, since he’s only had 60 minutes of playing time so far with Newcastle.
Alan Pardew has talked about last pre-season game to nufcTV:
“It’s about getting ready for the week after.” “I’ll still make a lot of substitutions in that game; it’s really about building for Sunday week.”
“Janmaat’s a class player.” “He’s going to be a great player for us.” “It was nice to get that 60 minutes under his belt. He’ll play on Sunday and hopefully be ready if he comes through without an injury.”
On another subject, it was announced by Newcastle United yesterday that they will pay formal tribute to the two fans – John Alder and Liam Sweeney – who lost their lives in the Malaysian air disaster in Ukraine on July 17th.
Here’s what the club announced:
- The two captains Fabricio Coloccini and Vincent Kompany will lay wreaths at the center circle before the kick-off, accompanied by representatives from John and Liam’s families
- Jimmy Montgomery, the fomrer Sunderland goalkeeper will be there to represent Sunderland, whose supporters’ have made a fantastic effort at fund raising on behalf of the two Geordie fans, and Newcastle will recognize that magnificent effort by Sunderland and their fans
- A minute’s silence will be observed before the game.
- Newcastle have created The Alder Sweeney Community Award in their memory, and the award will recognize the efforts of an individual or organisation in the North East who have s made an outstanding contribution in their community
- There will also be an Alder Sweeney Memorial Garden which will be situated outside the main entrance to the Milburn Stand. This garden will be officially unveiled in a ceremony, on a date and time to be announced, but prior to the Club’s home fixture against Crystal Palace
Newcastle United have responded to the tragic deaths of two of their most faithful fans with a lot of class.
Below are our three social media sites: