Magpies Need Reaction To Cup Defeat – We Need A Win

It looks like 18 year-old Rolando Aarons and 21 year-old left back Massadio Haidara will get starts tonight at Gillingham, with the Newcastle manager mentioning both young players today in one of his interviews.

Alan Pardew Villa Park

Alan Pardew – disappointed with FA Cup defeat last January

Rolando has looked great when he has played for the first team,  but he was left out of the squad on Saturday, which may be a decent hint that he will start tonight.

Massadio Haidara started most of the pre-season games, but then Paul Dummett started the two league games, but we expect Massadio to get a start tonight.

This is what manager Alan Pardew has said today:

“I think Rolando kind of had a baptism of fire – I put him right in at the deep end,” “I’m going to use him this year because I really like him – we think he has great, great talent.”

“But this was our first away game, and it was a tough call on the bench.” “We had a little feeling about Dummy (Dummett), so I needed Sadio (Massadio) on the bench.”

“We decided to keep him off, but he will be in and around this team for sure all season.” “I think one of the most disappointing games for me last year was Cardiff,”

“We should have won in the FA Cup and we lost it in the last sort of eight or nine minutes,” “That was our last cup game, and we need to react to that.”

“We need to get a win.” “I will probably take the same 20 players that I took to Villa to Gillingham.”

With the Cardiff City game in January, we seemed to be strolling to a 1-0 win with a goal from Cisse after 62 minutes,  but then Cardiff scored two goals through their subs – Craig Noone after 73 minutes and then Fraizer Campbell after 80 minutes to win the game.

Their first win in 10 games by the way. 🙁

We have done very poorly in the FA Cup since Alan Pardew joined the club, and the furthest we have advanced is the 4th round – when we lost at Brighton two years ago.

Last year in the Capital One Cup we actually won two ties at Morecambe and Leeds United (both 2-0), before we lost at home to Manchester City 2-0 after extra time – so we did reasonably well last time out in this competition.

And it’s the same 20 man squad for tonight’s game as on Saturday – but Alan will make some changes and give some of the subs on Saturday a start tonight.

We have to win this game.

Note: Kieron Hubbuck will be participating in the Great North Run this year for the MNDA, the Motor Neurone Disease Association or ALS – which is an incurable disease. Kieron’s Aunt was diagnosed with MNDA some months back, and that’s one reason Kieran is attempting to raise funds.

You can contribute to MNDA on Kieron’s Just Giving page. Thanks.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM

DownUnderMag
    Newcastle United fan
    9 hours ago
    First line sums it up – “SOLO” goal. He is a selfish player that is wasting his talent by not having better work-rate and not involving his team-mates more. As much as he is a live-wire and can turn a game, he is too often a passenger or a liability as he tries to do too much too often.

21 . • Reply

JD Sports? × Sponsored

Leazes Ender
    Newcastle United fan
    7 hours ago
    I think you’ve been suckered!

4 . • Reply

Sunsilk
    fan
    5 hours ago
    The aim of the game is to score, whoever, however it doesn’t matter. The fact it was a solo goals means he saw an opportunity and went for it. He created his own luck. That to me is a character which has a determination to win. Pity the rest of our squad from last half of the season didn’t have any what Ben Arfa had.
    I pay money to see people like Ben Arfa play, not to watch a team stand around and kick a ball like statues. I can go down my local park for that.

• SuperShearer

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I know it’s just paper rumours at this point in time but find it mildly amusing that Arsenal are being linked with Wellbeck yet some Newcastle fans think he’s not good enough for us. He really is and would love to have him here.

• Average_Contents

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM

What’s this “little feeling about dummett” then parsnip? He wasn’t fully fit? Feeling a little under the weather? Didn’t trust him 100%? Don’t fcuking play your favourites then you dunce!

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:03 AM

– that’s the fact. Alan Pardew should understand this very well.

The goal is to score goals and win a match. Without flair players like benny the team will not be able to enjoy playing football as much.

Alan Pardew a training hardworking running athletes not football players. He should just leave.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:03 AM

“We have done very poorly in the FA Cup since Alan Pardew joined the club”

That’s right, Ed.

Our record breaking results have been on the back of being straight out of the cups. So their underwhelming philosophy of lowering expectations and concentrating on the league league is nonsense. We are very poor there as well.

No more brainwashing for the gullible.

There is NOTHING wrong with trying to win a cup and also playing good football in the league.

Do not let these conmen try and fool you into thinking otherwise.

