Newcastle Have Some Good Creative Players Again

From what we saw last week against Manchester City, Remy Cabella can quickly become a star on Tyneside, but some of our other players also showed some creativity, and substitutes Ayoze Perez and 18 year-old Rolando looked good when they were brought on in the second half and they helped to give the Manchester City defense some uncomfortable moments.

Remy Cabella scored hiddersfiled

Remy Cabella in action during pre-season

We should also mention Gabby Obertan, who made a good cameo appearance over the last 25 minutes of the game,  and Gabby’s personal challenge this season is to maintain consistency, which is what he has struggled with in his career.

We could have taken something out of the game last Sunday, and what seemed to be missing was a player like Loic Remy or Yohan Cabaye, who could have scored with a half chance, and we had a couple of very decent chances late in the game when the score was still 1-0, but we didn’t take them.

Alan Pardew has pointed out today that Cabella is not a direct replacement for Yohan Cabaye, although he does bring creativity to the side:

“They’re different players – Cabella and Cabaye. What Remy does in terms of great moments in the game, he can create them – obviously Cabaye could do that,  so there’s a similarity in that.”

“You need a framework for those players and a platform to win games. Now we need the other side of it, that special quality that Cabaye gave us, that Demba Ba and Loic Remy gave us.”

“Cabella is very much a replacement for one of those three names, and de Jong, Riviere, Cundo (Facundo Ferreyra), Rolando Aarons and Ayoze Perez, who came on and did a nice cameo, have got to ring with the same noise bell as those other players.”

We have a feeling that if Siem de Jong can play in this game, he can be a big player for us – because Siem has an eye for goal and he has already shown Newcastle fans he can score goals like Cabaye used to score for us – goals from out of the blue.

A win today is what we’d like to see, but we suppose a draw would also be a more than decent result.

What do you think?

Note: Paul Lawson is a NUFC season ticket holder living in Birmingham, and wonders if there are any other season ticket holders in the area, so they can share the car expenses to Newcastle – you can contact Paul at 07969296054.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Rotonda heights

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Alan Pardew Talks About What Success Looks Like

How the hell would he know !!!!!!!

Oh yeah I forgot ” He’s a winner”!!! lol

For ”Talks About” replace with ”Imagines”

• Rotonda heights

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

yes we do have some great creative players now, but Alan please play to their strengths.

No just containing and defending deep with no movement in midfield. ATTACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Goals to nick points in games which we haven’t played well in again you mean, Ed.

Like Remy scored in the last minute and Hatem setting up for Cisse. Take those points off our final tally and we are cutting it fine. That is just those two…

Pardew is lucky that he has the quality of player that Carr brings in to get him out of these situations.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Because we didn’t attack last week?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Rotonda

Personally, although not a fan of pardew, thought there was enough from us in the city game to make me think we have a good chance at villa. Sure no shots on target but 3 very good chances where we should have hit the target and probably scored as well.

People say it was a below par city but that could have been down to us playing well. When we are bad nobody credits the opposition, just slate us.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Lr32 those results still count though. Man u won the title not long ago on lot of 1-0 results

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I wonder what he means by framework? Never heard a manager use that one before. I know what he means by “a base” sit back make sure we don’t concede in the first 60 minutes then try to nick a goal I just hope we don’t do that today! The only problem is when he’s used the word “base” that’s exactly what it means

Here’s hoping though eh!

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Ts when we win it’s because the opposition were rubbish. When we lose its because we were awful. Other reasons we win are luck and miracles.
    FACT!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Tads…humor me here and show me where I said I know how we played against Citeh…

…play nice and quote me correctly this time

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Laurent

I agree we need to get better and get more from or players, attacking a bit more (well not more but in bigger numbers, often have 1 in the box).

But a good team does nick goals and wins when not playing well, it’s about individual quality at times.

I do think we need to play better consistently though.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

PPB yeah, fortunately for Pinocchio they do count.

