Pardew Tells The Truth – Newcastle A Fantastic Club

It wasn’t too surprising when Mathieu Debuchy said last week that once he knew Arsenal were interested him there was no doubt in his mind he wanted to join them – and that was much like his best pal Yohan Cabaye a year ago,  when Arsenal went after him – and Yohan  even went on strike to try to force a move,  but that tactic didn’t work too well and backfired on him at the time.

mathieu debuchy 98

Mathieu Debuchy – keen to move to Arsenal

As a reminder here is some of that Mathieu said last week:

“When my agents told me Arsenal were interested, I said yes straight away!”

“There was no question, no debate, no doubt, nothing! You don’t turn down a club like Arsenal. A lot of players would like to be in my shoes right now.”

“This is another dimension. If you compare the training grounds for example, nothing at Lille or Newcastle can match the Arsenal one. It is another world.”

“Everything here is made to optimize your preparation and you as a player. So you can be in the best condition to play and win football games.”

There’s no doubt Arsenal are one of the great English clubs, no doubt whatsoever, and even before Arsene Wenger arrived back in 1996, they had a (very) rich history.

I know that because when I was 15 years old I had a trial with Arsenal and played at Highbury, and my father went down with me and we  spent a few days down there being shown around Highbury and were told Arsenal’s achievements up to that time.

And since 1996, Wenger has had the Gunners in the top four in England and in the Champions League every single season, and that’s not a bad record for a man who takes so much criticism from the English press.

Alan Pardew has talked about Newcastle United and responded to Mathieu’s quotes as follows:

“Arsenal are obviously a fantastic club but so are we.” “Some of the players who have gone to those top four clubs, we can’t get involved in.”

“On the other side of the coin, we do work on that level just below, which is still Arsenal’s market and we have tread on their toes a little bit – which I’m sure they’ll flag up too.”

“We think we have done well in the French market and it is a market that we think has a lot of quality in it.”

Newcastle are not a top four club,  but Alan’s right that we are now one of maybe four clubs below the top six in England, but Newcastle also have a rich history – and I will not even mention our three FA Cup wins in five years in the 1950s.

And while it’s in vogue at the moment to criticize Newcastle United, it’s interesting how delighted our new players have been arriving at the club  this summer.

We are an excellent club, but we haven’t had a team to match the club’s status since Sir Bobby Robson was fired in 2004 – that’s also true – well apart when we finished 5th a couple of years ago.

But the squad this summer now looks like a good one, and we have some very good players who have been brought in, so we are hoping the lads can do very well in the coming season.

We prefer to remain positive about Newcastle – it’s much better for your health than the alternative. 😀

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Sure we’ve already had this post.

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM

REPOST

expatmag @ 84

I’m retired too and what a relief to get out of the rat race. I was fortunate to retire in my 50?s and now live abroad. I was fortunate to be part of that generation where we had full employment, generous pensions and affordable property.

I pity the youngsters now.

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Ed,

Please. What is the point of this article. He is gone and good luck to him. Like any new employee, he isn’t likely to rubbish his new club. The grass is always greener.

We now have Janmaat who looks the real deal.

• firebug666

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Repost

Slank

I think the biggest gripe with Ashley is the lack of communication between the club and the supporters over the years.

He has done well for the club, on the finance side of things especially as now the club is showing a profit. I’m not a fan of Ashley but i give credit where credit is due.

He bought players when he thought is was necessary to do so, but did so on a strict financial budget because we did not have the money to spend. He worked slowly moving forward into a profit. His policy is that the club needs to be in a position to sustain itself, and he has done that now. If we went out an blew all of our money on new signings we would end up having to borrow again.

But where he falls down for me is: 1. his lack of communication to the fans, 2. Not using the advertising within the club to bring in money. 3. The never being paid off loan, and 4. the bug bear is selling the naming rights to SJP.

He could be a great owner for this club, making us self sufficient etc. But he needs to sort out those other four points.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Slank,
    I lived in Australia for five years abd returned home every August to catch a game or two, do you still get home ?

