Why Is This Player Expendable At Newcastle?

We’re not exactly sure what has brought this about, but it seems that Cheick Tiote could be nearing the door at St. James’ Park,  after the news broke yesterday that his representatives were looking to move their player to another club, before the end of the transfer window.

cheick tiote 99

Cheick Tiote – could be on his way out of Newcastle

There are reports that Cheick has become unsettled at St. James’ Park, so maybe some of that started when he was at the World Cup in Brazil, and certainly the second half of last season was simply abysmal at Newcastle.

Now there is news that Arsenal are interested in Cheick, and the fee that’s being quoted is a rather low £8M.

The reports suggest that Arsene Wenger rates Cheick, and there is news in the Express today that Arsenal could make a move for the 28 year-old defensive midfielder.

Two Russian clubs are said to be keen on the player – but Arsenal would seem to be a better move for Tiote.

Maybe Newcastle think they are well covered at defensive midfield with new boy Jack Colback, Vurnon Anita and Moussa Sissoko all being able to play in that position.

If Newcastle do sell Tiote for £8M – it will mean that even though Newcastle have brought in nine players this summer for about £35M, we will still make about a £5M profit on the transfers this year.

That’s when you consider Newcastle received about £32M for Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy.

Here are those nine signings.

PlayerFeeClub
Ayoze Perez£1.4MTenerife
Jack ColbackFreeSunderland
Siem de Jong£6MAjax
Remy Cabella£8MMontpellier
Emmanuel Riviere£6MMonaco
Daryl Janmaat£5MFeyenoord
Facundo Ferreyra£1.6M - Season LoanShakhtar Donetsk
Jamaal Lascelles£4MNottingham Forest
Karl Darlow£3MNottingham Forest

Below are our three social media sites:

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Geremi’s Prosthetic Leg Fund

The manager in goal was superb. he never mentioned about the grass, science or overhyped players once!!

• Blofal

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Get stuffed. Arsenal would not sell us a player of Tiote’s quality for 8 million.

If the big clubs want our players then they can pay big money for them. 8 million is market value and the but value of this player to Newcastle United is far far more than that and he should be priced accordingly. More than Debuchy at least.

• toonking

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

another day closer to kick off yet the same old nonsense dominating the forum.

what Markaccus in post 40 said seems to be just what is happening to this blog.
    people who are not fans of HBA and blame him just as much for the state he has got himself in seem to now be considered pardew lovers.

i guess you will say that about myself then because i too put HBA at just as much fault for the way he is.

well listen here you HBA lovers i have now got a new name for you.
    i call you ASHLEY LOVERS and have a very valid point for doing that.

it’s pardews fault for us not finishing 5th place every season
    it’s pardews fault for us not managing to win games when masses of injuries occur
    it’s pardews fault for destroying every single player we buy
    it’s pardews fault and being stupid when he plays players such as sammy, dummett and saylor who are the type that don’t require money from a window and are from the academy instead.
    it’s pardews fault we leak so many goals and need to focus as much on defensive as e do on attack.

yes pardew does deserve some blame but taking as extreme as some of you HBA lovers take it, blaming him 100% for the performances each and every week.
    well that tells me 1 thing and 1 thing only you lot all must love mike ashley and are so happy with the team he has made at newcastle united because it’s an absolute fact that you all keep critising our academy players and english players, only those that arrived by transfer are considered good players.

so therefore when your expecting newcastle to play attractive football, win cups and qualify for champions league all at the same time you are saying yourself this is an excellent team created by ashley ASHLEY LOVERS.

• hitman

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM

like you says ed,ashley likes making a profit every window.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Let’s say £8million plus Jack Wilshere and/or Aaron Ramsey.

Well if they are allowed to take the piss why shouldn’t we?

• Ethiotoon

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

ttvvt and those of u here who are anti-pardew little fellas,go to man utd or Chelsea or the chipmunks
    enough is enough you knobbers..

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

toonking has had a meltdown and is soon to be dethroned me thinks.

• dufuss

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

whats the miss

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

ethiotoon

Where are you from?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

toonking

Very strong post.

I agree with the sentiment, people are quick to stick others in certain camps and have an all or nothing approach.

I don’t understand how people say it was the players who got us 5th but pardew who got us 16th or vice versa.

Everybody takes some blame, the top brass (including ashley) for not bringing in enough quality and not replacing key men mid season, the manager for not creating a great system or adapting well to one or two injuries (difficult when half the team was out) and also the players for appearing to throw in the towel in some games (6-0 to liverpool and derbies) and also for making individual errors too.

In my opinion the manager and players win and lose together, sure i’d like a better manager than pardew but i’d also like a better forward than cisse or a better midfielder than sissoko.

I think under ashley we will aim mediocrity so we accept that and hope occasionally things go better and we have a good year. It’s not what anyone wants but until we see some real ambition in truly strengthening and moving to the ‘next level’ it’s all we can exec.

Although I don’t mind people talking about wanting change, wanting new managers/players, having ideas for systems, etc….it enriches the conversation on here.

