Pardew – This Midfielder Can Become Leader At Newcastle

Moussa Sissoko had a good World Cup for France in the summer, and he has been a good player and an automatic starter for Newcastle  United ever since he arrived on Tyneside from Toulouse in  January of 2013.

Moussa Sissoko +Newcastle+United+v+Manchester+STgE3iKjMAql

Moussa Sissoko in action on Sunday

And Moussa could have been the hero on Sunday, after Remy Cabella set him up brilliantly, and Moussa had a clear shot on goal from just outside the penalty area, but ballooned the ball over the bar when he should have done a lot better, and at the time there were only a couple of minutes to go and the score was still 1-0.

And that’s just one part of his game that he can improve – his goal scoring record – and in 57 appearances for Newcastle Moussa has 6 goals.

Alan Pardew has always been a big fan of the 21 times capped French International ,and Alan had this to say about his 6’2″ powerhouse today, when asked if the 25 year-old can improve:

“Yes, I do. I think Moussa is a player who can grow. I think he can improve in the Premier League and for France.” “He showed a few flashes in the World Cup and that was very pleasing for us.”

“He’s a huge character as well as a very important player for us and I think we will see more of his character this year.” “He has a winning mentality and we are looking forward to a big season from him.”

“I wouldn’t say Yohan was the leader in the dressing room as such, but he was a leader on the pitch in terms of the way he pulled the strings and dictated the pace.”

“Moussa is a different type of player. I think he can lead us with his spirit and his drive.”  “That is his strength and he has already shown that in his early games here when he scored against Chelsea.”

“He has such tremendous power and of course in the Premier League that is very important, and also in the world game.”

In some games Moussa looks simply world-class, but in other games he doesn’t show much at all, and looks rather ordinary.

As well as increasing his goal scoring record, Moussa needs to become more consistent, but he has everything it takes to be a top player in the Premier League.

We would like to see Moussa play in a central midfield role at Newcastle – and he would work well with local lad Jack Colback, who has made such an excellent start to his career at his home town club.

There’s no doubt that Moussa has the talent and the physical attributes to become a top player – and now his challenge is to become that player at Newcastle – hopefully this season.

What do you think?

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Jail,
    I was saying at the time what a good player he would be. A bit too soon for raving about him in the Prem. Despite him having a great debut I still think it will take a bit of a settling in period, but he will be a top player. I mentioned him last summer as a player we should be keeping a close eye on. I wrote a piece on him 3/4 years ago as one to watch, along with another Brit abroad, Jack Harper, who is now progressing nicely through the Real Madrid youth ranks.

I’d hope we did go for him, but I guess we are unlikely to ever know.

• Markaccus

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Well, for me the equation is simple. IF Tiote leaves, then Socks and colback become the CMs. It isnt quite the same as tiote/colback, but instead of having tiote as the destroyer, they could share that between them, and with socks’ powerfull running, and colbacks good distribution, the midfeild had good defensive and attacking balamce imo.

• firebug666

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Pardrew is waxing lyrical about each player in turn, and I suppose he has to to keep them happy. But with all these leaders he keeps telling us we have, I start to wonder who will be left to do the work. Too many chiefs and all that!

On his day Sissoko is a tremendous player, and pops up when you least expect it to snatch a goal or to, but I don’t see him as a leader. For me Sissoko if a grafter, a power unit in the engine room that can drive on up the pitch and squeeze the opposition allowing our forwards to try and find that bit of space.

With Siem de Jong pulling the strings in attack, Cheick Tiote breaking up play in midfield and Fabricio Coloccini doing his best to marshal the defense we don’t need anymore leaders on the field.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Sissoko needs to do a lot more in games if he is to become a leader of this team. He should be a physically imposing figure, but more often than not he is shrugged off the ball by people half his size. His passing isn’t good enough, and he lacks the concentration levels when tracking a man. When he drives forward on form, he is superb. Far too rare an occurrence though.

He is now getting to the age where these inconsistencies in his play and weaknesses need to be eradicated if he is to fulfil the promise that he showed when breaking through to first team football in France.

By rights, he should be more than capable of replacing Tiote in the centre of midfield, but he would have to improve substantially for me to risk playing him as a deeper lying player centrally.

• Rainrix

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

After a year and a half, i think its fair to say sissoko is inconsistent at best. Though he seems to be a real favourite of pardews. I seem to remember a interview last season when he said he’ll always stick with sissoko. He’d have to do something seriously wrong to ever get dropped out this side.

• Markaccus

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Wenger is such a gob$hite. Ok, maybe Ramseys second yellow is questionable, but the first is nailed on. He was trying to swap shirts ffs! And no way did Ba try to hurt Arteta.

• Markaccus

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Lilongwe

I dont see either socks or colback as a direct replacement for tiote, bit i do think they could do it between them. Colbacks tackling is good, and like you say, socks SHOULD be able to use his strength better. Both players offer more going forward than tiote. Got to wonder whether Pardew will see it that way

• WestOzMag

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

His bags will be packed come the end of the season when Pardew does the inevitable and loses 4,5,6 in a row. The ususal French whinge will soon be evident.

• WestOzMag

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Having said that I do expect more from sissoko as he is strong, fast, powerful and needs to show this consistantly during his play. Back to the defense, oh we are rubbish and I worry every game how many goals against this time. I can’t seem to fathem how the 4 cb’s get a game. 4 in 4 out for me!!

• Brutooon

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Collocini SHOULDNT be our captain anymore because:

1) he didnt talk much

2) lead by example? he is to blame for both goals against man city

3) Plus he is ageing already. we need a younger mid 20s year old as a captain

• nastynorm

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Sissoko dosnt deserve a place in team at the moment he dosnt do enuf 4 me out wide, he shud b playd in middle with colback, it’s about time he took the game by the scruff of the neck & play 2 his strengths. I still worry bout our defence & the lack of a vocal captain get Richards in 2 give defence a bit more presence were a soft touch, here’s hoping