How Will Newcastle Fare Against Aston Villa?

aston villanufc emblem

Let us know how you thing Newcastle will fare at Aston Villa tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Aston Villa?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Paul Lawson is a NUFC season ticket holder living in Birmingham, and wonders if there are any other season ticket holders in the area, so they can share the car expenses to Newcastle – you can contact Paul at 07969296054.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM

My team would be…..

——————– Krul
    Janmaat – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Haidara
    ————— Tiote – Colback
    Sissoko ——- De Jong ——- Cabella
    ——————- Riviere

However, if Tiote is not fit, I would play the same formation, Sissoko in his role and Gouffran on the wing. Anita is far too lightweight…..

Dummett is awful, I hope Haidara gets a nod at some point, and as Villa are very much all about pace I think Mbiwa would be preferred over Williamson, however Pardew will go…..

————————- Krul
    Janmaat – Williamson – Coloccini – Dummett
    ————— Anita ——– Colback
    Sissoko ———- De Jong———— Cabella
    ———————- Riviere

Personally I think that looks awful in comparison to my team listed, despite only 2-3 players being different.

Anita is too lightweight…..
    Dummett is awful….
    Williamson is slow……

The defensive set up looks poor, how did we think we could even compete against City last week is laughable…. Especially without De Jong ontop of the above….

• martoon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Repost:
    Really I think the first eleven picks itself just a question of who is on the bench. Of course an adventurous manager would maybe play gouffran or even Aarons instead of Anita but not Pardew.

• Sliema

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Pawl

We did compete against City (the league champions) last week. So.

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I’m shocked at how many fans don’t understand the importance of a Tiote type of player. Yes he gets dispossessed at times but every player in the world does. He is unselfish and sacrifices himself for the team trying to put fires out and stopping the opposition attacks. Scoring goals and making probing passes isn’t his game and nor should it be. Certain individuals are getting carried away jack colback, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the type of results Tiote gets. Measure Tiote on tackles won and interceptions made, tracking midfielders…..as he probably would have done with Silva on Sunday had he been on the pitch.

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I wouldn’t start SDJ against villa, last thing we need is for him to pick up another injury. Bring him off the bench for last 30 mins, same team as Sunday but drop Dummett for Haidara.

• Ethiotoon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM

we will win 0-3,esp if we field ED’s starting eleven!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Firebug,
    Last season Tiote had his highest pass completion for us, 87.2% and made more key passes then he has ever made for us in one season. Of players who played more than 10 games he had the highest completion rate. (Saylor and Arma were better).

Sorry if it sounds like I was having a go at you mate, I’m not but people regularly say Tiote’s passing is poor when in actual fact it isn’t. Unadventurous, yes, but he isn’t in the team to create opportunities. He is there to win it and play the simple ball to begin a move by our side.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Our Toon,
    Here you go, Tiote made more tackles than any other NUFC player last season. Debuchy only made 11 less tackles, every other defender made less than half the number of tackles that Tiote made.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM

lil

Tiote has improved his passing a lot, as well as cutting our the daft turns on the edge of our box…not perfect but much better than he gets credit for.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Silema….

Losing 2-0 against a very below standard Man City team is not competing….

I thought we played well, but on second look we played…. alright…. and City were certainly vulnerable on the day.

They looked tired, and slow.

We competed against a half fit, not up to standard City team with a few reserve players on the field that day for them, and we still lost.

We hardly “competed” as we simply did not pose a credible threat over 90 minutes. 0 shots on goal is not a threat.

Although I would argue Perez shot was heading towards goal so that stat is inaccurate, however its the stat that will be in the history books.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Our Toon,
    He also made more interceptions than anyone except Debuchy.

This is starting to make Debuchy look a far bigger loss! If we lost Tiote as well that is our 2 players with the best defensive stats gone. Our defence was poor with them, imagine what it will be like without!

• dannitoon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Win 3-0

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Sage,
    He has always had good pass completion. Over a season never dropped below 83%. That is impressive when you consider how poor we have been.

I do agree he hangs onto it too long sometimes, but he is vital in that centre midfield as his tackling and interception figures demonstrate.

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

LG

That’s my point mate, if it wasn’t for Tiote we’d have conceded an extra 10+ goals. Ball winners are more important in my eyes than a Grenier. Makalele was probably the best ever in this position, he never got past the halfway line, rarely passed further than 5 yards but boy was he a very important cog in winning things for his teams.

These type of players are undervalued and underrated by fans, only when they leave does the penny finally drop. Why can’t we just say NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE.