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM

DownUnderMag
    Newcastle United fan
    5 hours ago
    Don’t misunderstand, I would love to see Benny back in the side, but played in a formation and position that utilises his attacking flair without causing issues for the rest of the side by not putting the graft in. But pardew’s insistence on using him as an out-and-out winger rather than up front in a role just off another striker means he isn’t going to be the player needed to get back into the side. Flair players make the game worth watching, BUT need to be used in the correct way if they can’t be made to track back etc… Whether he has the ability to play as the number 10, in a Bellamy role, is open to debate, but putting him in a position where if he beats one player he can shoot is surely better than in a midfield role where if he loses the ball it gives the opposition too much of a chance, while making him have to beat 6 players to even have a look at goal. Pardew is to blame for this mess, but HBA is a lazy selfish player….that isn’t to say he isn’t worth watching!

• martoon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Pardew is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. People on this blog are always crying out to give the young players a chance. Well surely against Gillingham this is an ideal opportunity but if Pardew does he will be accused of not wanting to win it.
    I think Ed called it right – start with a few youngsters and if things go wrong make changes at half time.

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Pardew Just leave.
    let someone whom can man manage do the job.

Pardew time is way over….

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Big chance of an upset tonight I reckon!

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I hate this lowering of expectations bullsh*t! What does the board take us for? mugs!?

We’re not stupid we’re know our chances are slim when it comes to silverware but bloody hell give it a right go, anything can happen. We don’t need this negativity and cautious tripe before a ball is kicked in the cup!

Pardew grow a pair ffs and be positive! Your negativity rubs off on the players, don’t you realize you tool.

Pardew you should say something along the lines of; “We should be giving Gillingham hell, they’ll try to make it tough but I believe this determined group of players will want to have some fun out there, play well and get the the points in the bag so we can progress into the next round. I would expect nothing less”.

PS..Is the game on TV or on a Stream??

• Lynxie

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Pottz:

A cup upset would be Newcastle WINNING…….

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Martoon.

As we need to gel all our new players, it is therefore better to start with our strongest team right?

After all Pardew has been covering his ass with…give me 10 games to enable the team to gel.

• lesh

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Ffs, when are the Pardew haters going to wake up to the reality?

Hounding him out’ll result in another Ashley bollix of an appointment – some has-been who’ll do what he’s told for a pittance of a salary.

Beware of what you wish for or we might just see Kinnear or some other dinosaur in the hot seat.

Ashley won’t recruit with an eye to competing with the big boys, he’ll want more of the same – survival and that’s all.

Caveat emptor.

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Classic Lynxie…I was wondering what response I would get to that comment

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I’d play

Krul
    Janmaat mbiwa colo/satka haidara
    Anita
    Hba. Abeid. Aarons
    chucky. Perez

• londonderry toon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM

my team for tonight gk; Krul
    rb;Janmaat cb;Tayor cb;Collo lb;Haidara
    cm;Bigi cm; abeid
    rw;Oba lw;Arrons
    cf;Chucky cf;Rivere
    the reson i’d play rivere he needs a goal to kick start him get abit of confendence plus if both him and chucky start in same team then we can judge for ourselfs whos the better NO9

• beermonkey

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

the clubs stance on clubs I not gonna change any time soon I don’t get why they feel the need to tell the world
    and I am sure pards is right with other clubs not wanting to do well in them, more so with the new tv

I can see us fielding a very strong team tonight not because of a desire to well in a cup but more to with the fact our offensive players need games and goals

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

lesh

Ashley would be better off firing Pardew and using his same ‘stepping stone strategy’ for up and coming managers as he does with the players he buys 😉

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Londonderry I like the thinking

Does anybody else think obertan would thrive in Italy with a slower less physical game?

• the truth will out

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM

better some old shit
    i would take anyone than parcrap
    fresh face fresh ideas

• londonderry toon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Pardew PB would love HBAto play myself tonight but cant c pardew backing down, it’d be like hes admitting he was wrong

• Mickalonius

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Spot on Lesh, some here are living in cloud cukoo land thinking that our next appointment is going to fix everything. Our last two managers were hardly world beaters were they ? In my view Pardew should be given this season with support and then we will see whats what. Some here though will moan either way win or lose

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Lesh, fear of the unknown is exactly that. Pardew holds the joint worst run of results ever at the club. Is someone else going to break that in a hurry?

The obese one appointed a catastrophic Kinnear, but thankfully he went and Charnley has got in 9 players.

