The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Some Good Newcastle News On The Injury Front

8:21 am, Monday, August 18th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

There was good news today after our disappointing defeat against Manchester City yesterday, when out lads deserved to take something out of the game, but we just couldn’t get that ball into the back of City’s net in that second half.

Oldham Athletic v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Siem de Jong - after scoring great goal at Oldham

The good news is that our Dutch striker Siem de Jong will return to training today, and he could be lining up at Villa Park next Saturday, when we must take something out of that game.

De Jong has been recovering from a calf injury over the last few weeks, but he should be available next Saturday to make his Newcastle debut, probably  in the withdrawn striker role at Aston Villa.

We’ll have to keep our fingers crossed this week and hope he doesn’t have any reaction to full training, but Alan Pardew was even expecting him to make it for yesterday’s game, so we hope that calf injury has now healed completely.

This is what Alan Pardew said after the game yesterday on the injury front:

“I think Siem will be close next week,” “Without Siem and Cheick – who I think will make a big difference to us – I thought we had a really good go,”

“I’m really buoyed, actually, by a lot of things that went on. I thought the crowd was great and we responded to that.

“Hopefully when we come here against Palace a week next Saturday, we will have some points on the board and we can get ourselves a good home win, which will be important for us.”

Cheick is said to be a bit behind Siem in terms of his recovery from a hamstring injury, so he may not make the Aston Villa game, but Jack Colback and Vurnon Anita worked well together in the two central midfield positions as Newcastle played in their familiar 4-2-3-1 formation.

Jack Colback was in outstanding form.

It will be very important that we pick up points in our next two games at Villa Park and then at home to Crystal Palace.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Injuries · Premier League · Siem de Jong

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Jesper

“Rangers dont want mr ashley either”

Can you blame them?? :D

• 2 nicktoon // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM

The negative comments regarding yesterday are exactly why people thing we are deluded fans. We are know where near man city on terms of quality and yet we matched them all game really. All the pundits seemed to be positive about us as a team and suggesting top 7-top 8. That is our level at the moment- be nice to be ambitious but as Graeme sourness said it would take a lot of money to get near top 4.
    I’m not Pardew or colos biggest fans but for colo he had a good game I thought. He was at fault for the goal but he does that every match tears in and is attracted to the ball. If he had got the ball no one would have mentioned it. As it happens a brilliant piece of vision from dzeko.
    And 2nd goal- we were stretched tired- aguero is quality and was fresh. Will happen to all teams. Calm down- we looked decent and I didn’t seem many long balls!! Positive for me

• 3 martoon // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I never comment on the match the evening after a match because of all the hysterical people on here on match days. I agree with most that we played quite well and the difference between the sides was the finishing.
    I was slightly disappointed with Janmaat, looked lost going forward and it was shown on MOTD2 that he was clearly at fault for their first goal despite all the experts on here blaming Colo! but it was his first premiership match so hopefully he will improve. Very surprised by Colback – I didn’t realise what a good player he is!

• 4 Slank // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM

REPOST

Nicktoon

Well said mate. Souness got it absolutley right. Ashley would have to substantially increase the amount of money available to the club in order to compete to qualify for the Champions League.

But of course this will not happen, not least because European Fair Play rules prevent him. I know some on here say they disregard these rules but Man City and Chelsea have certainly not disregarded these rules.

I heard Shearer and I think Souness say that we should concentrate on the two cups because we are unlikely to qualify for the Champions League and are unlikely to get relegated. I think all our fans would welcome that.

• 5 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM

we have a defence which is shambolic really.

and our worst defender yesterday was frankly Janmaat.

had a torrid time yesterday.

• 6 AaranD // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I mean come on, City spent more on a young center half than we have on pretty much a whole squad! But yesterday we didn’t look that far apart on footballing terms. Apart from 3 players everyone else who played was 25 or younger and with a lot of new faces as well compared to an unchanged City side which has won the league twice in the past 3 years.

But the performance yesterday will mean nothing unless the team build on it and become stronger for it.

• 7 yorkymag // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM

We did well yesterday against a top team
    The only thing that was glaringly obvious regardless of how good city were defensively was our lack of quality in front of goal
    We don’t have a natural goalscorer in the squad riveria is not that he had some good touches but his attempts at finishing we woeful
    Sissoko panics when anywhere near the box ,he should have earned a draw with more composure ,goffy wanted too much time and remy will get a goal or two but won’t be prolific again the same for Siem
    I am loving the potential of the squad but we desperately need a proven goal score who can play up top on his own
    Otherwise the great opportunity will evaporate ,yes we won’t play sides of city’s quality each week but you have to score goals

• 8 AaranD // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Woodgates (most highly thought of defender by most on here) debut for Real Madrid ended in a own goal and being sent off if I remember rightly then had shambles of a game in his second appearance for them.

So with missing most of pre-season I thought Janmaat did okay against the best side in the league. :D

• 9 AaranD // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Lets see what Riverie does against against a lesser team. I think Pardew tactics, though spot on, ment he had a hard game and ran himself into the ground.

• 10 Dick_Biggs // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Pardew will have a selection headache when all central midfielders are fit. Judging by yesterday’s performance I believe Colback has to start, Anita played well too……sissoko is very powerful however technically I don think he’s that good.

