The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ambitious Pardew – We Can Have A Great Season

2:58 pm, Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 218 Comments

Alan Pardew was upbeat, but also matter of fact, when he was interviewed today by Sky Sports at St. James’ Park, during the open training session that took place today in front of Newcastle’s young fans.

alan pardew at oldham

Alan Pardew – we can have a great season

Alan was asked if top 10 was again the target for this coming season:

¨Well the average for this club over the last 10 years in the Premiership is 48 points, and I think if we can get that or anything above that it will be a good season for us.¨

¨But you know at this stage of the season like all clubs we dream higher than that, so we’ll just have to see where we go and we have another window to get through in the winter and that caused us damage last time.¨

¨Hopefully we can conduct our business well in that window, and strengthen again, and if we can we can have a great season.¨

It depends which quotes you concentrate on, from what Alan has said above, during a rather lengthy but very good interview today.

Maybe if we get 48 points it would be a good season for us – will get some coverage in the press – but that’s kind of taking his quote out of context.

That seemed to be a low mark for the season,  the way Alan was talking to Sky Sports.

We would like the target to be a top six finish, and it may even be a stretch target, but nobody at Newcastle is going to say that in public, since the Newcastle officials seem to want to lower the expectations of Newcastle’s fans – whose expectations  are always on the high side.

And they should be too.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Premier League

218 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM

when u leave

• 2 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Sage

Hello again my old friend.

I agree, it defies logic as to why we don’t invest in a true coaching set up from academy upwards.

If Ashley wanted real profit he would invest in that as it is a the best way to allow players to reach their full potential before selling them.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Slank,
    Why wouldn’t it be a good choice? They are likely to be in the shake up at the top of the league, have Champions league and regularly go far in the cups. We are talking 50-60 games in a season. Out of that I’m sure most members of the squad at that level expect to feature in around 2/3rds, unless you are the main man. I think Tiote could comfortably do that for them, and could be crucial in big games away from home.

• 4 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Ed Harrison I am ashamed in you. You wrote:

”We would like the target to be a top six finish, and it may even be a stretch target, but nobody at Newcastle is going to say that in public,”

I hope you are joking Ed.

It has already been said, by our manager no less.

• 5 firebug666 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

He says on Sky Sports radio we have brought in some good offensive players.

I say the only offensive thing at Newcastle is Pardrew, every time he opens his mouth.

• 6 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Simple fact is….. this club will not progress any further while Ashley is running it the way he is. If he has a miraculous change in philosophy, then maybe NUFC will move forward. Until then, or a new owner comes in, we are stuck between 12th and 8th.

• 7 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Time to manage expectations, and let the pain begin…someone is going to be sold.

• 8 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

….and no cup runs.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

toonking

I think you’ll find Pardew is a rubbish manger for all of the following, not just Ben Arfa:-

Nearly relegated 3 clubs

Took Charlton from the PL to the bottom 3 of the championship

Had 2 Record losing steaks in the history of WHU and NUFC

Record number of consecutive losses 2 seasons running

Record number of goals conceded 2 seasons running

Least number of goals scored

Incited crowd demos against him at WHU and Charlton

Headbutted a player

called a senior respected coach an ”f—ing old c–t

Plays a god awful ”containing” style of football.

Drops people irrespective of form

Plays his favourites irrespective of form

Hasn’t changed a set piece routine for 4 seasons

Constantly lies
    – – – – – – – – – – – – –

I could go on but what’s the point, I hope you and your love of all things mediocre will be very happy together.

• 10 BuckLuck // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

It seems this situastion will continue as it is.
    We show absolutely no ambition at all. Even though our signed players this summer gives me a bit of optimism regarding creativity and entertainment on the field, the club(read Ashley) hasn’t payed for it at all.

Someone brought up what a fan is in an earlier article. Simplified it’s someone that wants the best for their club, in our case Newcastle United.

Almost every poster on this blog agree that Pardew is not a good manager. Some want him here because he is the best of the worst and some want him gone because they think we need a new philosophy with a modern manager.

I’m back to the supporting aspect now;
    I feel it is my duty as supporter to make it as difficult as possible for Ashley to keep Pardew and/or hire a new below average manager.

Personally I feel supporting Pardew is just to support. He is not what we need and he is not our future. He is playing the game just like Ashley, at our expense.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

beatroll

What annoys me more is Pardew worked at southampton, the best academy in the country and he hasn’t seemed to have learned anything from being there.

If I was Ashley (God forbid) I’d hire a good manager this summer, with a solid backroom team (we have enough currently for a decent season) but maybe get another striker.

Then I’d go to southampton and approach their chief academy staff, ask them if they want to move to us…if not ask second in command if he wants to run his own academy…failing that hire some high placed coaches from renowned academies around the world, offering them the chance to run their own and create a legacy.

• 12 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

A list of young managers and a question…would they come to NUFC? Yes or no answer (feel free to add comments to each or to not even take part).

Frank De Boer
    Vincenzo Montella
    Thomas Tuchel
    Vitor Pereira
    Christophe Galtier
    Paul Clement
    Unai Emery

Can you guys think of any others that could be good options?

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Markaccus,
    I know what you mean. It wouldn’t take a huge change in philosophy for it to work though. Just changing the buffoon in charge of recruitment. If we had a top manager with a group of coaches who can develop and get the most out of players then it could be a success. It certainly wouldn’t be instant, but it would be a step forward.

We have essentially spent the money from Cabaye and Debuchy this summer. Now, if we can develop the players we have bought, then in a few years they can be sold and more players of a high standard can be bought. Supplement that with an academy capable of producing players and the club could slowly grow to push the top sides.

I have no real problem with the ‘blueprint’ that the club seem to operate by, more the execution and the people employed to execute it. Again this comes back to Ashley.

• 14 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Sage

If it were me I would do all I could to tempt De Boer from Ajax.

If he brought his backroom staff with him not only would they upgrade our first team coaching but also they would bring their knowledge of one of the best academies in World football. That kind of knowledge is priceless.

• 15 dannitoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

SDJ looked fit to me

• 16 toon kk // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Pardew must be happy to get some players through the door, let’s face it he’s not had a lot of backing by the fat man in the past.
    Most blame him for every poor result and yes he’s made mistakes, but we’ve had a very average squad that did well to finish mid table. Not one of our player would be a first choice at any top club, they’d do well to make the bench.
    At least we’ve made some good signings for a change, so fingers crossed for this season, top eight should be achievable without to many injuries.

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

TS…did you see your first choice to replace the coach just went to QPR? 😉

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Sage,
    I agree with that. The daft thing is Southampton sacked 2 of their key academy and development personnel this summer. Don’t think anyone else has picked them up yet, so why don’t we try and get them here.

It all comes back to not wanting to spend I guess, but surely Ashley can realise, or have it pointed out to him, that IF we pay more for decent coaching staff then in turn he will receive more for selling better players. Surely he can’t have such a short term mentality that he doesn’t understand that?

• 19 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Lil @ 3

When you put it like that yes I can see the possibilities for Tiote.

Could Colback fill the void ? Certainly he will not get as many yellow cards as Tiote.

Tiote would be a big loss to us but he is at his peak and I can see the club cashing as this would be in-line with the club’s transfer strategy.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Frank De Boer 2014:

“I see opportunities at Tottenham Hotspur, just as Liverpool and Newcastle, they are sleeping giants.”

One of the brightest young European managers knows that we are sleeping giants yet many of our own fans think we deserve no better than Pardew.

Imagine if we could bring in De Boer and his back room staff that consists of Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Der Saar, Stam…

It would cost a lot but I would prefer that over a £15 million striker.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

IF ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 21 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Beatroll

Have not heard of some of those, but i would think, judging by what de boer said, then YES, i think they would come…… my comment added to each and every one is “i have serious doubts that ashley would even consider asking any of them to come”.

