Ambitious Pardew – We Can Have A Great Season

Alan Pardew was upbeat, but also matter of fact, when he was interviewed today by Sky Sports at St. James’ Park, during the open training session that took place today in front of Newcastle’s young fans.

alan pardew at oldham

Alan Pardew – we can have a great season

Alan was asked if top 10 was again the target for this coming season:

¨Well the average for this club over the last 10 years in the Premiership is 48 points, and I think if we can get that or anything above that it will be a good season for us.¨

¨But you know at this stage of the season like all clubs we dream higher than that, so we’ll just have to see where we go and we have another window to get through in the winter and that caused us damage last time.¨

¨Hopefully we can conduct our business well in that window, and strengthen again, and if we can we can have a great season.¨

It depends which quotes you concentrate on, from what Alan has said above, during a rather lengthy but very good interview today.

Maybe if we get 48 points it would be a good season for us – will get some coverage in the press – but that’s kind of taking his quote out of context.

That seemed to be a low mark for the season,  the way Alan was talking to Sky Sports.

We would like the target to be a top six finish, and it may even be a stretch target, but nobody at Newcastle is going to say that in public, since the Newcastle officials seem to want to lower the expectations of Newcastle’s fans – whose expectations  are always on the high side.

And they should be too.

Below are our three social media sites:

• catchy in norway

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM

when u leave

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Sage

Hello again my old friend.

I agree, it defies logic as to why we don’t invest in a true coaching set up from academy upwards.

If Ashley wanted real profit he would invest in that as it is a the best way to allow players to reach their full potential before selling them.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Slank,
    Why wouldn’t it be a good choice? They are likely to be in the shake up at the top of the league, have Champions league and regularly go far in the cups. We are talking 50-60 games in a season. Out of that I’m sure most members of the squad at that level expect to feature in around 2/3rds, unless you are the main man. I think Tiote could comfortably do that for them, and could be crucial in big games away from home.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Ed Harrison I am ashamed in you. You wrote:

”We would like the target to be a top six finish, and it may even be a stretch target, but nobody at Newcastle is going to say that in public,”

I hope you are joking Ed.

It has already been said, by our manager no less.

• firebug666

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

He says on Sky Sports radio we have brought in some good offensive players.

I say the only offensive thing at Newcastle is Pardrew, every time he opens his mouth.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Simple fact is….. this club will not progress any further while Ashley is running it the way he is. If he has a miraculous change in philosophy, then maybe NUFC will move forward. Until then, or a new owner comes in, we are stuck between 12th and 8th.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Time to manage expectations, and let the pain begin…someone is going to be sold.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

….and no cup runs.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

toonking

I think you’ll find Pardew is a rubbish manger for all of the following, not just Ben Arfa:-

Nearly relegated 3 clubs

Took Charlton from the PL to the bottom 3 of the championship

Had 2 Record losing steaks in the history of WHU and NUFC

Record number of consecutive losses 2 seasons running

Record number of goals conceded 2 seasons running

Least number of goals scored

Incited crowd demos against him at WHU and Charlton

Headbutted a player

called a senior respected coach an ”f—ing old c–t

Plays a god awful ”containing” style of football.

Drops people irrespective of form

Plays his favourites irrespective of form

Hasn’t changed a set piece routine for 4 seasons

Constantly lies
    – – – – – – – – – – – – –

I could go on but what’s the point, I hope you and your love of all things mediocre will be very happy together.

• BuckLuck

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

It seems this situastion will continue as it is.
    We show absolutely no ambition at all. Even though our signed players this summer gives me a bit of optimism regarding creativity and entertainment on the field, the club(read Ashley) hasn’t payed for it at all.

Someone brought up what a fan is in an earlier article. Simplified it’s someone that wants the best for their club, in our case Newcastle United.

Almost every poster on this blog agree that Pardew is not a good manager. Some want him here because he is the best of the worst and some want him gone because they think we need a new philosophy with a modern manager.

I’m back to the supporting aspect now;
    I feel it is my duty as supporter to make it as difficult as possible for Ashley to keep Pardew and/or hire a new below average manager.

Personally I feel supporting Pardew is just to support. He is not what we need and he is not our future. He is playing the game just like Ashley, at our expense.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

beatroll

What annoys me more is Pardew worked at southampton, the best academy in the country and he hasn’t seemed to have learned anything from being there.

If I was Ashley (God forbid) I’d hire a good manager this summer, with a solid backroom team (we have enough currently for a decent season) but maybe get another striker.

