The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I’m Never Confident In This Position At This Club

8:48 pm, Thursday, August 21st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 86 Comments

Alan Pardew wants to keep Cheick Tiote at Newcastle, but he also wanted to keep Andy Carroll and Yohan Cabaye at the club, until offers came in that matched owner Mike Ashley’s valuation of those players and they were sold rather quickly – whatever Alan thought.

cheick tiote man united 99

Cheick Tiote – in action last season

And the Newcastle manager is at least that much wiser this summer, and even said as much today when he was talking about wanting to keep Cheick Tiote at Newcastle:

“He’s just a great player, he’s just a top player. Top players demand top fees if they are going to move, but at the moment, that isn’t the case.¨

“He is our player and we are looking forward to fitting him into the team.¨ “He is very much under contract with us and I am looking forward to seeing him running around in our fabulous new shirt for our fans because I love the way he plays.¨

¨I love his mentality to the game and I look forward to seeing him this week, hopefully.” “I am never confident in this position at this football club because I have had the experience of Andy Carroll.”

Some of those words are meant for Tiote himself, who will miss Saturday’s Premier League game at Aston Villa because of his hamstring injury, and we suppose it’s possible he’s already played his last game for Newcastle if a significant bid does come in for him before September 2nd.

But if that happens we cannot help but think that it will again negatively impact team morale and team spirirt, and for once Mike Ashley should think of the squad at Newcastle rather than look at everything through the eyes of a banker – where money is all important.

What do you think?

Note: Paul Lawson is a NUFC season ticket holder living in Birmingham, and wonders if there are any other season ticket holders in the area, so they can share the car expenses to Newcastle – you can contact Paul at 07969296054.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Contracts · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

86 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Cant blame Pardew for being nervous in this case. He knows he has no say, and he knows its too late to replace him properly, and that it is unlikely the money will be spent on any position this window.

• 2 Ethiotoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM

That’s deeps earlier post …ED!

• 3 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Wow Mr T is off for 14 mill and now Roma in for Santon for 8 mill. that’s a cool 22 mill to reinvest back in to the squad before deadline day guys……Fill your boots lol

• 4 Ancientcoptic // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Sell him if the right money comes in.

Absolute top professional, but too 1 dimensional. He doesn’t score, EVER, doesn’t get assists – cannot play a through pass and gives the ball away with his long shots and getting caught in possession.

I do understand he is more of a holding midfielder, but there is no reason a holding midfielder cannot play a bit of football in to the bargain of being a bit of a bully.

We should be developing Abeid, you can tell from his composure and posture he has the makings of a classy midfielder.

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Jazzy

Do we really think it will be invested before the deadline. 9 in already, and we are still waiting for ashleys all too familiar Spanner in the works!

• 6 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

We should all be used to this scenario by now, even though you shouldn’t assume anything he’ll probably be gone soon enough :(

I would say it’ll be ok there’s plenty cover but because we have no style of play or identity as a team it’s hard to know.

But if I wa to assume 4 2 3 1 is the new set up I think Pardew would be more than happy to have Colback Anita Sissoko Raylor and a cpl others he can play there.

I wouldn’t sell him I never want to sell our better ones unless there’s a better option, which if there is we won’t see this window.

If he goes with the one open position I’d be hard pushed to decide between a CB or a 20goal CF.

He’ll go we’ll get……We tried!

• 7 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

125 peeps voted for us to be bottom three come end of season ??
    didn’t realise it was magic mushroom season !!

• 8 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Jazzyp

Santon really,
    hope so. Not a fan.

• 9 Novocastrian66 // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Very candid statement by Pardew, in fact brutally honest. Perhaps today’s funeral has made him reappraise his approach to all things Newcastle United.

• 10 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Markaccus

Evening matey
    Why not pal, There is nothing in this transfer window to say we wont. if Mr T is to leave us then I hope the board have a scenario where as we have a replacement on board before we let him go.
    14 mill I think would be an excellent bit of business so long as it does go back into the squad bud.
    Im sure if we were told when we sold cabs for 20 mill, That would buy us Cabella and SDJ And Perez then we would have all been happy with that deal. So if the sale of Tiote means we bring in say Remy and a commanding Centre half……I would be happy with that outcome

• 11 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Optimistic

Roma are eyeing a move for Newcastle United full-back Davide Santon.