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

————————- Krul
    Janmaat – Williamson – Coloccini – Haidara
    ————— Anita ——– Colback
    Sissoko ———- De Jong———— Cabella
    ———————- Riviere

Subs:Elliot Mbiwa ferrerya ayoze aarons obertan

When tiote and cisse returns against palace the subs bench will look very strong too 😀

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Pawl

Spot on mate regarding the citeh game, I’ve been saying that all week. I don’t understand how we can say we competed when we didn’t even test the keeper. Have expectations really been lowered that much?

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Team for palace

————————- Krul
    Janmaat – Williamson – Coloccini – Haidara
    ————— Tiote ——– Colback
    Sissoko ———- De Jong———— Cabella
    ———————- Riviere

Subs:Elliot Mbiwa ferrerya ayoze aarons Cisse anita

Looks strong indeed ::D

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Deeps

Where’s the cover for CM just in case Anita or Colback get injured. I’d drop obertan and put Abeid on the bench. Squid head is pants

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Our Toon,
    I think there comes a point where any player is for sale. But at least if you say not for sale at any price you ensure you get an excellent return, which you would hope would then be spent on replacing and strengthening. Obviously, we all know this not to be the case at NUFC.

His importance to us far outweighs the value any other club would put on him, but that isn’t what Ashley sees. A nice wedge of cash, maybe half spent on a new player. Tiote leaving would seriously weaken the squad.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Our Toon

Tiote is a good player, he is not a great one.

Give me 14m and I will find a better player in the same role….. I think he is very overhyped.

He also causes fires which you seem to forget, and before you argue that no stat will show him spinning around in a circle in his own half 2-3 times with a player around him before he passes the ball.

I think 14m is unrealistic for Tiote in all honest. 8-10m is all he is worth.

He really is not that great.

As for his tackling, a standard DM SHOULD have more tackles than a defender in todays game as his will have more opportunities to make tackles. A defender is not in the game for 90minutes in terms of having to tackle as the ball is not in your own half to do so for 90 minutes. Yet you would argue the majority of those 90 minutes is played in the centre of the pitch. It increases his chance to make those challenges…..

I think a more accurate comparison, although I have no idea of results would be Parker to Tiote during his time in black and white stripes.

I think my point is stats do not tell you everything.

If they did it would tell you he is a liability is almost certain to miss games via suspension throughout the season.

He is also missing when AFCN is on.

He is also injured alot.

And quite simply he does not offer anything going forward. Matic is a DM and the difference for a mere 8m extra is epic, he is 10x the player Tiote is.

If we sell Tiote for 14m we should be clapping our hands providing the money is re invested into another player.

As for Colback, he was excellent against City, but I also saw him against Schalke and Malaga when he was very average. Time will tell, but I do not think he will be an amazing player by any means.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Lilongwe,

It’s once injuries set in. It hurts the team and performances. I hate to see a starting player leave. We have seen it all before.

I wish i could stay awake longer but ut’s bedtime for me. Fingers crossed for today.

Howay the lads.

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Just added cabella to my starting XI in the fantasy league 😀

• Ethiotoon

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Haidara can’t get passed Dummett yet ,he may have good PS, but when he get the chance in EPL,he get panic and nervous,I don’t mind either start for the next game but for me santon my first choice when fit

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM

LG

I don’t mind selling him when he hits 30/31 he’ll still command a 12m fee minimum but in that time though we can find a suitable younger replacement and he can learn off tiote

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Anyone who can’t see what good Anita does for the team is damn moron. He buzzes about everywhere, keeps the ball moving and harries players. We need that, especially against lesser teams, to help control the midfield.

I’d like to see Abeid come on for De Jong later on in the game, give him a chance in an advanced role.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Ethio

I do not think anyone would contest that.

But if it came to Haidara or Dummett, I know who I would choose. Haidara all year long….

Its funny becuase I remember the hype Dummett got this time last year saying he will compete against Santon for a run in the team.

Wonder where all those bloggers are today, and wonder if they would openly admit to saying it and therefore being completely wrong.

I think the only praise I have given him was his ability to cross a ball, which now seems to have vanished.

Shame as he seemed to get a decent cross in full stride during his earlier appearances.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

pawl

how did we not compete with city? we had them at 1-0 until the last couple minutes and during the time it was 1-0 we had 3 good chances to score..perez, gouff and sissoko.

We weren’t dominant but we certainly competed.

0 shots on goal is poor, but we had chances where players should have scored, never mind even hitting the target.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Mbiwa and Colocinni together is an accident waiting to happen. Whilst by no means the best, Williamsons solidity is needed at the back. Mbiwa should be tried ahead of Colocinni though, he has more pace and strength.

