Newcastle Interested In Signing Dutch Striker

Newcastle were interested in 25 year-old Dutch striker Bass Dost, while he was still playing his football at Heerenveen in Holland over two years ago, and at that time there were reports Newcastle were interested in signing the 6’4″ striker.

Bas Dost _2958344

Bass Dost – 25 year-old Dutch striker

But then he moved to Wolfsburg in June of 2012, but now with the German club having just signed former Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, it may be that Wolfsburg will allow Dost to leave, and Newcastle could well be interested.

And there’s a report in the Sunday People that Newcastle are waiting to see if Wolfsburg are willing to let Dost leave the German club

While at Heerenveen for two seasons from 2010, Dost scored 52 goals in just 73 total appearances, and he also had 10 assists – so that’s a very decent  record.

Dost has been less successful in Germany over the last two years,  and he has made 48 appearances for Wolfsburg with 17 goals and 4 assists.

It does seem that if an appropriate striker does become available, then Newcastle could well make a move for the player, and it wouldn’t be surprising if Newcastle go after the Dutch International if Wolfsburg are willing to sell him.

The price tag is quoted at £8M, but that seems high, and Newcastle could probably get Dost to Tyneside for a figure less than that.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• G

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Isn’t this the player that has some joint deteriation in his bones and is going to have to hang his boots up soon? Or have I got him mixed up with another ex Heerenveen player?

• Average_Contents

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:11 AM

So top 10 it is then! No improvement from last year by the board it seems….wait! What? Do we even have a board? Dissect parsnips following statement because I cannot be arsed it’ll take forever the amount of shite in it 😉

Pardew admits the club’s objectives may not change radically despite a significant summer recruitment drive, but he will be looking higher than mid-table.
    He said: “I don’t think the target from the club will change, but that doesn’t represent the target that I want my players to drive for because we want to drive for higher than that.
    “I don’t like setting targets myself with the team. What we do also need to understand – and I know people are saying it’s desperate, that I need a fast start etc, etc after what happened at the back end of last year.
    “I think that’s going to be difficult because we have got a lot of new players, so I am kind of preparing myself for an even start, if I am honest, and to get stronger as we go along.
    “If it’s any better than that, then that will be a blessing.”
    Pardew admits he learned a lot of lessons last season, especially in the wake of his clash with Hull City midfielder David Meyler, and he hopes to make a positive start against reigning champions Manchester City on Sunday.
    He added: “I have learned a lot of lessons since I have been manager at this football club, and the most important lesson I have learned is that you need to be consistent with what message you are giving to your players, and I have been fairly consistent to my players ever since I have been here about how important it is.
    “The results sometimes alter: you are on a winning run, you are on a losing run. But the most important thing is your principles stay the same.
    “If people question those principles or question that work ethic, they won’t be included in this group. This group is a strong group and I think it will work hard for Newcastle fans.
    “I have learned one thing also since I have been here: that Newcastle fans want to win and they want to win every game, and that’s what we are going to try to do.
    “The one thing about Man City is, I thought we put in one of our best performances last year and were beaten. They are that type of team you can be at your very best against and still be beaten.
    “But I do think that we are really well set for this game and hopefully, we can get some kind of result against them because obviously our record isn’t great.”

• SUFC_rule

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Haha

• JrReps

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I really wouldn’t mind having Dost as our 1st choice striker. He’s huge and is proven a prolific scorer. But honestly, I don’t think we necessarily need him though. We arleady have Riviere, Ferreyra, Cisse, Perez and Armstrong. Unless we sell/loan one of them, it’ll be too much. I would rather have the money spent on a good center-half.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Watching pardew interview is almost pathetic. He’s lowering everyone expectations and taking all the pressure off himself. He knows he needs a fast start and says “I’m expecting an even start and get stronger as we move along.”

He first says he wants champion league then says mid table. He doesn’t even have confidence in himself and realizes it and quickly corrects himself.

He Is already preparing excuses saying we have lots of new players. All His interview about targets for this season shows he’s really not confident of his ability and he’s simply removing pressure from himself and shifting it to the players.

We won’t progress with him. He can keep us mid table nothing more. Aiming beyond that and we need another manager.

• Newcastle for alltid

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:46 AM

As to the last thread/article, I`ve got a “best 11” in my head. Still, Pardew isn`t capable of getting the best out of our players, as he and his staff are tactically very limited. Still, with a good manager, our best lineup in a 4231-formation, from right to left, would be:
    Krul
    Janmaat – Coloccini – Williamson/Mbiwa – Santon
    Anita/Sissoko – Tiote
    Ben Arfa/Gouffran – De Jong – Cabella
    Riviere/Cissè

Williamson and Mbiwa is a close race. Mbiwa is still leraning the EPL, while Williamson is used to it, and decent on a good day. Saylor is too shaky, and we should sell him, and bring in a replacement. As for our striker, I`m not too sure, but if we can bring Cissè back on form, he would bang the goals in with the proper service. And on the right wing with Ben Arfa unlikely to start, Gouff could do a job. He works his socks off on a good day.