• Slank

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I doubt this is about the club wanting to sell Tiote. It’s more like Tiote’s agent wanting some commission. Arsenal have an overabundance of midfield players. If they paid £12M for Debuchy then I doubt they would pay less for Tiote.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Socks is more wasted as a holding player than he is on the right wing. Colback was tiotes cover for the holding role imo, so we really need a replacement DM, unless Bigi is going to get his chance. Anita is niether DM or Box to Box, but offers a little bit of pace in the middle of the park if we need something different.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Let me get this straight; If you don’t love HBA, you must love Pardew, if you don’t love Pardew you must love Ashley. It’s a bit linear for my liking, I’d say that if you think all the above is true you must love shrooms.

We might play in black and white, but the relationships within the club and between the fans is far from. I’m not sure where I would fit in, as I would happily see all three of them pack their bags and head off over the Tyne Bridge not to be seen in these part again.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Would be great if we had a manager who came in, had no ego and did what SBR did, ie restore outcast players and got us playing football again.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Frank De Boer 2014:

“I see opportunities at Tottenham Hotspur, just as Liverpool and Newcastle, they are sleeping giants.”

One of the brightest young European managers knows that we are sleeping giants yet many of our own fans think we deserve no better than Pardew.

Imagine if we could bring in De Boer and his back room staff that consists of Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Der Saar, Stam…

It would cost a lot but I would prefer that over a £15 million striker.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

@Ethiotoon

Just because i’m anti-pardew why should i support anyone else other than this club? I’m 33 and have grown up with Newcastle United through my family all of my life.

I don’t agree with Pardew being in charge which is my right as a Newcastle fan and a geordie having been born 2 miles from the ground.

I don’t need you to tell me who i can and cant support.

Enough is enough? Knobbers?

Go play with the traffic you ****

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Slank,
    I’d say it is more about Tiote wanting to get a last big contract on a top wedge. By the time his contract here is up he will be 30/31. If he left now he could join a good club on a good wedge with a 4 year deal. That would be his career sorted.

• toonking

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM

another thing about HBA and his attitude.

if pardew is an awful manager because he can’t manage to sort out HBAs attitude.

rodgers should be considered the worst one too because he couldn’t stop suaez diving or biting

robson is there for rubbish as he couldn’t prevent a fight breaking up on the pitch and stop bowyer causing mayhem

the city managers couldn’t stop balletelli from causing the chaos he caused
    one of them must be poor as he couldn’t manage to handle tevez when he over reacted as sub.

the police must all be shit because they can’t stop crimes and give us a perfect world

USA must be rubbish army as they needed to use a nuclear weapon to stop a war

britain and france must be rubbish as they couldn’t do peaceful talks with hitler

britain and USA must be poor nations now as we couldn’t do peacful talks with iraq and saddem.

these all have the same dillema as pardew has with HBA, the truth is no one except the person himself can control his mind so it’s up to HBA to sort out all them issues.

all he is doing right now with toon fans is causing the same trouble hitler caused with british, french and german citizens

the same thing that saddem caused with iraq british and americans

and
    the same the bowyer caused with dyer.
    fights and wars.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM

lilongwe

I agree entirely, he starts whenever fit and captained the side…obviously held in high regard so doubt we’d sell for close to 8mil.

I really rate tiote, his passing has come on, he has cut out some of the daft fouls and bookings and looks much calmer on the pitch. I think he will be important this year for us.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Lilo

Agree with you to a point. Obviously the disappearance of Ash and pardew would make me ecstatic, but I think Benny is a slightly different case. I know you’re not a fan, but he is a rare talent who has lost his way and fallen from grace.

Under the guidance of a SBR type who knows if he could yet add to his 5 league titles.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM

beatroll

with our finances and profits over the last couple years we could afford that management team and a £15mil striker.

I still find it fascinating that we don’t hire a better manager and academy staff, if nothing else it ensures the same results for less total expenditure or ideally better results with the same expenditure.

• Slank

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Lil @ 5

I would take Serge Gnabry in exchange.

Perhaps Wenger wants a younger player as Flamini is 30 years ?

• AndyMac

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Has Toonking been in the sun all day ? Excessive heat does strange things to the mind !

• hitman

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

toonking,it was souness who was manager when bowyer and dyer came to blows,not sbr

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Pawl

My choice was Poyet last year but he moved on….now I’d go with Rosler

Btw Ath Madrid beat Chelsea in the super cup 2 years ago 5-1, Falcao got a hat trick…They smashed the champions of Europe. If Barcelona and Real Madrid were in the premiership then they’d walk it every year. What Simeone has achieved there is a miracle, the English league is interesting but it’s not the best league and it doesn’t have the best teams.

My point on Ath Madrid is related to you saying that we’d never break the top 4 because it would cost an a lot of money. They are an example of what can be achieved by a club when run correctly. Torres went they signed Falcao he went they had Costa.