• 22 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

TOON K

I think Debuchy has just proved you wrong there.

Krul sissoko, remy, weren’t too shabby either

• 23 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

jesper

Yeh I saw this morning, he will be a good coach to assist redknapp there, think they can do a lot this year, should be safe with remy in the side, he will get them enough goals.

Lilongwe

I’m sure ashley isn’t so daft he can’t see you need to spend money to make it, otherwise he would never buy stock for the shops to sell on later.

I think it merely comes from the fact our academy is pretty average, not terrible but not amazing so he sees no real need to change it.

• 24 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM

toonking – I’ve read your previous post – I still do not get how someone who likes HBA must be an Ashley lover. Could you please explain a bit more.

• 25 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Toon KK

Debuchy has just moved to Arsenal and I’m pretty sure he’ll start for them. I’m sorry but you can’t excuse 14 defeats in 20 games or whatever it was. Every team gets injuries so please stop with the excuses…as a fan I don’t expect us to win anything or to get into CL but I sure as heck want us to try in cups and to show ambition both on and off the pitch.

Most of the fans that dislike pardew such as me do so because of the brand of dross we watch weekly. I’d be happy with 14th as long as we played attacking football.

We try to contain and pinch a goal, pretty poor at both aspects and the shackles have only ever come off once and that was the run we went on when finishing 5th. Attack attack attack.

• 26 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

markakus

that is the tragedy of it all, ash has taken appalling advice from the off and sadly knows nowt about football.

• 27 hitman // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

the problem is ashley duznt want to be here,so he wont spend the money,we are being run on the cheap and will continue to be till he finds a buyer.the money that has been spent this window is to safe gaurd his investment nothing more.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Slank,
    I’m not sure Colback could fill the gap. I think we would need to sign someone to play alongside either Colback or Anita. I’m yet to be convinced that Sissoko could play that role, and even less convinced that I would want him sitting so deep. He seems to lack concentration and basic awareness in defensive roles, plus we would lose his dynamism going forward.

There were rumours we were after a Bosnian, can’t remember his name now, but he was meant to be a similar sort of midfielder and was fairly cheap, couple of million I think, just how we like them.

• 29 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Markaccus

I agree, I don’t think Ashley would ask them to come but I think if he did, they would. I like to think this club has appeal.

Even if they, like the players, only use it as a stepping stone.

• 30 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Lilongwe

Yes, Ashleys philosophy would only have to change as far as “I want attractive football that brings in the punters and gets us higher up the pecking order. Provide it, Pardew, or else i will employ someone who can”. The problem is i just do not think Ashley wants any more from the football side. He seems happy for us to stagnate.

• 31 toonking // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

RH
    fabio cappelo had lots of titles as manage
    he didn’t take bent england’s most on form striker to the world cup.

martinez is it really good management or could it be just luck because martinez was always getting wigan in a relegation battle.

keegan why so much praise he tossed away what was a12 point lead in the premier ship loosing us our 1 and only chance of a title.

wenger had a unbeaten record at arsenal but prior to the FA cup he went 7 whole years with an aim of 4th place when it should have been title challenge “loosing good ones and not getting replacements can’t be used as an excuse BTW as you don’t accept them with newcastle”

keegan such a coward for walking out rather than being able to handle mike ashley the same way you people expect other great manages to hand newcastle.

bobby robson sacked, who comes in souness rodaer alladynce JFK shearer why no great manager surely if we expecting great managers to come in with this owner we would have been attractive enough for great managers when we brought in top quality like shearer and owen.

macclaran did awful with england weird because he won the boro a trophy and is doing so well at club level.

harry redknapp manages to turn spurs into CL contenders, how did he do that because QPR he couldn’t get them out of relegation.

• 32 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Our toon

I think people accept dour football if it gets them a trophy, they won’t accept it for mid table and early cup exits.

That’s where we need to improve, surely attacking and playing a better brand won’t have us finish any lower than we currently are.

• 33 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Beatroll

It would be a leap of faith getting in a manager who had never managed a big club in the Premiership. That is probably the concern for Ashley as I doubt the salary would be a problem as none of those you mention would demand a great deal as possibly all just want the opportunity to manage in the best league in the world.

I think Pardew has until Christmas. He has asked for more players and has got them. It’s now down to him.

• 34 beefman13 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

We finished 5th two seasons ago, we all know we should have pushed on, now aiming for 48 points and above, that’s backward thinking, is a one place finish this season ok? No not really imo, it means a win loose draw kind of season, but (yawn) if that is how they get their bonus they will b happy; yea they will try to finish higher, but it looks like the bonus is all set for a higher finish than last year imo.

• 35 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Slank

Colback isn’t even good enough to lace Tiote’s boots…I don’t get why this lad is being hyped up he is average at best and it won’t take long for fans to realise we have a dud…much like Saylor.

• 36 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Rotonda

It’s endemic through the club. Pardew often puts square pegs in round holes on the pitch, Ashley does the same off the pitch.
    If I was to borrow Beatrolls chef analogy from earlier, its like everyone is using carrots to make onion soup!

• 37 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Senor Tuff…nobody understands that!

…on another note I wouldn’t mind cashing in on Tiote in January if the money is right and if we get an improved replacement.

Tiote has been a player I have never really taken a liking to – it’s only the season we finished 5th he impressed me!

• 38 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

toonking

I would say though….

wenger has won trophies and leagues in the past, bobby robson also had, same as capello and redknapp…it shows they have done things right before so the ‘failings’ this time might be them but the have built up a good rep and as a result are given benefit of the doubt.

Pardew has had the very same problems at all his clubs, therefore it appears that he always achieves the same level.

I’m not blaming Pardew entirely, but he doesn’t help himself at times.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sage,
    Not just academy, but throughout the club. Improve the coaching, improves the players, improves the fees said players can command, increase in club revenue/profit. If he can see it and isn’t bothered then money at NUFC isn’t his primary motivation, which begs the question, what is?

• 40 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I mean I would accept boring bland football if we had boring bland players.

If we were a team full of Stoke like individuals I could accept the lack of quality and hope for better days.

But we have some real talent here, that is simply infuriating to me.

• 41 toon kk // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Rotonda
    Fair enough with Debuchy, I’m not saying we had a poor squad just an average one .

• 42 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Toon King

You

• 43 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

MArkaccus

That sounds delicious.

Where can I get a recipe?

• 44 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM

beefman

I think the comment from Pardew about 48 points is shocking….why should we aim for the clubs average in the league?

We have had all sorts of extremes in that time so surely we should be assessing our competition and our own abilities and setting the target from there, not from historic data when half the teams over the prem league history are no longer in it and money has changed massively from early times.

• 45 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Lil @ 28

Tiote’s role is very specialised and there aren’t too many like him around.

I agree about Sissoko. He is fine in a three man midfield where the other two allow him to bomb forward.

• 46 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Toon King

I’ll start again seeing as I just dropped my phone (idiot I am)

You gave a paragraph or minimum a couple of sentences to describe all the other managers etc. Let me describe pardews claim to fame:

JOHNSTONE PAINT TROPHY

• 47 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

lilongwe

All I can think is that the club is of little real interest too him….even the 10mil profit is nothing when you consider his total wealth…I think all he seems to want is the club to tick along until somebody comes in and offers him silly money.

It’s also a good vehicle to advertise and link his sports company to a known ‘brand’ (in NUFC) world wide…a club known for exciting football is a good partner to have.

• 48 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Beatroll

Apply in writing to the NUFC canteen. The only ingredient i can confidently say is NOT in the onion soup, is onions.

• 49 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Markaccus

Did you sell the onions to make a massive profit and replace them with a cheaper option in order to patch up the mistake you made in flogging the main ingredient?