The Portomaggiore born twenty-three-year-old joined the Magpies from Inter in August, 2011 for a reported fee of €6.6 million signing a five-year contract and instantly became a fan favourite by declaring he’d never seen a Mackem in Milan, hinting that Newcastle’s fierce local rivals Sunderland had never qualified for any European competitions.

According to reports in Corriere della Sera, Roma are considering a move for Santon with Newcastle looking for a fee of close to €8 million for the services of talented full-back.

A potential deal for could be made easier as Santon’s agent is Claudio Vigorelli who in recent weeks has already brokered deals with the Giallorossi with Ashley Cole and Davide Astori joining the club.

The defender started his career at Ravenna before his joining Inter Primavera at the age of 14 and helped his side win the 2006-2007 Campionato Nazionale.

• 12 Ethiotoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

how is the selling of cheick & santon good news??

• 13 Markaccus // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Jazzy, evening…

You are right so far it has been a good positive window.

I just cant shake that worry :D

• 14 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Ethio

Who said it was ??

• 15 OneAlanShearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

If we sell santon and tiote I can’t see us replacing them. We still desperately need a cb and striker… can’t see that happening either. The final day will come and go.

• 16 OneAlanShearer // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

We started the window needing a cb and striker. ..we haven’t sorted that for me. Real risk of relegation. Teams live and die by strikers and a good spine. We are missing both. Papered over the cracks.

• 17 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Jazzyp

Wouldn’t be fussed if Santon left not a great deal to choose between him Dumnet or Haidra.

I like your optimism I’m just assuming on previous windows but would love to be wrong.

I didn’t expect 9 so there’s no way I’m expecting anymore.

• 18 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Markaccus

Yeah mate I know what your saying. Deep down I always have worries that this transfer window will be ruined by the sure fire sale of some of our top players.
    I personally think this as of yet has been a positive window, but like most can see we need an out and out forward.
    Riviere although looked eager and full of running sunday, and also looked like he possess a lot of strength by shrugging off opponents, Lacked composure when given a chance to shoot and to me looked like he panicked.

• 19 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Here’s hoping Ballotelli does a Remy and signs for us, hope fat mike got Xbox lessons ;)

• 20 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Optimistic

We all have our traits my friend in life, mine is to always try and look for the positives in life when maybe there not there lol.
    I to never thought this window would be as good as it has been as of yet, Lets hope that is not wiped out in the last few days of this window as previous transfer windows eh !!

Agree on the Santon situation. Although Mourinho rates the lad, I don’t see how he has improved in the slightest since his arrival. I would welcome Hadaira to be given a big chance this season to shine as I thought pre season he looked good and composed at the back

• 21 Ethiotoon // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

U seem like jazzy…!

• 22 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce Sources reporting an opening #NUFC bid for Virgil Van Dijk of around £5m has been quickly rebuffed by #Celtic

• 23 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Ethio

Sorry mate I can only see where I said 14 mill for Mr T is an excellent piece of business so long as it is reinvested back into the squad.

Hadaira should be the future left back as every game I see santon play at SJP he gets destroyed down the flanks and for me has no positional sense

• 24 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Hatem Ben Arfa – where to start? The Frenchman is without doubt one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen in Black and White. The sense of excitement when he received the ball on either flank and looked to drive at defenders. His ability to spot a pass, or indeed use his yard of pace to burst clear of a couple of challenges and leave his markers for dead. Those were the good days under Hatem Ben Arfa. 2014 hasn’t been as enjoyable as the 27 year-old is currently frozen out of the first team with the Newcastle hierarchy looking to offload him at the nearest opportunity. Offers for his services have arrived from Russia and beyond, but Ben Arfa has turned down all approaches citing a desire to stay on Tyneside and hopefully regain a starting role if manager Alan Pardew is finally shown the door.

Mr. Pardew being sacked is an entirely different matter though, and probably wishful thinking on Ben Arfa’s part. Whatever way you look at, it paints a sad picture for an undoubtedly talented footballer that could have reached the very top-level of his profession with the right attitude.

Few Newcastle fans will forget some of his goals in a Newcastle jersey. Superb solo efforts against Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers spring to mind. His strike against Everton shortly after arriving was something special too.

Unfortunately, NUFC supporters were also all too familiar with a Ben Arfa that lost the ball and failed to chase back leaving his other teammates under pressure – particularly Mathieu Debuchy. When he arrived on Tyneside we knew that there could be issues with his personality, but even so – one has to wonder what exactly he has done to merit such poor treatment for Alan Pardew?

