Newcastle Striker Target Explains Why He’s Not Coming

It’s probably bad news that Alexandre Lacazette has stated that he will stay at Lyon for next season, and the 23 year-old Lyon striker has expanded on why he told French TV channel Canal yesterday that he would stay at Lyon for next season.

Alexandre Lacazette 987

Alexandre Lacazette – explains why he will stay at Lyon

This is what Alexandre has said:

“Why do I want to stay? Because I am happy at Lyon. Lyon is a nice club, a nice city and a nice project.¨ “There have been propositions from everywhere but after a lot of thinking, I decided it was better to stay.¨

“We will see at the end of the season if I was right, but I think I have made the right decision.¨ “Now, at the start of the season, I can’t think that I will score more goals than Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but I want to try.¨

¨One day I hope to be a great striker like him.”

This will be good news and bad news for the Lyon club.

It’s good news because Alexandre has said he will stay for next season, but it’s potentially bad news because next summer he will only have one year left on his contract, and unless Lyon can get him to sign a new contract – his transfer value will be less than it is this summer.

It could also be the same with Newcastle’s other Lyon target Clement Grenier, who has also made noises this summer at different times, about not wanting to leave Lyon.

We suppose Newcastle could turn to Loic Remy to try to get him to Newcastle this summer, or maybe a better option would be to try to get 22 year-old Arsenal striker Joel Campbell on loan for the season.

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• dufuss

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM

pull the plug

• pawl250

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Black and White

Called you idiots because you do not like Pardew?

Talk about plucking different things from different posts.

I did not do you the common courtesy of reading the remainder of your post as I never called people idiots for not like Pardew.

I would call myself an idiot in that case because I do not like Pardew….. I call people idiots for going to the extreme and using blind hatred.

Different thing altogether.

As stated I would change Pardew. I just do not judge or hate him as harshly as some. The guy is doing a job to the best of his ability, he doesnt deserve the abuse some people would/could give him.

He is also limited by the club in general.

Would he do better with better financial backing, yes.

Would he player more attractive football, debatable. Has he got players like Ozil, Ramsey, Carzola, Sanchez or Henry, Pires, Ljundberg like Wenger has?

Its a different caliber of players in the team. You cannot get a team playing attractive football all the time. Otherwise everyone would do it. Its not as simple as amending a formation etc….. the opposition are playing the game to stop you playing the way you are most comfortable etc.

Its possible we could keep it on the deck more but would it be more effective? I wonder would people like to see us possibly get beat every week to see our players play on the deck?

I can honestly say we do not have the mold of players to play tappy tap football. When I watch them, some of them can barely trap a ball.

Again its limited what he can do, some people expect managers to perform miracles. If you do not have great players, or a good squad mentality then it will never work.

I just think some people on here are never happy.

Season we finished 5th I was over the moon. Naturally you want more but I was proud we achieved that. Some on here demanded more, as though we were going to challenge for the league. It was obvious we over achieved, which is why I was so proud.

The best we can do with the squad we have is 8th. I do not think any realistic change in manager would improve on that.

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I have to agree with Beattie , I did see this coming, like he said we were a small group that got told , just shut and watch, we are mad I should look at the table we are 4th then ended up 5th

also like beattie, I look back at the season we finished 5th as a missed opportunity, as I thought 3rd was there for the taking, but pardew decided to hold his ground and settle.

I can remember coming on here and asking how we managed to win a game after just being batter for 90 min and sneaking 1-nil wins,

we tried to point out that we played to many long balls, we missed out our MF and just looked for BA,

the football we are served up is not football, but we have witnessed some of the best wonder goal moments under pardew, he will not let the team play as a team, he would rather let players go it alone, create a piece of magic and say, he has that in his locker, but when it goes wrong , hangs them out to dry,

the man is out of his depth and a total coward if truth be known. when he came he talked about how Man Management was his strong point, well if that’s his strong point we can all see why he is so poor at the tactical side of things as his man management skills are beyond shocking.

what he does is say one thing and pretty much never back it up with actions on the pitch, remember his teams always play on the front foot 😉

he has been here 3,5 seasons, and in that time he has broken just about every bad record that he could and even set new bad records only to set an even worse record, it should come as no surprise that in those 3,5 years, records and stats show he is the worst manager we have had in the premiership ( managers that have had the club a full season at least ) ,

his record for behaviour is shocking to say the least,

yeh yeh, new season, but same old same old,

I hope that both Liam and John get the good send off they both deserve, but I also hope pardew gets all the pelters he rightly deserves also

carnt wait until he is gone

• dufuss

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

8th is being very optimistic with a plum in charge

• Sliema

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Who else can we sign for CF?

