I Had Four And A Half Fabulous Years At Newcastle

It’s good to see young players in football go through the years and mature in front of our very eyes.

Charles N'Zogbia Villa+v+Newcastle

Charles N’Zogbia playing on Saturday

It happened most to David Beckham, and who will ever forget him being sent off in the quarter finals against Argentina during the World Cup in France back in 1998, but then he started to mature, became captain of England and did a great job for football and for England here in the US at the LA Galaxy.

And from what we can tell, the same thing is happening to our former winger Charles N’Zogbia, who was sold by Joe Kinnear back in January of 2009, after the two had fallen out when Joe had called him InSomnia – but we have since found out that Joe has a big problem with names.

We didn’t realize until Joe came back to Newcastle as Director of Football that we had a player called Yohan Kebab and a Managing Director called Derek Lambayzee, so it wasn’t a one-off from Joe back in January of 2009.

Charles N’Zogbia played against us on Saturday, and this is what he had to say about Newcastle United today:

“Newcastle are a club I’ll always respect because they were the first club to put me in at professional level. I was 18 when I first signed for them and I had four and a half fabulous years at Newcastle.

“It is still always good to play against a team that you were with before and have respect for.”

N’Zogbia has realized when he looked back how good Newcastle United were for him, and we brought him through at the club to be a good player.

Charles joined us in August 2004 from Le Havre when Bobby Robson was (only just) still the manager, and he played 155 games for Newcastle with 9 goals, and when he moved to Wigan he played 90 times with 18 goals.

But since he arrived at Aston Villa he hasn’t fared so well, although he has had some injuries including a ruptured Achilles last season, and in the three years he’s been at Villa he has played 58 games with 6 goals, and he has two full caps for France.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• geordie157

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Straight swap for Ben arfa.

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM

ben arfa playing well today albeit for the reserves, armstrong having another barnstormer. personally i think we should give him a run as a starter with quality around him.

ben arfa sdj cabella
    armstrong

no harm in trying it out

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Andyclown

How would you have me prove it?

Go round his house have my photo taken with him, holding his bank statement and a copy of his business portfolio?

Hahaha, stick to your drug dealing and getting 16yr old girls pregnant x

P.s. I support a team a million miles away? What a ass you are

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I didn’t realise they where playing in Whitley until a hour ago otherwise I woulda had a walk along 🙁

• martoon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Andy – what is your problem? Like Optimistic I also have worked for millionaires and although you are on first name terms with them that doesn’t mean you hang out at their house or go out drinking with them!

• martoon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I take back what I said earlier!!

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 6m
    Hatem Ben Arfa has just waltzed round four men and planted a shot past the keeper. 4-2 #nufc Great finish

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM

andycloon

wake up son,, time to get schooled ,

stick to talking to your mates like manx and bilson, these guys are on your level

know sweet fa about anything let alone football

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM

HBA scores 4-2. He went past 4 players and then drilled ball home. Is this a dilemma for Pardew or a passport to another club?

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM

It’s only Reading Reseves………!!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Optimistic,
    It is a long walk from the US to Whitley mind!! 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Ian,
    I remember Xisco and Luque doing very well for our second string on a number of occasions as well. Let’s not get carried away here. I think that this will be his escape though, there is bound to be a scout there that will be checking on his match fitness. That is, in my opinion, the reason he is playing today.

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Lg

Haha never thought of that 🙁

Ian toon

How’s Bennys defending? 😉

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

• DokToon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

morning all,

see we have SUFC using an alibi today lol…

hope everyoen is well…

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Catchy

Everytime I hear that I cringe

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM

The reserves have leaked 2 goals today… shocking, must be Ben Arfa’s fault, where was he when the goals went in, not tracked back and standing on the goal line I bet.

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Does Williamsons ban apply to Gills or will it be the Palace game?

I thought league cup was different so it wouldn’t count, anyone know for sure as I’ve seen conflicting reports on the net.

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Look at that picture of Ben Arfa, who ate all the pies eh? Busting at the seems and bordering on morbidly obese.

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

I think your right about the match fitness thing ..

but at least it should shut a load of cnuts up on here, regardless of who the opposition is, he still has to play, and he must be doing something right if they were getting beat 2-0 and it seems to be the AC and HBA show 5-2

and lets face it, he is quality, its the managers job to get the best out of him by first picking him, second, putting him in the right position, third , supporting him, give the kid a run in the team, the last time he did that, hba cabaye and cisse ran riot, and played some amazing football between the 3 of them

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Lilongwe- I am not advocating anything merely implying that we potentially now have options. Given that the clock is ticking down on the window and it appears that we have to offload before buying.
    I am not watching but getting updates and the word is that the link play HBA and Armstrong was promising.
    Hope I am not building anyone’s hopes up as HBA has a fragile mentality.