• 50 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM

beatroll

You do realise that carrots are known as french onions, or is that dutch onions these days…..so really we are no worse off haha

• 51 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Our toon

he also won the award for the manager who looks most like a Thunderbird Puppet. (Probably which ever Tracey brother spent his time in the space station)

• 52 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Toon KK

Pardew has been backed at this club but not as much as he’d like to have been but he was also backed at other clubs, most notably West ham when he couldn’t get his head around Tevez or Mascherano.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Markaccus,
    But an improvement in the coaching side and staff side would improve revenues and increase monies in from player sales. He can still keep us mid table doing that, he will just get more back from selling players.

I also didn’t just mean for manager or coaching. Appointments throughout his tenure here have been awful. Occasionally he hits lucky, Carr being a good example, but Vetere, Wise, Jimenez, Kinnear, Llambias all examples of poor appointments. I imagine if I delved deeper you could find other failed appointments in more junior executive roles.

He could use a lack of knowledge initially, but surely after this long he would have learnt a bit more about the industry, maybe he has, hence his spot on the board now. I doubt it though. He will always appoint people he trusts.

• 54 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The fans wouldn’t care less how the team played if the club won a trophy.

I cannot recall the Arsenal fans complaining about the style when they won so many trophies when everyone else said ‘boring one nil Arsenal’

• 55 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Sage

Ha ha.

Next you’ll open up the doors to the fans saying that French Onions are no good and they should be replaced with local English ones.

• 56 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Markaccus

Haha never thought of that, oh dear that is funny.

Does anyone else think the Tiote thing will end like cabaye? Is he really injured or is he being saved from injury?

• 57 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Beatroll

Yes, basically. Also, if the carrots work out well, i will flog them on next year and gamble on using 8 radishes and a potato. It will still be called onion soup.

• 58 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Should have paid whatever it took to get marcos Rojo. Would have totally transformed the defense.

• 59 mecannylad // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Next season, whichever club he is at Tiote will probably miss 6 games through suspension, six through injury and a further six through ACON …… That’s why he’ll be shipped out by NUFC.

• 60 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Sage,
    “A club known for exciting football” Not for much longer at the rate we are going! 😉

• 61 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM

toonking transfer

im not sure how you can say you what you are saying about it being the players for the 5th and pardew when its 16th

for me its is a simple as black and white,,

we finished 5th though a lot of luck, some our own and some other things nufc had no control of i,e Chelsea and Liverpool had a mare of a season due to Manager problems, and we benefitted from this,
    our luck was we got battered in many games but hung on to get a point or 3, this is also fine we can not expect to win every game,
    but when for the most part we are getting battered by Fulham 5-1 after taking the lead then trying to just hold on to that 1 goal for 80 mins (just a guess at the time), not going for more goals, this then becomes a pardew problem, this is the football he wants us to play. when it does go wrong for us, we have no idea how to set it right.
    Ba got 16 goals before Xmas that season, not a goal or assist when Cisse came, Ba hardly touched a ball from feb to the end of the season yet he was on the pitch, this is a manager problem, trying to keep players happy and playing them out of position just so they get a match.
    this problem was reversed when Cisses was played as a right winger, because pardew was trying to please a player who would not commit to the club and was gone in Jan, this is a manager problem

the season we finished 16th, we got 1 signing, Anita, who is not a bad player, just pardew has no idea where to play him, but that season, we should have been on a high, we finished 5th we were in Europe but pardew could not handle 2 games a week, bare in mind that we made as many as 9 changes for the first few European games , many kids and reserves played Mid week first teamers weekend,
    the excuse book really came out that season, he blamed injuries, but like i have proven many times, the teams we were playing at home and loosing against were still inferior to what we had on the pitch, football is not about your best 11, he gets paid to many things at the club, bring on the kids, bring on the reserve team, this he fails at.
    the cup games vrs Brighton, were they played us of the park twice, they gave us a football lesson on how players should move off the ball, how to keep the ball on the ground,, you have to ask yourself why can they do that ?? esp when our team on paper is filled with French ARG EU21 add many other top players, this is a manager problem, he coaches the team, and it does not take a team of top internationals to play good football, it just takes practice,
    we naturally sit deep as a team, we have had little movement up front in which ever season it has been, this is all coaching,
    i think it gets forgot about, but Carver came out and game an interview where he said that they train on attacking 1 day a week the rest is all about defending,
    that embarrassing when you see how many goals we concede,
    we have shown now for 3 seasons our corner and free kick routine is look for Williamson , amazing, look for the 6ft5 guy, im still to see the guy score :(

if this was a horse race, there would be a stewards inquiry at the end, they would conclude that the jockey (PARDEW) was deliberately pulling on the horse (the TEAM) to slow him down. he would face a 6 month ban.

pardew can not take credit for wonder goals that win games, most of these goals are things you can not practice for, that’s why players get the credit, and yes in my eyes the team can take criticism if they play bad, but if they play bad nearly every week, the finger has to be pointed else were,,

and yeh yeh, MA, he has his failings as an owner, and no, i don’t want him at my club, but he has nothing at all to do with how pardew plays football.
    pardew should be able to train any team kids or pros to pass a ball,

• 62 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM

slank

It’s like I said though…nobody minds dour football when it gets trophies but when it’s used for mid table footy people don’t enjoy it as there is no real bonus to having to sit through it.

• 63 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Beatroll,

• 64 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Lil @ 53

I wonder whether the appointment of two Geordie coaches was to appease many of the xenophobic fans ?

Would two southern coaches, irrespective of how good they were, be acceptable to the fans given the ‘cockney’ abuse that still gets an airing ?

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

mecannylad…and shipping him out for the right price would be logical for those reasons alone I think!

…as long as he is replaced with a better player

• 66 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Transfer Sage

Very true. It didn’t bother the Arsenal fans.

• 67 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Pardew’s obviously crapping himself now that the season is just around the corner.

He’s waffled on about ‘pushing on’ this season and aiming towards the champions league. Now he’s realised the time for talk is over, and he’s back tracking.

He’s probably hoping a few Pardew sympathisers (the likes of Ethiotoon) will get on side and quiet those who don’t have such short memories.

He spins one propaganda exercise after another, and this time it’s one aimed at keeping the wolves at bay if the team have an awful start to the season.

The man’s a maggot. Ship him out. I’m sick of his hot air. Anyone else will do.

Glenn Hoddle? Well ii’d rather him than Pardew at least.

• 68 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Lilongwe

Thats something else i wanted, for both Ashley and Pardew to learn from past mistakes.

Ironically, with regard to ashley employing people he trusts, those are the people who have let him down the most! Its so sad when you look and see how close we are to being a big club again, yet having blindingly obvious things hold us back!

• 69 toonking // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM

TS
    i’m not consider pardew’s quality anywhere near that of them manages it’s base more on the teams that they managed when winning those trophies in comparison to the teams they were poor with.
    RH has used things from charlton athletic and WHU in coparison to newcastle, which is like comparing spurs to QPR and the english team compared to his milan team.

newcastle united in my eyes are a team who will not be top 4 contenders and never ever will be unless we get a arib owner.

we can see from the state of the national team that academies are awful all over the country which means the only way to build a team is spend money.

also as we see from southamptons team now it’s always going to be difficult to keep hold of the players we bring through as passion for playing at the club they love has be ruined by the love for money

we can see from the past that newcastle have only had 2 good managers since the start of the premier league era with an above average quality and they were both locals.

the best players now cost 30 mil+ we only willing to pay 10 mil at max for a player no chance we will see the very best join

we had the chance to build on our european entrance but didn’t and like we see happen to so many others it’s proof you need a massive squad for europe

wages are now getting massive.

i do hate it when he does this but the truth is i expect all managers to do it now “fielding the weaken teams in cup games”

• 70 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Catchy

I do agree with a lot of that, and I do agree the manager ultimately holds responsibility for his team…same in any occupation, if you can’t control your team and get results then there is no point you being there.

