Pardew – I’m Never Confident In This Position At This Club

Alan Pardew wants to keep Cheick Tiote at Newcastle, but he also wanted to keep Andy Carroll and Yohan Cabaye at the club, until offers came in that matched owner Mike Ashley’s valuation of those players and they were sold rather quickly – whatever Alan thought.

cheick tiote man united 99

Cheick Tiote – in action last season

And the Newcastle manager is at least that much wiser this summer, and even said as much today when he was talking about wanting to keep Cheick Tiote at Newcastle:

“He’s just a great player, he’s just a top player. Top players demand top fees if they are going to move, but at the moment, that isn’t the case.¨

“He is our player and we are looking forward to fitting him into the team.¨ “He is very much under contract with us and I am looking forward to seeing him running around in our fabulous new shirt for our fans because I love the way he plays.¨

¨I love his mentality to the game and I look forward to seeing him this week, hopefully.” “I am never confident in this position at this football club because I have had the experience of Andy Carroll.”

Some of those words are meant for Tiote himself, who will miss Saturday’s Premier League game at Aston Villa because of his hamstring injury, and we suppose it’s possible he’s already played his last game for Newcastle if a significant bid does come in for him before September 2nd.

But if that happens we cannot help but think that it will again negatively impact team morale and team spirirt, and for once Mike Ashley should think of the squad at Newcastle rather than look at everything through the eyes of a banker – where money is all important.

What do you think?

Note: Paul Lawson is a NUFC season ticket holder living in Birmingham, and wonders if there are any other season ticket holders in the area, so they can share the car expenses to Newcastle – you can contact Paul at 07969296054.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Markaccus

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Cant blame Pardew for being nervous in this case. He knows he has no say, and he knows its too late to replace him properly, and that it is unlikely the money will be spent on any position this window.

• Ethiotoon

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM

That’s deeps earlier post …ED!

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Wow Mr T is off for 14 mill and now Roma in for Santon for 8 mill. that’s a cool 22 mill to reinvest back in to the squad before deadline day guys……Fill your boots lol

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Sell him if the right money comes in.

Absolute top professional, but too 1 dimensional. He doesn’t score, EVER, doesn’t get assists – cannot play a through pass and gives the ball away with his long shots and getting caught in possession.

I do understand he is more of a holding midfielder, but there is no reason a holding midfielder cannot play a bit of football in to the bargain of being a bit of a bully.

We should be developing Abeid, you can tell from his composure and posture he has the makings of a classy midfielder.

• Markaccus

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Jazzy

Do we really think it will be invested before the deadline. 9 in already, and we are still waiting for ashleys all too familiar Spanner in the works!

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

We should all be used to this scenario by now, even though you shouldn’t assume anything he’ll probably be gone soon enough 🙁

I would say it’ll be ok there’s plenty cover but because we have no style of play or identity as a team it’s hard to know.

But if I wa to assume 4 2 3 1 is the new set up I think Pardew would be more than happy to have Colback Anita Sissoko Raylor and a cpl others he can play there.

I wouldn’t sell him I never want to sell our better ones unless there’s a better option, which if there is we won’t see this window.

If he goes with the one open position I’d be hard pushed to decide between a CB or a 20goal CF.

He’ll go we’ll get……We tried!

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

125 peeps voted for us to be bottom three come end of season ??
    didn’t realise it was magic mushroom season !!

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Jazzyp

Santon really,
    hope so. Not a fan.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Very candid statement by Pardew, in fact brutally honest. Perhaps today’s funeral has made him reappraise his approach to all things Newcastle United.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Markaccus

Evening matey
    Why not pal, There is nothing in this transfer window to say we wont. if Mr T is to leave us then I hope the board have a scenario where as we have a replacement on board before we let him go.
    14 mill I think would be an excellent bit of business so long as it does go back into the squad bud.
    Im sure if we were told when we sold cabs for 20 mill, That would buy us Cabella and SDJ And Perez then we would have all been happy with that deal. So if the sale of Tiote means we bring in say Remy and a commanding Centre half……I would be happy with that outcome

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Optimistic

Roma are eyeing a move for Newcastle United full-back Davide Santon.

The Portomaggiore born twenty-three-year-old joined the Magpies from Inter in August, 2011 for a reported fee of €6.6 million signing a five-year contract and instantly became a fan favourite by declaring he’d never seen a Mackem in Milan, hinting that Newcastle’s fierce local rivals Sunderland had never qualified for any European competitions.

According to reports in Corriere della Sera, Roma are considering a move for Santon with Newcastle looking for a fee of close to €8 million for the services of talented full-back.

