Pellegrini Highly Complimentary Of Newcastle

We’ve taking a shining to Manuel Pellegrini, not only because the Manchester City manager is obviously a very good manager and knows the game well, but he also handles himself so well during games, and never seems to lose his cool.

alan pardew manuel pelligrini

Alan Pardew and Manuel Pellegrini today

And Pellegrini admits to having prepared well for the visit to Newcastle United:

“St James’s Park is always a difficult stadium for any team to come to.” “I watched all the games Newcastle played in pre-season.”

“I think they have a strong squad with some very good young players, and I am sure they will be an important team during this whole year in the Premier League.”

“I really didn’t think they had clear chances to score, except in the last two minutes of the game.” “We were very concentrated and organised in defense, so I think it is not a problem of quality for Newcastle.”

“I think it was down to our good performance in defending.”

“I don’t have any problems with Alan Pardew.”” “It was a mistake that he made last season, but he apologized in the moment.”

“I told him in the same moment, ‘Don’t you worry about that, it’s finished and all forgiven’.” “He had a lot of problems last year – not only with me – but it’s a new season, and everyone learns from things.”

That’s a good example of what I am talking about with Manuel – the man seems a class act.

It was a good performance from Newcastle against a very good side, but we now have to learn from what happened yesterday, and start to pick up points.

Hopefully we will have both Cheick Tiote and Siem de Jong back from injury for next Saturday’s game at Villa Park.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Also I voted Cabella as man of the match simply because Colback is Pl ready, Cabs ( can I call him that lol?) is fresh in and did surprisingly well first day out. Have to wonder how long it will be before losing the ball will have him awarded the Benny Medal though. 😉

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Blackley, cheers.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I DID NOT Expect one of Eds breathless post sprints at this time of day. 🙁

• Mister Tuff

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Blackley – I’m hoping that getting de Jong up and running will have a settling influence on the team. Thus eliminating some weakness in midfield. I still see the two CB’s as the obvious weakness. Both Colo and Willo are not up to it. Some folk think colo is the bees knees -just cannot see it myself.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Very happy with today.

Although we lost the game i’v seen enough to think we will have a decent season. Obviously giving we are ok and not hampered by injuries. The squad is still lacking quality in depth. And if we do lose 2-3 players we will struggle i think.

Colback is a player and Cabella will do well. Well done lads.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Actually Willo did ok today, kept us in the game a few times. I just can’t stand the ploy of knocking it to him on the back stick STILL. Stay back, Willo!

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM

But having said that, if Janmaat only gets up to debuchy standard, we still have one of the poorest back lines in the league. Here’s hoping our revamped mid firing on all cylinders will take the pressure of them and deliver more to our revamped front line (hopefully doing the same firing on their goal) and keep the bad men at bay.

• jimmysmith

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

The striker is a problem I think. Rivierre from what I’ve read prefers to play in tandem or wide. Did look isolated for much of the game. De Jong might help there, but if he pushes up too much then we are left in that unhappy situation of potentially being over run in the middle of the park. Colbacks increased tempo alongside Tiote might solve this. Still some distance from figuring out our best 11it would appear, as you’d expect, but I think Gouffran and Anita will struggle to be a part of that. I wouldn’t ultimately be surprised to see Cisse down the middle and Sissoko, Rivierre and Cabella fighting it out for the two positions either side though, as he got into a ton of great positions last season without finishing consistently as we know he can. I’m far from convinced he doesn’t still have plenty to offer this side.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Tuff

I’ve not seen de jong in action yet. I hope he lives up to the hype better than Cabella, who’s a million miles away from being a Ginola. Okay, it was his first game and he did okay, but Ginola … he was more like Debuchy with a free role.

The centre backs stand no chance when their full backs and midfielders fail to track runners. Besides, Percy is happy with his centre backs. Can’t see why. He’s been here long enough to sort it out and hasn’t.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Actually one player I’m really worried about is sissoko. After all this time it’s difficult to see how he fits in. He should be doing those immense cross field runs but he rarely does that as he’s usually too far forward. Without that his short passing game is mediocre, and sometimes he has a touch like he has a bag of sugar tied round his foot. I’d rather see Anita near the edge of the box than him tbh, and he’s another misfit, placed too far back for his darting passes and runs to have any effect at all.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Toon prodigy

Rank our strike force against our rivals’. That will give you a good idea of where in the league we’ll end up. At the wrong end of the table IMO.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:45 AM

It’s far too early to criticise our strikers. Our defence on the other hand…..

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Ah well I need sleep. Night all.

• jimmysmith

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I think Collocini is arguably our best ever centre back in the EPL era. Up there with Woodgate and Albert for me, all three splendid on the ball. The problem I think is more in finding a partner to compliment him, as was the case with the other two. A Willo and Taylor type, but with greater mobility and pace. Collocini alongside Chelsea’s Cahill for example, would be great. Even so, don’t see our back four as poor, just exposed against the very best.

