Newcastle Defender About Fiorentina Move – You Never Know

There have been rumors in almost every transfer window that Newcastle’s Italian International full-back Davide Santon would be moving back to Italy, with a number of  clubs said to be interested in taking the 23 year-old back home.

davide santon action

Davide Santon – in action last season for Newcastle

And the latest news coming form the italian press is that he could make a move back to Serie A with Fiorentina, but Davide has always insisted he is happy at Newcastle.

The Italian international has played 93 times for Newcastle over the last three seasons with one goal, and he is not expected back until sometime next month – as he recovers from a knee injury after missing all of Newcastle’s pre-season.

This is what he had to say in an interview with FirenzeViola about a possible move:

“I don’t know of anything and have been training with Newcastle and I am focused on the upcoming season.”

“Fiorentina is a good team with a great coach and they play beautiful football. In life as I always say – you never know what’s around the corner.”

“But for now I’m concentrating on Newcastle and the upcoming season.”

Newcastle have both Massadio Haidara and Paul Dummett as cover for Davide, with French U21 International Haidara likely to get the nod at left back for Newcastle against Manchester City on Sunday.

But it would seem a risk if Newcastle were to sell Davide this summer, and although he didn’t have a good season last term, not many other Newcastle players played well in the second half of the season either.

Hopefully it’s going to be a lot better this season.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Couldn’t blame him if he did want to move back to Italy, very few italian players play abroad anyway, tend to say at home….or always go back there.

Also it makes me wonder why english players never want to move abroad (other than the obvious of less money) as the lifestyle in some of these countries (when you have plenty of money as professionals do) is beautiful.

Would also give some of our players the chance for first team football they don’t get over here and improve the national side.

LILONGWE – we always discuss coaching/young players….would you agree or disagree the FA could do well to try and establish links with foreign clubs to try and encourage payers to go away instead of playing 2nd tier english football or be reserve players in the prem league….even to just encourage top clubs to loan British lads abroad more.

• G

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Good going forward, not so good at the back, although to me his timing seems to improve with regular game time. I don’t think any offers would be huge money, so I would personally keep him around.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Colo, Mbiwa, Haidara, Santon, Sissoko, Anita, Tiote, De Jong, Cabella, Cisse, Riviere, Gouffran

Thats 12 players who are not home grown, you are allowed 17 in the squad…..and I missing any who will be named in the squad (obviously left jonas and ben arfa).

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Martoon,
    No, Coates wouldn’t count as home grown. You have to have spent 3 years at an English club between the ages of 17 and 21.

Jeff,
    Only played 37 minutes for Liverpool? He has played a lot more than that! He has played 24 games I think for Pool, and was a major part of the team that won a cup under Dalglish, playing in almost every game.

I agree, difficult to say he is better, as he certainly hasn’t shown it in the league, but a loan wouldn’t be too risky for us.

• Slank

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Wouldn’t be too surprised if Santon returned to Italy as we now have cover at left back with Haidara, Dummitt, Raylor and in emergencies Colback.

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I’d give him a long stint on the right wing this season

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM

maybe off the bench and in all the cup games

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I get the feeling Mike would bite at taking him off the wage bill considering he has Dummett and Haidara for this position..

So long as he brings in his market value.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Slank

I’m never convinced entirely of santon, think I prefer hiadara but still rate him higher than dummet.

But if the club don’t rate him and we can get some cash/free wages up then it makes sense to sell him.

• Markaccus

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM

If he did go it frees up a spot for coates (if he comes).

• Slank

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Transfer Sage @ 3

Are loan players included or excluded (re Ferreyra) ?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Marrkaccus

We are allowed 17 non home grown players….i listed 12 above and missed janmaat so 13….have i missed more?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Jail – seeing that you mentioned me and expat -just curious as to what you meant.
    Expat has posted on here previously, I might have as well, that I knew him before he went to Oz, and our parents had known each other before that. We have a bit of reciprocal oneupmanship on the blog – mostly amusing I would have thought.

• G

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM

If it came to a choice of Santon or Coates, I think I would rather keep Santon. Seems the less risky option of the two. No offence to Dummett, but I still don’t really rate him that well. Hopefully he will get the chance to make me eat my words though, and I will savour every one of them.

• Markaccus

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Sage

Ferreyra would have to be. I am sure there is more..

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Sage,

What about:

Janmaat, Obertan, Abeid, Ferreyra,

• G

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Is Obertan classed has home-grown? How old was he when Manyoo bought him?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

phatoon

cheers, remembered janmaat, then ferreyra and obertan..not sure if abeid will feautre

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Sage,
    Man Utd used to send lots of youngsters to the Belgian league, they still have a link up with Antwerp. Chelsea had half a team playing in the Dutch top flight last year.I’m not sure it is on the FA to do this, but it would certainly be beneficial for the clubs to establish links.