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Qpr putting on a real good team on the attacking front of things..but if your back 3 is ferdinand dunne and caulker you would definitely fancy your chances of scoring a few 😀

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Dummett is a pretty good defender, he’s fast and strong. He also makes a decent tackle. His biggest weakness is that he’s useless on the ball, and very poor going forward. He never overlaps.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Geremi…

I must be a moron.

I think he is not a PL player. He would do well in the other top leagues, but quite simply he is too lightweight for the PL.

You argument would be Silva, or Modric were lightweight yet the gap in quality is the size of the grand canyon.

Silva and Modric not only do what Anita does, but better, they also do all the things he does not.

Score would be one prime example. His passing was suppose to be amazing, I remember a few on here motor mouthing how he was the next best thing, but his passing is ….. average.

He works hard for the team, but beyond that he does not do much. To be completely honest, I stand by original assessment of him, he would be a much better full/wing back.

If his passing is supposedly excellent he will get chances to cross the ball. As he works hard he will fit into the role well running up and down throughout 90 mins, and he is pacey in fairness. He also can supposedly tackle, which so far I cannot wholeheartedly say he does, but you need that trait as a defender so yea, a full back would be a more suited position for the little man.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Our Toon,
    I think that guy was meant to be Bigi, but for some reason lost his way last year, although it probably didn’t help playing him centre back on a number of occasions.

I wouldn’t sell him, but fully expect him to go. Funny how some people don’t rate him but Man U enquired when they were champions, Chelsea wanted him and now Arsenal do. Funny how all those cubs want/wanted an okay player.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Transfer Sage

We did ok against a very below their usual standard Man City team.

Yet still did not get a shot on goal.

If we call that a competing then we will struggle this year. Looking back at that match we should have won it as Man City were crap, we were not amazing.

Anyone thinking otherwise is blind and has their black and white specs on.

Take them off and see, our team is lacking fire power and is prone to massive problems in defense.

If we concede and do not score its a disaster waiting to happen, and that is exactly what happened against City.

I would argue if City played like that all season they wouldnt finish in the top 6 never mind top 4…..

A decent team would have won City on Sunday, and we lost. Not only did we lose, we lost without Joe Hart having to make 1 save….. Speaks volumes mate, speaks volumes.

I am normally positive, I was after the match. But hey I like to think I am realistic and if I am standing by that I think we will finish around 10th this year, and quite simply have an average season, as we not only have a average manager in charge, but an average team to go along with it.

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Villa have got a back four of

Hutton vlaar sendoros cissokho

Vlaar is the only danger in there..definitely fancy our chances of scoring a couple of goals

• londonderry toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM

this my team gk; krul
    rb;janmaat cb; willo cb;collo lb;haidara
    cm;colback cm;sissoko
    rw;cabella am;rivelle lw;goffy
    cf;chucky
    i wouldnt start de jong in case he breaks down he just needs 30 mins tomorrow like its a long season

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

LG

It’s funny how Arsenal want that “ok” player now. Bigi has disappointed me somewhat, burst onto the scene but has gone well back. I feel as though Abeid is the latest one we are trialling for that particular role and I don’t feel that’s his best role.

Pawl – no one will deny the 360 turns Tiote makes however he is one of the best DM in the league, who would you say is better than him (matic is 1)…you’d be hard pressed to find a suitable replacement.

• pawl250

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Lil

Man Utd bought Bellion doesnt make him a good player….

Arsenal bought Park Cho Young doesn’t make him a good player.

And I am sure Chelsea have bought a few duffers too….

Yet the difference being they actually bought them, unlike Tiote, they actually committed on these duffers.

Yet none of them actually bought Tiote, it was all paper talk as if they wanted him. They would have got him. Its as simple as that really.

Why have we lost Ba, Debuchy, Cabaye because better teams wanted them. Not because we wanted to sell them. The rule applies if a better team wanted Tiote, he would be gone also.

• beermonkey

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Lilongwe

is that right about bigi

I had high hopes for the lad after his first season here
    I know he was offered to go out onloan last season then he got injured and suffered loss of form but he should have been given a fair crack in preseason from what I heard on here his form had returned at the end of the season

• nut meg

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM

With the glaring lack of pace in the heart of our defence we need Tiote possibly more than ever to give us some protection.Both colback & Anita can fill in BUT you want your best man there. We can’t really play a high line because of a serious lack of pace as was obvious by the number of times we got done by balls played over the top on Sunday.Oh for a top CB……..please.

• martoon

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM

pawl250 @26 – I don’t think it is clear cut between Dummitt and Haidara. Dummitt is a better defender but looks lost going forward however Haidara looks good going forward but not so strong in defence. Ideally a combination of the two would be perfect 🙂

1 2 3 7