The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Central Midfielder – I’m Really Happy At Newcastle

9:23 am, Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 134 Comments

Mehdi Abeid made only his 6th appearance for the Newcastle first team last night at Gillingham,  after being at the club for three years, but the 22 year-old has looked good in pre-season and he benefited greatly from his loan spell at Greek club Panathinaikos last season, where he played 38 times and scored 10 goals.

Mehdi Abeid Gillingham +v+Newcastle+United+anzqjQow_tpl

Mehdi Abeid in action last night

Newcastle beat Gillingham 1-0 at the Priestfield Stadium last night, although we had to rely on an own goal from former Sunderland player John Egan to advance.

The Algerian U23 International fitted in well last night, in what was a very decent performance from the lads – and the team did exactly what was needed.

Mehdi was asked about his future at Newcastle after the game:

“Of course, it’s nice to be back at Newcastle.” “It was a great season for me at Panathinaikos. I have to keep going, and do what I did last season.”

“I’m happy to be back. I’m in a big team, so I’m really happy.” “I want to learn and improve. I want to show to the coach what I can do.”

“It was great for me – I like to be on the ball to pass and help my team,” “I have to keep going in that way.”  “The most important thing was to win, and we did,”

“We showed some character, and we have to keep going and improve game by game.” “I think we were in control of the game and played well.”

That’s a good attitude being shown there by Mehdi – and he seems like a very good professional.

When Mehdi first arrived on Tyneside from Lens as a free agent, he immediately impressed and made the trip to America in the summer of 2011, but then he fell out of favor and was almost sold in the summer for £300K to Panathinaikos.

But Mehdi showed he can get the job done for Newcastle in central midfield,  and he had a good workmanlike-like game last night for his 6th appearance for the Magpies.

We hope that Mehdi can come on this season, as he did so dramatically in Greece last season, and you’ve got to give this lad credit for showing some guts and revitalizing his career at Newcastle, when all seemed lost last summer.

We’d like to see a lot more first team appearances from the powerfully built lad this season – the more the better.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Capital One Cup · League Cup · Loan Moves · Mehdi Abeid · Newcastle News

134 responses so far ↓

• 1 deeps // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Guys do you think arsenal will survive besiktas tonight??
    I was really impressed with besiktas in Turkey..played an open game with arsenal and completely outplayed them..I can see an upset happen tonight..

And it would be good to see our very own debuchy drop out of champions league and go straight into the europa league ;-)

• 2 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Rotonda heights

I am trying not to be negative in favour of being constructive about the tactics deployed, but I already know that my words can have no effect and I will inevitably begin to reproduce the P45due banner. What do you think are the positives from our first three competitive matches?

• 3 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:27 AM

T sage

My only concern at the moment is missing chances. We seem to be creating enough of them, but whoever they fall to seem to fluff their lines. Even when we manage to hit the target it seems to be at the keeper.

• 4 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I have not seen enough of mehdi to work out what he is for :D

Is he a Tiote type destructor? Is he a distributor? A power-runner? Box to Box? A combination of some or all the above? Answers on a postcard please

• 5 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM

markacus

It is a concern, the last few years we’ve had either Remy or Ba, both clinical and now haven’t got that clinical forward…could be a problem as we don’t create many ‘clear’ chances so we need to be clinical.

• 6 RTWDicB // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Sounded like Abeid pretty much ran the game last night. Not sure of the stats, but from the commentary seems like he didn’t put a foot wrong.

• 7 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Markaccus @4

From the radio commentary last night he seemed to be more productive than Sissoko in the midfield role. He was doing exactly what you would expect of a central player, putting his foot in and distributing passes, only he was also very wasteful with shots and free kicks but that will improve.

• 8 Lost Plot // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

You would think we’ve been beaten 4-0 the way the comments are drooling in lol

Let’s wake up .. We put a healthy squad out last night (shows ambition) regardless of result : Gillingham’s keeper was the star of the night as we blasted on target most occasions throughout an opposition that we’re having there biggest game of the year (FACT)

We’ve got 2 squads here at the Toon that is making hard decisions for a manager to select from which is what any manager wants

Yes .. Pardew Has 2 Black & White Army’s

H’way

• 9 toonking // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM

LVG- sounds pardew like to me.
    “I am not shocked because I know what can happen,” he said. “A new team is not built in one month.

“I also think Milton Keynes played very well, very aggressively and they had a little bit of luck with the goals.”

Van Gaal said he wanted to look at “the second team and youth education” after Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Sunderland and would analyse the mistakes which “gave the match away”.

He said: “We made too many errors. I have no regrets about my selection but the changes were risky.

“I changed the way we played in the first half. We played one versus one over the whole pitch and when you see that. we created a lot of chances, but we were not lucky.”

• 10 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM

70TWO

I think the plus points from the first 3 games are we have some very good players. Mind you I always thought Cisse, Ben Arfa and MYM were good too.

I think we have the potential to put out a cracking team if the manager could work with players, instead of jettisoning them.

We even the luxury of playing SDJ as a false number 9 till Cisse is back.

When all fit this is a hell of a team

Krul

Janmart MYM ?? Haidara

Sissoko Abeid / Tiote Colback

Ben Arfa SDJ Cabella

Subs: Riviere, Cisse, Chucky, Perez, Aarons etc,

• 11 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM

On last nights performance how do you justify relegating HBA to the reserves and then put Obertan in the first team? Again from the commentary, it was hardly a window shop performance but again a revelation of his inconsistencies. Providing driving runs down the flanks and the occassional cross, but also giving the ball away and little awareness.

• 12 toonking // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM

stats for our game

possession gil 37% NUFC 63%
    shots gil 3 NUFC 10
    on target gil 1 NUFC 5
    corners gil 3 NUFC 7

• 13 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

stats read diddly squat
    goals and points ,wins are evrything

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

M

His goals tally in Greece suggests he likes to get forward a lot. i know it was only a team at the bottom of a fledgling league 1 table but he could just turn out to be a carr special if given a chance.

