The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – These Two Goalscorers Are Massive For Us

9:08 am, Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Newcastle were four players short of their best team on Sunday against Champions Manchester City, and we were missing Cheick Tiote, Siem de Jong, Papiss Cisse and Davide Santon, who you would probably expect to be starters when they are fit.

Newcastle United Training Session

Siem de Jong in training before his injury

That wasn’t true of Papiss last season, and he had a very poor season, after he had made such a blistering start to his Newcastle career with 13 goals in his first 14 appearances in 2012 in the second half of the season, when we finished 5th.

And we have to hope that we see that Papiss Cisse,  when he returns from his broken knee-cap which we suppose could still be a month away.

Davide Santon is still about that same time away from recovering from his knee injury,  and he should come back into the side and be our starting left back – as the Italian has been in the three seasons he’s been on Tyneside.

Siem should be fit for our game at Villa Park on Saturday, although Cheick Tiote still seems to be only 50-50 with his hamstring injury.

Alan Pardew has talked about Siem and Papiss, who can both score goals for us this season:

“We’re still missing Papiss Cisse and Siem de Jong through injury, two massive players for us that we’ve paid a financial outlay on.”

“We feel they’re big, big players. So, no, I feel that once they’re in and around the squad as well we’re going to be difficult,  and I think we’ll score goals. I think Siem will be close next week.”

We should see Siem in action on Saturday, and from what we’ve seen of this player so far, he could be a big player for us this season.

Siem can score goals and he is dangerous with free kicks just outside the box, and Alan Pardew seems to be have been delighted with what he has seen so far from the 25 year-old Dutch International.

And Papiss Cisse needs to come back and show that confidence he had two years ago, when he looked such a world beater for us in 2012.

If these two lads can have good seasons, then Newcastle should do very well by the time next May rolls around.

That’s what we’re hoping. :D

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Davide Santon · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · Siem de Jong

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Ed

For us to see the best of Cabella and the other new young guns, Pardew needs to move away from his usual over cautious containment play, lack of movement and deep defending, which actually hands the opposition the initiative to attack us.

There were signs of things changing on Sunday, but arguably after we had to chase the game. If pardew is positive from the off I’m sure he will reap the benefits sooner rather than later.

Yes we many lose a couple but rather we go down competing and playing football than what we saw last season and the one before

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Repost;
    The problem with our side needing 10 games to gel is that during those 10 games there are plenty of very winnable matches. If we don’t win half of these then it leaves us in a poor place going into a far harder set of fixtures.

I’m not arguing with the validity of his argument, but we need to get off to a good start this season, and the next 7 games are ones we should be looking to win. Pardew needs to get the team winning and gelling at the same time. He hasn’t been helped by the fact we had to rebuild so substantially, if we had continually improved over the last 2/3 windows then we wouldn’t have had as many to gel and settle at once.

• 3 beermonkey // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM

martoon

I thought adding roy keane to there back room staff was a good idea lambert always seemed to be a nice chap keane will do the dirty work and tell the players off

villa wont be easy when thing click for them there not bad but there pacey
    away from home we can gauge where we are
    I look forward to it

really hope Gillingham game is televised as I hope Aarons perez start in it down side is I think salour will start

• 4 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM

croftus5678 // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM

imo we did great and wasnt outplayed
    – – – – – – – – – –

Are you learning Pardish? Is there one grammatically correct sentence in that!! lol !!

• 5 catchy in norway // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I have no idea where any of you get the notion from that I think our players played badly,

I came on here and said I thought our defence coped quite well, I thought both of there goals had a touch of magic about them, I was impressed with dummett , he kept nasri quiet,

I thought city at times were camped around our box passing it around , but could not find away in,

I think goofy was running all over but no were we needed him, I thought sissoko and Anita had great games , giving the players they where up against, but then you move the ball past the half way line rivi chased everything down, you could not ask for more , and cabella, wow what a player, fantastic on the ball , but lacked options , regardless of who we play every player needs options ,

then the first sub, who in there right mind would make obertan their first sub, not many, the fact that he went into hiding when he came on meant we went down to 10 men

another fact for you, the more new players pardew introduced , the better we became, yes they need time to gel, but did the players do anything wrong ? no

first sub was wrong, so wrong, and the tactic to contain is wrong , the game is 90 mins long , why on earth would anyone let there team play for only 15 minutes ?

• 6 Average_Contents // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Beermonkey

No it’s not televised mate

• 7 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Catchy if the players did nothing wrong surely that reflects well on the manager.

• 8 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

only thing which concerns me is that our striker gets no support at all while attacking under pardew its been a usual problem

• 9 catchy in norway // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

tequila

they did the job the manager have them

• 10 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I’m not quite sure why pardew thinks it would take at least 10 games to gel.