I’d like to think that Carr would be consulted on a suitable appointment which could get the best out of the players. I don’t think that referral would achieve the same level of dross and record breaking results.

• newunited1

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM

PLEASE READ!!!!

I know this is non-newcastle related but i am RAISING FUNDS for the MNDA as I am doing the Great North Run in just over a week. I have been struggling to raise funds and would MASSIVELY appreciate anyone donating to help me reach my target of £200.

The ALS ICE WATER BUCKET challenge has been in the spotlight lately, but MNDA is the same thing but just in our country.

I have been greatly affected by it as my Auntie has been diagnosed with the disease and I want to do what I can to help raise funds for the charity.

PLEASE donate if you can.

Here is a link to my Just Giving page, please donate anything you can it would be greatly appreciated, its for a great cause. https://www.justgiving.com/Kieron-Hubbuck/

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Pardew’s prolific

Obertan is pants mate. Not mentally tough enough at the top level. No matter where he plays.

• londonderry toon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Pardew PB he can go theive somewhere else anywhere but here lol only joking but part of me belevies if oba was not there BEN26 would be closer to first team

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Londonderry my personal pick rather than what paedew would do. Simply because I have my doubts about Ben arfa and I’d like to see how he would go about proving Doubters wrong.
    Want to see aarons and haidara tearing it up on the left with nice overlaps etc.

Obertan on the right is fine by me in this game because I want to see if he plays like pre season or like himself

• toon22

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Diego Simeone seems to do ok at Atlético Madrid

Constantly has his players sold to the highest bidder,competes with much bigger clubs both on and off the field,low transfer budget.

All sounds familiar apart from the fact he hasnt managed to run up records defeats and a whole host of worst since ….. etc

• lesh

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Pottz

You know as well as I do that Ashley won’t take a punt on a young manager.

He wouldn’t risk flirting with relegation.

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Pottz I agree he’s got no confidence or enough intelligence to play at the top level. I just think that the way he played pre season was maybe ti do with a slightly slower paced game. He should never be at a top club. I just think he’d be better off at an Italian equivalent of west ham stature wise

• martoon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Pottz @12 – Sounds logical BUT if Pardew does that and we pick up a couple of injuries to key players with some, lets say, over enthusiastic tackles from Gillingham then what?

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Lesh

And he isn’t risking relegation with Pardew?

• Ian Toon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Lilongwe- Your Judging on past form. The quote I referred you to was headlined ” Pardew in bullish mood”. I questioned your interpretation of a specific quote, as to what Pardew had said in response to a question from Luke Edwards, who incidentally has previously been banned by the club from attending press converences.

My reading of it would be to suggest that given a stronger squad with some depth that we are better equipped to have a real say in the cups this season . What was also mentioned in the press conference was that Pardew also said he would like to be the manager who ends the Clubs’ 45 year old wait for a major trophy.

• beermonkey

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM

lesh

given charnley seems to be in charge would he not be the man to draw up the candidate list for a new manager

as we know Ashley leaves his managers alone when he trusts them he has proved he can deal and bring in players who is to say he cant with a manager

although I think charnley pards get on well and I don’t see pards leaving any time soon

• Go toon gooooo

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM

In order to win the game there is need for scoring at least one goal.At this moment with all circumstances in Newcastle team it is hard to believe that only one goal will come.Sad but probably true.Alan Pardew out.The team is 10 times weaker than last season.Go Parde with Anita,Williamson,Dummet in first eleven and Sissoko up front and you will relegate again this team.Mistakes from the second half of the last season aren’t changed at all.Loser.

• martoon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Also I’m still not sure if this game counts as Willo’s suspension – anybody know for definite?

• londonderry toon

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Pardews PB agree about the doubts but all show man have there doubters lad but there still fun to watch i wish pardew would just play him if not for us then to try get him in the shop window get some money in

• Mickalonius

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Toon2 – Simone just got an 8 match ban for aggressive behaviour towards an official…

• expatmag

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM

For the 44 people who voted for a draw in tonights game, I think the rules state that there needs to be a result tonight after extra time or penalties if necessary.

• Pottz

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Martoon that’s also true.

We are gonna pick up injuries whoever we play. I would say the likes of Stoke, West Ham and Leicester are just as physical as Gillingham.

The top teams like Man City, Liverpool etc are also physical teams to play against in a different type of way.

Their slick passing games require our players to do More running and stretching which causes fatigue and muscle injuries.

Gotta play a good core of your best players whenever possible I reckon.

1 2 3 7