The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It Will Take Ten Games For New Team To Gel – Pardew

8:20 am, Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

After the Manchester City game on Sunday, Alan Pardew made some good points in his many interviews about how it will take time for the many new players in the side to get to know how each other play, and also to get to know how the manager himself operates and what he wants out of the players.

alan pardew sociedad

Alan Pardew – will take us 10 games to gel

It does take some time, especially when we have so many new players in the squad, with six players making their competitive debuts for Newcastle against City.

This is what Alan said after the game:

“There’s a lot of things about the players I don’t know in terms of the new ones, in terms of what we’re going to get when we have a setback.”  “I was pleased after we conceded the first goal because I thought our reaction after the first goal was fantastic.”

“Those things I have to learn about the new players, they have to learn about me and how I work, all of that takes time.” “There’s many quotes from many Premier League managers about players needing to settle a little bit.”

“We’ve got to introduce a lot of new players, and that has to be taken a little bit into consideration in the first ten games. I still think we’re going to be a good side this year.”

“It’s always important to put on a show of unity and we had a difficult time at the back end of last season, but a lot of Premier League sides did,  and it’s important to put things in to perspective, which I think we have.”

“We’ve signed some good players and now it’s a question of getting results that give us a confidence to grow. Results give you confidence. We’ll have got a certain confidence, but it’s good to get wins, especially with new players.”

“You need that confidence in each other. That’s what we’re looking at: the next game, we’re looking to win it.” “I don’t think it’s a setback. I honestly think we’ve come up against individuals we’re not going to see every week.”

“Some of their play was outstanding and you only have to see it close up to know the quality of Nasri, Silva, the power of Yaya Toure, and Dzeko up front is a real handful.”

“I thought we coped with it as well as we could have. When you play the top teams you need a break, there’s no doubt about that. Whenever I’ve won against the top sides, you get a break in the game.”

“It didn’t happen for us, we didn’t get a ricochet or anything that fell our away, but I’m kind of as pleased as I can be with a 2-0 defeat.”

There were a few times in the final 20 minutes of the game, where Newcastle had some chances to score, but we just couldn’t get the ball into the net, and then City got another injury time goal to give them a rather flattering score against Newcastle.

The next two games at Aston Villa and home to Crystal Palace will be important for Newcastle, and we certainly need to pick up points and hopefully get at least one win out of those two games.

The game at Villa on Saturday is the early kick-off game at 12:45 pm, so it would be nice if we can win that one.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM

jail

noooo,

people who are passionate about something , don’t just give up,

for me nothing has changed, I will fight my corner until he is gone,

and yes I know you and lots of others have changed your mind on where you stand on pardew , and that’s great , but people coming on here and pretending to see something they did not see in order to back their argument up is pure madness ,

the gulf between burnley and Chelsea is huge , yet in my eyes they can count them selfs unlucky, Chelsea had 3 shots on target and scored all 3 , burnley had 2 and scored 1,
    the law of averages says if you hit the target one will go in sooner or later,
    now for pardew to come out and say we were unlucky and we never had a shot on target is just false , we had a line guy up front with no support for the majority of the game ,
    that’s called living in hope not unlucky,

again every team in the division has new players , the chosen one said last night he only had 7 training sessions with that team due to the World Cup and new guys coming in late, his team at the top need time to adopt and get with the pace, what’s so special about our team , why should he be giving time ?

pardew waxed lyrical about all these new attacking options , yet all I hear him talk about is SDJ, why talk up our new attacking impetus then say it will be different when we get our main guy back when he has never played a game for us?

once again it’s pardew has spoken so it must be true, that’s why we have so many sheep

baarrrrr

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Catchy,We’re not sheep, all the papers are saying it was a gutsy performance, NUFC.com saying we gave a good game, Look North the same, the City manager gave us credit and by all accounts the crowd came away reasonably happy despite a loss, why can’t you accept that we done ok, save the criticism for when it’s deserved.

• 3 martoon // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:30 AM

catchy – You keep quoting the shots on target stat but they don’t tell the whole story. From memory we had at least 3 shots on target but they were blocked by defenders , presumably only shots saved by the keeper count officially. This is a good example of how stats don’t always give a true refelction.

• 4 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM

it will take 10 days for players to get pardewed under pardew

• 5 catchy in norway // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM

martoon

yeh yeh I seen that , but who is to say they were on target? and let face it they all happened in about 10 seconds

jail

I listened to robbie mustoe after the game , and I fully agree with what he said, nufc looked good at times but offered nothing up front , lots of endeavour for nothing,

some numpty came on last night and nufc should be proud, they had the highest % of play in the MF area of any team ( before last nights game), how sad is that, I bet if had of checked the stat of how much time was played in the final third , we would have been around the bottom of all the teams that played

there is and always has been a huge gap between our MF and our forwards, even with cabaye in the team ,

what’s gona change

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Well we knew 100% the players gelling excuse would be used, if they hadn’t of left a year and a half in between buying players we wouldn’t have this problem, I fear a false dawn for everyone who thinks that Mashers has new ambition because he’s spent player sales money, this team could finish eighth, it won’t be strengthened again until two of Tiote, Krul, Sissoko, Janmaat, or Cabella are sold

• 7 cyprus // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Dude,
    You’ve got ten games… for the last last time. If you don’t deliver, you really must go man. This is a very talented set of players you have (ok, bar Ober – btw don’t play him, how many chances can you give him?), get them playing as a team. Don’t only count on individual brilliance, we’ve been down that road.

• 8 beermonkey // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

catchy

do you not consider perez shot on goal the only reason it went just wide was it clipped the leg of the def in a good bit of defending, its not like we wernt getting into the right places and didn’t have any shots

you mention Chelsea 3 shots 3 goals that’s what money buys you, there would have been no point in us spending 28 mill on say lakaku he never would have gotten any service the way we were

• 9 lesh // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Catchy as ever, bright eyed and bushy tailed!

Catchy, try a smile ( :-D ), it’s good exercise first thing in the morning!

• 10 Average_Contents // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I wonder how long it’ll take before the ten game yatdstick turns into the twenty game one? I seem to remember him saying something similar in previous seasons

And I’m sorry but even if it is out of context him saying he was glad we conceded the first goal so he could gauge the reaction of the new players is quite frankly disturbing, just keep you gob shut you knobber….I don’t know why I read his bollox tbh, I wish fatty’s gag had been across the board

• 11 Lost Plot // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM

The City game is behind us now .. Leave the back room staff and players to work on their next game :-)

The stress of looking into the unknown is immense .. Who’s good enough, who’s not .. Unless you get paid for wrecking ya head our such tasks

Let’s jus Chill .. Can we not talk about the meals the guys have in the canteen

Or system of tiling that’s in the dressing room & showers

The way the grass is cut at the training ground

A lot of factors need to be considered when judging the teams performance!

The North East (Newcastle very much say) is friendly place to live, work n breathe)

Where do some of the people amongst here come from because you definitely ain’t on the Northumbia Water

Let’s get behind the guys against Villa —– Win On :-)

• 12 scout // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Agree with Pardew about the 10 games. Anyone who thinks its an excuse should be delivering pizzas, its pretty basic stuff really.
    Villa will be a lot different to the City game and I expect 3 points.

• 13 Mickalonius // Aug 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM

You are wating your time, the Oracle of Oslo knows all..

• 14 the truth will out // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM

ten games we might be pointless after that kin idiot

• 15 Kamikaze Koala // Aug 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM

And pre season was what for again… (aside for fitness)

• 16 thejokethatisnufc // Aug 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM