Newcastle Creating Many Chances – That’s Good

We had made the point after the 0-0 draw at Aston Villa on Saturday, that Newcastle were creating quite a few chances in our first two games, and our weakness was that we just couldn’t take any of those chances, but a team is in much better shape when they are creating chances.

fab coloccini at villa

Fab Coloccini – in action on Saturday at Villa Park

The real difficulty is when you cannot create the chances in the first place.

Newcastle captain has made that point today, and says Newcastle should really have taken all three points at Villa Park, and when you consider we probably had four good chances to score – (but didn’t) – the Argentine International is probably correct.

Thus is what Coloccini told the Shields Gazette (Miles Starforth) today:

“The good thing is that we are creating many, many chances,” “That’s good. When you create a few chances, it’s possible to score.”

“Sometimes it’s difficult, but we had four or five chances, and that’s important.” “Against Man City we did well as well – we had good shape.”

“But they have great players, and that made a difference.” “But I think we’re going the right way, and we have to keep that high tempo and intensity.”

“I think we pushed a bit more than them to win the game.” “They played at home, but in the first half we had possession and tried to go forward and score.”

“They waited to go on the break. I think we deserved the three points.”

Now Newcastle take on Gillingham tomorrow night in the Capital One Cup, and we simply have to get through that game.

Then we have to get three points on Saturday at home to Crystal Palace – in other words we really need to get two wins in a row if we are to get off to a good start this season, after taking only one point from our first two league games.

That’s definitely possible.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM

So which striker are we going to buy if its not an English player?

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM

samaras

• gazza85

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

REPOST

Welbeck would be a good player to have in the squad and I personally believe for 10mil he would be worth it (although we’d never get him that cheap).

His record at Man U isn’t great but he’s spent most of his time out wide or on the subs bench behind Rooney and now RVP.

I don’t think he’ll be a 20+ goal a season striker though (he doesn’t seem to be selfish enough) but 10-15 goals if played centrally primarily for 30-40 games isn’t beyond him (1 in 5 roughly in club football but he has 1 in 3 roughly for an average England team).

The attitude he has as well his workrate will only help endear him to fans and teammates.

Saying all of this I still don’t believe we’ll be after him.

Also JAMSHA…. Samaras just signed for West Brom.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

ballerfan
    We need a proven CF
    The underwhelming response to the news of Welbeck has nothing to do with the fact he played for the Mackems is due to the fact that he has never once hit double figures, never once lead the line as a lone CF and regardless of future potential is not what the squad need right now

• Robin

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I dont think we were creating many chances at any point of view

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM

gazza85

didnt know …he would be a decent striker

• Slank

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM

REPOST

The top British strikers last season were Sturridge with 21 goals, Rooney with 17 and Rodriguez with 15.

There is no way that Sturridge and Rooney would leave Liverpool and ManU to come to Newcastle.

Could we tempt Rodriguez ? Possibly yes. Would Southampton sell him ? Probably not.

Where do we go from there if we cannot get a proven striker. The lower leagues or foreign leagues would be the answer but not at the prices for British strikers in the lower leagues. A foreign striker looks the best bet.

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM

sebastian giovinco would be a good signg to would cost us 6-7 mil

• ganiyu

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

sissoko and gouffran should be dropped as they don’t create chances/ score chances

• newunited1

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM

PLEASE READ!!!!

I know this is non-newcastle related but i am RAISING FUNDS for the MNDA as I am doing the Great North Run in just over a week. I have been struggling to raise funds and would MASSIVELY appreciate anyone donating to help me reach my target of £200.

The ALS ICE WATER BUCKET challenge has been in the spotlight lately, but MNDA is the same thing but just in our country.

I have been greatly affected by it as my Auntie has been diagnosed with the disease and I want to do what I can to help raise funds for the charity.

PLEASE donate if you can.

• Shaker Shakrah

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I hope we just don’t waste any more money
    on a striker because the midfield is a mess
    most of the fans who can’t analyse a s*** don’t
    understand that the problem is not with the striker
    we need a playmaker who can fill Cabaye’s place fast
    Colback & Tiote are a defensive players and one of them
    need to sit on the bench , sign a playmaker for god sake !

• geordie157

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Wickham, sorted.

• yorkymag

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM

There is no doubt we are creating chances ,the football is pretty good two games in but we just don’t have real goalscorer and I know I am stating the obvious but
    With out doubt a real instinctive striker and we could have got points off city and almost certainly would have beaten villa
    I am really looking forward to the fluid nature of the team but without a focal point we are in for an unpleasant time of nearly this and nearly that
    Rivi ,Siem ,cabb,cisse and the kids are not the answer all have a roll but we simply must get a striker

• optimistic prime

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Alreet chaps, no news again.

