The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Dutch Striker Fit – Midfielder For Sale At Right Price

5:14 pm, Thursday, August 21st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

Alan Pardew held his news conference this afternoon for the game at Aston Villa on Saturday, after he and a Newcastle United contingent had attended the funeral this morning of Liam Sweeney at St. Marys Cathedral.

newcastel contingent Sweeney funeral

Newcastle representatives at Liam Sweeny’s funeral this morning

And as expected Alan was asked about the status of Cheick Tiote, who he said will not be fit for Saturday’s game and the manager confirmed that Cheick Tiote is a target of Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow.

The Lokomotiv bid a few weeks back was said to be £4M, which is derisory for sure, and only just above the £3.5M Newcastle paid FC Twente for his four years ago.

Pardew said that the bid was “below the club’s valuation”  and that’s code for – we will sell Cheick if somebody meets the Newcastle valuation – which is anywhere from £8M to £15M depending on which reports you believe.

But we also feel sure that Alan Pardew would not like to lose his defensive midfielder so late in this summer transfer window – but he doesn’t control that – as Alan found out when we lost Yohan Cabaye in January.

The good news is that Siem de Jong is fit again, and will be in the squad that travels to Villa Park tomorrow.

This is some of what Alan said in his press conference today:

“Siem de Jong has trained all week and will be in the squad for Villa.” “Tiote has been running outside and working towards training.”

“We will be facing a Villa side who will be full of confidence after a great away win last week.” “We have to be stiff opposition.”

If Siem can start tomorrow then Newcastle will be much more dangerous up front than we were last Sunday against Man City, when Manu Riviere was our loan striker.

Siem will play as a withdrawn striker in the number 10 role tomorrow at Villa Park – and we hope the Dutchman starts the game.

Maybe he cans get a goal on his competitive debut for Newcastle?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Premier League · Press Conference · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 dannitoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

He actually said he didn’t want to sell him

• 2 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

oops, he has slipped on the bus step. once again he remains doubtful

• 3 cestriasteve // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I would be gutted if he left.

Mind shift from a few posts back:

Steven Taylor in swap deal, he would be way above their wage cieling, ironic that, isn’t it!!!!

• 4 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM

“We will be facing a Villa side who will be full of confidence after a great away win last week.” “We have to be stiff opposition.”thats why i will let them loose in a strip joint lol.

• 5 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Same performance against villa as we did against city, plus siem de jong, and I’m confident of taking all 3 points

• 6 NOVA2967 // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Good deeds, don’t see other clubs doing these things… or Obama

• 7 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM

As good as tioti is, he only plays half a season. Would rather have another talented defensive mid who’s not so injury prone.
    Or
    Shove colo in def mid and bring in van dyke.

• 8 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Is Riviere on loan, Ed? I thought we bought him. :)

I thought Manu was a bit excitable with his finishing attempts, but maybe over keen to impress. A couple of things he did do which we haven’t seen from a striker since Al, was to be in space at the tight moment, and to fend off good defenders and still keep the ball or play it in. He may be better than we think. If Ayoze continues from where he left off he will be pretty decent too imo. Looks busy, keen to find his way into the box, nippy and pretty brave for a slight lad.

We could be spoiled, especially if Cisse comes back to find that service in the final third has improved a lot.

• 9 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Tsunki

Riviere was bought outright, I think either 5 or 6 million.

Ferreyra in on loan with option to buy

• 10 Average_Contents // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM

He said HE didn’t want to sell and the club’s valuation wasn’t met thus implying if the club’s valuation is met then he has no say in the matter as FATTY would sell in a heartbeat

Every player has his price regardless if it’s detrimental to the team as we all know….shame really as this window so far has been ok apart from needing a CB and striker but if we sell tiote then it’s pointless and it’s all been for nothing ffs!

• 11 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Shadow – have a read of Ed’s comments. His typos make me laugh sometimes, although my phones autocorrect continuously makes a fool out of me. Ok then a bigger fool.

• 12 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM

It wasn’t such a crazy idea to try Colo as the defensive mid was it. Was it? I dunno.

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I’m hoping siem hits the ground running and controls the show, Cabella running riot. We need to peg them back and they have got some speed on the flanks so please Alan, not Dummet. With the talent we have on the wings we should be able to keep our FB’s back and not rush forward like heroes.

• 14 JamesToon // Aug 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I personally think, we are still in need for a deep lying playmaker, similar of cabaye’s abilities.

This may be an odd choice, but I think Villa’s Ashley Westwood would be a great option, he’s known for his passing abilities, and can dictate the play. He may not be as a big name as Cabaye is but h can certainly do a job and is English! And, was Cabaye that known when he came to us anyway?

