This Player Our Man of The Match – Easily

Newcastle’s best two players in yesterday’s 2-0 defeat by Manchester City were Jack Colback and Remy Cabella, and both were making their first team competitive debuts for the club and playing for the first time at St. James’  Park in a competitive match.

Jack Colback 99 +Newcastle+United+v+Manchester+2lMXDigSI-Hl

Jack Colback – great display for the Magpies

Jack Colback has rather easily won out first Man of the Match poll with a good 58% of the vote, and Remy Cabella showed just how good he  can be for us in the future, once he gets some games under his belt.

Moussa Sissoko came in a distant third with just 4% of the vote, and he looked what he is – a powerful player for Newcastle, but all the talk after the game was about the performances of Jack and Remy.

It bodes well for the future that a number of our new players looked good in black and white yesterday, and they all worked their socks off for the cause, and showed strong mental strength as they went all out for the equalizer in those final 30 minutes of the game.

Our lads had no luck yesterday.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Man City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

• nicktoon

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM

The negative comments regarding yesterday are exactly why people thing we are deluded fans. We are know where near man city on terms of quality and yet we matched them all game really. All the pundits seemed to be positive about us as a team and suggesting top 7-top 8. That is our level at the moment- be nice to be ambitious but as Graeme sourness said it would take a lot of money to get near top 4.
    I’m not Pardew or colos biggest fans but for colo he had a good game I thought. He was at fault for the goal but he does that every match tears in and is attracted to the ball. If he had got the ball no one would have mentioned it. As it happens a brilliant piece of vision from dzeko.
    And 2nd goal- we were stretched tired- aguero is quality and was fresh. Will happen to all teams. Calm down- we looked decent and I didn’t seem many long balls!! Positive for me

• Slank

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Jesper

Take no notice of that. It’s from a website run by people who hate the club. They masquerade as Newcastle supporters but you only have to read a few of their articles to realize all they want to do is criticize the club, the owner, the manager and certain players. I think they are Sunderland supporters.

• Slank

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I thought Colback was outstanding. He probably of all the recruits had more pressure on him because of where he came from.

I’m really looking forward to him playing alongside Tiote and De Jong, hopefully against Villa.

• Slank

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Nicktoon

Well said mate. Souness got it absolutley right. Ashley would have to substantially increase the amount of money available to the club in order to compete to qualify for the Champions League.

But of course this will not happen, not least because European Fair Play rules prevent him. I know some on here say they disregard these rules but Man City and Chelsea have certainly not disregarded these rules.

I heard Shearer and I think Souness say that we should concentrate on the two cups because we are unlikely to qualify for the Champions League and are unlikely to get relegated. I think all our fans would welcome that.

• scitoon

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM

This morning i thought i would catch up on the reaction from y’days match andi can’t help but feel that most of the comments on Ed’s last post were way off.

People seem to forget that we played Man City – a team that will score for fun against most teams in the Prem. I thought the 4-3-3 was the right formation by Pards: a 4-4-2 would have seen us over-run in midfield by city’s midfield trio. My only slight gripe is with Sissoko/Goofy for not bombing fwd in support of Riviere when he was holding the ball up.

As far as CBs go, Willo and Colo were excellent except for 2 moments of World class skill by players who cost more than our team put together. I think im honestly the only one who feels we don’t need another CB (Yanga and the 3 promising youth CBs as back up is fine with me). In addition, Colo is great with his feet and a fine passer of the ball. Some of his passes out of defence showed great composure and creativity.

I have real hope and optimism for this season and i think we will beat Villa quite easily in our next match.

• Mozambique Mag

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Nicktoon/Slank Spot on,
    Couldn’t believe some of the comments yesterday from fans! I thought we played well, pressed high up the pitch, didn’t give them much time and got punished by two very good goals from the team which has the most expensive squad & won the league last season. I thought the guys gave 100% and even thought Pardews selection & subs were good (with the exception of Anita for obertan though) Yes it was a defeat 2-0 and obviously I would of preferred a win but again we were playing one of the strongest teams in the league if not europe lets have a bit of a reality check.

With regards to chances yes no shots on goal but we came close a few times and on another day could have nicked at least 1. I thought reviere looked dangerous and can clearly hold up a ball much better than Cisse, but I still hope we sign a clinical 15-20 goal striker before close as this would really give us a chance of pushing top 6.

I thought Colo played well and was solid alongside Willo, Janmaat was caught out a couple of times but Man City were clearly doubling up on his side. Dummet I thought was reasonably solid, the kid needs games and experience but I still rate Haidara above him in pecking order as has more pace. Sissoko was a beast and really thrived playing more central, Cabella looked tricky and I think he can create some chances.

Still Got Dejong & Tiote to come back, I would swap anita for tiote and maybe push Cabella left and Dejong for gouffran but then that leaves sissoko out right… decisions decisions but hey I don’t get paid to make them ; )

More of the same for Villa please

• Sav

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM

We did play well. And that deserved to be finished off with at least one goal. While Riviere (and Perez) rightly are praised for work rate, effort, enthusiasm, courage, making decent runs and not being afraid to have a go, it is still a fact that that is why ambitious clubs pay out between 15 and 30 million for a top striker. The difference between them and our lads may be in centimetres and milliseconds, not yards and seconds, but it is the difference between the ball ending up in the back of the net or not. That is why they cost so much and why we will struggle because Monster Mash won’t invest it.

• Sav

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM

After a couple more winnable matches lost through missed chances, the praise for youthful endeavour will quickly turn sour. But the window will be shut by then.

• peterk3