• 15 HoboToon // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Just watch, we are gonna draw citeh again, scum or brighton haha

• 16 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM

T sage

I suppose if players were less reluctant to get into the box the chances might become better ones. Cant see us signing a clinical finisher now.

70Two

Cheers. Sounds like a promissing balanced MF. Heres hoping he comes through for us.

• 17 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Rotonda

Hopefully he gets enough games. If sissoko is out of form and tiote leaves we may end up banking on him!

• 18 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM

markacus

We never get many players in the box under pardew, not in the last 3 and a half years, so can’t see that changing soon.

That’s why it’s important we get a finisher.

I think we will still score enough with what we have, but would be nice to have more.

• 19 beermonkey // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM

did any1 goto the match last night

glad we one but its not good it came via an own goal
    would like some info if at all pos

• 20 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Rotonda heights

Agree they are good players. Pardew would say that it is down to injuries that he struggles to put the pieces together into a coordinated team, hence the appearance that players operating out of position. I often wonder why he persists on playing an isolated striker rather than utilising the plethora of attacking midfielders. Perhaps this is due to the tunneled vision of a ‘goal getter’ and the perception that Geordies must have a God like no.9.

• 21 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Markaccus

Would be very positive if he could perform equally well against Premier league opponents, even just ‘lower’ ones to begin with. With the current injuries he could potentially make the side against Palace.

• 22 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM

70TWO

Don’t have a problem with a lone striker per se, Clive Allen was fantastic at it, just as long as the MF are getting up in support, rather than the non – movement in that area that we’ve seen in the last 3.5 years..

• 23 beermonkey // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I see woodman and Armstrong have been called up to the England under 18s surprised Aarons not had a call I did read Jamaica were going to get in contact with about playing for them

• 24 catchy in norway // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

transfer

and that is the reason why we don’t score many goals,

unless it’s a corner or free kick we only normally have one player in the box , and he is marked out of the game ,

people asking for a proven goal scorer , why not use cisse , he has proved in the past that he knows where the goals is , all he lacks is chances and support , when he had cabaye and HBA feeding him he was on fire, since then folk expect the same results with 1 him playing right wing or 2 up front all alone feeding of scraps,

rvp is one of the best in the world, but last season , he was poor , the manager played defensive football and starved him of the ball, he ended up taking the huff with moyes, the same way ba did when he was moved wide left with no affect,

people are saying chances are being created , but I don’t remember many chances being created for our main forward , so with so few chances how can he be judged ?

our very own shearer struggled under ghulit , ghulit had him running channels , the first thing SBR said to shearer was stop that , I want you in the box , we will get the ball to you, so far I see rivi running everywhere but at goal ,

we need more bodies up the pitch making space and putting balls in the box

then judge him / them

• 25 spudzzz // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM

very strong starting line up for newcastle in the first round of the capital one cup !! biggest surprise of the season for me…Does that actually mean we might take one of the cups seriously !

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM

70Two,
    Sorry had to nip to a meeting. To answer your question re the nickname Chucky, it was apparently given to him by his grandparents as he was a little horror as a child. I presume, although do not know for certain, it will be a reference to the Childsplay films where Chucky was the killer doll.

• 27 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM

catchy

We never do create many chances but we do create some and in the past under pardew he has had remy and ba (both capable of taking a wider variety of chances than cisse in my opinion).

Without a clinical finisher (we might have one, not sure yet) Pardew might be in bother.

• 28 lesh // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Rotonda heights

I’m certainly not being an advocate of Pardew’s tactics or spin.

It’s just that in some posters’ eyes, we can do nothing right – we could win a game by a country mile and still Pardew’d get slated.

He’s not the best by any means but the fact is, we’ve got him and he’s central to Ashley’s plans for the club – keep us in the Prem, reap the rewards, spend as little as possible and see a nice cash surplus build up thus enabling Ashley to call in the £120m or whatever he’s owed and sell up at a price that’s realistic.

As said, we’re stuck with Pardew unless he fouls up big time so it looks as though all the ‘Pardew out’ shouts are a complete waste of effort and we’ve just got to be patient, and hope.

As far as polls are concerned, they’ll never have any great credibility on this site until there’s a mechanism put in place that’ll only allow one vote per person. That’s near impossible without cost in Ed’s time and I think we’d all agree that he’s got better things to do with it.

So, there now, that’s today’s rant out of the way.

Lost Plot – you’re asking the near impossible if you hoping to see that Pardew and Ashley will be cut some slack.

Pardew bashing’s become an obsession with some of our fellow readers.

• 29 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

My team for Palace would be:
    ——Riviere ———- Cabella
    ——————Siem
    ——Abeid ———– Sissoko
    —————–Anita
    Haidarra – Collo – Willo – Janmat
    ——————Krul

Play a midfield diamond and give Riviere some relief from leading the line, opting instead to stretch the oppositions defence across the field and allow holes to develop for the midfield to play through. The full backs are also able to provide width although their main role is to defend. I could see Anita and Abeid swapping positions but would like the formers experience to provide defensive cover.

• 30 lesh // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM

There’s one thing for sure and that’s that there’ll be no striker coming in this window.

Why? Cisse’s not far away from fitness so Pardew’ll have been told to make do with what he’s got available to him and the situation’ll be reviewed next window.

By which time, we’ll have nowt to play for apart from avoiding the drop.

• 31 beermonkey // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM

lesh

are you expecting a chunk of the debt to have been repaid when the accounts come out next year

• 32 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM

catchy in norway

Was just thinking of you and your ‘goals from inside the box’ stat, or the lack there of and last night was a prime example of wingers having nothing to hit.