Only Hernandez imo, or Benteke if we can skip his medical perhaps?

I don’t think a CF is a priority now. Obviously all of us (with more than half a dozen working brain cells) want a CB but we are pretty certain that isn’t going to happen.

The way Rivière has looked, and the way Pardew has spoken about Ferreyra makes me believe we won’t try to get a CF now anyway, unless Cisse leaves, but I don’t think that’s likely.

• Sliema

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Catchy

I agree. Some people can’t see the wood mate. And some people on here refuse to be ‘negative’ ‘pessimistic’ ‘realistic!’…

I must admit, in my time on this blog I’ve seen a shift from the Pardew brigade, more are realising gradually the full extent of his moronic-being and are quietly shuffling across with their tails tucked away.

I literally can’t believe anyone thinks he’s doing a good job.

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM

pawl

forget about who is charge of the team just for a second,

tell me why you like football.

when you do, I will ask you why do you like pardew,

I like football because of skilful players , the feeling I get when I beat a few players and pop it in the top corner,

I would like to think nearly everyone started out thinking they wanted to be a CF or marodona Pele Beardsley or even Shearer, the guys that get the glory,,

I don’t know why anyone would like a team built by pardew, he is a guy who seems happy to just be in it, 17th is good enough, he is in the big league one more year,

whupteedoo

• geordie157

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Slap down a bid for Hernandez and see what happens.

Centre back by the close of the window is a must though.

• Tsunki

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It doesn’t really matter that we won’t get another striker, it’s not really a weak area. I’m more perturbed that we will be making use of the same pool of defenders as we have last season, barring the switch from debuchy to janmaat. This select group have had a record number of heavy defeats and to add to that done against the old foe. Where in the preseason plan did anyone see a noticeable change in style and tactics that suggest this season they will be a solid unit? I can only credit Alan with beefing up the midfield so the pressure is off the back four, and the service to the forwards improves dramatically. Haven’t seen it yet but here’s hoping……

• croftus5678

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM

@3 catchy

you have some good points there but i have a different view of pards himself and wether its good for us or not tbh.

the last time pards was backed with the players he wanted we finished 5th and since then he’s not been backed or backed enough imo.

i dont like a lot of things he does and the way he’s played in the past but result wise thats how its been and obv has a reverse effect when he’s built the team around one player wether thats been ba who left cisse who lost form or cabaye who again left !

now we have a team of players who can play as a team though and no one arfa/ba/cisse/cabaye and we have goals and assists from all angles (defence is another matter i think we all agree needs addressing in cb’s)

i must give credit where its due though we have played great mostly in friendlys and not done the dreaded longball or looked for a certain person to play through which gives me hope that results will fall our way again and not get the dreaded 1 goal and defend all game like in the past.

overall i want to be entertained and in the past i’ve not been overly entertained under pards in pre season though is a different matter as i’d gladly pay to watch those games so if he carries on like that fair enough he can stay for me and get my support but if it goes back to boring footy again i’ll start crying again.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Whumpie

Just to make my stance clear I want Ashley gone as much as parsnip, well more so infact but it still doesn’t detract from him being unable to manage a football team at any level so therefore as the face of our club and Ashley’s puppet will inevitably bear the brunt of frustration and rightly so the spineless, bullshitting cretin, sorry couldn’t help myself lol 😀

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Sliema

its been funny watching them “switch sides”

for me its why I don’t respect a lot of them,

• cestriasteve

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Pawl,

Great post, fully agree with your post.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Whumpie,
    “Bear in mind they need to:
    1. Work for a six-figure salary
    2. Work for Ashley, with all that entails – Wonga fraternisation, terrible decisions (renaming SJP, hiring JFK over their heads, selling key players mid-season…)
    3. Work within the financial and recruitment model that we have.
    4. Risk being on the end of the same shoddy treatment that the club showed to people like Chris Hughton.
    5. Put up with the infamous shite-throwing from the club’s own “fans” that’s seen every time the armchair experts disagree with him.”