A potential deal for could be made easier as Santon’s agent is Claudio Vigorelli who in recent weeks has already brokered deals with the Giallorossi with Ashley Cole and Davide Astori joining the club.

The defender started his career at Ravenna before his joining Inter Primavera at the age of 14 and helped his side win the 2006-2007 Campionato Nazionale.

• Ethiotoon

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

how is the selling of cheick & santon good news??

• Markaccus

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Jazzy, evening…

You are right so far it has been a good positive window.

I just cant shake that worry 😀

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Ethio

Who said it was ??

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

If we sell santon and tiote I can’t see us replacing them. We still desperately need a cb and striker… can’t see that happening either. The final day will come and go.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

We started the window needing a cb and striker. ..we haven’t sorted that for me. Real risk of relegation. Teams live and die by strikers and a good spine. We are missing both. Papered over the cracks.

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Jazzyp

Wouldn’t be fussed if Santon left not a great deal to choose between him Dumnet or Haidra.

I like your optimism I’m just assuming on previous windows but would love to be wrong.

I didn’t expect 9 so there’s no way I’m expecting anymore.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Markaccus

Yeah mate I know what your saying. Deep down I always have worries that this transfer window will be ruined by the sure fire sale of some of our top players.
    I personally think this as of yet has been a positive window, but like most can see we need an out and out forward.
    Riviere although looked eager and full of running sunday, and also looked like he possess a lot of strength by shrugging off opponents, Lacked composure when given a chance to shoot and to me looked like he panicked.

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Here’s hoping Ballotelli does a Remy and signs for us, hope fat mike got Xbox lessons 😉

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Optimistic

We all have our traits my friend in life, mine is to always try and look for the positives in life when maybe there not there lol.
    I to never thought this window would be as good as it has been as of yet, Lets hope that is not wiped out in the last few days of this window as previous transfer windows eh !!

Agree on the Santon situation. Although Mourinho rates the lad, I don’t see how he has improved in the slightest since his arrival. I would welcome Hadaira to be given a big chance this season to shine as I thought pre season he looked good and composed at the back

• Ethiotoon

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

U seem like jazzy…!

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce Sources reporting an opening #NUFC bid for Virgil Van Dijk of around £5m has been quickly rebuffed by #Celtic

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Ethio

Sorry mate I can only see where I said 14 mill for Mr T is an excellent piece of business so long as it is reinvested back into the squad.

Hadaira should be the future left back as every game I see santon play at SJP he gets destroyed down the flanks and for me has no positional sense

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Hatem Ben Arfa – where to start? The Frenchman is without doubt one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen in Black and White. The sense of excitement when he received the ball on either flank and looked to drive at defenders. His ability to spot a pass, or indeed use his yard of pace to burst clear of a couple of challenges and leave his markers for dead. Those were the good days under Hatem Ben Arfa. 2014 hasn’t been as enjoyable as the 27 year-old is currently frozen out of the first team with the Newcastle hierarchy looking to offload him at the nearest opportunity. Offers for his services have arrived from Russia and beyond, but Ben Arfa has turned down all approaches citing a desire to stay on Tyneside and hopefully regain a starting role if manager Alan Pardew is finally shown the door.

Mr. Pardew being sacked is an entirely different matter though, and probably wishful thinking on Ben Arfa’s part. Whatever way you look at, it paints a sad picture for an undoubtedly talented footballer that could have reached the very top-level of his profession with the right attitude.

Few Newcastle fans will forget some of his goals in a Newcastle jersey. Superb solo efforts against Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers spring to mind. His strike against Everton shortly after arriving was something special too.

Unfortunately, NUFC supporters were also all too familiar with a Ben Arfa that lost the ball and failed to chase back leaving his other teammates under pressure – particularly Mathieu Debuchy. When he arrived on Tyneside we knew that there could be issues with his personality, but even so – one has to wonder what exactly he has done to merit such poor treatment for Alan Pardew?

Apparently there was a confrontation between Pardew and Ben Arfa after their defeat to Southampton at Saint Mary’s (pictured above), and from a quick mind-scan, I don’t think Ben Arfa appeared in a Toon shirt after that fixture.

He (Benny) currently lines-out for the reserves and has been banned from everything first team orientated. The club obviously want to move him on, but with two offers rejected on the midfielders behalf, what actually happens if he doesn’t leave between now and September 1st?

Does he continue to train with the development squad? Has too much damage been done to potentially work his way into the first team setup again? Is he waiting in hope that Pardew sees the door and can impress the new manager? Or will he – worst case scenario – see out his contract and move abroad on a free transfer?