• 15 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Shadow shearer

I’m speculating here but think Tiote plays more games than Colo

G – it’s a misconception from British fans who think roughing up the opposition works, these Spanish teams are well above our kick rush football, levante are better than Stoke etc….i know er shouldn’t read to much into friendlies but we were taught a lesson by malaga…hardly a great team

• 16 JamesToon // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I personally think that we are still in need of a deep lying playmaker, similar of cabaye’s abilities.

This may be an odd choice to you’s, but I think Villa’s Ashley Westwood would be a good option, very underrated IMO, and has great passing abilities, plus he’s English.

• 17 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM

James

Very left field mate, I think Shelvey players that role well for Swansea.

• 18 JamesToon // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Shelvey wouldn’t be a bad choice either tbh

• 19 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Westwood not a bad player. Personally i dont rate shelvey but that means nowt :D

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

If tioti stays, it’s not the end of the world. But he is 28, so can’t see him bein here to long

• 21 Lost Plot // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Hope our confidence and fittness at the back can hold Villa out of the game. We should see a hefty amount of goal scoring opportunities from our guys

Hopefully in the past few days they have learned where goal is .. Id like to see Perez & Aarons start BUT i know most of your feelings here are that its far too early for them :(

Whats real news on us actually pressing for Defenders .. or just us wishing?

• 22 dannitoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM

We went to villa park n won last season the week after they won 3-1 at arsenal.. they are a poor team and without benteke they shouldn’t cause us much trouble

• 23 Lost Plot // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Danitoon: That was a class match with the introduction of our newly found french foreign legion

We absolutley took them apart (new to the league and very cold winter night)

Villas run of magic soon frailed into a battle of relegation … Dont mind a repeat of that ;-)

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Tsunki
    Colo as a CDM wouldn’t be a bad idea, the problem is we desperately need the lad at the back unless we bring in a new CB!

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Shared my thoughts on Tiote but looks like they never got through :(

• 26 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Lost pot. I actually agree with Aaron starting, he always looks more dangerous when starting. It’s like the opposition defenders don’t expect him to be able to kick a ball. But Perez I think is better coming off the bench and making impact like he did against city

• 27 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I cant see both aarons and perez on the bench this time. Sdj will come in for obertan (i hope) and i suspect ferreyra will get his chance on the bench, at the expense of either aarons or perez.

• 28 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Unless Pardew goes for a 4-2 att-def split on the bench, and has maybe Mym and Haidara as the defensive subs (anita covers the RB spot. Colo or Mym can play as the dmf at a push, and socks will be on the wing anyway so he can come in there). This means ferry, perez, aarons and probably goofy on the bench as the attacking options. Cabella sdj and socks will play behind rivvy.

• 29 Lost Plot // Aug 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Perez was a massive game changer .. more so for City than us .. Shame the b’stards put their lives on keeping him off the ball .. couldnt argue with that .. City showed what it takes to earn an extra 200K a week

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM

If we don’t win any of our next three games and don’t bring in a forward in before deadline day ends will the fans be on pardews back.

• 31 deeps // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM

If tiote does leave we should be after Jordy Clasie from feyenord..available for just 5 million

• 32 G // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM

OT, we will have to agree to disagree here mate, I watch a fair bit of Spanish football too, and I know phyically they are in better shape than they were a decade ago, but most teams play lads that spend way too much time on the ball, and get bullied off it too easily for my liking. I would hardly class a meaningless pre season runout against Malaga as an example. You might as well give the movie Escape to Victory as an example on how to beat Germany. Anyway, its just an opinion that neither you nor I can prove, so we might as well just agree that both our meaningless opinions are worthless mate. Anyway, interesting debate mate, but got to go out now. Later.

• 33 toonincheek // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Tsunki –

I think Colo as DM would be a disaster.
    Can you see him chasing and harrying the way Tiote does?

• 34 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM

It’s still far to early for young Aarons…he struggled to me an impact against a LB playing at RB but defo one for the future. Perez showed more composure than Riviere but away from home we need some to hold the ball up and perez won’t do it so Riviere gets the nod for me.

In this fixture last season a certain banished player did the damage!! Let’s hope SDJ helps breach the gap bet midfield and striker.

on the Colo debate, I’d never play him as a holding midfielder but would consider him as a sweeper in a 3 man defence.

• 35 MassiveG // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I think we’ve all been a bit brainwashed by the Newcastle way of buying under 25s only – you can’t say Tiote’s 28 so time to sell…correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the footballer peak at 28-30? Yeah I’m sure I’ve heard that somewhere

• 36 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:28 PM

G

It wasn’t just basing it on that fact, it wasn’t long ago that ath bilbao smashed man utd in Europe….A team that finished in something like 7th taught the champions of England a footballing lesson, man utd went on to win the domestic league that year as well.