1. Can comfortably pick up a good manager/head coach from abroad for that sort of cash. It is only the Prem, and Europe’s elite that pay massive 7 figure salaries.

2. What has a shirt sponsor, or a change of ground name got to do with the manager? His job is to get the most from footballers. If he can’t do his job because a shirt sponsor changes I suggest he find a new field to work in. The rest of your point 2 is doubled up in part 3.

3. The financial model and transfers? Many clubs throughout Europe will work on a similar financial model. As for the manager not having the final say on transfers, that is the same throughout Europe. When Real or Barca have elections for President, each candidate generally puts forward his preferred signing, shunning the others. Now, either the manager has no say in who, or he only gets 1 of the players he wants. Similar strategies are employed using DoF’s and other executive roles throughout the football world.

4. Shoddy treatment like that shown to Chris Hughton? Depends what you mean by this. He may be a very nice bloke, but hardly set the world alight as a football manager since. Sacked to move the club forward. Same should happen to Pardew. I guess a manager/head coach has to be able to back themselves to be able to take the club as far as they want to go.

5. You think that is different at any club in the world? From Sunday morning right up to the top of the game you have that mate. Again, if they can’t handle that they shouldn’t be in football.

As I have said previously, this club needs a head coach in charge. Someone who can develop players and get the most out of what he is given. As long as the parameters are set when he takes the job, Im not sure why people think this would be an issue. Paul Clement, Gary White if we want to look at English managers. But there will be plenty of others as well.

• Tsunki

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

And just by way of reiteration, I don’t hate Alan. But he is not good enough, simply not good enough for us or this pool of players. Look at the whole picture that this and other blogs, twitland, journos and anywhere groups of Mags gather and you will get the feeling of a mood shift against the optimism of a few years ago, the records and (ahem) achievements of this setup speak for themselves. Look at it like you do Tripadvisor -the average rating is usually where reality lies.

• Our Toon

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Can some explain to me how Uwe Rosler gets Wigan to play more attractive football than Pardew does with Newcastle yet we are constantly told that it’s down to the squad available and the finances available to him. Martinez was the same at Swansea and Wigan

We are repeatedly told that these new signings mean we have a better squad than last year yet I keep hearing the same excuses for why the football on display is dire.

• pawl250

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Catchy

Football is not what it when Beardsley and Shearer played.

Its not as simple as getting a player like that.

Do we have any? Ben Arfa? Lol please…. he is a poor mans Ginola. He may not defend like Benny but at least Ginola actually did something with the ball opposed to lose it.

How much would Shearer be in todays market? 70-80m? Would that be too much? I am not sure it would.

Could Newcastle go and buy a Shearer in todays market?

You are talking a different calibre of players again. Keegan had a really good set, as did Fergy at Man Utd…. why? Because he paid for them at the time.

Pardew albeit a limited manager does not have the same financial backing. Therefore cannot build a team to entertain. And in todays modern footballl…..

Say Aarons is brilliant, gets young player of the year. Big boys will come along and pay 50m and back to mediocrity we go as anyone worth having is simple plucked so its never fair.

Anyone saying otherwise is blind that the game has turned into something different from the football I fell in love with….. its money buys the league. Not skill or excitement. Mourinho proved that back in his first stint at Chelsea, he bought a solid Chelsea, a boring Chelsea and won the league.

Newcastle fans would be in uproar at the way he plays!! If he did not win things he would be more slated than Sam/Pardew and every other defensive minded coach.

Not to mention every other manager we have had since Keegan, who has played entertaining football.

I loved Bobby, I was at every game during his tenure but it was not “entertainers” brand of football. We won games by being a decent little unit, no different to Everton these days.

