Newcastle Likely To Do Well With Improved Squad

Newcastle’s Lee Charnley has been impressive in being able to close deals for Newcastle this summer, and there are reports that owner Mike Ashley has been a  lot more involved in the club’s transfer business this summer, than he has been in the past.

Remy Cabella huddersfield

Remy Cabella – Newcastle’s top singing so far this summer

Newcastle have so far brought in nine good players, and the club immediately loaned back to Nottingham Forest their two players – defender Jamaal Lascelles and goalkeeper Karl Darlow – they are ones for the future.

Here are the players we have brought in.

PlayerFeeClub
Ayoze Perez£1.4MTenerife
Jack ColbackFreeSunderland
Siem de Jong£6MAjax
Remy Cabella£8MMontpellier
Emmanuel Riviere£6MMonaco
Daryl Janmaat£5MFeyenoord
Facundo Ferreyra£1.6M - Season LoanShakhtar Donetsk
Jamaal Lascelles£4MNottingham Forest
Karl Darlow£3MNottingham Forest

Alan Pardew must lead Newcastle to  a much better season than he has in the last two campaigns, and the pressure is on the Londoner to produce the goods.

Alan himself seems pleased at what Newcastle have achieved in the transfer window, and he had this to say in the program notes for yesterday’s game:

“The squad we have assembled going into this campaign is healthy in numbers, experience and quality, and that is all any manager can ask for when he is looking ahead to a long arduous Premier League marathon.”

“We came up short last season, but everyone has worked hard to ensure we have a team that will represent the club in a fitting manner.” “I am relishing what lies ahead. The new signings give our team more potency.”

We’ve lost Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Loic Remy from last year’s squad, but players like Daryl Janmaat, Siem de Jong, Jack Colback, Remy Cabella and Manu Riviere make up for those lost French stars.

A criticism, which is probably fair enough, is that hardly any of our new players have any Premier League experience – except Jack Colback – who has been really impressive in pre-season, and the lad seems to be inspired when he plays for his home town club.

That’s fair comment about the lack of PL experience with our new players, but they are all good technical players and want to be at Newcastle United, and we should be more a lot more menacing up front, than we were earlier this year after Yohan Cabaye left the club.

Whether we can break into the top six or not next season is a good question – but we are pleased with the summer transfer business – so far.

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• firebug666

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I agree with Alan that the squad looks better, the question is. Is Alan Pardrew tactically astute enough to bring it all together?

Having great players is one thing, gelling them, playing to their strengths and creating tactics that give us the best chance against the opposition is quite another thing.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Firebug

Sounds eerily familiar lol

Beermonkey

Unfortunately once the season kicks in I’m pretty sure he and the club are obliged by the premier league to conduct post and pre-match conferences and more so if we are shown on SKY/BT so his mug albeit unfortunately will be thrust in our faces wirh the usual excuses lol

• Rotonda heights

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Even under pardew, with the influx of so many new players I don’t think we could possibly do any worse, other than from the fact we still have a massive CB problem.

If we can get SDJ on the pitch and the ball to Cabella then top 10 should be the absolute minimum requirement.

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I know I will get called a moaner but I don’t think it is an improved squad.

We still have the same issues we’ve had for years and that is the lack of a dominant CB, a settled proven goal scorer and strength in depth in key areas.

I would like to think the correct terminology is to say we have upgraded, but even that remains to be seen.

I’m glad there is optimism abound but here in reality I predict another eventful season, with good and awful results and a finish between 8th-12th (if we steer clear of injuries, otherwise I think a flirtation with the bottom 8).

Hope to be proven wrong.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM

That quote sounds like it’s been polished up by the club like they used to with JFK’s statements….maybe it’s a sign of things to come

Money money money

• beermonkey

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM

average

I think your right

wernt they constantly fining Ferguson because he refused to talk to the bbc for ages

just spoke to an everton fan I know and he doesn’t think anything will come of benny to them although he is hope as he likes benny

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

It’s not better than when we had cabaye and remy but perhaps close to on a par, we still need an experienced striker and a centre back. Until that happens I don’t see s lot to get excited about. If ashley does that I will take my hat off to him.