• 33 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Cheers, thought it must be a reference to the film character but was linking it to the little man Armstrong….it must be the high fore head!

• 34 Slank // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM

RTWDicB @ 6

‘..Sounded like Abeid pretty much ran the game last night…’

That’s how I heard it on the radio. The two commentators said that he completely overshadowed Sissoko.

Abeid must now be in close contention for a starting place in midfield but replacing who ?

• 35 Go toon gooooo // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Mehdi Abeid is a good player and deserves place in Newcastle team.Strong player,plays with both legs and if he battles with Colback for the same position then Colback needs to be on the bench.I think that Roman Amalfitano was talent also but he was unlucky because Pardew wants players like Sissoko and Anita to create the game and that is silly.At this moment Mehdi will be excellent replacement of extraordinary player Remy Cabella.And batlle for other position-defensive midfielder is Tiote,Sissoko,Colback for one player to play and other two on the bench.And the problem is that disoriented Pardew will play all three players at once.And Newcastle will have zero goals.Who will pierce through opponents defense?No one.11 players are already there.

• 36 catchy in norway // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Lesh

can you list the things pardew is good at or even adequate at

I no you are not a fan of his , but in order for me to understand , may be you should point it out,

• 37 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

he should replace the man who cant head the ball sissy koko

• 38 Slank // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Go toon gooooo @ 35

‘..plays with both legs…’

Wow, that’s relief.

Can’t possibly have players with only one leg.

• 39 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

i thought at least he could wipe his own butt

• 40 lesh // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

catchy in norway

No, I can’t readily list Pardew’s qualities – they’re too numerous!

All I’m saying Catchy is that unless he cocks up big time, we’re stuck with him so all the bleating in the world’ll not get rid of him.

• 41 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I was once slaughtered on this very blog for suggesting that Pardew plays percentages rather than football.

To me it seems he would rather stifle the opposition and stop them from scoring knowing that even on a bad day a team will create a chance or two. If we can stop the other team from scoring and take our half chances then we have won.

I think that our scoring statistics since he has been in charge (and his stats at other clubs may I add) suggest what I believe is true. He sets out not to concede in the hope that when we get our chance we will score, thus playing percentages.

He is a manager that relies on luck or individual brilliance rather than one who can create a team that plays good football and tactically can outplay other teams. When was the last time we scored an outstanding team goal that saw intricate passing neautralise our opponents, where a key ball was fed through and finished with aplomb?

Perhaps Stoke at home when Cabaye fed Cisse? Can’t remember.

As I have said before these rare occurrences where we play well can be expected. I do not know how to throw darts, but if I throw 200 I can almost guarantee some will hit the bullseye. That is Pardew explained perfectly.

Looking at his comments from last night where he says that he hopes ‘we get a break’ it appears to me that he does in fact hope we get that bit of luck he needs as he does not have the tactical prowess to do anything about how poor we are at creating and converting chances.

His apologists will often point to the fact that is the players that are to blame. That it isn’t his fault that they can’t pass or score.

If I get 2 chances in a game to play a key pass and I fail both times is that my fault or the fault of the tactical master who is only giving me 2 opportunities to pass the ball. No matter how world class you are you need 10 opportunities a game sometimes, the pressure is really on you if you know that you will have 2 chances to make a difference. Same with strikers.

That’s why we need someone like Ben Arfa. He is the one person who is possible to break free of Pardew’s chains and do something extraordinary. Yes he will fail a lot of the times but at least he tries something to get us on the front foot. If Benny was played higher up the pitch he would have a much higher success rate. 2 season ago he had the best (or 2nd best) dribbling stats in Europe. This coincided with Pardews 4-3-3 that he played for 6 games in a row (which we won). And this only came about thanks to injuries.

Putting Benny on the right of a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 is relegating him to the middle of the pitch where he has to more or less take on an entire team, diluting him and us.

I think it is fair to say that the same can be said of Cabella for the most part in the first 2 games. He looks to me to have too much to do and Pards is waiting for the bit of magic to get him and us out of trouble.

Honestly we need Ben Arfa and we need a new coach to have any chance of actually threatening to control a game and score more than we conced (something we have never done under Pardew).

Again the PDL will point out that ‘everywhere he has been Ben Arfa has fallen out with his managers’. Well I point this out to you.

Everywhere he has been Pardew has either failed, fallen out with players or authority figures, caused gross misconduct and controversy after controversy, broken negative records and/or had the fan base turned against him. All whilst showing no ability or potential to be a great manager and offering little in the way of hope that he can progress.

I’d take a wild card that can actually do something over a arrogant selfish idiot that has no ability whatsoever, everyday of the week.

• 42 mindshaft // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Hopefully we’ll take the league cup seriously – its our best chance of actually winning something as the bigger clubs rarely care about it and use it to bed in youngsters until the later rounds ( if they haven’t been knocked out ), saying that we will need to score to win so we’re pretty much f7cked

• 43 Go toon gooooo // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Slank
    Yes there is players with one leg.Colback-one legged player,Delph also one legged player,Gareth Barry one legged player also etc,etc.

• 44 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Beattie, great post.

• 45 toonking // Aug 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM

lesh
    you couldn’t have said it better.

• 46 JamesToon // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM

beatroll thats a fantastic post and one of the best i’ve seen.

In no way am i trying to say that pardew is a great manager and can provide us with mouthwatering football, i’m just saying that there’s no way pardew will get sacked if we lose against palace or any other team in the next 2-3 games, thus we may as well get behind the team and manager as we defo know he’s here to stay for at least another 5-6 games, if he fails then you have every right to say to me that we shouldn’t have backed him. Don’t get me wrong, i’d take de boer over pardew, but the only chance of that happening is if pardew’s luck runs out and we go on a major dip in form up until around october/november time.