So of course I would like a change and think a manager like pochettino would have us playing a heck of a lot better and probably picking up more points with that better football….I still think the players don’t help themselves enough.

I really don’t understand Pardew’s (and most managers thinking)….I’d try my way, if it wasn’t working I’d be asking my coaching staff and players what they think is wrong (and even just a friend/fellow professional on the outside of the team for a fresh air of eyes) and look to see what I needed to improve.

Whether it would be players, another coach to help me in an area I was weak, etc….especially when you know in football that even if your lose your job to the man you bring in to help you, you are nearly always guaranteed another well paid job somewhere.

• 71 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

T T V V T

Glenn Hoddle ?

What another Cockney ?

• 72 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

LILONGWE

“Beatroll,
    You should always buy local produce. Don’t want these weird french onions. They don’t have the spirit that your proper hardworking british onions have.”

Genuinely made me LOL that did!

• 73 toon kk // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Our toon
    I agree we could do MUCH better than Pardew but we hadn’t a strong enough squad to cope. I would love to see more attacking football but we would have been taken apart. Most of our squad haven’t the pace especially when Remy was missing.

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Slank,
    I would put decent money on the main reason Carver being brought in as the number 2 was down to the fact that fans were up in arms against Pardew, and Carver was still remembered as Sir Bobby’s assistant, and therefore placates the angry mob.

Would he have got the job based on his career since leaving NUFC? No chance!

Stone could well be the same, but I don’t think there is the same affiliation with the fans as Carver despite being a geordie. Was a thorn in our side more often than not as a player. I think he was probably cheap and they didn’t have to pay any relocation costs.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM

toonking

I know top 4 would be difficult but that’s why we should be looking to follow southamtons academy structure to get lots of good players through to either stay or sell for big sums to pay for other players.

I know it’s not easy to crack the top 4 but if you show you can challenge you can hang on to a lot of players.

A lot is made of wages/fees being so high but the TV/sponsorship money is also at record levels so it does balance out…we might not get the top 1% of world players but no reason we can’t shop in the top 10-15%.

• 76 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Toonking

An Arab owner ?

Only Man City have an Arab Owner. The top teams have a mixture of Russians, Eastern Europeans, Yanks and Brits.

The days of buying success like Man City and Chelsea may be over because of EFP rules.

• 77 Ethiotoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM

ttvvt
    could you explain what exactly is the wrong doing
    regarding the club mgr?

• 78 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Transfer Sage

i think it is simple, its one of 2 things, pride, if he thinks he is weak in an area and asks for help, its like admitting defeat, (not in my eyes) how would the owner look at it is another question
    the 2nd thing is he just does not see the problem no matter who tells him, this is arrogance , which he is in my opinion.

• 79 stuart no9 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Basically, what pardew is saying is ,, our aim is to stay in the prem and not get relegated, 46-48 points just about gives you quaranteed safety in the prem these days , with the smaller clubs spending and giving it a go, 44-46 might not make it. so, thanks alan , another great season to look forward to.

• 80 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I swear to f**k if we sell Tiote I am not watching Nufc again. It would make me sick..

He is the heart of our team, he is our warrior.

Fuc***g sick of these c**ts why won’t they just let a player finish his career at Newcastle instead of cashing in on them. Only player they won’t do it with is Colo.

If it hada been MA that bought Shearer guaranteed he would have been sold on a season or 2 later to Man u for double the money.

MA We wan’t our hero’s not fu****g cash you fat pr*ck.

• 81 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Lilongwe

i have no clue why these 2 clowns are along side pardew, the only thing it can be is they were both NUFC fans, they both stink at there jobs,

SBR proved he could do the same job with any #2

• 82 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Toonking,
    Keegan local? He is a Donny lad from South Yorkshire!

Academies are awful, even if that were the case that does not mean that building improving and developing your own better quality academy should be scrapped. I would much rather see us develop our own players than spend fortunes every summer. If we don’t win the title in my lifetime that wouldn’t be a surprise, but if we started developing young talent and doing it well we could certainly compete for cups.

As for Redknapp, he has been awful almost everywhere he has been leaving most of them in financial strife – Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham, Pompey. Spurs is the exception for him, where he took the huff after not getting the England job. Odious candle faced …..

• 83 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

The best comment from a manager this season came from wenger!! He said Arsenal are no longer at the mercy of the likes of Citeh because of FFP. He said its a level playing field now for all clubs as they will spend what they earn essentially.

To fellow toon fans making excuses for player sales and pointing to the likes of Southampton please remember the new chairman/woman that came in said in January they’d be selling, Pochettino had threatened to resign over it. Bottom line is that we refuse to invest anything into the club, so money from serious advertising is costing us. Add to that a silver tongued liar who believes his own hype!!

• 84 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Catchy

Not sure if you are familiar with much cricket but former England captain Michael Vaughan is a brilliant leader in my opinion, he got the most out of players with difficulties and always looked to improve. He does commentary not on matches for BBC and hosts a show on BBC 5 live, covering some great topics in relation to difficult players like Kevin Pietersen.

What he said was he never asked for help only when struggling. He said he had friends in the game who didn’t play for england he’d ask what they thought of how they did (win or lose) and what could be made better.

Like you say, it’s difficult to know why pardew won’t try to improve…it could be down to the ambition of the club to sit still…so he simply doesn’t care enough.

• 85 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Lil @ 74

The angry mob would be out in force if two loyal Geordies were sacked. Being good coaches would never enter the thoughts of the mob.

And if Cockneys (anyone south of Watford) were brought in then the mob would be apoplectic.

• 86 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

@Slank

haha, ideally not mate, but anyone over Pardew.

• 87 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

TS

Didn’t pardew ask the players what the issue was and why things weren’t working that’s why he has a vendetta against HBA, the only one to tell him the truth

• 88 Scottiedog // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

This is a very poor story based on b0ll0cks!!

Tiote on his day is on of our best players, however he does give the ball away easily, poor passing, far to many yellows. So if we can get £20m for him then why not sell him!?!?!

• 89 stuart no9 // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM

does anybody think that there maybe something going on behind the scenes to get hoddle here as manager ????? just a thought !

• 90 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Catchy,
    Probably because the club didn’t want a number 2 who knew more on football then Pardew.

I will never forget reading the thing about Steve Stone in England training where he was asked to do a trick to beat the man and then whip the cross in. Stone allegedly said that he doesn’t know any tricks, he just kicks it past the full back and runs. Maybe he just works with Obertan?

• 91 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Toon KK

You say we didn’t have the pace, did Southampton have the pace?

• 92 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Ethiotoon

Look, not blaming Pardew for everything is one thing, and is probably right and fair. But to say he is not at fault for anything and has done nothing wrong is silly. People on here can list plenty of his mistakes, and even if you filter out the twisted ones and made up ones, there are still enough reasons to critisise him. I dont hate the guy, and have some sympathy for the fact he does get sh1t on from above from time to time, but on the other hand, he has no excuses for negative tactics with a team not equiped to implement them. He also does himself no favours because he wont be open and honest about what goes on above him at the club.

• 93 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Stuart,
    Hoddle has just joined QPR

• 94 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

our toon

possibly, don’t know the truth of that…would make no sense to ask if you couldn’t take the answers…but who knows with our lot.

