Newcastle 1 Real Sociedad 0 – Video Highlights

Thanks to Real Sociedad TV – here are the video highlights from yesterday’s final pre-season game against Sociedad – which the lads won 1-0.

Below are our three social media sites:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Repost
    OTG,
    I’m not sure there has been anything glorious about our failures the last couple of seasons! I agree on Aarons, he shouldn’t be starting against City. Possibly start to give him 20/30 mins here and there against the lesser sides but performing in a few friendlies means nowt.

On the line up; Can’t see either Tiote or De Jong playing next week. Unless we have another second string friendly where they can get a bit of game time in. City will be far stronger next week, although I don’t know how many of their Argentine players will be back in action.

Krul is obvious. Most agree on the defence, mainly down to a lack of real competition, not because they are all stand out defenders. I imagine Pardew will line up with Colback and Anita in the middle, then Sissoko, Cabella and Riviere or Goofy. Up top it will either be Chucky or Riviere.

Put Obertan on the bench, his pace alone is enough to cause problems in the latter stages of a match. We can utilise this IF it is still close come the hour mark. I don’t like our chances of it still being close though, so more likely to see Dummet come on at that stage. Alan does love his left backs.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I think the problem in defense is also down to a reluctance to change things unless he has to!

…it’s not because he sees opportunities! We do need a cover for Janmaat (we are not going to get a new CB)

I have no problems playing Aarons especially at home – it will be good for just be wary about the big games!

• Ethiotoon

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM

A little problem I noticed is that we gave too much space and playing time for our opponents. we haven’t been compact yet.that should be amended next week otherwise we will torn apart like Dortmund.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM

And for some reason Colo and Mbiwa don’t seem to be a match

• martoon

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Markaccus – if you are around this morning I never answered your question from last night about our play.
    It was difficult to judge as the match had the air of a friendly with the mass subs in the second half. I think people are being harsh on Gouffran – he got a whack in the first half which obviously affected him and he went off at half time. Cabella looked good and Janmaat class. Riviere was busy without ever looking like he would score. However our pattern of play looked better with virtually no long balls – I’m confident we will step up against City but Tiote and De Jong will be a big miss.

• firebug666

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM

OTG

Glorious Failure? Dwelling on the past is not looking forward to the future. I’m not sure this season will be a failure mate, but who knows.

I prefer “Cautious Optimism” for this season. We have brought in some very good players (not enough mind) and if they gel we could have a very good team this season. I can understand the doom and gloom that many of us fans still cling to like a life raft, but this is a new season with new players and a quiet air of confidence is building around SJP.

Time now to stop clinging to the life raft, climb in sit down open a bottle of Brown Ale and cheer the new boys in black & white on.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Jesper,
    It is worrying why the club insist on only having one RB at the club, people can say all day long that we have players who can cover there, but unless Janmaat avoids injury and suspension all season then the defence will be a little more suspect than it already is.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I posted something about our formation yesterday to address the distance there seem to be between our def, mid and att.

Arsenal’s approach against Citeh in the community shield holds the answer I think.

A 4-1-4-1 with someone protecting the defense and wide pushing up and falling down in mid when needed. Keeps the mid tight and ever are they suppose to babysit the fullbacks.

It’s just counterproductive and you need a marathon sprinter to keep that up.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Good start to the season aye! No tiote, Siem’s lookin doubtful and goofys got a knock! Yay!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Jail…and only having one recognized RB don’t give you options because you will always play the recognized fullback unless your hands are forced!

…it will be reactive instead of proactive. I know for some these are just fancy words, but they make a h#$% of a difference 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Yesterdays
    match thought the lads did ok. most noticeble change I noticed a lot more movement off the ball some good interlinking play up to the edge of the box then it tended to break down.
    Janmaat – absolute class, Cabella looks a bit lightweight but has some nice touches and gets about the park and wants the ball, Riviere looks OK, Colback started shakily but got better as the game went on. Aarons looks a star in the making – a bit raw at the moment.
    Very little hoofball – mainly came from Krul – whose distribution is still poor.

I think we still need a centre forward and a commanding centre half.

But all-in-all I am quite optimistic for the forthcoming season.

• beermonkey

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM

average

did the gazette have to pay for those words from pardew

• Rotonda heights

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM

It’s quite ironic that Ash has inadvertently given what a lot of people wanted and banned the press.
    No more ”Pardish” – grass, science against us or the best one yet ”the players were too hyped up”

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM

one tg previous thread there was no hype about richardson he was a 20 y old playing in local football. lesh on prev lacazette plays for lyon and as pointed out yesterday scored but most do from penalty spot. both he and grenier are over rated and the question should be why were we after them in the first place.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Firebug

I like my life raft mate do I have to let go? But don’t worry I’ll be cheering the lads on in my usual manic way whilst getting told to calm down by the wife because my kids look terrified as I scream and shout at the telly (i don’t go to games anymore because of fatty and his puppet) then proceed to have a mood on if we lose but hey ho

• Jeff from Benwell

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM

This French news source is saying BenArfa was wrapped in cotton wool this weekend because he’s off to Everton.
    According to them , Martinez is going to change HBA back to an out and out striker, which if you think about it for a few seconds isn’t as daft as it first seems

It would obviate his biggest criticism , that he doesn’t cover his full back.
    The thought of HBA and Lukaku in tandem is quite intriguing.

• firebug666

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Average_Contents

LMAO. I am exactly the same mate, I watch the games with my headphones on and when we score my yells of celebration come out of the blue leaving our last and the kids looking like they just survived a bomb blast as there stair in shocked surprise with open mouths and wide eyes.

I don’t think any of them are as surprised as I am when we score. As for the raft, like I said just climb in and relax a while. Rather than doom and gloom before we kick a ball in anger I was pointing out that this season is a good season for Cautious Optimism instead of Glorious Failure.

Maybe the Glorious Failure was just my analogy.