• 47 catchy in norway // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM

come on, obertan a winger?

remy was in our team last year , he also contributed to the goals scored out side the box, goofy scored most of his in box,

ok I’m just thinking out aloud here, is there a video out , highlights of the season , there used to be these videos , if there is I’m betting that when you see the the goals , you will see the problem of lack of support

• 48 lochinvar // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Report from last nights Celtic match, “Virgil van Dijk headed wide from close range and the Dutch defender also had a late shot saved”.
    Get him in – a perfect fit with our forwards and Pardew’s tactics for how not to win games !

• 49 catchy in norway // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Beattie

great post

• 50 stuart no9 // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:20 AM

sorry, but i’m not getting fooled by the thinking behind pardew putting a pretty strong side out last night.
    yeah if you want you can believe that the meaning behind putting a full side out was to convinve the fans he is taking this cup seriously and he wants to progress in it, i dont believe that for one minute.IMO, he put a strong side out simply coz he needed the win BADLY.

Putting a lesser side out could have meant 3 games without a win , this on paper , would have looked disastarous to the fans and could well have led to chants for his sacking again., he knew with a full side he could win this game – e ven yhough we still couldnt score.

They have openly admitted these cups are not important , a hindrance that threatens our league status, so why the change of heart all of a sudden , why have the goalposts changed in what is important or not? they havnt , they are the same , we wont win that cup . Watch in the next round, i bet if we have a few wins in the prem under our belt by then , the pressure will be off, and he will field a weaker side, a one one that could get beat. Pardew knew he needed that win for him, not the club or the fans , simply for him . HE needed it.

• 51 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Beatroll25

Glad to see you are thick skinned. Agree with your opinion of Pardew and am interested to see this season who will be at the club the longest AP or HBA? IMO Cabella is the new HBA as AP clearly thinks he can do without him and also the same storyline is likely to occur. In the sense that Cabella will be asked to play a deeper more defensive role, struggle to get forward and loose the ball more often than not, doing his confidence in and making him less of a player – otherwise known as Pardewed.

AP does not have the tactical ability to utilise the old adage ‘attack is the best form of defence’. He interprets defensive solidity as controlling the game and possession as offensive ‘fret’, he is vulnerable to not living up to his own ego and is unable to adapt or coach intricate attacking passing. My only hope is that Lee Charnleys long term aim is to replace him before the end of his long contract, in order to make the club prosper. AP has been necessary and could have perhaps done better with more financial backing, however fundamentally he is limited and another Coach could be more successful in the same parameters.

• 52 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Lesh

Regrettably you are right. Ash would have to be vaguely interested or give a damn to actually do the right thing and sack pardew.

So yes we have a manager by default, not by merit or achiievement. Are there worse managers than pardew? well i guess that pool is dwindling now that JFK is no longer viable!

No, realistically we can not change anything but when there is s–t going on that affects one of, if not your main interests in life, to remain quiet about it is difficult.

Didn’t someone once say that for evil to prosper it just takes good people to do or say nothing.

• 53 pawl250 // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Why is everyone getting excited over Abeid?

He was playing against GILLINGHAM! I would like to think he looks impressive against that standard of team.

As I would like to think Haidara does.

I think the worrying thing again is the lack of goals from the team and against a lower league opposition.

Riviere for me simply does not look like a finisher, or atleast not of 15 goals a season.

Team for Palace

————————- Krul
    Janmaat – Williamson – Coloccini – Haidara
    ————– Sissoko – Colback
    Cabella ———– De Jong ——— Gouffran
    ———————- Ferryra

Bench – Elliot, Mbiwa, Dummett, Anita, Obertan, Aarons, Riviere

Abeid for me is no better than those above.

• 54 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Beattie

Very much agree.

I think the problem with the way we play is that by being so cautious we invite too much pressure on ourselves, meaning when we crack we split right open and shit 3/4 too often.

I would love a manager with the philosophy of a pochettino, it would make sense from a fans point of view (entertaining, more successful football) and for Ashley as he gets more for his money and yougnsters can play, develop and be sold fro big money.

• 55 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

70TWO

Spot on, all these players like the aforementioned Cisse, Ben Arfa, MYM etc don’t become poor overnight by coincidence. They are made to look ineffective by a Sunday pub team manager.

• 56 pawl250 // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If Sissoko is lazy we should leave him out of the next game and replace him with Anita/Abeid/Tiote

He is not looking the player I though he would be, he just looks lazy, not making the effort to chase a ball only a few yards away from him.

Sorry but he cannot do that in the centre of the pitch. For me on Tiotes return either Sissoko or Gouffran is dropped (Obviously Gouffran being dropped would see Tiote CDM and Sissoko out wide right).

Still we need a striker, or atleast give someone else a chance to actually score a goal because Riviere looks like a donkey everytime he shoots.

• 57 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

any body watch the highlights hahah its on facebook keep a look out for krul the juggler

• 58 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Sage

and shit 3/4 too often !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes if only we could get our shits on target!!!

Agree about Pochetinno, beautiful to watch football. and he would instil that style in any group of players, not just a top 6 team.

• 59 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM

catchy in norway @47

Do you mean ‘lack of support’ as in there not being more alternatives in the box other than a single striker?

If so, I am in agreement and it is a major contributing factor to the lack of goals, along with the lack of dynamic forward passing and interchange in exchange for defensive stability and possession. Both serious omissions and a hindrance to the number of goals scored, the very basis of the game.

• 60 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM

rotonda

I think you can level some of the blame to the management/how the team is set up for cisse and ben arfa’s effectiveness but not for mbiwa.

He hasn’t proven himself in the league before, so although it might be the management’s fault, it’s not definitely their fault. (I like mbiwa but think he is positionally poor at times)

• 61 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM

James Toon

sadly i can’t see pardew’s luck running out. Seemingly he can do whatever he wants and ash doesn’t give one!

• 62 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM

70two

Fully agree and being saying that myself.

It’s like the defence and forwards don’t link at all….they don’t properly support each other, there is no interchange, players just get back in numbers, not always where or when they are needed.

• 63 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM

sage

I think the most damning thing is the total lack of COHESION. No 1-2’s, triangles, overlapping, going beyond the man with the ball. Essentially NO fluid, free flowing pass and move, attacking and exciting to watch football.

Imagine the polar opposite of KK’s entertainers and you have Pardew. Ironic really for a man who takes no risks that he allegedly has gambling debts!

• 64 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

pawl250 @56

Abeid was playing in a whole team playing lowly Gillingham, his stand out performance does not mean he is the next Rob Lee but he should be given the opportunity to carry on against Palace, build on his experience and confidence at Premiership level for a few matches.

The problem with Siem DJ in the heart of a 4231 formation is that he is not as defensive as Cabaye and therefore more responsibility falls on the wingers. Whilst Cabella and Goufran are willing runners, there energy is best served in attack. IMO if Siem plays we need three in midfield, especially against good PL sides.

• 65 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Doubt pardew would be brave enough to try 433, but if he did, i wonder who his front 3 would actually be.

• 66 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM

@Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM

adding on to your statements..

i can’t even remember the last time we played some decent football.

it doesn’t even have to be a whole game. i don’t even remember some minutes of decent play from us in a single match.

we are just headless chickens all over running about..

• 67 beermonkey // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM

john tudor

you got a link for it

cheers

• 68 catchy in norway // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

yes that is what I mean

people get confused , they think that keeping the ball and passing it sideways is the same as good football,

I’m not expecting us to be like this , but when Henry was at arsenal , they played beautiful football , tried to beat the whole team and pass it into the net at the end of a team move ,

but in the flip side , we might not score many goals, but we do get some amazing wonder goals,
    but that isn’t coached , that’s just individual ability , something pardew relies on

for all the people still against HBA , HBA has save pardew more times than enough , through his skill , not team work,

• 69 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Who is this Beattie guy I keep getting called?

Oh, I remeber, he was a great man, I am not worthy of such a title.

How lovely he was. Intelligent, witty and even though faceless I presume he was handsome.

Still I always preferred ketbsbia9. Now there was a true man.

• 70 Rake // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This blog is delightful at times. I don’t really see how anyone disagree’s on here. It’s plain to see AP’s tactics to stifle the opponents and score from our limited chances. It’s always been that way and it always will be.

West Ham played some good football although against a poor Palace side. Which is fairly interesting as I’m sure people on here would say he and Pardew play a similar outdated style of football.

Would people settle for a team that stifled the opposition if we passed the ball better from back to front creating better chances? rather than a few half chances?

• 71 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM

One of the great things about Twitter is sometimes you don’t have to go looking for points to back up a belief as people do it for you.

I just found this gem:

Mike Ashley Lies ?@MikeAshleyLies

Pardew has taken a #nufc team averaging 2 Goals per Game at St James Park and reduced them to one averaging 0.6

• 72 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM

ilovetoon

The sad thing is you could almost see at the flick of a switch the difference a positive coach who cared more about the team than himself could make. KK and SBR, god rest his soul, gave me enormous pleasure watching football. pardew is killing it for me now though.

• 73 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM

rake

It would be an improvement, but still think the best way to play and achieve anything is to look to outplay the opponent, very few teams win/get high in their leagues by playing a containing style of football.

I don’t think we could dominate every side or win/be veery high in the league, but we could do better I think, could at least be challenging an everton say.

I don’t mind how we played against man city, cautious, probing, creating the odd chance that could have gotten us a draw or win, going all out probably would have got us spanked…but against lesser teams we should try to stamp our authority on them.

• 74 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM

It’s also at the point where I want to see a good manager, see if our players are as good as we think.

• 75 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM

For me it is about dominating the lesser teams and coming up with a tactical plan for the teams that will dominate us.

I don’t mind Swansea having 60% possession if we can break it down in midfield and counter attack with numbers and kill the game off.

Pardew has one tactic and whether we have 4 in midfield and have none of the ball or 5 in midfield and have plenty, it is always the same.

Defend heroically and if we can snatch a goal chances are we will get a result.

• 76 expatmag // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM

For all those who are wondering why Pardew and Co. are still running the club, the simple answer is as follows:

How much do you think it would cost Ashley to:

(A) pay off the remaining 6 years of the contracts of Pardew Carver Stone and Woodman…….a rough estimate of 10 million pounds

(B) replace aforesaid staff with compotent manager/coaches from other clubs are pay said clubs compensation……..estimated 5 million pounds

Ashley will remember how he got burned by sacking Allardyce and his entourage

• 77 martoon // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Looks like Crystal Palace will have a manager on Saturday:
    Not too much to be scared of there.

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I noticed an exchange between lesh and somebody else this morning, the other poster claimed that the majority of fans wanted to see the back of Pardew where as lesh quite heatedly replied that how could he speak for the majority of posters, I for one want to see him replaced as I have quite frankly had enough of him regardless of how much Mike Ashley has let him down and I think he is to blame in this aspect as he is now as he describes himself as being at ‘board level’ I would like to see Frank DeBoer coming in, as Ancientcoptic pointed out yesterday how could he worse than five wins in twenty three and ten goals or whatever scored.
    We all know that Ed’s polls can be misleading as different devices give an extra option to vote etc etc, lets have an in house vote of who wants to see the silver/brown tongued lothario and his stupid glasses replaced,
    I will start the ball rolling.
    OUT

• 79 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Grudge match on Saturday, opposing Managers from the ‘Tevez Affair’.

• 80 Jeff from Benwell // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

• 81 Jail for Ashley // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I think we should be able to spot brand new posters who might give an unfair reading especially if they carn’t stand him.