• 95 toonking // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

TS
    the difficulties i see with doing what southampton do and playing academy players is that a manger is going to be under too much pressure to play them in league games and blackpool for instance did get fined for playing a weakened team in one. the cups and european matches are the best thing we could use for the youth but i wouldn’t like to see a weakened team in cup games. dummett and sammy are two we’ve tried to bring up but fans are on there back after just a short chance.
    the thing that i i think allowed southampton to get it’s academy so good was they were down in division 2 where money doesn’t come so easy.

in the premier league the only way i can see academies being put to good use is if the fcuken FA would bring a 5-6 rule in once and for all.

slank
    FFP is just a load of nonsense in my eyes, the thing about FFA is it stops uefa getting as much money from european games because no one would want to provide as much money for sporsors and avertisment if there was not a barcalona or madrid and this year is a year that barcalona themselves should not be in europe but uefa give in and have allowed them to still enter.

• 96 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Transfer Sage

narrrr its not my thing, 😉 but i do get your point

i love watching undercover boss, same thing really, the boss has the bigger picture, but he carnt see it from every angle, but its genially humbling for them to come down and learn something that takes them forward for the troops on the ground.

i know he cares, he does his best, but its not good enough at this level

• 97 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM

OurToon @ 83

Interestingly the ‘reason’ given by the owner of Forest to sell his two stars to us was the EFP rules.

The idea that a wealthy foreigner owner will plow unlimited amounts into the club without regard to the EFP rules is probably out of the question.

• 98 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Ha ha.

I am loving me some onion analogies.

• 99 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Toon King

Why should Barcelona not be in CL this season?

• 100 stuart no9 // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM

lilongwe —– ah rite . thinking about it , someone did mention that today , when did that happen ??

• 101 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

TK

Have you considered getting the help you clearly need? You’re a psychiatrist’s wet dream

Wenger has given Arsenal 17 years non-stop CL football and was successful early on and is again now while always producing fabulous football.

In his alleged barren period Wenger got to the final of the European cup, as well as semis and finals of other competitions.

KK effectively came 2nd twice and 3rd and 6th in 4/5 seasons while playing the most exciting football ever seen at SJP

KK had the guts to stand up to Ashley and exposed him in court as a liar. You’ve got a bit of a mouth on you calling KK a coward.

Pardew stays because he has a stupidly long contract and knows he will never get another gig like this one when if he had any dignity he would have walked after the Reading defeat.

Capello: Why are you comparing him? Capello had a phenomenal record and CV.

”I’m a winner ”Pardew ” has won…erm….Oh yes found it, (fanfare and drum roll) the mighty Johnson Painter trophy

Martinez with the lowest crowd at Wigan had to sell Valencia, Palacios, Moses, Rodallega and others and play people like Caldwell and kept them up for years on a shoestring before one year it was just a step too far. Even then he still won the FA cup against money bags city

Shearer couldn’t motivate his great mates Duff, Given and Owen and Butt to scrape the bare minimum points required in his near 10 matches to avoid relegation.

Don’t really know what your points are as they rarely seem to hang together beyond blind faith and blissful ignorance.

Can I suggest sea kelp.

• 102 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Toonking @ 95

EFP rules were the reason the owner of Forest said for selling his two star players to us.

So somebody is taking it seriously.

• 103 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Slank

That’s my point it’s all changed around now. The big issue for me is that we still need players and the TV money hasn’t been spent yet!!

• 104 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Catchy

Very true, it’s the same concept really, it’s good to see people genuinely want to learn…maybe Pardew is as sick as us of not having the right players and being trod on and simply cannot motivate himself to improve and do more…or maybe he has asked and being denied…either way it simple doesn’t work for the club.

Toonking

Southampton used academy players and finished above us…it can be done. Good loans early on, then bring one or two into the team or use them off the bench. It’s a gradual process, doesn’t need to be all one way or all the other.

Obviously can’t use them if not good enough or don’t have potential for the sake of it, but a good academy produces players capable of making the transition into the first team.

• 105 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

LMAO

it sounds like he does,,

i don’t know if you remember this storey about shearer,

asprilla and ginolla were really showing off one training session, and some kid asks shearer why don’t you don’t , shearer took the ball and started doing tricks with it, he then turned to the group that was there some reporters were there and said id do it more often if there was a point to it, the game is about getting the ball into the net and scoring more than the other team

• 106 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM

@Scottie Sorry but he has been through to much with the club to be sold.

That goal vs Arsenal was the greatest NUFC moment I have ever witnessed and ever will witness.

James Milner is a perfect example of this. He was such a loyal player and the club wen’t and sold him even though he didn’t wan’t to leave.

And now look at him you could argue he is one of the main players in the League winners. I remember city managers praising him saying he is god for the dressing room and does his job well.

• 107 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Stuart,
    I think it was just announced this morning, that is when I saw it on the BBC website.

• 108 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Toonking

You need a plying philosophy throughout the club so when the kids step up they aren’t being asked to change, just play their natural game but with better players supporting them as well as challenging them.

• 109 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

toonking

i see you not replying to my post

you know its all true

search your feelings

• 110 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM

He is one of our best players and has been for years. He is our vice captain.

You think Man City would go sell Yaya Toure and the drop of a hat? Or Arsenal Wilsher or any other club? I don’t think so.

• 111 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Catchy,
    Ha, yeah. There has to be an end product. I remember doing a tour of the Maracana about 10 years ago, and they had a bloke standing in a room doing keepy ups and tricks. I asked the tour guide if he actually played and the bloke laughed and said no, this guy is like a clown. He can only perform at a circus.

As an old coach of mine used to say “football is about getting the ball from your half to the opponents goal using the quickest safe method of doing so. Nowt more, nowt less”. The game has changed now, but the principle remains the same.

• 112 toonking // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM

OT

well they breached a trafficing rule and should have been banned from transfers for a whole year but them from fifa give in and have allowed barca to still sign players

than tells me one clear message big teams are too good to punish and they will get what they want

city and PSG broke the FFP rule but they only get fined and are made to only name a 21 man squad that is nothing in there eyes they should have both been banned from europe

• 113 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Sage

Nail on head. It can also extend out to the signings a club makes.

Brining in foreign players and asking them to play the old fashioned English way is not going to work. They have been coached from childhood to play differently. You need to identify players that fit into the managers philosophies or a manager that can change his style to suit the players he has got.

The team seems to be at a tipping point. The players can’t adapt to Pards and Pards can’t adapt for the players.

What’s the next step? Sell the entire team and invest in Pardews philosophy or sack Pardew and invest in a new philosophy for the team?

Either way it can’t go on unless Ashley is achieving everything he wants.

• 114 SUFC_rule // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM

You can have a great next season in the Chsmpiondhip

• 115 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Well; I don’t feel so pessimistic about the game this Sunday.

Not now that Pardpoo thinks De Jong and Tiote will be fit.

I just hope that they’re both match fit. If they both start I can see them coming off after an hour. Hopefully those subs won’t have too much bearing on the result of the game, if that is indeed what happens.

It’s my feeling that De Jong will be a very important player fot this year. If we can keep him fit and he’s firing on all cylinders I expect him to surprise a few people with his quality.

Tiote we all know about. When he’s playing well he can break things up as well as anyone in the league.
    Then again, when he’s of form he can look like a liability.

Lets hope he too has a great season.
    And i’d rather he wasn’t sold, because I can’t imagine we will replace him with anyone other than the players we already have in the squad.

• 116 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Beatroll25

That’s the problem MA is happy with the results the inept one produces.

LVG is a manager who is well known for going into clubs and changing the set up immediately by focusing on the youth.

• 117 Slank // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Kevymartins

All the top Premiership clubs have sold their top players.

All Premiership clubs outside the top table, like ourselves, are always going to be at the mercy of bigger clubs. This transfer window Southampton are probably the best example.

The key for us is astute buying and knowing when to sell.

• 118 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

@Slank that’s complete bullsh*t and you know it is…

The club always acts like we have no money but the truth is all our signings where paid for by players out… So when asked about the 70 odd mil or whatever it was tv money the club goes quiet… If they used the funds that it generated we could keep our best players and buy more. F***ing cheap skates of the league. If there was a thrift shop for football players MA and Alan pardew would be in it every day.