• WestOzMag

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM

From what i saw yesterday i’d say 8th-9th at best with an improvement of 1 spot on the table. Until we get that moron pardew out then nothing will change.

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Usually when Pards mentions that the first 8-10 games will shape a season I think he is talking rubbish (and usually he is) but this season I must say that the first 8 games are certainly a season shaper.

If we have any ambitions for top 8 (or as Pards says Champions League) we should be by rights be in the top 6 after the first 8 games as plenty of those matches should see us get results.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Beermonkey

I don’t think they fined him as it’s only live games they are contractually obliged to provide soundbites for and as the BBC only showed cup games he always got his assistants to provide this

I don’t think he ever refused sky or the other broadcasters like satanta, espn or bt but I could be wrong

• dcdick

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Never get anywhere with this cockney idiot running the team

Pardew Out !!!

• toon kk

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

From what I saw yesterday we badly miss Remy, and a quality CB is a must.
    I know it was just a friendly but we have a lot of improving to do or we’ll be in trouble. Aaron gives us a lift.

• mindshaft

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Decent replacements for cabaye and debuchy, addition of siem de jong, can Riviere replace Remy though ? Colback can definitely do a job and Perez / Ferryman look decent additions
    Would still like to see a pacy CB and a striker although a CB is needed most of all

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Ben Arfa for me is the one player that could be the difference between top 10 and top 6 so for that reason I hope we keep him.

However I would agree that playing under Pardew he could be the difference between top 10 and bottom 8.

I just wish we could find a system that could accommodate him.

If he goes to Everton and is used right, I predict top 5 for them at least.

• 70TWO

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM

If true, the one good thing about HBA going to Everton and potentially doing well in a striking role will only serve to highlight the ineptitude of our own manager.

The numbers in the squad may not have improved but I would guess the amount paid in wages has risen which you would hope reflects an improvement in quality throughout the squad. Still the same old tactics tho, ‘stop the opposition scoring and rely on individual moment of magic to score’.

Positive from yesterdays match was that players were willing and able to take and hold the ball under pressure, two banks of 4 were disciplined and new players look to have something about them. Negatives team lacked ability to pass the ball and move forward as a unit, defense beaten easily by through balls and Sissoko was very much involved throughout the match but frequently lost the ball easily (….and didn’t track back – another scapegoat in the making).

Potential for the team to finish mid table and do better in cup competitions, but I do not expect P45due will deliver any further improvement. He will be allowed to talk to Sky/Sun and I doubt he will keep his promise to sit down more.

• MassiveG

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Let’s tack in a sell-on clause on Ben Arfa then if Martinez makes him a monster then we’ll get some good dosh

• magpiefifer

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Three things concern me – the lack of signing a central defender; the lack of Prem league experience of most the new signings;and Pardew’s ability to handle both players and tactics.
    I know a lot of fans are really pleased with the Summer activity,but I’d rather have seen steady recruitment over the past 2 years so that there would be an easier gelling of new players into the squad.
    We are in for an interesting season!!!

• dannitoon

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

“Likely” is as much good as “should”

• Looney_Toons

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

My analysis of this transfer window: After losing Remy, Cabaye and Debuchy, we’ve replaced them with Riviere, Cabella, S. De Jong, Janmaat and Colback.

SO… we’ve let 3 stars leave and brough in 5. For me S. De Jong (if fit) can be as influential as Cabaye add in Cabella for some flair and Colback to hold guard and that’s a pretty good start to a competitive midfield.

Janmaat is underrated in my eyes, he’s as good if not better than Debuchy (and younger) – you all wait and see!

Riviere’s stats at Monaco are impressive also, he stepped up when Falcao got injured and linked up really well with James Rodriguez, I am hoping he can do the same with Cabella.

Looking forward to this season!