• 82 israeli_fan // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM

highlights from yesterdays game

• 83 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I shall join thee fair Jail

OUT

• 84 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

expat

I think Ashley is very clever (or tight) with his money and no way will not have had some deal in place to not pay the full whack out to the coaches if sacked…As you say, burnt by Allerdyce, he won’t leave himself in that situation again.

When you consider Poochettino cost spurs 9mil and then 4mil a year (80k a week isn’t bad) then it is a lot of money.

But at the same time could look at it in terms of how much it will help the club. Pochettino brought the team on a long way, got them playing great stuff and as a result they sold kids for a lot of money….they also made 9mil moving him on to spurs.

We could invest in a manager the way we do a player, give one a chance with ability but little experience in the UK, then he stays with us for a few years, maybe moves on but we reinvest the money (or a small part of it) in the next manager.

Swansea have shown you can get results despite a lot of managerial change by simply appointing a manager who plays the style you want and as a result can use 90% of the players he has, doesn’t need a squad overhaul every time.

• 85 DokToon // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

gmorning all,

im all for pardew staying as mgr.. he brought us to 5th place just a few seasons ago, and won manager of the year… defense wins championships, and the great pardew understands this… no need to score two goals when you can score one, and hold the opposition scoreless… he’s a brilliant, under rated manager, and im happy to have him…

ok, do i now understand the meaning of british sarcasm? :)

for ya thick ones, this is a joke, we need a new manager….

• 86 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM

People keep saying Frank DeBoer but his first port of call will be a Champions League club, I don’t think you can be so obvious. AP has at least another whole season before his contract tips the half way mark and should then become more likely to be terminated. By then we should be consistently a top ten side, appearing in Europe and more of an attraction for an up and coming candidate who has out grown his current managerial position. Or an existing Assistant Coach currently appearing in the Champions League, ie Paul Clement.

• 87 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Although Iantoon does have an alraming amount of other identity’s he uses to back up his baseless arguments.

I mean just the other day I caught him talking to himself in an obvious attempt of backing up his own points of view.

I can’t even remember who the alter ego was now something like Murvar or Murvur or something.

• 88 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Dok

That was perfect.

• 89 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM

70two

I think karanke at boro is alright, taken a poor/struggling side to a one which is solid, passes the ball and does relatively well with a very small budget.

I’d even consider sean dyche when burnly eventually go down.

I don’t watch enough of teams abroad to know all the options but there will not be a lack, get Carr looking for ones who fit the bill…then interview them properly, find out who and how they can take us forward, work in the means etc etc.

• 90 Mag52 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Rotonda.
    You are amongst a number on here who are hoping that sooner rather than later Ashley will dump Pardew.
    I really wonder what would change if this happened.
    Firstly the new manager would not be anyone with the reputation as being any good. MA wouldn’t pay the money needed to get the guy, and he wouldn’t be interested in NUFC anyway on account of the restrictions Ashley places on his managers.
    Let’s face it, who would take the job to be told, as AP was in May that ‘trophy chasing could not be risked as it may impact on NUFS’s Premier survival chances’ ?
    Anyone employed in place of Pardew would be expected to accept having his best players sold on once there was a profit to be had on them.
    He would, as the only club representative in communication with the media, be expected to defend and put a brave face on any daft decision taken by Ashley, and have a tough enough skin to put up with the ensuing flack. In spite of the record number of signings this summer, there’s been no replacement for Loic Remy, a goal scorer up front,and, let’s be honest, the players brought in were all at bargain basement prices in today’s market. They’re certainly not the wonderful array of talent that some of you seem to think they are.
    Pardew will hopefully keep us in the premiership. Of our three top ten finishes in the last ten years, two have been under AP, which isn’t too bad. Realistically we can’t expect much more than this while Ashley is in charge. A change of manager is unlikely to change anything.

• 91 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

It is still not as straightforward as in/out…..

I am all for OUT if we are getting a better guy.

But not for just anybody. People may insist that he is the worst manager in the history of the game, but in reality he isnt even the worst manager NUFC havr had (yeah people will say he broke all sorts of negative records last season, but on the other hand he hasnt had us relegated, and he still plays better football than say allardyce or Pulis for example). So again …..

OUT but not if we are getting another dud.

• 92 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Llambias should be shot for giving out those stupid 8 year deals.

Ash could have got rid of Pardew for nothing after the headbutt.

• 93 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Transfer Sage

Lee Charnley should undertake a thoroughly considered approach to employing the next manager. He has plenty of time to get the process right, qualified candidates and make a good decision.

I just have to keep reminding myself and stop making pointless suggestions, but its good to get things off your chest.

• 94 mindshaft // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

@Beattrol – agree with the sentiment although it seems Pards is trying to copy Mourinos way of playing with players who aren’t nearly as good, this in itself renders us useless.

As for putting a strong team out last night, it’s plainly down to having a better squad… Arrons, Abeid, Haidara, Taylor and Obertan are not in the first team

• 95 martoon // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

JFA @78 Although Ed’s polls can be skewed I still think it would be more accurate than counting out & ins.
    I am going to put my software design hat on:-
    If (Upgraded)
    Out
    else
    In
    :) :)

• 96 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

As I have talked about before with Transfer Sage the reason I would go for De Boer is for reasons beyond than the fact he has the potential to be a top class coach.

It’s the backroom staff and wealth of knowledge about the youth set up in relation to Ajax that really is priceless.

The fact he is tactically astute and likes to play on the front foot is just an absolute bonus but in truth should be the norm for top flight managers these days.

The fact is though he could rejuvenate the club from top to bottom. Fix a faltering starting 11, advise how to bring through the best youth players and also deal with a board that likes to sell the talent and replace it with youth. Add to the fact his wages would probably be on par with what Alan gets now (as at Ajax he is on a million less a year unbelievably) and it is a clear decision for me.