• cestriasteve

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Geordie

The problem is finding a good centre back who can adapt to the EPL.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

The lad has just had a breakout season and didn’t score as many as Auba (scored 15+ in 2 seasons before moving).
    Any fee talked about around £15-16m is ridiculous IMO.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM

cestriasteve

kostas manolas would be ideal, but he’s probably off to either juve, napoli or arsenal. £10m talked about as a price.

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM

croftus5678

respectfully, I you can have your opinion,

but I have to counter it with you don’t need a team of international footballers to play football, I only have to point to brighton in 2 cup games, they played us of the pitch footballing wise.
    Poyet then took over sunderland, bottom of the table and no confidence , yet he got them playing better football than us in less than 6 month.

you can point to this pre season and say the long balls have stopped and the football looks better, but I would disagree, I think the long balls have stopped, but the matches have been poor, we look like we struggle in the final 3rd still because of lack of bodies/support, yes we beat schalke 3-1 but the first 2 goals were against the run of play and one was a wonder goal as normal.

the style is still ultra defensive , regardless of who is playing in the team

• Whumpie

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Lilongwe Geordie – good post, but a rather predictable lack of names.

There’s nobody, let’s face it. People can either keep clogging up blogs with the same old AP-hating (or is that resenting?) stuff or get back to talking about football.

People don’t like him because he’s played some negative football, talked shite, broken all the wrong records and lost a shitload of games in the 2nd half of last season.

Yeah. We get it. Nobody’s saying he’s great.

BUT nobody’s offering any alternatives either. That’s why some of us get sick of all the bashing; it’s pointless and just a bit mindless.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM

We should go all out to buy Javier Hernandez from Man Ure and perhaps another loan deal for Loic Remy with option to buy or without it.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I like how you totally missed the questions out there pawl then proceeded to waffle on with your little self lol made me chuckle

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

blackley

A word of advise.

Go back, read through my posts, ask a parent if you need some help and then come back and apologise to me when you realise that you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

• Average_Contents

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Anyway I’ve got to be off

Good discussions with many points and opinions expressed but pawl is a waffler 😉

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

pawl

you missed the point or your just trying to deflect the question

I did not say we have to sign a shearer, I said we all wanted to be a shearer, whether we played 5 aside or 11, we all want glory

we don’t need Pele to play good football and win a cup,

shearer pele maradonna beardo where not in swanseas team when they won the cup were they ??

were they in wigans team ? I wonder ,, nooo, it was down to managers managing the team

Swansea won the cup, and finished 9th, the season after they were in Europe and finshed 11th, with out there main strikers for most of the season,

we finshed 5th, sold no one, bought 6 players in Jan and almost got relegated,

that’s the pardew affect

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I think Tsunki has said it best.

Alan isn’t the worst manager in the world but he certainly is not good enough for this club.

We used to think we deserved better now we just hope we don’t get lumbered with worse. That is not the mentality to take for me.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Whumpie,
    I gave two names, I’m sure if I took the time I would be able to come up with more.

The thing is, talking about Pardew is talking about the football. Like it or not he shapes how we play and therefore is relevant to a lot of the football at Newcastle United. We could talk about Sissoko’s best position. Some say centre mid, some say wide, some say as a number 10. But it will come back to Pardew as he predominantly uses him on the right wing. Whilst Pardew is here, he is part of the talk about football.

I don’t hate the bloke, not by a long shot. I’m not sure I’ve hated anyone related to football since a red mist descended on me when Cantona scored to beat us 1-0 at SJP. I think some of the stuff goes over the top, and certainly some of the posts and comments become repetitive.

But should we as fans be wanting better or more from our club? A club we have all devoted time, energy, money and emotion to over the years? Of course we should. I think many managers could have us playing a far more attractive style of football. Would it necessarily win us more points? Impossible to tell, but it would certainly be more enjoyable watching entertaining football as we strive not to compete, rather than watching terrible football and not competing.