• Brutooon

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Collocini is to be blame for both out goals

1st goal – he knew willo already went for dzeko but he still go for it.

2nd goal – slow to react after aguero first shot

• lesh

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM

repost

Catchy.

Were you at the match?

Why ask? No real reason other than to wonder why your anti-Pardew message seems out of kilter with the majority of views I’ve seen on here?

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Blackley,

You think we will finish in the bottom half?

The way im reading it is mid-table is nailed on. If everyone is kept fit 8th isn’t impossible. But this is NUFC and any few injuries will see us slip and turn out some poor performances as usual.

A decent forward and a centreback being brought in would see us really push on but i cant see it. I’d be very surprised if it happened but we all know it should happen and the clubs funds are there.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Tsunki

I’m not criticising our strikers. But I’m not going to say they’re something they’re not without sufficient evidence to support it. Unfortunately even Remy would struggle in that lone, unsupported role that Percy asks his striker to play.

• t00ntime

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Dont think you can blame colo for being slow to react, that was more on Krul giving it straight back instead of out for a corner and Agureo being one of the very few STs who will react that quick and finish that well whilst still getting up.
    However he was too blame for being lazy and keeping Aguero onside… The ball was cleared and our back 4 went in to a line and moved forward. Except colo who more or less wandered back but wasnt quick enough and Aguero was onside for the pass.

Both goals caused by a lack of communication and laziness imo.
    Only one should of closed down dzeko (communication/common sense)
    Janmaat didnt track silva(1st), colo didnt run back to position (2nd) (laziness)

• swemag

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM

With either Loic Remy or with de Jong fit we could have gotten something out of the team.

People need something to complain about, today it isn’t Pardew, it is Colo. He played ok. On the ball he is amazing as CB. I agree they both went for Dzeko and this is a schoolboy error. However, Dzeko does an amazing thing that had Colo not gone for it would have looked stupid, in other words, Dzeko took a chance and it worked. There was no way he knew both Colo and Willo were behind him.

So what about Pardew? He does ok or even good and all the negative people on here has nothing to say?

• switch365

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:15 AM

We didn’t miss Tiote at all today imo, we were just lacking a bit of match sharpness.
    Personally I feel if SDJ had been fit we wouldn’t have lost.
    Colback was excellent, his play, his movement and his set-pieces which were all dangerous.
    Cab showed more than a glimpse of why they worked so hard to get him, Riviere lacked composure but showed promise.
    No one played particularly poorly, though Colo seems mentally off the pace, Willo was the better cb today.

MOTM Colback by the smallest of margins ahead of Cabella.
    A very strong and assured game for a the local lad who’s heart was probably beating ten to the dozen when he stepped onto the pitch.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Toon-Prodigy

We have the players to end up mid table at a push. However we have a clueless manager who will have us struggling at the wrong end. When the goals don’t go in, it won’t be long before the first day enthusiasm from the newbies evaporates and it all falls apart.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Blackley,

Looking at that 1st eleven i can see goals myself.

Cabella i feel will hit 8-10 this season as will Riviere i think. Then we have De Jong and Cisse and Gouffran to chip in. I would love a proven goal scorer brought in though who has did it in this league.

I really think we will be ok. Injuries aside.

Tiote should be worried if he isn’t packing his bags. Colback was very promising today im over the moon for the lad. Solid display.

• jimmysmith

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Can’t see any way this squad finishes outside the top ten unless it’s decimated by injuries or by one of Ashleys lunatic stunts. Beyond the usual suspects at the top, the rest are run of the mill. I’d say eighth, and with a little luck and perhaps one or two of the new lads surprising us, perhaps one or two spots higher. Everton and Tottenham are good, but not at all out of reach.

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I’m sorry if anybody doesn’t agree with me, but Pardew played the wrong formation. 442 would have seen Riviere with alot more support. Then chucky didn’t even make da bench.
    I do feel we could have done better but I am still happy with the effort we put in. Also new players will need more time to gel in. Janmaat will take time like debuchy did. Colback da only one to feel a home 2day.

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM

And must be said, pellegrini is a class act. I just wish we had a manager like him.

• swemag

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Yes, Collback outstanding. What a steel. And given his roots he is not likely to lose his passion.

• switch365

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Shadow_Shearer

Chucky not only looked off the pace pre-season, he also looked a little lightweight, maybe he’s bulking up a little?

As for the formation, everyone has the right to their own opinion.
    Mine would be that had we played 4-4-2 there’d be far more people whining about Pardew playing defensively at home against a team who were expected to beat us, instead of trying to win.
    You can’t please everybody all the time and all that.

Until towards the very end of the match, route 1 was gone which is great to see, granted we had no target men, but that hasn’t stopped it in the past.