• 119 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Transfer you posted earlier on a story about Michael Vaughan and his methods of getting help -or an alternative view and specifically you mentioned :-
    “He also knew a bloke who sat in the same seat at Lord’s cricket ground and he’d ring him up every now and then, ask if he had seen anything…he’d say 90% of it was rubbish as he as just a fan and on the outside…but every now and then he’d have a gem of wisdom which helped him.”

I am now seriously wondering if Percy has been ringing up Toonking -might explain a lot.

• 120 londonderry toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM

lot of manager talk foran managers i mind last year at start or season before cant mind but steve clarke had wba playing gd stuff worked under the special one was rated above rodgers there like at chelsea

• 121 toonking // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM

TS
    the thing about building a team from the academy is they take years to be produced, sadly managers now come to a football club and know fans want instant sucess the worst thing you could ask for if you are going to build from the grass roots.
    the easiest way to see it is just look at how manay managers get sacked after just one year in charge then look at how long it took for enrique to finally adapt to the premier league because what that says to me is managers aren’t confidient enough of remaining as manager for a long enough period of time to bring players from the ranks.
    so if there job could be only 1 season why both bring up youth when there are lots of already developed players to be bought.

loans is the only way to do it but with loans it’s wages which are an issue unless we were happy enough to loan them to a lesser premier league team

anyway got to go now

TS been a good chat mate

• 122 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Does anyone like having anchovies on their pizza?

• 123 dufuss // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

as much as sardines on stotties ffs

• 124 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I just don’t see the point in buying players if there to be sold on for more.

What’s the point in bringing players lkie Aarons and Armstrong through if there just sold.

What’s the point?

Well part of that point is the club remains a top 10 club while MA is pulling money out of the club and people are to stupid and believe the bulls**t story’s that we had to sell for financial fair play or whatever when the club will be already pulling in around £70m and not spending near half that.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Londonderry,
    When Rogers worked under Mourinho, he was starting out in the game and was working with the academy. Clarke on the other hand had a wealth of experience as a number two, most notably under Sir Bobby at NUFC. Part of the reason Clarke was given the role at Chelsea was due to Mourinho’s links with Sir Bobby. I think it is pretty unfair to say that Clarke was higher rated then Rogers, as they were at completely different stages of their careers.

• 126 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Toonking,
    To counter your point, if players, the example you gave was Enrique, take so long to settle and managers know they only have a year, why would they buy any foreign players?

• 127 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM

toonking

I hope you read this later.

Nobody I know is asking for instant success. What we all pray for is future success and that can only be achieved by laying the ground work now. We all accept that it doesn’t happen overnight but after 4 years there should be some improvement.

We are not moving forward, we are not aiming higher, we are not looking to the future.

We are simply buoyant in a sea of mediocrity.

I would accept lower table finishes if I thought we would in the future look to improve. I would accept poor football if it seemed as if the manager was looking for our style to evolve. Hell I’d even accept selling our better talents if the money was continuously reinvested to help the club grow.

• 128 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM

@Beatroll There is no future when the club keeps selling it for a profit.

• 129 JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER) // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM

so mr pardew has set sights on 48 pts…why cnt he set a 60+ pts target…. ap out

• 130 Rake // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I really think it’s possible we might see the back of Pardew if we’re in the bottom five or 3 come Christmas. Ashley won’t accept any excuses after ‘investing’ this summer. Pardew himself said that Ashley has relished we needed more players in certain area’s and he probably feels we have that now. I dont expect anyone to come in on the transfer front now and I can see us struggling… I hope we don’t but don’t we all want the back of Pardew.

• 131 Spreadthetoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Beattie

Completely agree.

One minute you have AP saying champions league the next 48 pts and mid table mediocrity! It just does not make any sense to me?!

What are our real targets? For example if we sell Tiote which IMO would be a BIG mistake and not sign an out and out striker which appears to be the case then despite all our signings which only amount to a net spend of £3m so far, then where is the ambition, where is the intent. Talk is cheap and quite frankly between AP and MA actions they do not amount to much. If we can save HBA’s career, I’d say sack Pardew as he is very easily replaceable. I mean we haven’t even replaced Cabaye. Cabella and SDJ are GREAT signings but not so in a vacuum.

• 132 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Kevy

You are right but there could be a future is if things were done correctly.

You grow players, sell them on and replace them with new ones.

Look how much Ajax have spent over the years. It can be done but sadly the club creates too few Carrolls and too many Chopras and the man upstairs doesn’t want to invest so we as a club have no future.

Couple that with having no present day wither and all we have is history.

• 133 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM

@Rake but that’s the thing we haven’t invested anythng we sold 3 or 4 players and brought in 9 for around the same price.

MA doesn’t give a shit how this season turns out when he is gona be sitting collecting around £70m a season.

• 134 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Sorry that’s £70m in tv rights as well all know they have a bit of a wage policy so god knows how much there making from match tickets and shirt sales an all aswell could well be over £100m

No to mention the fact he is getting a very big lot of advertsing aswell…. We our being robbed blind.

• 135 Rake // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM

@ Kevy

That’s why i said ‘invested’. My point is he will see it as he has provided Pardew with a team that he asked for. So I hope and it is my belief that Pardew has no excuses if things go down hill this year and such I believe Ashley could sack Pardew.

• 136 Spreadthetoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Team for Citeh
    ———————-Krul—————————-
    Jannmat——-Williamson/MYM—–Colo–Hairdr
    —————–Sissoko——Tiote——————
    Cabella————-SDJ——————Aarons
    ——————–River—————————

• 137 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM

spreadthetoon

Whilst we will never know I think the target is to make the first team self sustainable so that Ashley doesn’t have to invest in it. It invests in itself. One player out, one player in. All at no cost to Ashley.

Take a little off the top for the costs of running the place and Ashley nets himself whatever profit comes after merchandise, ticket sales, TV revenue, sponsorship etc…

I’d be amazed if the debt he took on hasn’t already been repaid. I mean since he took over in 2008 he has made something like £20 million on transfers.

• 138 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM

* 2007

• 139 Spreadthetoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Beattie

No issues with MA knocking down the debt. Arsenal have already repaid Emirates and are now a real power house in the transfer market if they want to be.
    If we repaid the £130m debt in two season and then had £70m+ each transfer window then we could compete. As it stands we’re not reducing the interest free loan. Why? So MA can cash in on free advertising for Sports Direct. It’s complete mis-management of the club.
    If he wants the model to be self-funding then he has to employ really good coaches from top to bottom. I mean a complete clear out. Look at Southampton and look how many players they have sold, most of them home grown!

• 140 dufuss // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

The purpose of the comments is simply to allow Newcastle supporters around the world to express their views on the news of the day regarding Newcastle United.

Please respect the views of others, even when those views are completely opposite to what you think and believe.

• 141 dufuss // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM

replace pardew with an anchovy

• 142 hitman // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

if ashley was going to sack p45due he would of after the heedbut carry on,it was the perfect time.but he didnt,we are stuck with him just like ashley,when ashley goes so wil p45due,there like burt and ernie off seaseme street,you get 1 you get the fkin other.:)

• 143 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Is 48pts less than what we got last season?

• 144 dufuss // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

According to reports, the 28-year-old is eager to leave the north-east this summer, and has told his representatives to engineer him a move away from St James’ Park.
    can we get him to bite pardumps head off

• 145 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Yes Our Toon…we got 49 points last season and finished 10th.

It took 69 points to get into Europe last season and only 64 points the season we finished 5th.

• 146 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Our toon

Yeah, one point less.

Pards says it’s the average over the last 10 seasons. That was wrong as well as we actually have averaged 52.5 (including a year in the championship).

• 147 Beatroll25 // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Spreadthetoon

I don’t know why he deosn’t look at other models.