Apparently there was a confrontation between Pardew and Ben Arfa after their defeat to Southampton at Saint Mary’s (pictured above), and from a quick mind-scan, I don’t think Ben Arfa appeared in a Toon shirt after that fixture.

He (Benny) currently lines-out for the reserves and has been banned from everything first team orientated. The club obviously want to move him on, but with two offers rejected on the midfielders behalf, what actually happens if he doesn’t leave between now and September 1st?

Does he continue to train with the development squad? Has too much damage been done to potentially work his way into the first team setup again? Is he waiting in hope that Pardew sees the door and can impress the new manager? Or will he – worst case scenario – see out his contract and move abroad on a free transfer?

He has his faults no doubt, but he is an exceptional talent – his demise is a sorry story to all parties concerned, and Alan Pardew has a certain amount of blame to shoulder for the debacle.

Will we ever see him at lighting up St. James’ Park again? Who knows, but I’m interested to see what happens if he is still at Newcastle after this transfer window…

• 25 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Jazzy

I agree on Santon…whether he isn’t very good or he doesn’t suit the system we play (people see it differently) it’s pointless keeping him as it doesn’t work, seems best for all to let him move on as we have 2 other left backs.

I’d like to keep tiote, I think his passing is much better, never going to be a cabaye but can do he simple things better now and seems to get caught less in possession (although a still a small problem).

Also why do people complain we haven’t bought a striker….we have perez and Ferreyra as well as siem de jong who can play there if needs must.

Granted they aren’t proven like remy but they may well step up.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Chucky seems a very good finisher from what I have seen since he signed.

• 27 Jinky Jim // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

that means he is sold !!!!

• 28 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Transfer sage

For whatever reason whether it be down to the system we play of Santon’s footballing qualities, We just simply cannot find a suitable position on the pitch to employ him in. We have tried the guy at left back….at right back…..through the middle and nothing ever seams to come to fruition.

like I say I have more faith in Hadaira as he has shown more promise in the few games he has played than Santon has in the chances he has been given

• 29 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Jazzyp

I’d rather see H there than Santon, I’m not a fan but the way he jogs back after losing the ball clouds over any good aspects in his game.

But to be honest there’s nothing I like about him as a LB.

I hope if Tiote does go it’s not a excuse if we don’t perform as we’ve been playing for a month without him, so plenty time to adapt.

I like Anita, I’d also like to see Sissoko play a more central role. I always see options in our squad but there not really taken advantage of.

Where Catchy says he wants us to lose so Pardews found out it’s just his way of putting across how strongly he feels.

I was thinking of that today and have to admit I’ve sorta hoped certain players would get banned or pick up a injury just so we’d try something different or someone different.

Which isn’t very gentlemanly lol and not much different from Catchy saying he hopes we loose.

So what I’m saying is if it takes Tiote to leave to get Sissoko in the middle I’d go for it, even though I like Tiote I think Sissoko could be much much better.

• 30 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Transfer

Did you see Chucky play against Bolton?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

JazzyP,
    Where to start on HBA, you don’t simple, the thread is not about him and he’s been done to death.
    On Tiote, I heard Pardews interview and it saddens me that the club can’t genuinely say that an important player just isn’t for sale, the players must all know that they’re are up for grabs and must be happy with that and therefore very willing to leave if an offer comes in, I don’t know what effect this has on commitment to the club. It should not surprise anyone if a big player gets sold so that Mikey can boast of another window in the black to his pals.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Sorry another calander year.

• 33 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

OP

i didn’t….how did he do?

• 34 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Optimistic

I respect catchy’s views on Nufc and some points he makes are very valid. But I am afraid I am one of many onhere that find him Antagonistic at best and will leave it there.

Has Tiote himself actually come out and said he wants to leave mate ??. Because the last time I heard him speak he loved the club and wanted to spend the rest of career here. Whereas Debs and Cabs openly expressed their desire to leave the club

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM

TS,
    The reason we’re worried about a ST despite three being brought in, is that for every Remy and Bony there is a LDJ and an Altidore.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM

jail

True, but until we see how they settle into the team we have no idea if they will be good or bad for us.

• 37 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I was just about to let guys know that unfortunately Gazza is back in hospital…….but this thread is not about him so sorry to all but lips sealed !!

• 38 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM

jazzy

This is the article…he looks in such a bad way.