• murvar

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I was at Villa. After about 25 minutes, the clowns around me started chanting “Hatem Ben Arfa!!”. I still can’t work out whether they were so stupid as not to realise he wasn’t on the bench or whether they just wanted to insult the players who were on the pitch or on the bench. Either way – mindless and potentially damaging to the team. The sooner he goes off to be a prima donna somewhere else the better for all concerned. He’s an unnecessary and – in my case – a thoroughly unwanted distraction.

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM

OP

its the first time iv heard it .. poor fella,

I think its P45DEW, 😉 trying a Geordie accent

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Ancientcoptic

should have gone to Specsavers mate 😉

AC looks much fatter

• Tinman

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Hi, I’m Adam Armstrong. Remember me?

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

HBA

HBA

HBA

our best player by far, carnt wait until he is back in the team,, pardew will be begging him to play soon

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

catchy… I am just mocking the absolute tripe that people come out with… Benny looks fit as a butcher’s dog.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Catchy,
    He is undoubtedly quality, but no manager has ever managed to get the best out of him. I imagine a better manager would probably get more out of him, but I still think that we would end up in the same stand off situation.

I’d imagine it is more likely that Arma will get a chance on the back of this than HBA. I think there is too much water under the bridge, I doubt a new manager would change that as this all seem to begin when contract talks broke down. I predicted this last summer when I advocated selling him. He values himself far higher than the club will pay, so it was always going to be a messy ending as a new contract was always unlikely.

The fact he has also fallen out with other players (allegedly) and the manager has just compounded it.

Ian,
    I don’t see anyway back for him. IF he could come back and play as part of a team on a consistent basis, then I’d love him back as he is undoubtedly a very talented lad, but I can’t see it happening.

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Catchy

Heard it a couple times, could be Gazza he likes a few tears 😉

Was Chucky there today?

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I really rate Armstrong…has always impressed me. He should be around the team just like Aarons is. We should use him in the number 10 role. Though he might be behind SDJ and Riviere and possibly Cabella on that one.

I would play him the full 90 min in the hole in a cup game with Ayoze in front of him and HBA and Aarons on either side of a front three.

Aarons————–Ayoze————HBA

———————Armstrong—————

Now that should be interesting and would frighten cup opponents.

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM

murvar- I agree with your sentiments. If he’s not playing or on the bench he is a total distraction. Talk of us having the best fans in football is mere talk. The mindless lot you mention do nothing to support the team on the field. It’s also long been plain boring endlessly talking about HBA non contribution to being a team player. I prefer seeing a local lad like Jack Colback giving a gutsy performance. No frills but plenty of endeavour for the team. Which Manager said give me perspiration before inspiration every time!

• londonderry toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

wouldnt hurt to give ben arfa a run out tomorrow what harm could it do even 45 mins

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Armstrong hat trick.

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Lilongwe Geordie,

that’s just the thing, he may have been a problem at other clubs, but I think he has been a pro at our club, I tend to think the club has let him down more than he has let the club down,
    pardew telling everyone he was injured, HBA got into trouble for coming out and saying he wasn’t, whats that all about, who is in the wrong, he gets wrong for telling the truth,
    as for the bust up with other players, WHO exactly? all I have heard is pardew asked the players what they thought was going wrong and HBA told him it was his defensive tactics , this is something cabaye, Ba colo had already done before him.
    IMO this is not what pardew wanted to hear, and this is the reason HBA is banished, he could of help the team last season , and he can sure as hell still help them this season..

• geordie157

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

If there were so many Ben Arfa lovers out there, then surely the reserves would have got a lot more than 415 people there today.

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Ian Toon // Aug 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM

“murvar- I agree with your sentiments. If he’s not playing or on the bench he is a total distraction.”

Ah, I see… I get it now. The reason we have 5 wins in 23 games is because Ben Arfa has been a distraction, even though he has not been playing. Got it.

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Is it Londonderry or Derry ?
    Interesting historically!
    If we have a few suitors at the game why not.

• geordie157

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

has Ed done a poll on Ben Arfa yet, with a simple want him to stay or want him out vote.

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Ian

Those mindless bunch travel thousands of miles every year following the team through some very testing times!

They have every right to express their feelings or do you think the silent tomb that is SJP is the way foward?

You prefer Colback to Ben Arfa or perspiration over inspiration?

Do you even like football?

9 out of 10 fans go to see that bit of magic beat a player stick it the onion bag.

• catchy in norway

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM

G157

on a Monday afternoon,,

we arnt all at school like you