But more than the players sales, the lack on incomings, the stadium name changes, the dodgy sponsors and the lack of care and duress, the single biggest factor in my belief that Ashley doesn’t want anything for this club is his retention of Mr. Pardew.

Alan, bless his soul, isn’t that bad and would be a great manager for clubs floating around the championship top 12 or the premiership bottom 12.

But I for one aspire for NUFC to be more than that.

Although on a side note I would certainly go for Paul Clement as we have seen time and time again how coaches brought through the ranks, learning multiple European leagues, teaching youth and moving onto adults and then taking on a team of their own can work.

• 97 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM

M

Nearly had us relegated, but point taken.

It’s now gotten to the point though that there really can’t in all honesty be that many managers left as inept as Pardew.

Ash sacked Allardyce and JFK was finally pushed. so that’s 2 less and Curbishley must be calling it a day soon.

I just think it’s wrong just to always live in fear of someone being potentially worse when the current incumbent is failing so dismally.

I also appreciate that Ash’s only footballing connections are dubious to say the least so no one credible is going to scream at him ” FRANK DE BOER”.

• 98 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM

70TWO

That was the most unprofessional thing of all that no one else other than Pardew was interviewed for the post. Llambias stitched us up big time.

• 99 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM

mindshaft

I agree with the point that Pards fancies himself as a Mourinho.

However the difference is that Mourinho looks to adapt and change his style.

His direct, almost long ball style, worked for him but in recent years he hasn’t been as successful (in comparison to his own successes may I add) and for me it looks like the new Chelsea is playing a different way to the one of old.

I don’t know how long it’ll last but they seem to carry more of an attacking intent and are relying less on a big target man.

Each coach has a hallmark.

Mourinho’s is a solid defence with a quick transition from the back to the front.

Pellegrini seems to have patient build up play that sees the team play at alternating tempos.

Rodgers is very much a retain the ball and then speed up the attack when it hits the forward line.

Wenger is possession play that tires the opposition and continuously looks for the killer ball inside.

Pardews is a solid defence that gets it forward but only if they can and if not then defend for your lives boys…oh wait we are one nil down. Well that’s okay guys we can…oh no it’s 2-0.

• 100 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Rotonda

You also make a good point. While i do not find pardew totally inept, i accept he is clearly not the right man to take us to the next level. He struggled when we were in the europa league (even though he wasnt backed with a squad deep enough, he got out of the group so surely he could have done better in the domestic league?). He did well to get us there the previous season, but he cant hack the extra onus put on choosing the right players/style at the right time. The only time he got that right was the Benfica game. We were genuinely unlucky that day.

He is still too scared and too cautious. The only reason i still fear change is i simply DO NOT trust Ashley to get it right when picking a new guy. His list of poor decisions is as long as pardews.

• 101 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Mag 52

The concept of scouting young players, developing them and selling them on for massive profits then replacing them with a new generation is not bad at all and works very well for a number of highly successful clubs most notably Dortmund, Ajax and Sporting Lisbon.

The key word there is ” developing ” Pardew and his cronies couldn’t develop a cold. Carr may still be able to find the odd unpolished gem but that’s all they’ll ever amount to without proper 21st century coaches and management.

That is why investment in top coaches is imperative for Ash’s ” arsenal of the north ” to succeed.

• 102 Yohan Kebab // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM

my team for palace

Krul
    Janmaat Willo Colo Haidara
    Tiote Colback
    Cabella SDJ Aarons
    Chucky

Sissoko and Gouffran should be shown that they cannot be guaranteed a starting position and riviere needs to be taken out of the line of fire, time to give chucky a go up top

• 103 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Markaccus

I agree. I do not trust Ashley one bit.

However what if (and it is a big what if) Charnley can be trusted.

He has been at the club longer than anyone and previous to this Ashley was advised by a moron (JFK) a nightclub entrepreneur (Llambias) and a lawyer (Mort).

What if Charnley (who I don’t wholey trust) turns out to be a great advisor and tells Mike that to build a successful brand we need a good coach. Ashley seems to listen to those who he trusts (hence why we are stuck with Pards and were lumbered with JFK).

I just hope Lee is one of us that Ashley trusts and brings about positive change for the club.

• 104 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Dok

You had me going there for a minute!!!!

• 105 optimistic prime // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Dok
    Hahah

JFA

I used to read the blog to see if I could judge overall feeling from the fans, but couldn’t!

So I decided the best way to judge feeling amongst the fans was to look at our traveling support, and end of last year it was clear to see what they thought. Out!

I can’t be bothered to try and find out exact figures for the debt the club owes Ashley or how much the club cost him to buy so I’ll exaggerate the figures added together.

Let’s say the debt and cost of the club is around £350 million (no where near that much) we’ve been in profit last couple years by a few million here and there.

Now we received a extra £35mil from tv last year, note extra, extra for the people asking how we pay wages etc.

So if we say in average we are £35 mil in profit a year the way club is run at the min that means Asley is getting a 10% return on his investment every year, probably much more than 10%.

So in ten years under his plan the club will pay off its debt, pay for itself and still give him a profit and when he sells it’s all pure profit!

He won’t sell anytime soon unless it’s a massive profit, I doubt any of his other businesses give anywhere near that sort of profit and if anything I’ve lowered the profit margin not bigged it up.

The guy is going nowhere soon he’s taking it in for doing f all.

Out out out

Unfortunately I don’t see it happening anytime soon!