My dream formation, however, with a manager who could handle it, would be a 3421 w/wingbacks-formation. Note that this formation is unrealistic with the current staff, but would kill with the proper management:
    Krul
    Janmaat – Coloccini – Haidara
    Sissoko – Anita – Tiote – Santon
    Ben Arfa – Cabella
    De Jong

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:40 AM

ilovetoon I agree with you about pardew but people like expatmag are so happy with pardew that they don’t want him to leave people like expatmag wants our club to be a mid table club and if anyone disagree with him he will say you are a numpty and will tell you to support mackems

• Jamiemac

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Newcastle for alltid

That team in that formation would never ever work no matter whos manager. The back 3 would have to be CBs and I can assure you jaanmat and Haidara definitely arent cbs

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Roshan

Your schoolboyish comments smack of illiteracy and ignorance.

I have openly said on many occasions that I believe the NUFC job is too big for Pardew and that he should be replaced by a more experienced and worldly coach/manager.

My points made quite succinctly in easy to understand language were based around the fact that people like you blame Pardew for everything when quite clearly, there were many issues which compounded to result in a bad second half of the season including:

Lack of support in key areas from management in particular recruitment

Lack of commitment by so called key players such as Colo, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Cabaye

Injuries and suspensions to key players

Continual lack of squad depth

There are probably other issues impacting on the performance of the team attributable to Pardew and his staff and others which are too many to post on here.

If you had any kind of an inkling of how difficult managing and kind of team/organisation/office is, you wouldnt come out with such outrageously childish statements as above.

Now then, if you have any problem failing to understand the long words in this post, let me know and I will explain them to you.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:55 AM

common expatmag pardew ask players to do what they are not ment to do and play in different position who can commit to that for example if you want a plumber to do a doctors job will they do that with the exact same commitment ha no na then how will attacking players like Cabaye Ben arfa marveux will show the same commitment in defending and tracking back and all that defensive shit

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:00 AM

he plays striker on wings he wants attacking players to track back and do defenders work he constantly lie he plays a cb on lb or rb and plays santon in cm he headbutt a player not one not two he has many flaws and is not good for our club

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM

and you talk about injuries and suspension he is not the only manager to deal with that all the managers in the league has that problem and they have to deal with it

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM

only point which is valid in your comment is the lack of support from management

• Ethiotoon

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Should be exciting game today.consider’g
    Man utd shell shocked yest’y, we are no less but matching city in all aspects. haven’t seen much difference between van gaal’s team and Moyes team.but Swansea were impressive, with shelvey controlling the MF and sigudsson the attack.Arsenal also almost shocked yest’y
    Sadly IMO conceded offside goal.The struggling of top teams will give us good courage to frustrat city.if we show some kind of good display, I’ll not be upset even if we lose.so plenty t look forward to..

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM

expatmag you act like a mature guy and point out things like injuries and suspensions like he is the only one to deal with that what next are you going to point out are you going to say he has to deal with yellow cards too common man grow up

• WLtoon

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Bas Dost must be a class act if Bentner is prefered instead of him.
    Do i need to say anything else.

• cestriasteve

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM

I think Everton might struggle this season they have the same issues with their centre backs as we do, distinct is getting older and jagielka isn’t much of a step up on Williamson, they are in Europa so that’s going to be pressure on them too.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Roshangles regardless of whether others have to deal with injury and suspension or not they are still a contributing factor to poor performance Especially with our lack of depth. You seem happy in your little ignorance bubble though

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Bass Dost’s name just sounds like Das Boot.

Great German film.

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Pardews

Good comment. Roshan is just another example of a so called supporter suffering from peripheral vision and a clear lack of understanding of the entire football side of business and those in the higher echelons of such business who are tasked to administer it.

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:16 AM

A lack of peripheral vision

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Pardew OUT… TNX

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:19 AM

cestriasteve

The team that could come a right cropper is Man Utd if any of their three centre backs, who aren’t very good, get injured.

It’s all very well playing a 3-5-2 formation if you have really good centre backs with very capable reserves but they haven’t. Wonder how long before they buy or Van Gaal reverts to 4-4-2 ?

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Roshan

Mature and highly experienced and can sympathise with a manager who has to deal with a plethora of different management problems, to a certain extent.

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Slank

I agree with you about Man utd. Watching them last night, I wasnt too impressed with their defence and with only Evans to come in, they are there for the taking.

However I do expect them to spend big to address the situation

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Ed

How do you know that Newcastle were interested in 25 year-old Dutch striker Das Boot ?

It’s always been a puzzle to me these stories.