Unfortunately I think he is beyond help, he doesn’t seem to be able to take the help given and until he can nothing will happen…such a tragic story of how he has lost control of his life.

• 39 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Transfer sage

I have many memories of this fallen talent…Some good, Some bad. The heartbreaks he suffered with England. The individual brilliance against Scotland in the euro’s was it with the infamous water bottle lol.

Then you have his Wife beating dark side and the drugs and alcohol that still haunt him now. As you say mate I think this will eventually lead to his death, and what a sad occasion that will be !!

• 40 ITUNDERASHELL // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Tiote wants to leave and if Ashley gets the cash he will be gone.
    We need goals and guile from midfield which is why l think they want grenier, and it makes sense if it means jonk can play in support of main striker.
    We have needed to add quality to the centre of defence for years hence the forrest boy being groomed back in nottingham.
    Ashley wants the deadwood shifted before he will reinvest thet money but expect him to buy with tiote money.
    He has a set ceiling on overall squad salary.

• 41 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Jazzyp

As JFA says they all must know there for sale. I think I read awhile ago his agents where on the hunt for a new club.

But he played in a cpl of the early pre season or was involved then he just dissapered, it took a cpl weeks for anyone to say where he was.

It’s not hard to put 2 n 2 together and come up with 5 with thease jokers, so who knows but this is generally what happens so I wouldn’t be surprised.

The fact that this is what the majority of fans have come to expect or this is the way the clubs run is sad.

I’m no accountant but there’s gotta be £30 40 million at least sitting in a account somewhere! We whee in profit last year of £3 to 6 million depending who you beleive and it’s estimated £35 million extra from the tv and we spend what we sell.

That sucks

• 42 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM

OP
    Sorry but Disagree massively about Sissoko in the middle
    He just doesn’t look cut out for it, poor close control/touch and pretty poor passing tbh
    Think he needs the wide role to give him the time and space to run at the opponents just don’t think he looks comfortable centrally in the PL

• 43 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Jazzy

Very true, I think he will struggle to get over this, he has more problems than addiction, he suffers from some mental health problems also…such a sad case.

I remember a story he told where he was leaving us and joining spurs….Alex Ferguson rang him and wanted him to go to man utd, he was set to meet with them then spurs rang him up, told he they would provide a new home for his parents and other little touches like that which persuaded him to move down there.

It always made me wonder whether the stewardship of Sir Alex and the man utd staff might have managed to keep him on the right road and helped deal with more of his problems…..shame we will never know.

• 44 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

tads

Agree on sissoko but I remeber his debut and the delicate through ball he played for cisse to score at villa….it was very good.

Where did he play for france in the world cup? I can’t remember.

• 45 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew believes they could still add to the nine signings they have made this summer, but is confident he will not lose midfielder Cheick Tiote to pay for them.

Tiote has been linked with a move to both Arsenal and Locomotiv Moscow in recent days and Pardew confirmed they had rejected a “couple of derisory bids” for the Ivory Coast international that were “way short” of their £14million valuation.

Significantly, Tiote – unlike Yohan Cabaye 12 months ago, who went on strike when a bid from Arsenal was rejected – has not expressed a desire to leave.

“I’m confident Cheick will still be here next month,” said Pardew, who denied reports Newcastle are interested in Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk. “We’ve not really entertained any serious thought of him leaving. I’ve had no indication from him that he wants to go.”

Despite those assurances, Pardew did admit he was worried by the rash of “inflated fees” being paid for players as deadline day approaches.

Having learnt from the £35million sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January 2011 after he had promised the striker would not be sold, Pardew added: “There is a contingency plan in place, you have to be on your toes all the time, but I’m as confident as I can be with any player that he will stay.”

Newcastle have gone some way to answering their critics with a bold approach to recruitment in this window, although it is worth pointing out the majority of the money used has come from the sale of Cabaye to Paris Saint Germain for £19million in January and the departure of Mathieu Debuchy to Arsenal for £12million last month.

The renovations were sorely needed. Newcastle displayed relegation form in the second half of last season, losing 15 out of their 21 games after Christmas.

Newcastle are interested in Manchester City defender Micah Richards, as well as QPR striker Loic Remy and Pardew confirmed they still have targets they would like to bring in.

“Maybe we will bring another one or two in,” he said. “We’ve got our finger on the pulse of the market and if something comes our way, and we felt it was good enough and financially viable, we’d do it.”