Then I’d go to southampton and approach their chief academy staff, ask them if they want to move to us…if not ask second in command if he wants to run his own academy…failing that hire some high placed coaches from renowned academies around the world, offering them the chance to run their own and create a legacy.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

A list of young managers and a question…would they come to NUFC? Yes or no answer (feel free to add comments to each or to not even take part).

Frank De Boer
    Vincenzo Montella
    Thomas Tuchel
    Vitor Pereira
    Christophe Galtier
    Paul Clement
    Unai Emery

Can you guys think of any others that could be good options?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Markaccus,
    I know what you mean. It wouldn’t take a huge change in philosophy for it to work though. Just changing the buffoon in charge of recruitment. If we had a top manager with a group of coaches who can develop and get the most out of players then it could be a success. It certainly wouldn’t be instant, but it would be a step forward.

We have essentially spent the money from Cabaye and Debuchy this summer. Now, if we can develop the players we have bought, then in a few years they can be sold and more players of a high standard can be bought. Supplement that with an academy capable of producing players and the club could slowly grow to push the top sides.

I have no real problem with the ‘blueprint’ that the club seem to operate by, more the execution and the people employed to execute it. Again this comes back to Ashley.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Sage

If it were me I would do all I could to tempt De Boer from Ajax.

If he brought his backroom staff with him not only would they upgrade our first team coaching but also they would bring their knowledge of one of the best academies in World football. That kind of knowledge is priceless.

• dannitoon

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

SDJ looked fit to me

• toon kk

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Pardew must be happy to get some players through the door, let’s face it he’s not had a lot of backing by the fat man in the past.
    Most blame him for every poor result and yes he’s made mistakes, but we’ve had a very average squad that did well to finish mid table. Not one of our player would be a first choice at any top club, they’d do well to make the bench.
    At least we’ve made some good signings for a change, so fingers crossed for this season, top eight should be achievable without to many injuries.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

TS…did you see your first choice to replace the coach just went to QPR? 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Sage,
    I agree with that. The daft thing is Southampton sacked 2 of their key academy and development personnel this summer. Don’t think anyone else has picked them up yet, so why don’t we try and get them here.

It all comes back to not wanting to spend I guess, but surely Ashley can realise, or have it pointed out to him, that IF we pay more for decent coaching staff then in turn he will receive more for selling better players. Surely he can’t have such a short term mentality that he doesn’t understand that?

• Slank

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Lil @ 3

When you put it like that yes I can see the possibilities for Tiote.

Could Colback fill the void ? Certainly he will not get as many yellow cards as Tiote.

Tiote would be a big loss to us but he is at his peak and I can see the club cashing as this would be in-line with the club’s transfer strategy.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Frank De Boer 2014:

“I see opportunities at Tottenham Hotspur, just as Liverpool and Newcastle, they are sleeping giants.”

One of the brightest young European managers knows that we are sleeping giants yet many of our own fans think we deserve no better than Pardew.

Imagine if we could bring in De Boer and his back room staff that consists of Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Der Saar, Stam…

It would cost a lot but I would prefer that over a £15 million striker.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

IF ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Beatroll

Have not heard of some of those, but i would think, judging by what de boer said, then YES, i think they would come…… my comment added to each and every one is “i have serious doubts that ashley would even consider asking any of them to come”.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

TOON K

I think Debuchy has just proved you wrong there.

Krul sissoko, remy, weren’t too shabby either

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

jesper

Yeh I saw this morning, he will be a good coach to assist redknapp there, think they can do a lot this year, should be safe with remy in the side, he will get them enough goals.

Lilongwe

I’m sure ashley isn’t so daft he can’t see you need to spend money to make it, otherwise he would never buy stock for the shops to sell on later.

I think it merely comes from the fact our academy is pretty average, not terrible but not amazing so he sees no real need to change it.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM

toonking – I’ve read your previous post – I still do not get how someone who likes HBA must be an Ashley lover. Could you please explain a bit more.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Toon KK

Debuchy has just moved to Arsenal and I’m pretty sure he’ll start for them. I’m sorry but you can’t excuse 14 defeats in 20 games or whatever it was. Every team gets injuries so please stop with the excuses…as a fan I don’t expect us to win anything or to get into CL but I sure as heck want us to try in cups and to show ambition both on and off the pitch.

Most of the fans that dislike pardew such as me do so because of the brand of dross we watch weekly. I’d be happy with 14th as long as we played attacking football.

We try to contain and pinch a goal, pretty poor at both aspects and the shackles have only ever come off once and that was the run we went on when finishing 5th. Attack attack attack.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

markakus

that is the tragedy of it all, ash has taken appalling advice from the off and sadly knows nowt about football.

