Newcastle Aiming High – For Champions League

Alan Pardew has admitted that Mike Ashley has backed him big time in the transfer window, and has finally spend some of the money Newcastle have available, after we have brought in £32M in selling Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy this year, and we also received a massive £79.5M from the Premier league in May.

mike ashley cointemplating

Mike Ashley – supported Pardew this summer

By our reckoning we have spent £35M in bringing in nine good players – seven of them will be part of the first team squad – and Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow have been loaned back to Nottingham Forest to get another season pf experience laying in the Championship.

PlayerFeeClub
Ayoze Perez£1.4MTenerife
Jack ColbackFreeSunderland
Siem de Jong£6MAjax
Remy Cabella£8MMontpellier
Emmanuel Riviere£6MMonaco
Daryl Janmaat£5MFeyenoord
Facundo Ferreyra£1.6M - Season LoanShakhtar Donetsk
Jamaal Lascelles£4MNottingham Forest
Karl Darlow£3MNottingham Forest

The Newcastle manager has been upbeat over the last couple of days, and thinks he has the best squad he’s ever had at Newcastle,  since he arrived back in late 2010:

“One thing I can always give Mike Ashley is an honesty of where we are and he listens – that’s why so many players have entered the building, we needed them.”

“I’ve nothing to moan about now in terms of what’s happened this summer.” “We’ve got a strong squad, perhaps the biggest and best I’ve ever had in terms of options, so we’re in a great position.”

“I’ve been here long enough not to have to play politics with the fans. They know I’m an honest person who works hard to try to achieve success.”

“I have to make tough decisions at this club and I’ll make the ones I think are right to take this us as close as we can to winning something, or to getting us as close as we can to the Champions League, or even into the Champions League.”

So Alan Pardew has said basically there are no excuses on his part, and he will now be under intense pressure to produce the goods this season.

While Pardew (always) takes a hammering from some of the fan base, one of his best characteristics is that he is a very hard worker – in fact he’s a workaholic, and he will work his socks off next season to make Newcastle United successful.

He needs to do that to keep his job, since a mediocre season after having such a good transfer window this summer will put pressure on him, especially after the disciplinary problems Pardew had last season trying to control himself on the touchline.

We are hoping that Alan Pardew and Newcastle United are (very) successful next season – it’s really as simple as that.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Slank…68 generation?

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

REPOST

Firebug666

I agree that he has done a really good job in stabilizing the club financially and placing it on a sound self financing foundation which may become increasingly important in future years if the EFP rules are fully implemented.

Personally, I’m not bothered whether he speaks or not. When he first arrived he came with a reputation, from SD, as a bit of a recluse and rarely, if ever, talks to the media. He hasn’t changed and why should he as he employs a Managing Director and (I think) a Director of Communications to do that for him.

I agree he could use the club more effectively for advertising but he is never going to get any money from Sports Direct as I’m sure there are rules and regulations which prevent a public listed company from paying a director fees to advertise the company’s product on the director’s personal property.

I’m not bothered about the loan. It’s a normal part of running a business. No interest is being charged. It is just a figure on a balance sheet.

I thought it was St James Park?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Coach: Define honesty?

• Goofy

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM

With 48 points!!? 😀
    Sorry Pards but honesty isn’t your game. Put your money where your mouth is and I’ll give you the respect you deserve, until then nah.

• Lost Plot

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Pardew tried to walk last season after (will come to me which away game) another noticeable defeat that may well have been out of his own hands

He’d lost players through injury and transfers .. Who we blame?

Mike declined Alan’s resignation on that day and was told to sort it out

So the monies owed if sacked ain’t an issue here by the looks

BUT the players MA agreeing to are the suggestions from the Back Room so again .. Who gets the blame if things go on a spiral

Anyway, bit of positiveness .. Gonna smash the Mancs tomorrow 🙂

HWTL n Lassies amongst!!!

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Jail for Ashley

I rarely go back to the UK and even less to the North East.

Apart from supporting the club, I burnt my bridges with the North East a very long time ago. I have spent almost all of my adult life outside of the North East in the south and abroad.

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Jesper

‘ 68 generation ‘

I’m not sure if you are suggesting that I’m 68 or I was born in 68.

If it’s a hint, I thoroughly enjoyed the swinging sixtees. Great music, free love, contraceptive pills and no AIDS. Bliss.

