Newcastle Looking At Various Options For New Players

Alan Pardew is still hoping that Managing Director Lee Charnley, with the help of owner Mike Ashley, will be able to bring one or two more players into the squad before  a week tomorrow night, when the transfer window slams shut.

Alan Pardew Villa Park

Alan Pardew – yesterday at Villa Park

If Newcastle can bring in a good striker and a center-back in the next eight days, that would finish off what has been a very good transfer window for Newcastle United, with nine players having already been brought in this summer.

We haven’t made a great start to the season as far as the points are concerned, with just one point from our first two games, but in the game last week at home against Manchester City and yesterday at Aston Villa, the lads came on strongly in the second half and carved out a few chances, but we just couldn’t hit the back of the net.

Siem de Jong did look good in his first appearance yesterday and he almost scored the winner after 88 minutes,  and seemed to do everything right as he hammered the ball towards goal – but credit to goalkeeper Brad Guzan who made an instinctive block, when the ball was traveling like a bullet towards the back of the net. 🙁

Alan Pardew is hoping for a good end to this transfer window:

“I’m hoping for a more positive end to the window than a negative end to the window, I think we’re looking at situations that might help us.”

“We feel we’ve done good business but we’re looking at the options we think are good enough for us so we’ve got our finger on the pulse and that’s all I can say really.¨

“I think all managers hope for one or two, that doesn’t mean to say they’re going to arrive.¨ “I can’t argue with what the board have done, we’ve been criticised in the past for not spending the money and not putting it back in.¨

“A lot of people thought we wouldn’t do much business this summer but we did and we did it early, it’s got us in a good position. We’ve got a good solid team there it’s just about getting the goals.¨

“I’d accept any player coming into my group, the situation is on the horizon. We’ve had no offers for our players. I don’t think we’re going to lose a big player, fingers crossed.”

We are also hoping Newcastle may announce their tenth signing of the season,  after Neil Warnock had said on BT Sport yesterday that Alan Pardew had told him that would happen today.

If it doesn’t happen then why is Neil saying that – and why did Alan tell him that?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Slank

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Wickham in the starting lineup and Wellbeck on the bench so no move for them today !

• optimistic prime

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

IF my Aunty had Balls she’d be my uncle.

IFS and BUTS

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda

• Marty-Toon

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Can see the team being like
    ……………Elliott……………..
    Janmaat/Anita. Mbiwa Sayls. Haidara
    Obertan. Abeid. De Jong Aarons.
    Cabella/Vuckic
    Ayoze.

• toonLYF

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

great to hear about your health Ed! Been a while since i’ve been on here so it’s fantastic to see that the tests are showing positive results, long may it continue and thank you also for your continued efforts with the site!

• catchy in norway

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

tequila

the very fact you don’t shows you are an idiot

the team is an expression of who the manager wants the team to play,

this is all done on the training ground , weeks and weeks of practice

2 things stand out for me,

our free kicks are the same as they were 3 years ago, training must be fun 😉

and the very fact that pardew thinks that we play attacking football when any man and his dog can see we don’t, that tells me the man is confused in his own head as to what attacking football is

nice man he may be , but good football manager he is not,

FACT

• Marty-Toon

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Armstrong and Facundo ought to get a run out too as Streete may also get an opportunity.

• tequilamag

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Catchy, when you learn the difference between an opinion which is subjective and a fact which is objective you will be making progress until then you are just ranting on the internet.

• catchy in norway

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

facts are facts mate

live with it

• midweek weekend

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

So where is this new signing then?

• tequilamag

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Yes Catchy facts are facts and opinions are opinions. Just because you think something is correct no more matter how strongly you hold that belief does not mean it is a fact.
    I met someone who was convinced Orange was a front for aliens who were you using Leeds airport as a base.Did not make it a fact.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I personally have lost hope with pardew, I think we’ll be high mid table (probably 8-10th). Not a bad season but can’t see us playing the football we want and in my opinion the players would be better suited to.

Would love him to prove me wrong but I’ve been waiting over 3 years for the style that would prove me wrong. It’s happened on a handful of games in 3 a half years

• Toon1978

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Lads, it may just be me but i am worried about the total lack of goals. The club dont seem to grasp the fact we need a proven striker asap. We have done great with the signings we have go but they are all replacements for what we already had. There is no improvement tbf. We have a Midfield just as good as when Cabaye was here but we lack up top. A Remy or Ba but the club need to spend some top dollar to get players like that. Not only that, if we do get a striker, can Pardews tactics get us the goals and success the club needs? We have lost so many games of late, back end of last season and it dont seem to be getting much better. Fingers crossed that i am completely wrong and the club will kick on..HWTL!