However, that can be the height of our wins. For other teams that is scraping out points from their crap games.

Put good consistent, creative performances in and the points will come. The wooden boy simply looks to nick a point.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM

PPB

It just gets on my nerves at times. We have players with individual ability, we have scouted, bought and selected them in the team…it’s no therefore lucky when they use their skills to score us goals

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Transfer, you’re right and I agree with 1-0 wins being good at times and show character.

However, for good teams that is their bad period where they nick a goal.

Our bad period is abysmal and those nicking points is usually the ‘best’ way we accumulate points. That is not good enough with our calibre of player.

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Overly cautious alan, please not today or any other day for that matter you twonk

Let the lads play and we should have more than enough to beat villa

Hoping for a decent win today but I’d take 0-1 aslong as we play well

What I don’t want to see is shitty containment football with no end product

HWTL!

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM

We’ve still got a defence that could crumble at any given moment so it will be very tough game.
    We should be winning these out of routine though, and if we can’t Pardew must look at himself and ask if he’s actually up to it.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Lr and ts totally agree that we have not looked goid enough a lot of the time. I however believe this season will show some improvement and we’ll finally get some good youngsters coming through

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Laurent

Yeh that’s what I’m getting at, too an extent anyway.

I think at some times we just decide to take of the handbreak at we really get at teams, then spend the next ten games going back to how we usually play.

I just can’t forgive out why at times.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Average, agreed.

All those aimed balls to Williamson again on Sunday shows he just doesn’t learn though.

I am looking forward to watching the game.

Villa could be a bit of a mixed bag.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Transfer, and that’s why my patience has ran out for him. All hype and PR, very little substance of good, expressive performances.

• JDdubai

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

The biggest issue for me is the lack of fluid movement in the opposition half, so many times there is only 1 pass and then the player controls and then someone tries to move. |

It should all be fluid with 2 players moving before the team mate receives the ball to give options, same as Liverpool and Everton do and it only comes from the coaching sadly.

The reason Tiote got caught on the ball so much last season was that there was no quick easy pass forwards, no movement to give options so he holds onto it for longer and invariably got caught.

The chances, goals etc will all follow the movement naturally, gotta start with the basics.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Jesper
    I didn’t quote you in anything
    Your using 1 stat that without watching the game you cannot possibly put into context yet feel you can use that stat to say you can’t see how we can beat Villa
    Without watching the match you have no idea how we played, the chances we created, the way we moved the ball around, the positive runs of the forwards and midfield etc

Like i said didn’t quote you in the slightest, asked how you can base the fact we’ll struggle today based on one stat vs the league champions

• croftus5678

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM

i missed the city game because of work 🙁
    got back and see the highlights though and we looked very good to me ! didnt look like we was outplayed at all and based on highlights it looked like the game should have been a draw in reality based on performances if it wasnt for what imo was 2 defensive mistakes but the noise on this blog from a lot of fans got me believing obv highlights dont tell the full story and we must have been a lot worse than i saw on the highlights !

3 puds fans 1 chelscum fan and even an arsenal fan said we should have won the game ^^ no fans of other clubs are saying city deserved the win as of yet ! even a city fan said a draw was a fair result but they didnt deserve to win it !!! now i’m a fairly big bloke but theres no way i could scare a city fan into admitting they shouldnt have won when i didnt even watch the full game lol.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM

It ran out after the Reading home game! No more after that.

Takes Cabaye off (with a possible knock) AND Marveaux who could well of been the best player that day and we lose the game from a winning position at home.

Enough is enough. Had he gone then, the new broken records wouldn’t have been made. We may have even beaten Sunderland. I’ve forgotten what that feels like it was so long ago.

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Yeah them free-kicks boil my piss mate and when the commentators mention it’s a dangerous position my initial thought is….have you actually seen us play before lol then that turns into anger because it’s embarrassing watching it over and over again with the same outcome

The corners against city were an improvement from previous though so not all is lost 😉

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

JD, exactly. Fluid movement from the training pitch.