• 46 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Jazzy/Sage
    All the time in the world for Gazza the footballer
    But sadly no time for Gazza the man, every second chance he’s ever been given he’s turned round and p1ssed it away

• 47 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Sage
    Depends who you talk too!
    Lots say he played through the middle but he always seemed to end up drifting wide when i saw him
    His through balls are great, but pretty useless in the deep lying role, his short passing is terrible imho

• 48 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Transfer

I understand what your saying about giving them a chance to settle but my main worry is none of them have come here with a great goal scoring record anyway.
    Chuckys is hot and cold
    Rivierre hasn’t scored consistently
    Perez looks canny but a bairn and the least expirienced.
    Cisse hopefully will come good and if employed right will.

It’s ifs and buts but I am worried, I am with the CB position too.

• 49 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Optimistic

Agree mate we all know the money is there from the revenue that Nufc generate, and all we have done is live off the income over expenditure. But that is Ashley all over pal. And unless he surprises us all and splurges another 20 mill up to transfer dead line day…Then im afraid nothing will have changed bud.

• 50 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM

tads

I agree his basic passing and control is lacking, he does need to work on that…it can be resolved but he needs to work hard on improving in that role.

As for Gazza, I still have a lot of time for the man, he needs help. He suffers from mental health problems and addiction…it’s not that easy to turn things around, especially when it has been going on for so long.

But at he same time there is little you can do (i’m not a professional so may be wrong) when he can’t take the help…many people like him across the country though, there’s only so much you can do.

• 51 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

OP

True, we are missing 21 goals from remy and cabaye…i’m confident those strikers couple with remy and de jong will make up for those lack of goals.

I may be being too optimistic here, but just think we will be fine.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be looking for more players….would personally love benteke and daniel agger (available for loan and sale) but can’t see it happening.

Benteke is the closest thing to diego costa, quite possibly as good in my opinion, think he would allow all our creative players a good outlet as well as somebody to feed off.

• 52 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

• 53 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Sage
    Sadly I’ve yet to see the coaching staff implement a successful training programme for any player so not holding my breath!

On Gazza, we’ll agree to disagree before the mood turns when others turn up
    Have had personal dealings with a family member in a similar position, you have to want the help to accept it…

• 54 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

tads

Ok, will agree to leave it just think that he has more problems than addiction (mental health issues as people who know him have said) so it’s difficult……also adding that often people want the help just can’t accept it. (Not trying to dismiss your experience, so please don’t think that).

As for coaching, yeh it’s a problem but surely the player can take some responsibility and stay for extra sessions, if the coaches don’t work seek help from fellow players.

• 55 jazzyp // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM

must admit never seen the balotelli deal coming. Hopefully that clears the way for Bony to Nufc eh lads lol. Sdj just behind with Cabella weaving his trickery…….Jesus I am beginning to sound like Kets !!

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Shame about Gazza like, but you can’t help the guy if he doesn’t want to help himself at the end of the day .

• 57 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Tads

My reason for not wanting him on the wing is because of his not very good close control ;)

I want him in the middle because he’s big and strong and is mobile enough to get around and give cover whilst also giving us the advantage of him running from deep. And if we do get caught out from free kicks or corners I’d much rather have the speed and strength of Sissoko as the last man on centre circle than Anita Tiote Colback or any of our defenders.

• 58 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I am still seriously worried about us not bringing in a top striker this window, and think we definitely need a new CB as well .

We have had a great window (for once) , but in the last two season’s Ba & Remy effectively kept us in the league, and gambling on Rivierre or Cisse finding his shooting boots is madness .

• 59 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Optimistic
    But unlike our other wide men he doesn’t need great control, he’s old fashioned in the sense he will happily just knock the ball past the FB and put on the afterburners a traditional 7
    Just don’t think he has the concentration to operate as that protection for the back 4, if Tiote goes I’d definitely want a replacement bought in

Sage
    True they should but at a top flight club shouldn’t really be the case
    Still think we’ll struggle all the while carver etc are the trainers

• 60 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Sissoko does great with his driving runs forward, but it’s when he gets to the final third which lets him down. His crosses aren’t good.

He had a few assists last year I think, but I maintain, I’m not impressed with his delivery at all. He sometimes gets decent balls in, but for the amount of minutes he gets, many are poor though.

He’s ‘the Transporter’ I like to call him. Not a winger. After he’s transported the ball and we get to the final third, that’s when he should be releasing it to the trickier players like Hatem, Siem or Cabella. To shoot of provide the crucial pass.