I’m not going to suddenly start praising Pards after all the failings he’s had, but I’ve seen nothing today to be on his back about.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Colo coming out with the ball -I do not see as a problem – he usually sees a pass and executes it fine. It is the defending side of his game that is receeding week by week – he is not very good.
    Those fans who think he is a good player I’m afraid I have to suggest that you change your game to something like ladies wrestling.

• USAGEORDIE

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Rumors circulating that Tottenham want to sell Townsend. I say sell Tiote for £8m and buy Townsend for £6m, add another striker and what a classy squad this could be…
    Krul
    Janmaat-Willo-Colo-Santon
    Colback-Sissoko
    Townsend-De Jong-Cabella
    Rivière
    CB is definitely a weakness and would love to see Manolas or Vlaar signed. All these signings would be fantastic but unfortunatly, unlikely.

• switch365

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:13 AM

If 1 thing was made clear during today’s match, it’s that Cabella is far better on the right, it’s where he played for Montpellier and where he looks most comfortable.
    To move him inside, or to switch him to the left would impact his creativity.

Agree with USAGEORDIE’s suggestion of Vlaar or Manolas, I’d add Alderweireld to that list

• jimmysmith

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Players make mistakes. Defensively I think Collocini makes far fewer poor decisions than most and his covering is first rate. He’s not the quickest and not great in the air and not the strongest in the tackle, although still capable in these areas. I see him as our best CB by some distance, and the side in need of an upgrade alongside him that both compensates and compliments him, and he them. He of course will need replacing too in one or two seasons, as age catches up with him. Also, this is a young side and his experience is much needed.

• davis_toons

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Really like to see Hatem Ben Arfa back.

Missing some skills, creatitivy and trickery.

He is blacklisted by Alan Pardew.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:25 AM

we need de jong back and i think we are a decent team. anita colback sisoko played so deep yesterday, reviere was so isolated.

we need de jong and him to play as close to riviere as possible.

• brklyngeordie

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:58 AM

I posted on previous thread that was followed up by many after and got no replies let me know what you all think of my analyzation

18brklyngeordie // Aug 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM

First off hearts go out to the family of John and Liam, watched on tv and couldn’t help but get emotional well done to the club and fans in attendance.

Now about the game and who played well and who did not..
    For me most did well only a few stood out and they were Cabella who was class and Colback did well and thought set pieces were good and felt Goofy should have scored on that corner. These were the only two who were up to par for me.

Now for the bad, Dummet was terrible very slow predictable with ball at feet often played backwards missed his chance with header from corner would have Haidara over him next game but that said really need Santon back ASAP.
    Sissoko I thought was terrible idk who could say otherwise his passing is terrible he hits it way to hard to teammates close to him has no movement off the ball felt many times he was crowding Cabella for no reason and offered no runs for him, his shot at end showed his lack of composure and class and more worrying for mee is how lacking he is in aerial threat for man his size feel he does not get most out of his physical size im really not opposed to him being dropped.

Colo for me was at fault for goal no reason for him to come all the way over and leaved miidle wide open for what was a cheeky back heel by Dzeko and on second goal ok did decent on Aguero who is tough but where did he go after initial shot how did Aguero get off floor and score on rebound before he could recover?

That said the Perez and Aarons was nice to see them get a run out..Overall not bad see better days ahead for us

• Blofal

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:46 AM

I am going to strangle the next fool who mentions Ben Arfa.

He is not going to play whilst Pardew is manager. Period. Time to move on.

• jimiley

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:55 AM

This club will never win anything under this owner and manager. Period. How do I know. Because the club has said it is not interested in winning Cups, regardless whether they are domestic or European. So what are they playing for? The owner spends the bare minimum to keep us in the league. No ambition other than to maintain a platform for his business and earning more dosh. The manager is really crap. A one trick pony who defends and tries to nick a one nil win. We never dominate a game. The proof? In the last 100 games when we have gone a goal behind (and have to take the game to the opposition) how many times have we won? And do not mention corners!!!!!! Useless.

• jimiley

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM

I see that Pards is coming out with the predictable bollocks after our predictable defeat. That is 11 losses in a row to City. It is no real hardship to lose to such a good team and it will not affect us etc etc.
    How about spending some proper money on a proper striker and CB. We have only spent the Cabaye and Debuchy money. What about the EIGHTY MILLION from SKY Cashley?
    The City defeat makes it 8 out of the last nine. Pards keeps racking up the records. No goals again. Unlucky to lose yesterday? No. Their keeper did not make any kind of save. They scored two. Simples. We would have been lucky to get a draw. That is the truth of the matter.

• Pottz

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Agreed jimily.

Predictable defeat and performance yesterday. No goals again.

I hear people say we have a good set of fixtures early on in the season and should rack up a good amount of points.

If Pardew fails to get off to a good start over the next 5-8 games, he will be bang in trouble. It won’t take much for the fans to turn. I reckon we are in for yet another long frustrating season

• Pottz

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:42 AM

And the back 4 are a complete shambles.