• Ron Knee

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM

TS
    Agreed. The underlying problem is P45, no matter who we sign.

• Marty-Toon

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Ed,
    Great to hear of your results.
    Way ta go man,praying your good health continues for years to come

• phoonck

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Ethiotoon

Right, I see your point now. At least you’re argumentative without getting abusive, like a certain user by the name of bladeuser.

I think Pardew is playing him as a 2nd striker, a more withdrawn role linking the midfielders and strikers.

But what I worry about is when de Jong is out injured or suspended, we will not have a like for like replacement, which I feel Ben Arfa is a close candidate but seems like he has played his last game for the club.

Is it a dream that’s never going to happen, to see Cabella and Ben Arfa operating down the wings, de Jong as a second striker behind Cisse/Ayoze/Riviere?

HWTL!

• Toon1978

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, great stuff Ed. Happy days 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Toon 1978

Personally the goals don’t worry me, think we have enough goals in this team with who we have.

Agree that to push on an challenge a bit further a genuine goal scorer would help, but proven goal scorers cost money as they are the ones that win you games more than any other position. We just don’t seen to like to shell out the big bucks you need for that.

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Pardew needs to go his tactical awareness is none exsistant.

• Toon1978

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Transfer Sage

I think Everton went over board with Lukaku, i would not expect NUFC to do that, i wouldnt want them to spend such money BUT i do expect us to spend around 12 to 15 million for a good striker.

• Thump

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM

“I’d accept any player coming into the group.”

No bother, Alan. I’ll meet you tomorrow at Benton so we can hash out the contract details.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

toonLYF…good to have you back mate 😀

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I agree with your figures transfer sage but whom could we sign for that kinda money who will be any cop?

• Andobackman

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

See that sunderland are playing three upfront against manu three ch. Lets see how poyet comes out of that…

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM

1978

I think that was ok, maybe a bit pricey but it’s the player they wanted so fair play. Money doesn’t bother me, if we can get the right man on a free like we did with Ba then in happy, if the striker we need is 30mil then I’m also happy.

I don’t need to run the club or handle accounts for the actual cost isn’t my concern, but as a fan the quality of the player is so would like us to get a quality forward in. (My point on money was that usually top class forwards who are proven cost money)

• phoonck

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Bladeuser

Please, when did I say we played good football? I only said no matter how we play, good or bad, it’s a joy to see 11 players pulling on the striped jersey of Newcastle playing on the field.

When will you learn not to argue blindly?

HWTL!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Been a busy weekend – I forgot to change Ander Herrera 🙁

…dammit!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Toonfromleeds

I think remy would come for those figures, he’s lost two on the spin in a woeful QPR team and isn’t getting the big offers he expected so might reconsider us.

Personally though I think benteke would come for that kind of money, villa are pap, he’d want come to us in my opinion and with last season been average and him having an injury think his price will be 15 not the 25 they wanted the year before.

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM

£12-£15 million. Hernandez? Welbeck?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM

The Scum is one down 😀

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Transfer Sage. I agree with Benteke if he wasn’t injured plus I’m not sure if want to take Remy he’s not the most loyal player.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

QPR and Remy deserves each other! He is the right kind of player just the wrong kind of character in my book!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Leeds

Think welbeck will be like so many other when they leave man utd, average players in average teams. Better ways to spend that kind of money.

I’d say we need a player up top who can hold the ball up but also play football and score too, which is why is go for benteke.

• Grumpy

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Are you sure it was Leeds airport and not Eland Rd.

• Average_Contents

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

No use saying it parsnip you’ve got to get fatty, charnley,Irvine and yourself to deliver….a bit like your style of football that never happens or appears, only to you

Stevie wonder!

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I think Abel Hernandez would be a decent shout for those figures. I do feel Javier Hernandez would suit our squad brilliantly

• Transfer Sage

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Leeds and Jesper

How many players are loyal these days, they have to look out for what’s best for themselves at the end of the day.

When remy played he did well for us, think if we got him signed up her try his heart out even if it was just to secure interest from a bigger club, either way we benefit in goals for years or goals then cash.

• Shaker Shakrah

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

So far Eric Dier has scored more goals than our team
    in the first 2 rounds ( 2 )

• Ron Knee

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

When did Rémy last score a goal?

• Toon Tang

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM

toonLYF from the other story, give it time mate and we’ll be there haha. Probably not in quite the same manner though as you’re right, the blog was all out war then.

Was remembering other names like joppadoni, GT89, geordiegerman to name a few. With the unbeaten run at the start of the 2011 season being the high point haaaa

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM

What you on about Grumpy?
    Yes I think Benteke would be brill but he’s injured