• Slank

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Firebug666

I agree that he has done a really good job in stabilizing the club financially and placing it on a sound self financing foundation which may become increasingly important in future years if the EFP rules are fully implemented.

Personally, I’m not bothered whether he speaks or not. When he first arrived he came with a reputation, from SD, as a bit of a recluse and rarely, if ever, talks to the media. He hasn’t changed and why should he as he employs a Managing Director and (I think) a Director of Communications to do that for him.

I agree he could use the club more effectively for advertising but he is never going to get any money from Sports Direct as I’m sure there are rules and regulations which prevent a public listed company from paying a director fees to advertise the company’s product on the director’s personal property.

I’m not bothered about the loan. It’s a normal part of running a business. No interest is being charged. It is just a figure on a balance sheet.

I thought it was St James Park?

• kakaobi

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

It’s funny that last season it was Arsène Wenger fault we got beat for unsettling Cabaye but now we are doing business with him or should I say selling our best player to him it’s all Cabayes fault bloody hell Pardew make your mind up

• catchy in norway

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM

did I read that correct , we operate just below arsenal ?

as I see it , arsenal don’t spent a lot , nor do we

I’m not sure what the training complexes are like , but I’m pretty sure that in terms if space and how they are kitted out they will be pretty much the same , lots of hi tech equipment , food hmmm food is food, the only difference there can be there is staffing , better chef and coaches ,

then if pardew is talking about the football , arsenal have been in CL for 17 years we havnt , and we are a million miles away from that under pardew, I would say we are many levels below arsenal under pardew,

the main difference is mentalities , one is a winner the other is a dreamer, SBR was a winner and I bet if debuchy was in the squad when the great man was around he would have been waxing lyrical about our training and facilities

average man walks into a old school gym, only benches and loose weights , thinks this is crap, he carnt do anything in it , Arnold Schwarzenegger walks in and is in heaven , turns his body into the best in the world, same gym just different outlooks

• firebug666

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Slank

Well it is SJP as long as Wonga are paying for it, and they only renamed it back to SJP to appease the fans over becoming our main sponsor. Will it revert back to SDA when Wonga have gone.

I don’t expect him to communicate to the fans directly mate. and if he has a communication director then he is getting paid for nowt. We have to wait for the minutes from the fans forum meetings to be published to get any insight in to what is going on at the club, and that’s not been good of late. Other than that we have to listen to the master of lies AP spouting his drive.

The interest free loan and the advertising appear to be linked. We don’t get charged any interest on the loan as that is paying for the advertising. In all honesty the loan does not need to exist, and the advertising could bring in enough money for one or two players, even if this is for the academy. Something doesn’t seem right here, and there should be no such thing as free advertising in the real world. That’s my thought’s anyway.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Don,t really see the point of this artikel but if i have to react i would just sy this :

” The Club is bigger than the people running it ” !

With another owner and another Trainer we would be in the Top Four in the Land ? Clubs like Chelsea, City, Arsenal, and Man United are all about the Money running them and although i,m sometimes jealous of the rest !
    I would prefer us to reach the top without all that OTT Finance?

You can Dream eh !!!!

• Sav

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

O’m all for psitivity. But we have done little more than replace what has been lost. Lets put it this way, if anything happens to Riviere, we are screwed and when Everton are making a statement of intent with the securing of Lukaku, we are placing a huge burden on untested Riviere’s shouklers. There is still no explanation why the club treaded water for 18 months when we should have looked to improve. This summer’s spending is motivated by fear of relegation more than ambition because there is no doubt that is where we were heading.
    And we STILL need a top striker and a centrehalf.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM

@11:

I,me carefully optimistic SAV, and prepared to give them ( Hierarchy ) a couple of months until the seasons in full swing until i start playing the Doom Prophet and predct the “R” world !

The window still aint closed after all , there,s still time for last minute transfers, hopefully not from us but to us?