Newcastle Not A Big Enough Club For This Transfer Target

We don’t know why people take such cheap shots at Newcastle United from time to time – with the transfer of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Remy Cabella from Montpellier we had to put up with some name calling from their 70 year-old Chairman Louis Nicollin and now Celtic manager Ronny Deila has said that center-back Virgil van Dijk can do better than go to Newcastle, and that he’s good enough to join a top six club in England..

Ronny Deila

Ronny Deila – new Celtic manager

Newcastle were reported to be strong favorites by the Scotsman a couple of days ago to sign Virgil, and this is how Celtic manager responded to the possible transfer of Virgil:

“He is a top player.”“If he trains well and focuses on the right things he can go to big clubs – and I mean clubs above Newcastle.¨  “That’s the target for him.”“He has to go to teams that are at the highest level and he can do that from Celtic.¨

“If he continues playing the way he is, working on his concentration and learning from the experiences of European competition he can move to a big club.¨ “He has everything, he just needs to keep consistency and to keep motivated.”

Some of those comments from the Celtic manager are simply to drive up the interest in their center-back, which hopefully for them will drive up the transfer fee they can get for the talented Dutchman.

The price for the 23 year-old Dutch center-back is said to be £8M, which seems reasonable, even though Celtic paid only £2.5M for him last summer., when he moved from Groningen.

But one of the problems of joining a top six club, is a good player could spend a lot of time on the bench – so that’s at least one advantage of Virgil joining Newcastle from Celtic – he will likely be an immediate  starter at the Magpies.

It’s thought that Celtic may try to keep their center-back, should they qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

And luck is certainly on their side because in the previous round they were hammered 6-1 by Legia Warsaw, but the Polish club fielded an ineligible player in the last few minutes of the second leg, and were eliminated because of that.

Celtic drew 1-1 at Slovenian club Maribor, and the second leg is next Wednesday in Scotland.

Note: Paul Lawson is a NUFC season ticket holder living in Birmingham, and wonders if there are any other season ticket holders in the area, so they can share the car expenses to Newcastle – you can contact Paul at 07969296054.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• BuckLuck

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Repost +

A bit surprised to see a majority think we will win tomorrows game. I think it will be very tough and anything more than 1 point will be a bonus.

That said I was fairly impressed with the way we played against City. I just think Villas attacking players will be more than a handful against Willo And Colo. I’m a big fan of pace, and let’s be honest. Our defence is slow at best.
    Hope I’m dead wrong and that we’ll beat them 0-4. Good luck tomorrow mates!

That’s just a way for Deila to try and keep his best player for 6-12 more months.

• deeps

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Fcuk Celtic championship club

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM

£6+Tiote for Welbeck?????
    Ahahahahahahaha
    F**k right off!!!!!

Toon kk
    Never said he wasn’t, but he’s replaceable
    Given we’ve just had a bid Rejected for Van Dijk then I’d say yes the money would get spent wouldn’t you?

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Who the hell is Ronny Delia anyway?
    Ffs he manages a pub team

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM

REPOST!!

Pawl @250

I do not think you are sensible poster I think you openly criticise people if they disagree with you and you think you are right at all times. In many ways the same you think of me.

Who have I launched a personal attack on? And did I launch a personal attack on you or did you write that I smoke alot which essentially distorts my train of thought?…basically I talk shite!!

I never had a go at anyone that agreed with your opinion yet others that agreed with my opinion were referred to as jumping on the bandwagon. Lets wait on Tiote and hope he doesnt go as the window hasnt closed yet, he could end up in russia or he could go to Arsenal!! either way you get a told you so from me but you may get a “Pawl bet you didnt see that coming”

As far as I’m concerned the debate is done, we have ended it as…..a wasted 3 hours or more!! Opinions haven’t changed and the world carries on as normal, hopefully you have learned from this that its not fair to say you are “right most of the times” and that labeling fellow posters isnt a nice thing to do.

I have learned to ignore you where possible, I can have sensible debates with people, like I did with Ibizatoon yesterday, I even changed some opinions (not seeing seasons in calander years) I don’t care that I’m right or wrong but one thing I am is passionate and this can sometimes let me down on here as my passion does get misconstrued, however I will never launch into personal insults in the manner you do!! I’m not always right….as pretty much all of us have differing opinions.

Have an excellent bank holiday weekend bud enjoy the game tomorrow and hopefully we will pick up 3 pts!!

You’ve just referred to AC as a pathetic little dweeb…..AHH!!

• Markaccus

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Why why why? Delia (dada dada dada dada daaa) et.c

• usmagpie

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Wow Celtic manager who hasn’t had a decent team in the Scots league for three years. What till Rangers get back in, and talk about trying to inflate the price. The reason top six team are top six teams is due to the fact they already have top defenders. What a #$%^ whistle who gives a crap about what this guys says this guy played for Odd Grenland in Norway what the hell does he know about football. Idiot.

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Or Man Utd…I hope this is rubbish about Welbeck. Where did the info come from?