• 11 Slank // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM

martoon

People like to blame Colo.

For the first goal he and Williamson covered the man with the ball but an exquisite flick back found the on rushing City player with Janmaat trailing in his wake.

The second goal was a piece of individual brilliance.

Our overall play was excellent and all the newbies acquitted themselves. Colback was outstanding. I liked Riviere. He is big, mobile and strong. He is going to be a handful for defenders. I think he suffered from first night nerves. Cabella is also going to be a handful too. And he worked really hard for the team. None of this Ben Arfa stuff standing around idly while others do all the work. Can’t wait for the Villa game where we always do well. Hopefully De Jong will be back and perhaps Tiote.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Slank,
    Didn’t the club categorically state that winning a cup was not on the agenda.

• 13 Slank // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Yorkymag

Just adding to what you rightly said. The Man City team, albeit with one new player, have played together throughout last season.

We on the other hand have never played those 11 together as a team in a premiership match. At times it showed but that will be overcome with coaching and training on the practice pitch. Things look good.

• 14 Markaccus // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Dick_biggs

I think we will see socks moved back out to the right in a 4231 when everyone is fit. Its difficult to accomodate SDJ in a 433 so i think we might end up with…

Krul

Jan
    willo
    colo
    Haddy (hopefully)

Colback
    tiote

socks
    sdj
    cabella

rivvy

• 15 Slank // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Jail for Ashley

No they didn’t as far as I can tell.

What they said was that the premiership was the priority, which it is of course.

I believe they will go out this season to compete in both cups as they know they will not be relegated and cannot get into to the top four, even top six will be difficult.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Listening to Five Live yesterday in the car and the two presenters were raving about Eric Dier, what an upgrade on STaylor he would have been.

• 17 Rotonda heights // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I was talking to a Chelsea mate and he said he was very impressed with our young guns. That was generally my feeling too, I saw a lot of potential in Rivi, Cabella, Perez and Aarons.

It’s a shame it always seems to take going a goal down to start applying pressure and we seem unused to getting numbers forward in support, but maybe this will come.

Would really like to see one of those German defenders like Rutiger come in, as sadly Colo’s
    boat has now definitely sailed.

• 18 martoon // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Slank @11 – I agree with your assessment. It seems trendy to slag off Colo & Willo but when you are at the match they work quite well together and Willo’s reading of the game and timely interceptions is pretty good.
    I think the left back is a problem area – Dummett is a better defender but looks lost going forward whereas Haidara is the opposite – ideally a combination of the two would be best.

• 19 Spud // Aug 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

One thing i didn’t like about yesterday was that in the first half when we had a player got in a good position up front, there was just no support. But we really sorted that out and i thought we deserved AT LEAST a draw.

• 20 Average_Contents // Aug 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Much like Martoon I decided to wait till the day after to avoid hysteria and trolls doing what they do best-trolling.

In a nutshell I thought we played ok, nothing more nothing less against a far superior team who scored two good goals albeit the first was aided by our two centre backs going after the same man and our right back not covering the space which opened up because of this. It’s his first game so allowances are allowed but even then that’s why silva is one of the best players in the league.

What is glaringly obvious though is the dire need of a proven goalscorer, also a link between midfield and attack (hopefully de jong) and a composed centre back who doesn’t flap when under pressure.

Dummett isn’t good enough (at the moment) another flapper then hoofs, would of preferred hairdryer to play as I mentioned when the team got announced

Overall an OK performance yesterday that whilst having lots of heart and graft sadly lacked any real threat going forward until the last 20 minutes by which time it was too late and again lacked composure!

I know you’ve all been waiting for my assessment with baited breath so here it is :-D one poster in particular who likes me a lot ;-)

• 21 Goofy // Aug 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Imho Colo did a lot of good yesterday but was only noticed for the blunders. All the Colo haters must’ve missed all the interceptions, and cleaning up he did for most of the match. Put yourself in his shoes. We had a LB that frankly shouldn’t be in the 1st team, a big slow thick CB as a partner and a new RB who needs to adjust to the EPL. Not all his fault I think.

Noticed that Anita takes a fair bit of stick on here as well. He’s our most level headed CM, never panics, snaps at the heels of the opposition. Has great vision for a pass, I think he’s a little gem of a player, very underrated.

Williamson and Dummet need to be replaced. Yes Williamson wins the headers mainly because he’s the tallest defender we have but lacks everything else. There seems to be a delay between his brain and legs.
    The rest of the squad seem fine, got strength, speed, flair and grafters.

Pardew has to work on the set pieces, crossing every free kick to Williamsons head is childs play. Try passing to feet or take the shot. 9 times out of 10 Williamson gives away a free kick with his clamouring over their defence.

• 22 Owldman // Aug 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Whats happened to Santon, we also have Tiote, nothing been said about him, or are we resigned to losing him, although Anita is a neat tidy midfielder he lacks a bit of muscle, where as Tiote is strong and gets a dig in when it matters,

• 23 peterk3 // Aug 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Its nice to read so many positive comments on this blog for a change. Collocini is still a class defender no matter what the idiots say, he’s composed and brings the ball out well , his passing is also top notch. Last season Williamson was our best defender and yesterday he was solid. The whole team showed we can be a force this season. We’ve played the best, now bring on the rest.

previous post: This Player Our Man of The Match – Easily