• 61 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM

tads

I don’t know…I think players have too much done for them, all the best players take extra time perfecting their craft, seeking the help themselves (even if it does come from coaches) to make sure they get it right.

Look at ronaldo, the guy used to do extra sessions of dribbling with ankle weights to improve his control/ability….beckham took so much extra time taking free kicks over and over.

I think it’s good to have a proper coach who can identify a problem and try to help put it right, but that doesn’t mean a player shouldn’t take control of his own career.

• 62 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Transfer/jazzyp

I’d happily take Benteke and Agger.
    As we’ve said it’s all down to the purse strings.

The saddest thing for me this window was when Everton splashed £28milluon on Lukaku!

Wasn’t long ago we where supposed to be on the same level as Everton, really it’s a sad reminder we have no ambition.

The window was decent not great and unless we get a decent CB and CF I’d be diss appointed. We may get by but I’m sick of getting by, I’m not asking for much.

Just seems we’re always left just that little bit short and it boils my pi55

• 63 Transfer Sage // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM

OP

I rate benteke higher than lukaku, think he brings a lot more to the team, but that’s personal preference.

I’d like to see us gamble on benteke, had a mixed season last year and now injured so maybe try and cash in whilst villa are even less ambitious than we are…could be worth a punt even at 15mil.

• 64 Average_Contents // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Santon out till mid November apparently

• 65 Sazzer // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Lyon manager Hubert Fournier has announced that Clement Grenier will likely need an operation to deal with an ongoing groin problem. #OL

• 66 Belfast // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM

He’s basically offski and won’t be seen in a Newcastle shirt again. Unless of course they can’t sell him.

I bet he’s not even injured.

• 67 Sazzer // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Sky Italia: AS Monaco are in advanced negotiations with Atletico Madrid for defender Toby Alderweireld. Loan deal. #ASM #Atleti

• 68 Sazzer // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Marseille have made a €5m offer for Benjamin Stambouli. Still behind Swansea and Fiorentina.

• 69 beermonkey // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM

sazzer

the price just dropped a bit more then

we still wont buy him though

• 70 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM

hold on, now people want Santon gone????????

if he goes we only have 1 RB ( Janmaat ) so if he gets injured we are f@cked

from what I seen with Santon on the right he was superb, this is his natural position and should challenge Janmaat for this place.

and please don’t say we have Raylor to fill in the RB role ffs he’s been out for 2 seasons and truth be told he wasn’t really that good tbh and should be moved on to an lower league club

• 71 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM

we have satko

• 72 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM

three @ the back

• 73 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Transfer

Is there a club less ambitious than ours?

Villas owners want to sell ours wants us average.

• 74 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM

scarbro town

• 75 beermonkey // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:30 PM

the truth will

satka is a centre back that has played a little at right back but I wouldn’t mind him playing there as a way of introducing him into the team

• 76 optimistic prime // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Transfer

I’d say the Benteke gamble would be to much for Ashley but if it dis id be happy ;)

• 77 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM

pardews too scared to work hard at invention

• 78 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I’m a fan of Santon, although he has some elements to his game which he needs to improve upon, but which player doesn’t? He’s still relatively young as well.

• 79 toon22 // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Hope we get Oldham in one of the cups,lets see Mr Fats explain away the conflict of interests.
    I also hope we actually get into Europe and have to play Rangers.
    Another simple explanation there again.

He thinks he can ride ruff shot over the rules and milk it for all he can,myself i hope he ends up in court for mach fixing as its the reason he dont want Europe or any kind of cup run.

• 80 the truth will out // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM

toon22 he will pay off someone and make a killing at the bookies

• 81 g.s.tooner // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

g.s.tooner,

You would go and buy Grenier only to put him on the bench? That’s ridiculously amusing. And the fact that you would get Grenier and rid Tiote tells me your tactical knowledge and awareness. Perhaps that’s why you’re still playing FM. You do realise that in your lineup you actually only has one competent defensive midfielder in Anita? And you can only name seven subs not nine!

OMG, where’s Colback?!

In regards to this post by phoonk.

First of all yes I would put the 23 year old unproven player on the bench in place of our older play maker who is being groomed to be our future captain. He would be brought in because he would provide not only depth but quality from the bench.

He could be used in cup games so we put out a competitive team for a change, and just in case our injury prone playmaker (De Jong in case you dont know his history at Ajax) remains injury prone, he would be used as cover.