• 106 optimistic prime // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

He’s raking it in

• 107 Yohan Kebab // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

contrary to how we have fare dthe last couple of years, i think pardew is a very good cup manager, when he has a real go. because his natural inclination is to sit back, play percentages and hope to scrape a win,

the nature of cup games and extra time mean that we have a greater chance of proceeding

the problem comes when this attitude is adopted in the league, as you simply dont pick up enough points- see di matteo

• 108 optimistic prime // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Since Ashley has been here he’s pissed all over us whilst telling us it’s raining!

• 109 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM

go jail @ 78 !!!!!!!!

• 110 Rotonda heights // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Yohan

You might want to re-think that once you’ve seen pardew’s cup record !! The all conquering stevenage and brighton twice come to mind!

• 111 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Beatroll

Well, there is always that chance :D

I think, out of all of Ashleys trustees that have eventually seen the door, the only one who could be described as actually being “sacked” was JFK. I think Ashley was looking for a reason, as the rumour I heard was that he was employed by accident!!

Both you and Rotonda are probably correct when you say he has so far been advised by numpties, morons and pillocks.

• 112 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Yohan

I’d be inclined to agree.

The thing is though when you dig in against underdogs you’re going to get bit. That is why we have been knocked more often than not against weaker teams.

Playing percentages against better teams might see you win a knock out match but as soon as a smaller team smells blood in the cup, you are more or less done for.

• 113 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM

*knocked out

• 114 ToonFromLeeds // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Two things are apparent from the first few games. 1) we need a decent striker, 2) the formation needs to change as it’s proving to be futile

• 115 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Think i will get on PES tonight, make sure nufcs team is up to date and see if i can prepare a system to send to pardew :D

• 116 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Markaccus

I agree. Aside from the fact they were morons and pillocks, they simply knew nothing about football.

Even JFK lacked any knowledge of the game and he has been in it for 127 years.

Charnley though seems a little different as he has been at NUFC for 20 years (approximately) and worked his way up from office lacky. So I hope he knows something about the history, the virtues and the nature of the club and actually knows about the demands of top level football.

He is probably just another Ashley agent sent forth to destroy us.

• 117 londonderry toon // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I got told off y day for saying r players need to show more AMBITION i nil proves me to be rite still no CHUCKY y sign him

• 118 DokToon // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM

RH, & opti,

was simply tryign to show progress in my contributions to the blog :)

• 119 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Beatroll

Do you think being an agent of destruction for Ashley is easy?? Apparently you even have to provide your own White cat, and you cant get the obligatory disfiguring facial scar on the NHS.

• 120 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Markaccus

Does it also come with a zero hour contract?

• 121 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I am still looking forward to this season, we have some talented players so although stifled bound to see some good stuff.

• 122 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Ok we may not be able to oust Pardew but we can make it difficult for him and Ashley.
    Its ok by me if you all sit back and lap up his excuses. Be warned nothing will become of nufc under their tenure

• 123 Markaccus // Aug 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Beatroll

Yes, but in this case, Zero Hour refers to the time that Ashley fires the “Device”.

• 124 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Ha ha

• 125 John Tudor // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM

you would think pardews on zero hours contract they way he picks trains and sets up the team

• 126 Beatroll25 // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Sage

I would liken Newcastle to the Transformers trilogy (quadrilogy now).

It is going to have some decent moments and no doubt it will be action packed. But it has all the potential to be amazing but in the hands of the wrong director it is just souless and heartless and ultimaley pointless. When it finishes I won’t walk away happy with the small amount of good things, I will upset with the massive amounts of terrible things. I will ask how so something with so much to offer can offer so little back to its fans.

Mike Ashley is the studio that funds it in order to make a profit, Alan Pardew is Michael Bay, Steven Taylor is Shia La Boeuf (the everyday guy people can relate to), Remy Cabella is Megan Fox (the hot property who offers flair) and the fans that enjoy this crap are the mindless sheep that are herded about and proclaim it to be good and cannot wait for more of the same.

Well I say poppycock. Give me Guardians of the Galaxy dammit!

• 127 expatmag // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Warnock new palace manager

• 128 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Beatroll25 @126

Except more money was spent on that trilogy….and come to think, probably a greater number of disappointed punters worldwide. Consumerism has turned us all mad.

• 129 Transfer Sage // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM

beattroll

not seen guardians…doesn’t look good to me from trailers.

But I kind of agree, apart from taylor is a better actor than shia.

• 130 geordie157 // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Guardians of the galaxy is a great film.

• 131 Average_Contents // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Not sure if it’s been posted but looks like they might be let back in….for favourable coverage no doubt ;-)

Warnock at palace lmfao! That’s another off the list if parsnip gets f****d off :-D

• 132 Average_Contents // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Warnock at palace lmfao! That’s another off the list if parsnip gets fcuked off :-D

• 133 70TWO // Aug 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I have to admit that I was cross when comparing the ManU pre-season with NUFC, as LVG seemed to be successfully implementing a change in formation and tactics. All that Pardew seemed to be concerned with was getting players up to match fitness. However one thing I have also noticed is that our players seem to be more comfortable taking the ball under pressure and holding on to it, but this may be more through necessity.

After the performances at Villa and Gillingham I am looking for the team to create opportunities to score through passing and interchange, rather than the usual individual and instinctive strikes on goal that we have come to rely on. Palace will definitely be more of a test in this regard and will despite the added bonus of a new man in charge, should prove more than susceptible.

• 134 greekgeordie // Aug 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I was at Gillingham last night and the lad did ok, he still needs to improve his contribution skills as many passes went stray, but considering that last year he was playing in a much slower league, and the level of opposition lower to the EPL, he has to adapt to a new game, the promise is there and his most likely position is attacking midfielder, not a play maker.
    The team did enough to get to the next round, and this is what we, most of us, wished, we were in no danger and we dictate the game to our own speed and style.
    Some professional moaners will find reasons to criticise the manager, but this will be the case on what ever Pardew does.

previous post: Pardew Impressed With Newcastle’s Two Top Youngsters