• Markaccus

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Beatroll

“One of the brightest young European managers knows that we are sleeping giants yet many of our own fans think we deserve no better than Pardew”

I think you are wide of the mark there. I don’t think ANY NUFC fan thinks we deserve no better than Pardew. Many think we will not get better than Pardew under Ashley, but thats about as close as it gets. Of course every fan deserves and wants the best manager available.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

rotonda

I think people over play the ability of ben arfa, he has stacks of talent but has always lacked consistency and fallen out with all his managers…which does lead me to say that this was bound to happen sooner or later, people can change but don’t often completely change…he is much calmer than he was when younger but we still don’t know exactly what has gone on to cause this problem.

• T.T.V.V.T.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

@Ethiotoon

Don’t dare tell me who i can’t and can’t support.

As a 33 year old bloke who has been a fan for as long as i can remember, brought up with a proud Newcastle United supporting family, and born 2 miles from the ground, then it’s my right to be able to state my opinion.

Especially when that bloke is one of the many crosses that this great club has to bear.

Why on earth would I go and support one of those clubs when i bleed black & white?

What? So i have to sit here and take something i disagree with because some random bloke thinks we should just sit here quietly and accept watching our club being made a monkey of?

Enough is enough is it?

You’re probably right, so why don’t you scram from the blog you muppet.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Sage,
    I think given there would appear to be no centre half arriving this summer then he is crucial. We need a good shield in front of the back line this year. Tiote and Anita/Colback can give us that. Tiote helps break up play, the other covers marauding full backs.

If he goes we need someone similar in quality who can break up play. For £8million, this close to the season? No chance.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

slank

I’d do a deal if it involved gnabry and flamini (think flamini was good last year, commentators sang his praises for a long time, he has fight and passion, breaks play well and good on the ball).

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Pardew is like a chef that continuously serves you Aldi based beans on toast.

You’re never going to starve but you will never be satisfied. I suppose some people are better at stomaching what’s on offer than others.

But if we could get a bright young foreign chef into the kitchen and pay him the same amount then he might be able to serve us up an assortment of delightful dishes that everyone can enjoy. A variety of meals, exciting cooking techniques, exquisite displays of culinary delight. The type of gourmet food that can be found in Michelin star restaurants but at half the cost and using lesser ingredients.

In the same respect I suppose the new chef could burn the kitchen down or give us food poisoning.

I suppose what it boils down to is can you live on beans and toast for another 5 years or would you rather take a risk and hire a new chef in the hope he can give you something more, because we deserve better.

• Ethiotoon

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Beatroll25// Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    I am from black African descent live in Arab world..

• Slank

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Lil @ 16

Yes, I can see that but is Arsenal a good choice ? I suppose they have the money and Champions League.

Man United would appear a better bet perhaps before Van Gaal was appointed as I’m not quite sure of the direction he is taking the club.

• toonking

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM

hitman
    thanks for correct me there my mistake.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Toon King

Clearly the king of looney toons….Make sure you take your crazy pills mate.

Tiote is irreplaceable, he brings so much to the team….I think it’s probably more to do with a player that’s wanting to win something in his career and has become sick of the constant drivel spouted by the regime….AMBITION

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Rotonda,
    HBA has lost his way at every club he has been at as well. I really don’t want to get into this debate again though, it is becoming mind numbing. He could do better under a better manager, but he will never fulfil his potential because of attitude problems. You keep saying 5 titles, but he was hardly a key player in any of those seasons. Too much water under the bridge, they should all ship out. HBA for the good of his career, the other two back to whichever hole they initially crawled out of.

Slank,
    Wenger has given Arteta captaincy and sees him as the holding midfielder this season, but he is also knocking on. Gnabry looks decent, but not sure he would be right for us at this stage. Still, Tiote is probably only worth £8-10 million, but to our side he is far more valuable than that.

• Beatroll25

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Markaccus

It depends on how much value you place on the word many.

My usage of the word was to indicate that more than a few think we deserve him, such is their faith in his abilities. I have had lots of arguments on this blog where people have tried to say that Pardew is good and that we do not have a divine right to expect more.

I suppose my choice of words didn’t express my intentions very well.

• ToonTiger

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Unless its 8mil plus player they’ll need to bid more. Maybe a change of dynamics and no need for a holding mid specialist.
    Colback and Sissoko in the middle taking turns going forward.

Tiote has given us one great goal, lots of yellows, a few reds and some costly give away free kicks. He’s been a great servant to the club if he feels the move is right for him then so be it.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

toonking

I think you’ll find Pardew is a rubbish manger for all of the following, not just Ben Arfa:-

Nearly relegated 3 clubs

Took Charlton from the PL to the bottom 3 of the championship

Had 2 Record losing steaks in the history of WHU and NUFC

Record number of consecutive losses 2 seasons running

Record number of goals conceded 2 seasons running

Least number of goals scored

Incited crowd demos against him at WHU and Charlton

Headbutted a player

called a senior respected coach an ”f—ing old c–t

Plays a god awful ”containing” style of football.

Drops people irrespective of form

Plays his favourites irrespective of form

Hasn’t changed a set piece routine for 4 seasons

Constantly lies
    – – – – – – – – – – – – –

I could go on but what’s the point, I hope you and your love of all things mediocre will be very happy together.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

toonking – I’ve read your previous post – I still do not get how someone who likes HBA must be an Ashley lover. Could you please explain a bit more.