Who is this Delia Smith from Celtic? Who’s he managed previously?

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM

For the Villa game
    It’s important to see a strong performance but not as important if filling the stadium with chants of “Keano, he w*nks his dog Keano”

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM

This quote: “If he continues playing the way he is, working on his concentration …” makes me think Titus?

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

With regard to the Wellbeck rumours, I think he is a decent player, not so much for his finishing, but more for his off-the-ball contribution. He has a habbit of making space around him which others can use to their advantage. Given most teams play a lone front-man these days I think it would be tragic if we signed him. If you plan on playing a conventional 4-4-2 formation, then he’s not a bad player to have around.

• toon kk

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Tads
    no I can’t see any more signings in this window, I would like to be proved wrong.
    The worst thing with MA it could be two years before we buy again. The majority of the players brought in have resale in mind.

• Average_Contents

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

From pawl

I cry bullying, show me in the past when I cry bullying I challenge you to do so? I could not care what you or anyone says its text on a page man you pathetic little dweeb.

You are one of those people that just make things up from thin air.

I have never complained about bullying apart from a time the past when someone was getting heavily picked on and I sided with him basically telling the ar**holes what I thought of them. You could see it was actually effecting the person being bullied.

I have never complained about being bullied. I couldn’t give a sh*t if people try clearly I am winding them up enough to respond and I love a good debate….

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

toon kk
    We’ve just had a bid rejected, how is that us not looking to bring more in?

• Average_Contents

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Pawl

Will this do for now? Regardless if it’s bullying or not you mentioned it but then say you never mentioned being bullied

“I remember once someone posted a picture of what they thought I looked like thats bullying”

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM

is this a joke??? does anyone think celtic are going to sell to Rangers(ashley)?????

NEXT STORY

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM

@thespectoview: Some rumours going round that Mike Ashley is in talks to sign Newcastle Jets of the A League. Would be a strange one… #nufc

Explains our preseason!

• spitfire_

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM

And the last player who go from Celtic to club bigger than Newcastle was… Oh, right.

• londonderry toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM

celtic managers talk shit

• tonybhoy

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM

ha ha….he never said top 6 club, he said bigger club, take your pick lol

• Our Toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM

TADS

How much do you think that Celtic lads worth? And do you think he’s good enough?

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

plz dnt send any of our youngster or fring players there. even shola wouod get a big club than celtic..he rather go to league 2 team

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

@18 probably Larsen to Manyoo? Can’t remember if he went anywhere between them, and cant be bothered to google it.

• Average_Contents

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Challenge accepted, opponent crushed

Or did I pluck that out of thin air?

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Cancel my last, just remembered Larsson went to Barca, then Manyoo on loan from somewhere in Sweden.

• londonderry toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

all this talk of welbeck i play football manager and chelsea just signed him for 13.5 mill raising to 17.5 LOL LOL give them tiote

• Jay K

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Lads

Just thought it’s worth a mention was at the training ground this morning and Mike Ashley was there with Lee charnley. Ashley came in the chopper they then left in chernleys car

• Average_Contents

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM

You must be busy now eh pawl? You got proved to be lying and when presented with the evidence that doesn’t exist according to you, decide to disappear!

But I was busy/didn’t want to discuss with you/your a dweeb yet we all know what it really was don’t we

Good job

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Jay K, did they have a caravan on the back of Charnley’s car? What with it being the bank holiday weekend, I just wondered how the traffic was?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Ed…it’s because of the way the club has conducted itself since Mr. Tubbs took over!

…poor decisionmaking and no ambitions what so ever!

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Jay K,
    do you know if they went to lunch after?
    any idea what they ordered?
    does ashley put ketchup on his fries or just salt?

• G

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Oi Taco, wait your turn, I asked first!

• Average_Contents

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Anyway

Who’s this Delia fellow slagging off Newcastle? That’s right a two-bit manager in a two-bit league

Who actually seen virgil play? I haven’t so can’t really comment on him

• londonderry toon

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

and we just signed puyol lol this game is so beliveable LOL

• beermonkey

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

tads

does that mean buying another team where is it isn’t it austrailia ??

• vinnycsc

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Pretty funny you lot are all offended by these comments. I heard nothing bu negativity about Celtic when FF was loaned/sold to us from your manager and fans. Suck it up and don’t be so sensitive. You are not a big club anymore. Celtic are in a shite league that has to operate beside your overpriced league so we can’t compete at the level we used to. We have to deal with that and you have to deal with the fact you have been left behind by the over spending teams above you. It is what it is.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I see that the LMA are getting slated re the Malky Mackay carry on.
    Let’s face it they’ve made loads of mistakes in the recent past.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Londonderry. I love that at the start of a fifa 14 career I was expected to get a cup and champions league football with newcastle. Is that any more realistic?

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Our Toon
    Sadly we won’t if he’s good enough unless he’s given the chance to show it
    Personally wouldn’t go higher than £7 mil

• toon kk

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Tads
    speculation mate. No mention on sky sports.