Size means nothing when you have clever technicians of a football that create triangles around you. If they get bullied then Silva and Mata wouldn’t stand a chance in this league but they see a pass before the ball even arrives to them, most of the Spanish lads do. Navas is another small player, Xavi, iniesta, David villa, Fabregas, size means nothing mate….bullying tactics don’t work they get passed around day and night.

look at young delfeueo who was on loan to Everton last season, class act. The likes of West ham wouldn’t stand a chance in the Spanish league with there brand of hoofball.

We won’t agree on this but there is a reason why all the best players at this moment seem to be heading to Spain. The Spanish league is the best league no doubt about it. We have a the 3rd best league but for entertainment it’s probably the best. That’s my view you obviously feel different…best barometer is results between clubs in Europe.

• 37 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I don’t see how colo could be a disaster in defensive mid. He’s got a good reading of the game, and he will have two central defenders behind him.
    For me the biggest worry about colo in central def is his lack of ariel ability. It’s not as big an issue in mid

• 38 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Massive G

Expectations have been lowered and now we openly accept players will be sold before they reach there prime. I think it’s 28-32 that players are at the peak of there powers…at least that’s what I read somewhere.

• 39 AndyNUFC // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Shadow Shearer, actually Colo I imagine to be near perfect in a back 3, sitting in front in a Pirlo way but having the reading to be able to organise the other defenders. Unfortunately though it doesn’t seem like we have the quality CB duo alongside to make this happen.

• 40 deeps // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM

If you’ve been paying attention today, then you’ll remember that we brought you an update on what was looking like an increasingly Cheick Tiote-less future at St James’ Park.

Handsome Pards has had his say on the Ivory Coast midfielder this afternoon though and made it perfectly clear he doesn’t want him to go anywhere.

“He’s just a great player, he’s just a top player,” said the Newcastle boss.

“Top players demand top fees if they are going to move, but at the moment, that isn’t the case.

“He is our player and we are looking forward to fitting him into the team.

“He is very much under contract with us and I am looking forward to seeing him running around in our fabulous new shirt for our fans because I love the way he plays, I love his mentality to the game and I look forward to seeing him this week, hopefully.”

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM

i take that as a maybe then.

• 42 lesh // Aug 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Deeps

Jordy Clasie … Classy Geordie?

• 43 deeps // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Lesh

Sounds good :D

• 44 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM

What’s the expectations for the weekend?

I’m expecting the same set up and tactics as Sunday as we are away from home.

The only difference being SDJ for Gouffran I’d expect.

I can’t see us going down there and taking the game to Villa more like sit back and break when we can. Villa can relally hurt our back four with the pace they have so we need to be wary of them on the counter.

All our lads had a taster on Sun so know what to expect. On paper a easier match but it never happens that way and this is still a tough match especially after they won and it’s their 1st game at home.

I hope we click, I’d like to say win but I think a score draw 1-1

• 45 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I wish Colocini would start reading the game in English!

Because whatever launguage he’s used for last few years isn’t working.

• 46 Ethiotoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Tiote’s departure is getting imminent.clasie is good player,had wonderful WC ,but I prefer shelvey,big,strong, determined, with accurate passing abilities.
    if cheick wants to move,now is the time,otherwise there will be another same old mistake letting key player go on the deadline day.exposing ourselves to another nightmare situation,,
    Time is nearing to say “chaw” to our hero..

• 47 cestriasteve // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM

OP, I’m sorry I have to disagree with you on Collo, I believe that he gets drawn out because of his mistrust of his fellow centre back, sure he gets caught out for out right pace but so do many centre backs, I thought he was good on Sunday.

I agree with you about The Villa, will be a hard game.

• 48 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Never been a fan of Colocini.

Can’t or won’t head the ball.
    He’s never had any pace and is just slow now. I think he’s always got muscled off the ball to easily. And yes at times he reads the game, but he nearly always makes the wrong decision and gets stranded through lack of pace or slow reaction.

If it is because he doesn’t trust his team mates he shouldn’t be captain!

He should be marshalling that defence he is th captain and most experienced premiership defender at the club, can’t wait for him to act like it.

IMO he’s a pity full centre back and a even worse captain.

• 49 martoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I’m pretty sure I remember we once played Colo in midfield due to injuries and I don’t think he was that good – I can’t remember the exact match.

• 50 NZGeordieviaAfrica // Aug 22, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Optimistic Prime @ 48 – I agree 100%

Nothing more to say!

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Aug 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I think it would be very unwise to sell Tiote so close to the window closing, who is his back up, we have Anita, but if Tiote goes then Anita becomes first choice with the out of favour Bigi as the main contender, then there is the Colback situation, as Goslings replacement on a free an excellent piece of business, as Tiotes replacement just plain unambitious.

previous post: Photos From The Liam Sweeney Funeral