The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

St. James’ Park Expected To Be A Sell-Out Today

9:22 am, Sunday, August 17th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Some of the Newcastle fan organizations tried to get the Newcastle fans not to buy their season tickets in the summer, as a protest against the club – Mike Ashley and manager Alan Pardew – but after a very good transfer window this summer (so far), the season tickets have probably sold quite well.

mike ashley glum

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley

And the club seem to be able to sell the vacant seats at each home game by giving out some good deals on those available seats, and we suppose the goal as far as the club is concerned is to have a sell-out crowd at St. James’ Park for each Premier League game.

And Newcastle also frozen ticket prices for up to ten years, so we seem to be losing out on revenue to get the stadium packed full – although match day receipts are a decreasing part of the overall revenue these days – with massive money coming in from the Premier League every year.

A full house is expected this afternoon when we take on the PL Champions Manchester City, in what should be a good game.

We always thought it was going to be difficult to persuade local Newcastle fans not to buy season tickets and attend the home games,   because supporting  Newcastle United seems to be in the Geordie DNA, and Alan Shearer has talked about that today in the Mirror:

“They will always turn out at 50,000 for Newcastle.” “There are threats of season-ticket strikes or not buying tickets.”

“But if you get four or five new players, and even one top player at Newcastle, there will be 50,000 there because they love their football.”

We expect the season ticket sales picked up towards the end, once Newcastle brought in players like Siem de Jong, Daryl Janmaat and Remy Cabella.

Cabella seems to be the new darling at Newcastle United – because the 24 year-old seems so upbeat and positive to be at Newcastle and playing in those famous black and white strips.

We hope we get a sell-out crowd today – and that we can get a win too – unexpected as that would be.

If we do  get the win – we may even be a bit late reporting on the game.

Thinks – where did I put those blood pressure pills? :D

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · St. James' Park

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:32 AM

SJP needs to be full for games like this, but we won’t know that until 4pm this afternoon. I have not heard anything about season ticket sales from the powers that be, but I expect the stadium will be full.

All I want from today’s game is a performance from the squad, an attacking display of football and if we win that will be a bonus, but for me commitment and team cohesion come first.

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:36 AM

firebug
    Twitter seemed to think a couple of days back that tickets were running out fast

• 3 jazzyp // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Well it’s match day lads and game face is on lol. Setting off soon on the 300 mile round trip to SJP. This is what the PL is about and what we all live for……A full house roaring to the rafters, Jesus I bet Cabella and Riviere will have goose bumps running down their spines.
    If Man city are anything like last week then they are there for the taking.
    I hope if we do go one down the boos don’t start as we need to get behind the team and show some cohesion between the pitch and the stands
    Howay lads 2-0 to the toon

• 4 Ethiotoon // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Firebugg
    It won’t matter if we keep defending till last minute and get a draw,which is satisfactory considering we are playing with top four team.I don’t care if we play attractive football,with cohesion or play with bad display, what matters to me is the result we want at the final whistle.

• 5 catchy in norway // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM

expat mag

I have no idea which one persons comment you have read but that one persons comment seems stuck in your head,

not one of the guys kids or women that agree with have ever blamed pardew for everything , we as a group all know there are problems from top to bottom, fat man and pardew being the 2 main ones , but I include all the coaching staff also,

I concentrate on pardew and I only relate to the footballing side of things,
    as I have pointed this out many times now I’m starting to wonder if your sane in the head as you keep referring to things that just have not been said,

, pardew has given a few interviews over the last week, on video so you can take as gospill that he said the things,

the guy has no clue where he is taking the club, he comes out with crap like 48 points is the average this club has achived iced the last 10 seasons , but I bet if you take the season we got relegated and the one he nearly relighted us, that figure would be a lot higher , by the by though the fact he mentioned that figure is reference to where he thinks is acceptable,
    the next breath he is talking about challenging for the CL , so that’s top 4, that’s a huge difference in the 2 positions

he is also talking about lessons learnt, he is saying that he now knows that us as Geordies want to see winning football, ehhh you are kidding me , even Gateshead fans want to see winning football. he talks about not wavering from his beliefs , and that he won’t change that , we kind of have to accept winning runs and losing ones also , if you have not won a game in 10 or 15 or even 20 matches something is defiantly wrong and needs looked at ,

this is how the guy thinks, the guy is a chancer , the guy tries to tell us want we want to hear and that’s why it is so conflicting,

if us as fans are confused , how do the players feel , believe it or not they have brains too, and get to see/ hear a lot more of this bull than we do,

I don’t like what he says and I don’t like the football under him , he is adamant that we play attacking football aready , he believes in his philosophy and sees no problems, it’s been the same football since he came , no lessons learnt ,

il ask you one question, corners and free kicks , in 3 years why has it not changed ? it does not work

• 6 ToonMatt // Aug 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Sad times when fans accept the way the club is being run, I miss the days when we beat Barcelona 3-2 in the champions league or when we made signings like Alan Shearer? Gone are those days and I don’t understand any fan who is happy to not be in Europe or to challenge for silverware, Bargain bin signings? Loan signings? Wonga? Our manager head butting players? It’s shameful.

• 7 lesh // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Shearer’s right in that the 50,000 who turn up today because they love their football, will get their wish.

Pardew’s on record as saying he’s going to have the lads playing a brand of football that’ll excite the crowd.

So 50000 folk’s expectations have changed and they’ll suddenly appreciate defend and lob football?

• 8 lesh // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Catchy, if you’re questioning expat’s sanity, you should bear in mind that he’s not obsessed with getting Pardew out, no matter what.

People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!

• 9 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM

They will never Learn !

Unless the full house are all Citeh Supporters !

• 10 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Not expecting the win !

But you never know?

• 11 dannitoon // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM

50000 going to show respect to our two fallen fans.. RiP brothers

• 12 milburn990 // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I think we will see the toon start cagey and try and catch out cited on the break. Don’t think we can match them toe to toe in a slugging match. Keep the faith!

• 13 Goofy // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM

@Catchy

I read this blog a lot and have only just started posting. Most of the stuff you talk about like Signings, formations, slating our own players is just nonsense, although I have to admit everything you’ve just said about Pardew is spot on, especially the free kick straight to Williamson who misses it or gives away a foul 9 out of 10 times. Pardew should’ve been sacked after head butting incident end of.

• 14 anthc // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM

My head says a defeat is on the cards but I think this is the best time to play them so we could sneak a result. I just hope the lads give it a go. I can take a defeat of city but all I ask is we get at them and have a go!
    1-0 newcastle!

• 15 Malta Mag // Aug 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Don’t judge the team on this game as it’s going to be hard to get something from the richest club in world football. Look beyond and see where we are at the end of September. We have the team to upset the big boys but it’s a tall order today. I only hope the fans can give the sort of vocal backing we know we are capable of and support the team regardless of their views on the regime. Would love to have been there but will be back in October……..Toon Toon…………

previous post: Magpies Should Be Aiming For Top Six And Winning A Cup