I’ll give you some more no news.

As I said last night JC was in the bar last night with all the groundsmen etc.

Had a bit crack with a few of them asking if they’d heard out. None of them had any clue if we where even trying to sign anyone.

They’d did however say Pardew had gone back to SJP after a drink and they beleives Ashley was still there too.

8oclock on a Sunday night at work?

Like I said no news 😉

• Ancientcoptic

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM

If Ben Arfa is sold, and with insult to injury Welbeck is signed, I am done.

Luckily enough Welbeck is on 75k a week, actually more than Daniel Sturridge unbelievably… which is more than we would pay him.

Can you just imagine that after putting up with Ameobi for over a decade, we signed Welbeck… I am not sure I would be able to take it.

• ballerfan2

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM

TADS – I tend to agree with toonincheek, we actually have brought in strikers over the summer and it would be sensible to give them time to settle. Bringing in another (and I do appreciate the concerns about the lack of goals so far) would hardly give them a sense of belonging. I believe that once things start to click then our current strike force should do the job just fine. Two games in is not the time for knee jerk reaction. Now – as for a central defender, that’s another story altogether. Although Willo is doing a decent job we could certainly do with an upgrade in overall quality there. MYM is a frustration because despite his talent and exceptional speed he, like Taylor, is far too prone to making the wrong decision. If he could sort that (and grow 3 inches) then he would be a great player.

• yorkymag

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Optimistic
    The only place Ashley was at 8 pm Sunday was in his Essex local with his mate joe

Ha ha

• Shaker Shakrah

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM

And as for the ” Creating Chances ” haha
    don’t make me laugh ? really
    Did Gouffran create a thing ?
    Did Sissoko create a thing ?
    Did Anita create a thing ?
    Cabella one or two chances in two games
    Colback one chance in 2 games
    I am beginning to wonder how you all think ?
    we need a new midfielder who can sort the midfield out !!
    We still have a striker who didn’t even played a minute
    called ” Ferreyra ” so we don’t need another one

• yorkymag

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Shaker
    Of course you are spot on a creative midfielder like cabs would be very useful
    But you simply can’t say we did not create chances in either the city or villa game
    At least five very good chances were carved out against city alone two in the last 3mins
    And at villa 70 per cent first half possession
    Says it all
    A new creative midfielder would be great but a clinical proven finisher is not an option unless we want to be in the bottom half

• alan pardtridge

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I love Colo and it kills me to say he’s declined rapidly. His concentration is the worst I’ve seen it recently

• Shaker Shakrah

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM

# yorkymag

I can read the game and I know if the team played will or
    just kept the ball and didn’t pass it faster

I have to say against Man city the team was better
    against the Villa it’s just possession
    the ball with our Cbs > they cant find the 2 midfielders
    in front of them > they passed the ball to Krul > long ball
    Colo did take some good passes better than Williamson
    but is Colback or Anita good enough for this role ?
    Against the Villa we didn’t see any attack from the wing at all so that’s mean ZERO cross
    Riviere couldn’t find any good support honestly
    we need at least 1 proper winger ( Aarons ) who
    can send some good crosses
    Give Cabella a free role , SDJ behind the striker
    Aarons on the left side , Colback or Tiote with
    a good class playmaker as a box to box midfielders
    with both our fullbacks attacking
    this would be great , but pardew is an inept manager 🙁

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Many chances? Please Ed down be over optimistic. We have been poor and create few and far between. One only has to look at highlights of our last matches to see there was hardy any action in the danger areas.

It’s a combo of Pardew’s uselessness and the new players gelling into the team. We still lack a proven ST, CAM, and CB.

• Lynxie

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

‘Creating many many chances’……….
    REALLY? I have been watching the wrong games then, because we have been woefully toothless in the two games I have seen. Time to cut out the BS and smell the coffee. No goal threat means we are in for a long hard difficult season. Give us a centre forward, someone who can lead the line, as Riviere is not that person.

• magoo

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

creating many chances? youre having a laugh. for the opposition maybe

• ronjohno

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Since I first saw him I have been a Ben Arfa supporter but of course have to admit he is a luxury – but when you remember some of his goals you cannot help but admire. I suppose the fact no clubs are rushing to sign him speaks volumes. I do not believe he deserves this disgraceful treatment by that creton Pardew though.

I see Riviere is being picked on WHY – When with Monaco he was never a lone striker – it is not his game – he is a poacher so why the hell buy him if he is not going to be supported. Why Pardew insists on a lone striker God knows – same with Cisse – he is not a lone striker either.
    Get rid of Pardew and get a “football” thinking Manager – until that happens nothing is going to change.
    I wish the fluke 5th place would be consigned to what is