They often sound as if someone has been speaking to Carr or Pardew or Charnley or all three when in fact I’m absolutely 100% certain that these three club officials wouldn’t say anything to anybody but to the officials of the player’s club.

Another made up story. No doubt we are going to get a lot of Dutch agents spinning stories now that they know that the club have been scouting heavily in Holland.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I am not interested in slating anyones vieuws on here about Football Tactics or Pardew or other Bloggers ?

Reality check, we are all supporting the same Club, and any childish attacks about anyone else,s opinions are just that , Çhildish “!

Getting back and rising above all the Tosh above:

Bas Dorst was the Herenveen player who we were trying to sign 2 years ago but chose to go for More Money and Hairy Veen and Dorst managed to get a better deal with SV Wolfsberg !

The player, while doing well in The Dutch League is totally untested at Prem Level and might not make it in our league?
    However, if the asking price came down substancially, 8Mil is way too much, 4Mil would be better?

Is there is any truth in this? Feyenoord tried to sign last year and could not and would not pay the Transfer Sum or the Wages he was asking for !

Not sure if going for him would be a good move? There are better playing out there, for a lot less !

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Expatmat

ManU have always had really good pairs of centre backs going back years. This is the first time I can remember when they haven’t.

Interestingly, many of the professional pundits think that will not qualify again for the Champions League as the team looks unbalanced and short of quantity and quality.

My heart bleeds.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Slank @ 25:

Par for the course about the Dutch Journo,s !

They are at least more proffessional than the Brits?

Bas Dorst, i think is a non- starter, nothing on the news over here about him?

• expatmag

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Newexpat

I think we have done our business for the window.

Maybe the loan of HBA and Jonas but I doubt anymore incoming.

SLANK

I have never rated Smalling or Evans whilst Jones is passable. LvG has his work cut out and I find it strange he is playing Ashley Young at wing back. He is clearly not up to the job.

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Expatmag

I wonder whether LvG’s arrogance has eclipsed his commonsense and football brain in the sense that he has tried to shoehorn the players he has got into his 3-5-2 formation instead of looking at the players he has got and devising the best formation to suit these talents ?.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM

We might loose players, but no more incoming players!

I have to agree a bit of a strange line-up yesterday by LvG.

*But I am used to that here 😉

• Ethiotoon

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Looks like we are not the only ones who have problems in defence.something to smile about….may be?
    Cisse may get a bench today,good..
    But have doubt about the pairing of colback & Anita in CMF,may not coup with the height and strength of yaya & fernan..
    During the game,I like the idea of chasing yaya & Silva to stop them from bursting upfront. give them no space & breath..
    If we do that,we may sneak it like spurs..

• Goofy

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Hoping Pardew goes all out attack today, nowt to lose the whole country think citeh are gonna win so just go out all guns blazing. I’ll be pissed off if he tries to contain them, citeh thrive on teams sitting back, and our defence isn’t up to much in the centre. We should be snapping at their heels for 90 mins.

• Lost Plot

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Pardew is the leader if our team at the moment so he who all must bow .. Like it or not

Man Utd walked into their game with defensive issues so good on Swansea taking advantage of the weaknesses

Hope we can express same mentality and attitude today, but all depends on what City turn up .. Either way will be cracker of a day 🙂

Back to post: this Bass Dost soundz a blinder BUT why would Wolfsburg want to rid him when the strike partnership they’ve built is going to be a test in Bundesliga?

Anyway .. Morning .. Anyone else ruff as a badgers?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM

@30:

LvG is a wise old fox Slank, he will learn from his mistakes, he has been too successful in the past not to learn from them.

Manure have a large Transfer Budget and are more than likely to be signing more players before the window slams shut on 1st Sept? They may even start sniffing around us ?
    Lets face it, how many of our squad would turn down a move to go and play for Louis, and the big money there to be earned? There would be nowt we could do about it, except try to milk the Transfer fee like we did with Andy Carroll with Liverfool a few years back!

@29:

I think your right, i think any ideas about getting anyone else in are just the Media Bull being bantered around in the Press and on here !

Its disappointing but i think Fat Ash aint gonna open his Purse strings again until come Jan 2015?
    One thing is Deffo though, the Bas Dorst post is absolute Tosh!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Ed…I do believe we were linked with this player back when he was scoring for fun in Holland…

…but like other players leaving Holland for Germany that seems to have an abrupt end. So you think we would want him based on his resent form? Why?

• cyprus

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM

How come Cisse isn’t featured at all in possible team selections? Is he injured?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Cypus…I think he is out injured until October or something.

• Slank

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Cyprus @ 37

Very much so. I think the walking wounded are De Jong, Tiote, Cisse, Santon and Raylor although I think the first two may be available for Villa whilst the rest have some weeks to go before they are truly match fit.

Hot today, 39C already here.