• catchy in norway

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM

8catchy in norway // Aug 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM

did I read that correct , we operate just below arsenal ?

as I see it , arsenal don’t spent a lot , nor do we

I’m not sure what the training complexes are like , but I’m pretty sure that in terms if space and how they are kitted out they will be pretty much the same , lots of hi tech equipment , food hmmm food is food, the only difference there can be there is staffing , better chef and coaches ,

then if pardew is talking about the football , arsenal have been in CL for 17 years we havnt , and we are a million miles away from that under pardew, I would say we are many levels below arsenal under pardew,

the main difference is mentalities , one is a winner the other is a dreamer, SBR was a winner and I bet if debuchy was in the squad when the great man was around he would have been waxing lyrical about our training and facilities

average man walks into a old school gym, only benches and loose weights , thinks this is crap, he carnt do anything in it , Arnold Schwarzenegger walks in and is in heaven , turns his body into the best in the world, same gym just different outlooks

• jimmysmith

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Pards must think he knows something we don’t, because this squad, although full of talent, isn’t going to be seriously challenging for a Champions league spot this season or any other.

Is he suggesting that the strengthening we’ve seen in this past window is set to continue in future ones. I hope so. I can see us threatening in a couple of seasons if it does.

• firebug666

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Slank

Well it is SJP as long as Wonga are paying for it, and they only renamed it back to SJP to appease the fans over becoming our main sponsor. Will it revert back to SDA when Wonga have gone.

I don’t expect him to communicate to the fans directly mate. and if he has a communication director then he is getting paid for nowt. We have to wait for the minutes from the fans forum meetings to be published to get any insight in to what is going on at the club, and that’s not been good of late. Other than that we have to listen to the master of lies AP spouting his drive.

The interest free loan and the advertising appear to be linked. We don’t get charged any interest on the loan as that is paying for the advertising. In all honesty the loan does not need to exist, and the advertising could bring in enough money for one or two players, even if this is for the academy. Something doesn’t seem right here, and there should be no such thing as free advertising in the real world. That’s my thought’s anyway.

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

catchy in norway

‘….SBR was a winner.. ‘

Yes, but not with us.

The difference between us and Arsenal is they have won trophies irrespective of who their manager was.

We on the other hand have not won any trophies irrespective of who our manager was (post 1969).

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

24 years living in Holland !

North Shields born and a Proud Magpie ! You never ever forget your Roots !

As for the Champoins League? Lets not get ahead of ourselves eh !

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Slank…the 68 generation is a term used about people who entered adulthood in 68 or there about.

68 was a time for change. Time has been very good on them – so good that the young adults are paying for it now 😀

• catchy in norway

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM

slank

but he had us at the top end consistently

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM

this guy needs some help first he said 48 points this season is good enough now he talks about champions league football

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM

firebug666

Yes I too think there is a connection between an interest free loan and not being paid to advertise Sports Direct.

I remember not too long ago, I think it was pre-season, when Pardew never said a word for weeks but then a groundswell of fans, somewhat indignant, wanted to know why he hadn’t said anything and was he hiding something !

• paul6257

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM

i dont believe Ashley has “backed him big time”. yes a few good signings, Janmatt and cabella, the rest are average at best, these signing are replacement’s not additions. a owner backing a backing a manger is an owner giving his manager money to spend. if we take into account sales Ashley has given him 2/3mil is pathetic. when we get a top forward and commanding defender, then and only then I believe we’ve had a good transfer window

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Jesper

Yep I’m a 68 generation.

None of this ‘young adults are paying for it now ‘.

There were no ‘bank of mum and dad’ when I was young. We had to work and save.

• tequilamag

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Catchy reckons Arsenal don`t spend a lot. Eh 35 mill for Sanchez 42 mill for Ozil, Utter tosh

• Lost Plot

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Read: why is every comment being slated?

Pards isn’t saying we gonna win the CL

He’s looking at a Top 4 finish that is 1 position he fell short of not too long ago.

We’ve got a stronger squad (bloody hope so) I ain’t gonna contradict myself .. Am just going to stay positive

We don’t have any other commitment like qualifying and then the weekly euro ties .. So let’s get behind the boys on pitch

We in the same thicken as Man Utd with games ahead, only difference our manager knows the Prem .. LoL

• Mag52

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM

So we’re just about to set off on another journey into the unknown with the club we support.
    The manager has put out some positive words regarding his hopes and expectations for the season ahead, you would hardly expect anything less would you?
    He must know deep down that a transfer spend of 35 million on nine players is chicken feed to what the big players in the league are spending, yet for the fans and especially for the players he must be positive, and he is certainly that.
    Hopefully we’ll get none of that hissy fit Malaga meltdown from certain posters which disgraced the quality of this blog following the pre season match a few weeks ago should we lose against the current champions on Saturday.
    Howay the lads !

• NYMAG

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM

With the squad we have now anything less than 8th place should be deemed a failure and Pards should be sacked anything above that position is a success. To break the top 5-6 we need another 2 or 3 top players – Richards, Grenier, Remy/Pierre Emrik/Benteckers