• hitman

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

the problem is ashley duznt want to be here,so he wont spend the money,we are being run on the cheap and will continue to be till he finds a buyer.the money that has been spent this window is to safe gaurd his investment nothing more.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Slank,
    I’m not sure Colback could fill the gap. I think we would need to sign someone to play alongside either Colback or Anita. I’m yet to be convinced that Sissoko could play that role, and even less convinced that I would want him sitting so deep. He seems to lack concentration and basic awareness in defensive roles, plus we would lose his dynamism going forward.

There were rumours we were after a Bosnian, can’t remember his name now, but he was meant to be a similar sort of midfielder and was fairly cheap, couple of million I think, just how we like them.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Markaccus

I agree, I don’t think Ashley would ask them to come but I think if he did, they would. I like to think this club has appeal.

Even if they, like the players, only use it as a stepping stone.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Lilongwe

Yes, Ashleys philosophy would only have to change as far as “I want attractive football that brings in the punters and gets us higher up the pecking order. Provide it, Pardew, or else i will employ someone who can”. The problem is i just do not think Ashley wants any more from the football side. He seems happy for us to stagnate.

• toonking

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

RH
    fabio cappelo had lots of titles as manage
    he didn’t take bent england’s most on form striker to the world cup.

martinez is it really good management or could it be just luck because martinez was always getting wigan in a relegation battle.

keegan why so much praise he tossed away what was a12 point lead in the premier ship loosing us our 1 and only chance of a title.

wenger had a unbeaten record at arsenal but prior to the FA cup he went 7 whole years with an aim of 4th place when it should have been title challenge “loosing good ones and not getting replacements can’t be used as an excuse BTW as you don’t accept them with newcastle”

keegan such a coward for walking out rather than being able to handle mike ashley the same way you people expect other great manages to hand newcastle.

bobby robson sacked, who comes in souness rodaer alladynce JFK shearer why no great manager surely if we expecting great managers to come in with this owner we would have been attractive enough for great managers when we brought in top quality like shearer and owen.

macclaran did awful with england weird because he won the boro a trophy and is doing so well at club level.

harry redknapp manages to turn spurs into CL contenders, how did he do that because QPR he couldn’t get them out of relegation.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Our toon

I think people accept dour football if it gets them a trophy, they won’t accept it for mid table and early cup exits.

That’s where we need to improve, surely attacking and playing a better brand won’t have us finish any lower than we currently are.

• Slank

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Beatroll

It would be a leap of faith getting in a manager who had never managed a big club in the Premiership. That is probably the concern for Ashley as I doubt the salary would be a problem as none of those you mention would demand a great deal as possibly all just want the opportunity to manage in the best league in the world.

I think Pardew has until Christmas. He has asked for more players and has got them. It’s now down to him.

• beefman13

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

We finished 5th two seasons ago, we all know we should have pushed on, now aiming for 48 points and above, that’s backward thinking, is a one place finish this season ok? No not really imo, it means a win loose draw kind of season, but (yawn) if that is how they get their bonus they will b happy; yea they will try to finish higher, but it looks like the bonus is all set for a higher finish than last year imo.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Slank

Colback isn’t even good enough to lace Tiote’s boots…I don’t get why this lad is being hyped up he is average at best and it won’t take long for fans to realise we have a dud…much like Saylor.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Rotonda

It’s endemic through the club. Pardew often puts square pegs in round holes on the pitch, Ashley does the same off the pitch.
    If I was to borrow Beatrolls chef analogy from earlier, its like everyone is using carrots to make onion soup!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Senor Tuff…nobody understands that!

…on another note I wouldn’t mind cashing in on Tiote in January if the money is right and if we get an improved replacement.

Tiote has been a player I have never really taken a liking to – it’s only the season we finished 5th he impressed me!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

toonking

I would say though….

wenger has won trophies and leagues in the past, bobby robson also had, same as capello and redknapp…it shows they have done things right before so the ‘failings’ this time might be them but the have built up a good rep and as a result are given benefit of the doubt.

Pardew has had the very same problems at all his clubs, therefore it appears that he always achieves the same level.

I’m not blaming Pardew entirely, but he doesn’t help himself at times.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sage,
    Not just academy, but throughout the club. Improve the coaching, improves the players, improves the fees said players can command, increase in club revenue/profit. If he can see it and isn’t bothered then money at NUFC isn’t his primary motivation, which begs the question, what is?

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I mean I would accept boring bland football if we had boring bland players.

If we were a team full of Stoke like individuals I could accept the lack of quality and hope for better days.

But we have some real talent here, that is simply infuriating to me.

1 2 3 6