I’m assuming following your derision at my tactical know how you are aware that different teams are selected each week and players can get injured at any point hence why you need players on the bench (preferrably good ones) to fill their place.

Secondly if you read my post properly it says ‘subs to choose from’, i.e you can choose any of these players to be subs. Dick.

Thirdly, yes well done you spotted that I missed a player out of our team line up. I bet you were really good at playing spot the different when you were younger. In regards to only having one defensive midfieler if you had read my post properly you would see that I said that Sissoko should be turned into a midfield power house. I dont believe he is good enough to be an attacking midfielder, but I think he could be a rock in front of our back four. And with Colback as you so helpfully pointed out, and Anita that would be 3 defensive mid players.

Finally I dont know who you are, I’ve never interacted with you before, so why you think it’s ok to send a very rude and unnecessary message to me for voicing my opinion is beyond me. I can only imagine you are a very sad, boring, unpleasant individual, and I thank my lucky stars that I never had to interact with you in person.

However if you are going to continue doing acting in this fashion, a word of advice. Read your post before you send it.

“And the fact that you would get Grenier and rid Tiote tells me your tactical knowledge and awareness.” makes no sense. What are you trying to say? Use your big boy words next time or you’ll sound stupid and ignorant again.

Dont pretend you know me, I havent played Football Manager since 2003.

• 82 Average_Contents // Aug 21, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Belfast

Funny you should say that as my sauce told me he….never mind ;-)

A quote from parsnip I find a little strange. You’ve already told us he’s injured in the first section then say he’s genuinely injured, as if we need assurances he’s actually injured! Why? Could it be your subconscious letting things slip parsnip? I’m going to have to watch the video now you twat! I’ll see if your lying I’m good at facial expressions and movements….can’t kid a Kidder you sly kunt ;-)

Anyway the quote lol

“He’s a player who has been terrific for us. The injury has heaped speculation on him.

“He’s genuinely injured, but he’s running this week so that’s better news, and he’ll be out on the training ground next week.”

• 83 Average_Contents // Aug 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Either that or I’m one paranoid fcuker! I’m going for the former….it’s all your fault parsnip you massive cocknosed cretin ;-)

• 84 toon22 // Aug 22, 2014 at 12:03 AM

For me our stated intention of non competitiveness is nothing more than match fixing.
    We intend to not win those games.
    Why is obvious as our illustrious owner has his sticky fingers in lots of cash cow clubs.

Exactly how is that not a conflict of interests and exactly how are we going to play against the clubs he has a major interest in?
    The result will be judged on what will be financially beneficial to SD and not who is the better team.

Exactly what do the FA/FIFA or whoever think about the growing empire of our sad fat leach?

• 85 toon22 // Aug 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Exactly what will Oldham do in the cups this year?

Will Rangers be the Europe club as its where the money is in Scotland?

How many clubs do you think MA will have a major say in before the FA gives a shit?

• 86 expatmag // Aug 22, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Looking at the squad, we do not appear to be stronger than last season. If Ashley sells Tiote, we will be weaker.

Since the beginning of last season, we gave lost:

Cabaye, Debuchy, Remy, Marvesux, Ameobi, Gosling and LDJ. Some of our youngsters have also left in Tavernier, Amalifitano, Newton and Richardson. We have also loaned out Campbell, Dawson and Lascelles. That is a total of 14 players out for a total of approximately 33 million pounds. There will also be significant salary savings too.

There has been 9 incoming players including Cabella, SDJ, Riviere, Ferrerya, Colback, Janmaat, Perez, Dawson and Lascelles at a cost of approximately 35 million pounds. Outgoing salary costs have more than likely been offset against incoming salary costs plus signing on fees and agents commission. Factor on the estimated income from the Forster sell on fee between Celtic and Southampton of 2.5 million pounds and it would appear the club has virtually even between expenditure and income this summer.

If Ashley sells Tiote and doesnt replace him, he will have made a significant profit on deals thus summer. I dont expect Santon to leave this window as he is apparently out till November.

Furthermore, the squad is further weakened by the loss of HBA and Jonas from last season although Ashley would probably point to the return of Abeid, Vuckic and Raylor to the squad from loan deals and injury as assets which would of course be a mistake.

previous post: Dutch Striker Fit – Midfielder For Sale At Right Price

next post: Santon Out Three Months – What’s Happened To This Other Player?