Dortmund is another great example. They couldn’t afford massive transfers so invested in youth, had some lean years and now are in a position to pay £20-30 million for a players if they want.

For me Ashley is trying to be a magician. Distracting some fans with first team investment with one hand whilst with the other, setting out his stall to ensure a mid table finish.

• 148 WLtoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Here we go again, Pardew spouting total crap about his teaget of finishing high uup the table.
    Its getting close to the end of the window and news of Tiote leaving is a big worry.
    We need a ball winner to help De Jong and Colbeck for me is,nt more than just a squad player.
    IF Tiote does leave, and knowing the way the club run,he probably will, we will not replace him in time.
    Big trouble ahead for us me thinks.

• 149 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We really can’t sell this guy like..

”Leon best when you have the ball and hear Cheik coming you have to get of the way and just let him take the ball because he is like a train coming”

”Pardew we don’t have the same skin color im white your black but your my son”

• 150 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’d prefer a tin of anchovies in the hot seat to Pardew.

Can’t imagine they’d completely contradict themselves from one interview to the next.

Padrew out.
    Anchovies in.

• 151 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Beatroll25 & Jesper

I’m often referred to as a “moaner” so do you believe as a “moaner” I have no right to moan about the lack of ambition from that statement?

We’ve gone from champions league to 48 pts in the space of a week…This is why I moan!!

• 152 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I wonder how Welsh will view it

• 153 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Our Toon…ambition and constructive criticism have nothing to do with moaning mate!

• 154 T.T.V.V.T. // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

“Grisly Adams did have a beard!”

• 155 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM

So from CL to an average league position of 10th-12th in a week….
    Way to try and get the fans back onside!

@DeadlineDayLive: Everton have reached an agreement to sign Chelsea winger Christian Atsu on a season-long loan. (Source: Sky Sports)
    Think that will end any interest in Hatem

Oh and £1.5 mil for Martin Kelly? How quick has that lad fallen out of favour!

• 156 hitman // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

you have a right to moan when your being taken for a mug,i would be stunned if you didnt.

• 157 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

If it stood to me our coach should be dragged by his hair and shown the gates of Newcastle and told never to come back!

• 158 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

(I have to admit that I gave up filtering out all the “pardew oot” cack repeated from the last 200 threads and just scrolled to the bottom to actually comment on the subject of the article. Sorry if I’m ignoring or repeating any comments.)

So – about what Pardew said:

The 48 points thing is a cop-out answer that basically avoids saying anything for the press to latch onto and hit him with later. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have at least 6th in his head after the summer they’ve had.

What’s far more interesting is the stuff he said about January – even suggesting that we ADD players rather than sell at that point. That sounds like a dig at his boss to me, and a warning shot that he can’t get away with decimating the squad halfway through the season.

The question is: what does he intend to do if he gets us back up to 6th for January and Ashley DOES repeat his sabotage act of last season? Will he walk?

He will if he has any self-respect at all.

• 159 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM

We should be clear here, and not ignore the rest of the statement…. he does say that the club dreams of higher than that. This is still not exactly as inspiring as a champs league push.

• 160 beefman13 // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I do think at times this season we will see some good attacking football,we will also see some serious defending of leads we put ourself in, the points are just to precious in this premiership, Colbeck has said that if we go one nil up we are not going to just sit on it but push for another goal, i cannot believe that under Alan Pardew, i have watched our performances to many time to believe that.

I hope it is correct about keep pushing forward but something just keeps saying to me this Manager needs the points desperately, and they are far to precious to give away.

Also we have no real bite in the middle of the park, Tiote does have his moments of course but i see him as a liability many times in and around our box, Colbeck seems ok, nowt owa, hope he proves me wrong, Sissoko is hot and cold and certainly dos not put the frighteners on anyone, Anita while decent with the ball is about as heavy as two bags of sugar, all this leads to more pressure being put on our defese, which i like many others on here surely have to be a bit worried about, i certainly am.

FOR ME ITS A SEASON OF THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY AND THE AVERAGE!!! 53/55 POINTS.

• 161 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Like I said earlier “I just can’t help smiling while all this unfolds!”

…and the management slowly gets shown for what they are! It been a slow process in here, but we are getting there.

• 162 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Whumpie…he didn’t walk in February – that was when I lost the last shred of respect I had for the man!

• 163 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Jesper

Pardew shouldn’t be anywhere near us he’s tactically inept mate

• 164 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

beefman…that would probably only get us as high #9 – #8 if the season end up as the one where we finished #5.

…teams were dropping points like it didn’t matter :)

• 165 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Our Toon…it seems he has convinced quite a few that it’s just a rumor 😀 lol

• 166 lesh // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Telling words from Pardew:

“…Hopefully we can conduct our business well in that window, and strengthen again…..”

That says to me that there’s no more incomers and he’s relying on the January window to hopefully strengthen.

But if Tiote’s gonna be away, the squad’s gonna be weaker from the start of the season and he’s hoping that January topping up will propel us to getting more than 48 points.

Question: If it’s been leaked that Ashley’s looking for £8m for Tiote, why oh why does he leak his bottom line? Other clubs (eg Spurs) just play hardball and try to maximise a player’s fee.

Am I missing a trick here somewhere?

• 167 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Beatroll
    Tbf when you look at the German clubs like Doetmund Schalke etc it highlights everything wrong with Academies throughout England not just at NUFC

But yeah your right, given the apparent long term vision of the club then the youth should be top priority, have had some great conversations with sage Lilo Ruddy and Ian Toon about our academy
    The lack of quality in the coaches is first and foremost, it’s great that this brand spanking new state of the art training base has been green lighted for the academy but without the proper quality of coaches it’s all a bit redundant!
    I agree with what you said earlier about De Boer, would of gone all out to bring him and Bergkamp in
    Sold them the club as a complete rebuilding project, task the pair to install an actual philosophy throughout the club at all levels so all the teams involved play with same style/philosophy hopefully irradiating the risk in the youth adjusting to the step up as they would at the very least be in sync with the style and tactics used by the senior manager and squad
    Let them build there only coaching staff, it may cost them a bit in the short term but would be hugely beneficial in the long term!
    The whole coaching set up, not just Pardew, is past it’s sell by date at the club, even Beardsley, great player,absolute legend and top bloke but not a top coach
    The club is disjointed and fractured at all levels and will sadly remain this way until we have a coach with detailed knowledge of the European game and how to construct and utilise an academy or at the very least a fit for purpose technical director to at the very least advise and recommend coaches to help the inept management out!

• 168 kevymartins // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Could be worse Enner Valencia came out and said he hopes to get a top 4 finish with west-ham lmao

• 169 Spreadthetoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Beattie

I think most fans have wised up to both MA and AP. So often promise of the holy land, near and within our grasp is often fol-lied with not finishing the job.

I was genuinely excited about this window but yet AGAIN we fall short. For all our signings we are short of a balanced team. One or two injuries will demonstrate this again this season. We need to have a decent CF, a creative playmaker like Cabaye and a very decent CB. If we did this then I would conclude that finally the powers that be had woken up. The reality is that they haven’t. I do not see anymore signings this transfer window. A pattern all too often repeated by this lot.

As for Dortmund – a great example of how things can be done effectively.

• 170 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

So Spurs have a squad of 32 and have come out and said they need to move 7 players on, anyone think of any late window bargains to be picked up realistically?
    Personally if we manage to shift the players well and truly out of favour wouldn’t mind to see Kaboul Holtby and Townsend/Lennon

• 171 beefman13 // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Jesper, its a wee bit negative on my behalf, i just cannot see real consistency, 8th or 9th is were i see us Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Little and Large and Bradley Walsh about sums it up for me! haha!