He has his faults no doubt, but he is an exceptional talent – his demise is a sorry story to all parties concerned, and Alan Pardew has a certain amount of blame to shoulder for the debacle.

Will we ever see him at lighting up St. James’ Park again? Who knows, but I’m interested to see what happens if he is still at Newcastle after this transfer window…

• Transfer Sage

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Jazzy

I agree on Santon…whether he isn’t very good or he doesn’t suit the system we play (people see it differently) it’s pointless keeping him as it doesn’t work, seems best for all to let him move on as we have 2 other left backs.

I’d like to keep tiote, I think his passing is much better, never going to be a cabaye but can do he simple things better now and seems to get caught less in possession (although a still a small problem).

Also why do people complain we haven’t bought a striker….we have perez and Ferreyra as well as siem de jong who can play there if needs must.

Granted they aren’t proven like remy but they may well step up.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Chucky seems a very good finisher from what I have seen since he signed.

• Jinky Jim

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

that means he is sold !!!!

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Transfer sage

For whatever reason whether it be down to the system we play of Santon’s footballing qualities, We just simply cannot find a suitable position on the pitch to employ him in. We have tried the guy at left back….at right back…..through the middle and nothing ever seams to come to fruition.

like I say I have more faith in Hadaira as he has shown more promise in the few games he has played than Santon has in the chances he has been given

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Jazzyp

I’d rather see H there than Santon, I’m not a fan but the way he jogs back after losing the ball clouds over any good aspects in his game.

But to be honest there’s nothing I like about him as a LB.

I hope if Tiote does go it’s not a excuse if we don’t perform as we’ve been playing for a month without him, so plenty time to adapt.

I like Anita, I’d also like to see Sissoko play a more central role. I always see options in our squad but there not really taken advantage of.

Where Catchy says he wants us to lose so Pardews found out it’s just his way of putting across how strongly he feels.

I was thinking of that today and have to admit I’ve sorta hoped certain players would get banned or pick up a injury just so we’d try something different or someone different.

Which isn’t very gentlemanly lol and not much different from Catchy saying he hopes we loose.

So what I’m saying is if it takes Tiote to leave to get Sissoko in the middle I’d go for it, even though I like Tiote I think Sissoko could be much much better.

• optimistic prime

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Transfer

Did you see Chucky play against Bolton?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

JazzyP,
    Where to start on HBA, you don’t simple, the thread is not about him and he’s been done to death.
    On Tiote, I heard Pardews interview and it saddens me that the club can’t genuinely say that an important player just isn’t for sale, the players must all know that they’re are up for grabs and must be happy with that and therefore very willing to leave if an offer comes in, I don’t know what effect this has on commitment to the club. It should not surprise anyone if a big player gets sold so that Mikey can boast of another window in the black to his pals.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Sorry another calander year.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

OP

i didn’t….how did he do?

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Optimistic

I respect catchy’s views on Nufc and some points he makes are very valid. But I am afraid I am one of many onhere that find him Antagonistic at best and will leave it there.

Has Tiote himself actually come out and said he wants to leave mate ??. Because the last time I heard him speak he loved the club and wanted to spend the rest of career here. Whereas Debs and Cabs openly expressed their desire to leave the club

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM

TS,
    The reason we’re worried about a ST despite three being brought in, is that for every Remy and Bony there is a LDJ and an Altidore.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM

jail

True, but until we see how they settle into the team we have no idea if they will be good or bad for us.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I was just about to let guys know that unfortunately Gazza is back in hospital…….but this thread is not about him so sorry to all but lips sealed !!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM

jazzy

This is the article…he looks in such a bad way.

Unfortunately I think he is beyond help, he doesn’t seem to be able to take the help given and until he can nothing will happen…such a tragic story of how he has lost control of his life.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Transfer sage

I have many memories of this fallen talent…Some good, Some bad. The heartbreaks he suffered with England. The individual brilliance against Scotland in the euro’s was it with the infamous water bottle lol.

Then you have his Wife beating dark side and the drugs and alcohol that still haunt him now. As you say mate I think this will eventually lead to his death, and what a sad occasion that will be !!

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Tiote wants to leave and if Ashley gets the cash he will be gone.
    We need goals and guile from midfield which is why l think they want grenier, and it makes sense if it means jonk can play in support of main striker.
    We have needed to add quality to the centre of defence for years hence the forrest boy being groomed back in nottingham.
    Ashley wants the deadwood shifted before he will reinvest thet money but expect him to buy with tiote money.
    He has a set ceiling on overall squad salary.