Certainly it will take a bit of time for sure but again it smacks of getting excuses in early

Last season martinez had Lukaku, barry, Mccarthy, defaleo and others all come in and click more or less from the off as did Rodgers, Pochetinno and others, even Pulis!

I’m not saying AP has to be gung ho in his comments but if his sound bites could just be a bit more upbeat the players and fans would feed off it.

• 11 stuart no9 // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Ed —- as for ‘4’ players missing on saturday , SDJ, has never played for us before and cisse is not really a miss is he ? so in fairness , we had 2 players missing on saturday. when you see the effort burnley put in yesterday, they wont be an easy 3 points either.

• 12 Ethiotoon // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I was still pleased and motivated about our team.The initial game setup against man city was team defending and hit them on the counter attack. the plan worked almost for 40min b4 lack of concentration from our defenders gave them the lead.for this we can’t blame anyone at the back bcoz this can happen to any top team.Our performance showed to forget about siem and tiote.
    The substitute the mgr made really spot on for me.perfectly executed ,though we were unlucky not got the equalizer.
    As AP said it takes a little time to get composed and settle with the new players
    We can’t blame anyone in our first game.l am sure plenty to come from the lads.
    That makes Villa game even more exciting

• 13 stuart no9 // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

ROTONDA– 10 games sound good to me . , it will be near xmas and that is when i predict pardew to be sacked, so 10 games is fine.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I just feel with the players we have now we should look to express ourselves and play football by taking the game to
    the opposition.

Obviously against city that’s easier said than done but in the past it has been the same cautious approach no matter who we play.

We have some seriously good players now who will thrive on attacking football, not leaving one man isolated up top.

• 15 stuart no9 // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Ethiotoon—– if we are bottom by xmas, who would you blame then ???

• 16 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Stuart if we are bottom by Xmas then of course Pardew will be on his way. Do you really think we will though?
    One game is not enough to gauge the season. Nobody expected a win and the performance had a lot of positives.

• 17 Ethiotoon // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

stuart no9
    The good thing is we won’t be with the players we have,personally I don’t want to blame players and mgrs,but from what I’ve
    Seen from the city game,we really gave it a go and that display surely give players and of course the mgr big boost for the next game.

• 18 stuart no9 // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM

tequila— its always the same when we play a ‘big club’ the same excuse, so ok, wait till we play villa- leicester burnly, lets see the excuses then if we get beat, . I remember getting beat off man city last season 4-0 , and people , yeah we were playing city away though . but after that smaller clubs came along soonb after and beat them . they struggled for a while . luckily won the league but they struggled after they played us .

• 19 lesh // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I’ve no doubt that the way Pards is bugging up Cisse, then he’s to be the striker we all know we need.

No signing in that department, that’s for sure and what’s more, as we have a number of CB options, albeit not great, I’d guess that Ashley’ll not open the cheque-book again till January – but only if the big R threatens!

• 20 lesh // Aug 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Whoops!

* bugging = bigging up

• 21 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Stuart,

As much as I would liked to be proved wrong I just think AP is too set in his ways to bring the best out of the players we now have and have always had tbh.

I don’t know if AP or Allardyce will ever feel comfortable being asked or in Allardyce’s case ordered to play more attacking and entertaining football.

Defensive, containing, risk free football with 1 man on his own up top, not supported quickly enough, is so engrained in both their mentality that it’s going to take a huge leap and stretch to artificially do something which does not come naturally to you.

You will have different mindsets in all sports and I’m showing my age here but ie Geoff Boycott could take forever painfully compiling runs where as ”King Viv” Richards could regularly score at more than a run a ball even in test cricket and I know which one I preferred to watch.

If Pardew can totally alter his ethos and play offensive football on a regular basis, not just we are a goal down then it would be fantastic.

Saw glimpses of that on Sunday, maybe against weaker opposition if we attack from the off rather than wait to see what happens, who knows where it could take us.

• 22 optimistic prime // Aug 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

After 10 games last year people where talking about Europe.

After 20 games people where convinced of Europe.

We all witnessed the horror show of the last 18 games.

My point is no one can judge this squad or Pardew until the final whistle of the last game of the season.

I dislike Pardew for many reasons and I like a few others have completely wrote him off as our manager and can’t see him changing his ways.

Can we or should we give him another chance?

Easy answer…. We have no choice.

I hate the atmosphere that Pardew and Ashley have created at SJP, so much so many times I’ve sat in a pub or the house instead of attending a match I had a ticket for!

I’m optimistic for change and I HOPE it comes and ATM all I have is HOPE and neither Ashley or Pardew can take that!

HTL

• 23 dcdick // Aug 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Bottom of the table AGAIN………now we need 10 matches to GEL !

Get rid of this clown now !

Pardew Out !!!

previous post: This Player Like A Breath Of Fresh Air At Newcastle

next post: This Player A Future Captain At Newcastle?