I think it very much depends on the player as to where they should go on loan. Each should be assessed on their own merits, but it would certainly be advantageous to have the links and the options. I have mentioned this a number of times on here.

It also could allow you to bring in a top foreign player who doesn’t quite meet work permit requirements yet. City have signed a young Nigerian who will join the club in a year once he meets requirements, until then he will play for one of their linked clubs.

As far as Newcastle go, players like Perez and Vuckic would probably gain far more from being loaned out to a European league then from going down to Championship/League 1. They are far better suited to that.

• Slank

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Transfer Sage @ 9

It’s always been a ‘bee in my bonnet’ about having a right footed player at left back. It’s not natural.

I agree that Haidara is my choice too. He has a great left peg and has pace and is now starting to get tougher when compared to last season. Dummitt is a good backup.

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM

G, 20 I think, definitely too old to 3 years in before 21..

• Markaccus

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Abied and bigi

• Our Toon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM

How old was Abeid when we bought him?

• G

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Mark, I believe Bigi just edges in there mate. He’s 20 now, had 2 seasons with us, and at least one full season at Coventry.

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Bigi is home grown

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Lilongwe

From what I see it’s more the foreign lads they send on loan abroad and tend to keep the English ones closer to home, not sure how accurate that is but it’s what it appears to be.

I think that it could be something for the FA to incentivise instead of proposing rules likes certain amounts of home grown in the side (5+6 rule was it?) and that sort of thing.

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM

and also under 21 (Bigi)

• Our Toon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Abeid is HG he was bought in 2011!! Is 22 now so spent 3 seasons with us before turning 22

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Abeid was 19 when we got him.

• Phatoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This is probably why we keep buying 16 to 17 year olds like Kemen 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Slank

I don’t mind if a player is capable with both feet and prefers his right but santon is very heavily right sided, can see it from how he tackles and shapes up so would prefer him on the right.

• martoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Transfer, Markaccus & Lilongwe – by my reckining we can muster 8/9 HG players
    Krul, Raylor, Saylor,

• Beatroll25

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Pardew sell a left back?

NEVER!!!!

He will buy 100 more before he ever does that. What would he do without 3 left backs on the bench. When we are 1-0 down and chasing a game with 20 minutes to go, we need the world famous left back sub. ]

We may need a striker or a center back or a creative midfielder but more importantly we need 7 left backs.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Martoon

you don’t need a certain amount of home grown….the rule is you can have a max of 17 non home grown. So if you want a full 25 man squad then you need 8 home grown, but it’s not required.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM

beatroll

That is rediculous, we need 4 at most….that way he can play them all in the game, starting one and replacing each after 20 mins.

• martoon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Oops pressed the wrong button:
    Transfer, Markaccus & Lilongwe – by my reckoning we can muster 8/9 HG players
    Krul, Raylor, Saylor, Willo, Colback,Elliot, Vuckic, Ameobi (S), Dummett and maybe Fergusson.

• Our Toon

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Transfer Sage

The problem with that kind if rule is that the premiership will go back to being just average….English lads need to step up to the plate and improve, to many below average players who think they have made it before they’ve actually achieved anything…I firmly believe that a cap should be put on the amount English players are valued at…This HG rule hasn’t helped that and just created problems for the like of Rodwell and Sinclair who just rotted away so Citeh could make the quota

• Tsunki

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

A promising player but that’s all he has been, never quite reached the heights. Defensively got caught out of position by not coming back after a run forward. Might be a bit harsh on him as the whole back line has been a shambles fir a while now, might be better in a more stable unit, and if it’s Pardew who has been getting him to go down the wing then again shame on Pardew. Why people want to try him on the wing baffles me, his end product, crossing or cutting on his right to fire a low cross or shot is absolutely dire. He can run is about all. Haidara for me is the player with the look of a good running lb, seems to concentrate more on doing his day job first and foremost.

• Beatroll25

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Sage

Poppycock.

We can’t just have a left back replacing a left back.

We need some to replace other positions as well such as LW. I marveled in delight last year when we were losing 2-0 and Ala brought on Dummet and had Santon and Dummet flying down the left wing.

Sadly we ended up losing 3-0 or something but that isn’t the point.

We need at least 8 first team lb’s and a few young ones to push them. I for one have started a petition in order for the FA to increase the sub allowance from 3 to unlimited so that mine and Pardews dream of 11 left backs on the field at once can come true.

• Markaccus

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Someone posted 10 HG players the other day. I think it was

Krul, Elliot, staylor, raylor, willo
    vuckic, colback, fergie, dummet and sameobi

1 2 3 5