• SUFC_rule

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

He wants a big club with ambition and passion. Come to Sunderland

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Whumpie

we did

Martinez wasn’t good enough

Ole gunner isn’t good enough

Laudrup isn’t good enough

I will say “you lot” only want to consider tried and tested prem managers.

beattie came on here with a list of good managers from across Europe, that would not cost a lot, but play the game in the right manner, going for wins, not sitting on a draw from a 0-0,

• Our Toon

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Whumpie

De Boer, Uwe Rosler are just 2 alternatives

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Whumpie

Just to throw another example at you regarding salary.

Pardew gets 7 figures according to reports. He is on £1.5 million per annum. Now this is low in comparison to some I will agree with that.

Ronald De Boer gets 500 000 euros per annum (£399 100 roughly).

The figures between Europe and England are massive. We would surely get a good coach from France, Spain, Holland, Germany etc… for equal or less than we pay Alan.

But the real question is how much does Ashley value trust? £1.5 mill per year seems to be the going rate.

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM

pardew make Glen roeder look as good as Sir ALex Ferguson.

• Ethiotoon

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM

we will be OK.we grabbed important signings early on.didn’t see Newcastle at their strong eleven,but on paper, they all will do something different than last season hopefully. it’s a matter of who will leave from our squad now,and who will replace the outgoing.I hope nobody leaves, except one of our CDF must be replaced by new one.further more,the likes of Armstrong, satka and a few of other should get loan dealings,preferably to the championship. if Ben arfa leaves,I don’t think AP simply going without replacing him.he’ll be good squad player for us if he stays… sorry Ben..
    Hopefully our strength and weakness will sort out after the city game.
    I won’t be dissapointed if we continue with what we have at the end..
    Good luck Lads

• cabella84

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Our Toon – Wigan play in the championship, that must be good to watch.
    Pardew this Pardew that! The man can has been backed ONCE! In 3 seasons! He finished 5th, playing good football at the back end of the season! After that the board shafted him! He has now been backed once again so I will judge him again this season properly! People just have a blind hatred for the guy and want solskjaer in charge! Hey Catchy! Good call that was!

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM

have any of the pro pardew lot ever came on here with stats to back up why is the right man other than we finished 5th or he won manager of the season so he has to be good ??

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Ethiotoon

sorry but , I don’t think you know football if you think he is just a squad player

he should be the first name down for me , playing n10, build a team around his talent,, he hardly played last season and was still among our most productive players

• Whumpie

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Here’s another illustration as to why some of us are getting annoyed with all the anti-Pardewness:

Imagine if you came on here every day and every third post was saying “get rid of Sissoko – he’s not Messi!”

It’s very similar. Sissoko’s not perfect, and apart from his goal he was utter gash yesterday. But we can’t afford Messi and he wouldn’t come here. Meanwhile, Sissoko does pretty well a lot of the time. He is unlikely to be poached by Barca, but he’s a good player for a team like ours at this stage.

So why aren’t people on here saying Sissoko should go? Why aren’t they slagging him off and saying we need to replace him? Because while lots of people think they could do a manager’s job, few think they could play at this level. And because player’s costs are publicised.

In some minds, consciously or not, managers are cheap and we could all have a crack at doing it.

Well, here’s the news: Louis van Gaal is almost certainly costing Manure more than any of our players cost NUFC. He probably had a lot of offers and could pick and choose. The idea of him – or anyone at his level – coming here is no less daft than Messi coming here.

And no, you couldn’t do Pard’s job. If you could, you’d be a professional manager.

Think on this:

There are around 500 1st-team permiership players at any one time. You’ve got to be pretty exceptionally good to play in the PL.

There are just TWENTY premiership managers. You have to be miraculously bloody good to manage in the PL. It’s not just luck, agents, networking or backhanders – it’s all those things PLUS being better at it than the other 99.99-whatever % of managers.

That’s why I get sick of all the Pardew-Out rhetoric – because it never has an alternative. It’s all the negative with nothing positive to say. It’s just a bit… well… football supporter.

• Beatroll25

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM

SUFC

I suppose you need all the fans you can get with those empty seats.

I’m not suprised they are recruiting on wearside and who better to attract than disillusioned mags.

However we have had enough of silent stadiums, awful football and bottom half finishes so I for one would like to politely decline your request, but thanks anyway.

1 2 3 5