• Pottz

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Of course Pardew is gonna be cautious today.

He is expecting 4 points from the next 2 games, which means he is setting up for a draw today.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Tads…no you didn’t quote me damn right!

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yeah let’s play to our strengths please Pards! No containing football, perhaps only for the first 10 min of the match when we’re still warming up after that it should be ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!! We have flair like you’ve said now let’s see it consistently for prolonged periods in matches!

3-1 for the TOON if we attack like we should. Cabella, Sissoko and De Jong.

HWTL

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Anyone else hoping that little blurt Owen isn’t on commentary today?

He is by far the worst commentator in the history of sport

I’ll have to stream the match today because no BT sport for me, I refuse to pay anything to them robbing bastards!

Just hope my laptop doesn’t start to play up and I can get a decent stream….I may even use a hdmi lead and plug into the telly and watch in style

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Jesper
    Still doesn’t explain how you feel confident of using one stat to base and form an opinion to use as yardstick to say you don’t see how we’ll beat villa, to quote you in fact as you seem so keen on that

“I most say reading those stats I do find it a bit difficult to beat Villa if we play like we did against Citeh ”
    So once again, using your stats, tell me jesp, how did we play against Citeh?
    Enjoy the game

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM

That made me sound like an armchair supporter lol, I used to go but not anymore.

My last game was the 5-1 derby demolition, sat in the gallowgate with my little bro

What a day and I’ve still got my match ticket, program, scarve and top I wore that day stuffed away in a bag….I even wore the top for the last derbies but it didn’t work! So not a bad last match to attend

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I am going for a draw today. If we score the first goal, I don’t think the troops will be instructed to finish off the game – Villa would put us on the back foot and surely grab something from the game.

I think our best chance to win the game is to try and put the game beyond Villa in the first half, once Roy Keane gets them in the dressing room after assessing the game, they will likely be stronger in the 2nd half.

• optimistic prime

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Still going for 1-1 today hopefully more but I’m not to optimistic today.

Had a quick scan through previous articles and saw Welbeck mentioned !
    Please please say it ain’t so, we aren’t linked with Man u’s version of Shola are we? 🙁

• catchy in norway

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM

90% expect at least a point

a whopping 72% expect a win

when we end up with nothing will they complain, or will they just swallow the pardew magic pill called excuse, the one where he says Villa are a fantastic team, a lot of teams will struggle when they come here Lambert and Keane have got them well organized,
    then burnley will rock up at villa in a few weeks and smash 4 past them

HE is a winner 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

tads…don’t turn this on me!

…I know what I said and in what regards I said it…clearly you don’t. I can also read what you wrote to me!

And I responded to that.

• Average_Contents

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Ancient

That’s the worry isn’t it mate, if we do manage to go a goal up will we go for more or just sit back and invite pressure….we need to go for the throat from the off and if parsnip let’s them play then I’d be pretty confident of a win but not with shiity containment football hoping to nick a goal then shut up shop!

• croftus5678

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

@34 catchy

and if we win catchy will you admit we have a good team or played well if we do and confess your love for pards and admit its because you have a crush on him and you wanted to throw people off your scent 😉

• stuart no9

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

what worries me is – he is happy with 4 points from the villa and the palace game , so somewhere in there he is looking for a draw. Why cant he tell the players he would be happy with 6 points – not 4 , again giving the impression they dont have to win . And pardew says ‘hes a winner ?? in 4 years here , i have seen no sign of his ‘ winning mentality yet . 1-0 villa today, if we are very lucky , have the ref and get a shot on target – 1-1

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Jesper

How come you missed the first match? Busy or still you self exposed exile from matches?

I’m going to miss today’s though, will be out when it’s on, so going to have to rely on the extended highlights sky have.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Stuart

Well I’d like 6 points but think 4 would be ok, not a disaster. Although in fairness if we are targeting any away wins this year villa without benteke must be high in the list