• 172 scout // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Met Lennon at York races he was with Dawson. Both seemed good lads. Would take either really

• 173 nicktoon // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Did anyone see the interview earlier from AP on teamtalk.com?
    He mentions tiote and hoping that him and sdj are fit for
    Man city and both massively important to the team. Surely of they were going to sell tiote he wouldn’t be saying that?

• 174 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Tads

have they (spurts) got a decent striker we could nab?

• 175 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Going off Twitter the people who went to today’s open training session there was a whole lotta love for Ryan Taylor and how good/sharp he was looking on the pitch
    Anybody go who can offer some insight?

• 176 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Markaccus
    They have that Shola Sodaldo lad…

• 177 dufuss // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM

any cries for aurfer bin

• 178 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Tads

Soldado? Isnt that spannish for “Fred”?

• 179 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Kevy

Enner Valencia said what about who, now?? WHU top four? Bwahahahaha.

• 180 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Alan has brought in some top players during the summer who will guarantee us Premiership survival in spite of the manager. 48 points is about right and full credit to Alan for being so honest. He is a breath of fresh air in the Premiership.

• 181 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM

48 points and no Cups.

• 182 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Markaccus
    I believe it translates roughly to “a sh1tter Shola”

• 183 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Beefman…if it’s any comfort I see us finish somewhere along the line of last season as well…unless of course this season end up something like the season we finish 5th.

…then anything is really possible! That was one strange season :)

• 184 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM

That striker we all wanted isn’t coming Is he :( ? .

Or the CB .

• 185 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM

BPC
    The CB came but for some daft reason we sent him back

• 186 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Tads

Sounds plausible. I think id have taken a risk on re signing Shola rather than soldado 😀

• 187 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Last year Alan was set a target of 10th and made it by the skin of his teeth. It seems that the target this year is 48 points. Just to survive then? And no Cups.

• 188 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Jimley
    I really can’t see that being the target
    Would Ashley really spend all that money (well not spend, re invest from sales, technically we ain’t spent f**k all!) only to set him a target of one point lower than the previous season?

Or do the dynamic duo think all us dumb jawdee’s will accept that as long as they try to make it look like we’re having a crack at at cup (gunning for the fifth round this year!!!)

• 189 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

When did a club ever set out to achieve its average points? How hopeless is that? A club not fit for purpose. Dysfunctional,

• 190 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Toonarmy,
    That is the problem man. We are that dumb! I will excuse myself as I stopped going two years ago after a run of 50. Ashley is making tens of millions a season out of the club. Why would he sell? He can kick Geordie ass with a mediocre team and no ambition and coin it in. Its a win win for big Mike.

• 191 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Markaccus
    Watched the spuds Schalke game the other day
    He’s useless
    The commentators were purring over his goal, I wondered what goal they had just seen as the one i saw bounced off his face and lobbed the keeper!
    Luckily Jermaine Pennant (yes he is still alive!) was quick to point out he had been poor all game and missed an open goal 5 minutes earlier!

• 192 jimiley // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Pards seems to think that 48 points and no Cups is a great season. Happy viewings lads. Whats an average season?

• 193 beermonkey // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM

tads

that was jenas wasn’t it

• 194 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM

beer
    Lol yup sorry mate brain freeze moment
    Thanks for me showing me up though…..appreciate that 😉

• 195 deeps // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Just selected my team for the fantasy league

De gea

Filipe luis– Debuchy–Cameron

Eriksen–mata–silva–Hazard–Sterling

-Rooney –Riviere

• 196 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Tads

Only the Jermaine penetant man may pass in his quest for the holy grail!

• 197 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

deeps…actually think that’s a very good team you have picked there

• 198 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Jermaine Penetant and Jermaine Jesus! Its all gone holy in here!

• 199 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I made changes to my fantasy team because tiote was injured, but of he is going to play i might have to change back. Going to wait until friday though.

• 200 deeps // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Jesperfuglsang

Man United got some easy fixtures to start off with..
    So I’m expecting Rooney and Mata to bang the goals in..
    Hopefully Riviere can bang in some too against city 😀

• 201 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

HowardGoalkeeper0.00160LEI (A)AzpilicuetaDefender0.00109BUR (A)DebuchyDefender0.0093CRY (H)José EnriqueDefender0.0035SOU (H)SánchezMidfielder0.000CRY (H)MahrezMidfielder0.000EVE (H)Yaya TouréMidfielder0.00241NEW (A)HazardMidfielder0.00202BUR (A)AnichebeForward0.0062SUN (H)AgüeroForward0.00156NEW (A)RivièreForward0.000MCI (H)ElliotGoalkeeper0.002MCI (H)Javi GarcíaMidfielder0.0042NEW (A)MonrealDefender0.0063CRY (H)DiakitéDefender0.0014WBA (A)

• 202 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Is aguero deffo not playing against us?

• 203 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

deeps…I have put my faith in Man Utd as well. And picked Riviere 😉

• 204 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Mark…I have SDJ and he is doubtful

• 205 deeps // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Markaccus

90% aguero won’t play against us..pellegrini said that he’s not fit enough yet

• 206 Bambams // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I have absolutely no doubt that Pardew is trying to take some pressure off himself. He has even worked out what the average points total we have had in the last ten years (when we have not done so well, rather than the earlier years KK) so if he gets more than 48 then…..well I have done better than the average !

He CANNOT HIDE THIS SEASON……

He had picked his players he wanted to buy, he is bragging about them, he will have HIS team now, HIS style of play ! HE is responsible for how they perform.

I am hopeful of top 7……if we get the striker and cb either this window or Jan

If we lose say Tiote, Krul and Sissoko in either window I will be very worried.

Final point. We have not touched the TV monies! Why ?

• 207 deeps // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I think Mangala and Nastasic will be city’s centre back pairing against us as kompany and demichellis both are doubtful..

• 208 DokToon // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

my team:

howard (c)
    debuchy, jagielka, kompamy, terry
    cabella, hazard, yaya toure, el ahmadi
    giroud (v), lukaku

bench:

guzan, dummett, sissoko, campbell

• 209 DokToon // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM

damn, komapny and lukaku are prob out.. gotta go change it now …

• 210 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Ok. For now i have taken out aguero and rivvy and put in dzeko and costa. It might still change before saturday

• 211 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM

People say that we are stuck with Pardew, if the abuse from the stands carries on like it was at the end of last season, with Pards stuck in his dugout, I fail to see what other choice Ashley has but to get rid, other than ban supporters from attending games…

• 212 DokToon // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM

can you change your entire team every week?

• 213 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I am just going to stick with the team I have! I have just benched SDJ though :)

*there is a thread in the forum for those who want to participate!

• 214 Markaccus // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Dok.

No. One free transfer per week once season starts. If you dont use it, it is two the following week, but thats it. Any further transfers you make on top of any free omes cost 4 points each

• 215 DokToon // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:14 PM

mark ,

thanks.. back tio the drawing board for me then :)

• 216 lesh // Aug 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM

But if Pardew’s suggesting ove 48 points makes for a good season, where did the bit about pitching for a European CL spot that Janmaat(?) came out with when he joined us?

Hope Pardew hasn’t been bull-shitting our prospective new signings just to get them in.

He wouldn’t be that daft surely? Or would he??

• 217 gazzaforever // Aug 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-face-mounting-bill-7597603 this page is way better than this blog, less idiots imo. I ll be there from now on, with my real name and face for those who d like to join :gillis hussard veber

• 218 puretoon // Aug 15, 2014 at 12:41 PM

From Bambams
    Final point. We have not touched the TV monies! Why ?Final point. We have not touched the TV monies! Why ?

We actually have as it’s in Ashley’s pocket like all monies from previous windows. Monies he’s not entitled to pocket but has damn good accountant who’s paid well to hide it

previous post: Why Is This Player Expendable At Newcastle?

next post: Better News On Newcastle’s Injury Front